Jimmy Graham "Barely Practiced" during the week before games

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Graham told CBS Sports at the Pro Bowl that he "barely practiced" during the weeks leading up to Sundays so he'd be ready for games. This was corroborated by teammates who said he barely did any work in the offseason or training camp, either.

Source: http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footba ... g-started/

If he barely practice and still put up those numbers then I can't wait until he has time to train with Russell and get that chemistry back.

OP
OP
theincrediblesok

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
It was six months before he was able to begin jogging. He was barely in shape in time for Week 1. Managing the week-to-week recovery was a major issue for Graham and the Seahawks all season. That caused him to sit out almost every day of practice.

It should be no wonder that Graham and quarterback Russell Wilson weren’t on the same page at times. The duo never seemed to develop the chemistry that Wilson had with receivers like Doug Baldwin.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jimm ... wks-013117

chris98251

Reaction score
Coming off his injury I would think they would give him rest as much as possible.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
So 6 touchdowns and over 900 yards with such limited practice -- I think he was utilized quite well. Offseason time spent with Russ will make him that much sharper.

OP
OP
theincrediblesok

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I think the TE position is one where him and Russell needed more connections. Especially if the team weren't even sure how he would respond after rehabbing to get back and how much would it limit his previous ability. Who know's if that's why Bevell might of limited some playcallings for Graham.

This year was filled with injuries, and locker room issues that even Wagner said there were alot more than usual.

I'm looking forward to this year when everyone is healthy and stays healthy enough to make a run.

drdiags

Reaction score
Problem is next season is his final year on the current contract. The team may have run out of time trying to get him indoctrinated into the offense. We will see but he more than likely moves on.

mikeak

Reaction score
Please officials no comments about not being able to go for full during practice. Don't need any more scrutiny over these issues

OP
OP
theincrediblesok

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
drdiags":ld4ym0l5 said:
Problem is next season is his final year on the current contract. The team may have run out of time trying to get him indoctrinated into the offense. We will see but he more than likely moves on.

He more than likely moves on (retire).....after winning a SB with the Seahawks. At least I'm hoping it goes that way.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Awesome, now the Seahawks are going to lose a first round draft pick....

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1066253y said:
I think he was utilized quite well.
Seriously, are you Darrell Bevell IRL, or do you know him or are related to him? I'm actually asking, it's not a joke question.

In any case...Graham's a baller, hope we start targeting him more, and in better situations.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Fully healthy and practicing, I expect a big year out of Jimmy.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
drdiags":2iaae6ka said:

I gotta disagree here. I would wager they extend him this offseason, lower his cap number and he stays with the Hawks for another 3 years at minimum.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2qim66xw said:
Siouxhawk":2qim66xw said:
I think he was utilized quite well.
Seriously, are you Darrell Bevell IRL, or do you know him or are related to him? I'm actually asking, it's not a joke question.

In any case...Graham's a baller, hope we start targeting him more, and in better situations.

Sioux City, Iowa is in the same county as the now defunct Westmar University where Bevell was the QB coach in '96. In '97 Bevell coached as a grad assistant at Iowa State. There's possibly a connection there.

Back on topic, I certainly hope they get Graham extended and with a lower cap hit. The fact he came back the way he did and made the Pro Bowl after that injury is simply remarkable. He has a few more really good years left.

nash72

Reaction score
drdiags":3rz0aany said:
We will see but he more than likely moves on.

Almost guaranteed to move on and who can blame him. He'll never be used right with Bevell calling the plays so he might as well go somewhere else where he's appreciated.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":391mib31 said:
So 6 touchdowns and over 900 yards with such limited practice -- I think he was utilized quite well. Offseason time spent with Russ will make him that much sharper.

That's a hot taek there. He led our TE group in snaps played, and by a wide margin. There's seriously no debate that he wasn't utilized well enough in the red zone.

We finished near the bottom of the league in red zone efficiency. Graham and Dez Bryant were 1 and 2 in the entire NFL for receiving TDs from 2010-2014. He didn't all of a sudden lose that skill when he got to Seattle.

Ultimately it comes down to play calling and overall scheme inside the red zone. Did his injury play into his production? Of course it did, but he was literally on the field for the majority of plays. He was out there blocking and running routes, it's disingenuous to now point to this to fit your narrative after the fact. Utilization continues to be a problem.

Please let Darrell know that he's allowed to watch tape of him while he was in New Orleans.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
scrummymustard":1v8r9fk5 said:
Siouxhawk":1v8r9fk5 said:

That's a hot taek there. He led our TE group in snaps played, and by a wide margin. There's seriously no debate that he wasn't utilized well enough in the red zone.

We finished near the bottom of the league in red zone efficiency. Graham and Dez Bryant were 1 and 2 in the entire NFL for receiving TDs from 2010-2014. He didn't all of a sudden lose that skill when he got to Seattle.

Ultimately it comes down to play calling and overall scheme inside the red zone. Did his injury play into his production? Of course it did, but he was literally on the field for the majority of plays. He was out there blocking and running routes, it's disingenuous to now point to this to fit your narrative after the fact. Utilization continues to be a problem.

Please let Darrell know that he's allowed to watch tape of him while he was in New Orleans.
Don't you see you contradict the point you seem to be making when you say he was out there blocking and running routes on nearly every red zone play and then you insist he was underutilized? Which is it?
I think the truth of the matter is that the combination of him drawing bracket coverage, not being as sharp while still recovering from the knee injury, limited reps and rhythm with Russ and overall team philosophy to help out an inexperienced offensive line in blocking duties kept his red zone numbers a little lower than career averages.
But he still finished just 2 TDs shy of the best tight end producer in the league and his catch and reception yardage set a team season record for his position, so he was actually utilized very well all things considered. He'll be even stronger next year and will get a contract extension.

Sign37now

Reaction score
Having a decent OL would make all the difference in the world. That and non boneheaded play calling.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":jc5i1m7u said:
This was corroborated by teammates who said he barely did any work in the offseason or training camp, either.

If I was Graham I'd be frothing at the mouth with rage after killing myself rehabbing one of the worst knee injuries a player can sustain getting all the way back for the start of training camp.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3i12itph said:
theincrediblesok":3i12itph said:
This was corroborated by teammates who said he barely did any work in the offseason or training camp, either.

If I was Graham I'd be frothing at the mouth with rage after killing myself rehabbing one of the worst knee injuries a player can sustain getting all the way back for the start of training camp.

It depends on what anyone meant when they said it.

"Jimmy didn't practice before games" is not a negative or a positive until someone wants to assume anything more into it then the basic factual statement made