Free Agent Offensive Tackle Options

Hyak

Reaction score
It does not seem likely that any of the potential unrestricted FA tackles will be franchised so there will be some options out there if the Seahawks want to add a veteran to the mix (which I think they will try to do so).

Okung, Clady, and Beachum have options due that could put them on the market again. I cannot see them reuniting with Okung and Clady is older and has battled injuries.

Beachum is a bit intriguing given his age and I think he visited or was scheduled to visit here last year before ending up in Jacksonville.

Andrew Whitworth should hit the market but at 35 he's hardly a long term option. He played well for them last year. Perhaps he chases a ring here

Riley Reiff from Detroit is interesting as he's 28 and has played both LT and RT solidly.

Luke Joekel also will be available and while he's been a disappointment in Jacksonville, that's largely because he went #2 overall. In addition, he's battled some injuries the last 2 years. That said, he actually played better for them at LT (1 game) and LG in 2016 before getting injured mid-year.

Thoughts?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
JTB":1cwwct1c said:
It does not seem likely that any of the potential unrestricted FA tackles will be franchised so there will be some options out there if the Seahawks want to add a veteran to the mix (which I think they will try to do so).

Okung, Clady, and Beachum have options due that could put them on the market again. I cannot see them reuniting with Okung and Clady is older and has battled injuries.

Beachum is a bit intriguing given his age and I think he visited or was scheduled to visit here last year before ending up in Jacksonville.

Andrew Whitworth should hit the market but at 35 he's hardly a long term option. He played well for them last year. Perhaps he chases a ring here

Riley Reiff from Detroit is interesting as he's 28 and has played both LT and RT solidly.

Luke Joekel also will be available and while he's been a disappointment in Jacksonville, that's largely because he went #2 overall. In addition, he's battled some injuries the last 2 years. That said, he actually played better for them at LT (1 game) and LG in 2016 before getting injured mid-year.

Thoughts?
What kind of money is Reiff going to command? He'd be plug and play at RT.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Anthony!":78pvexwi said:
JTB":78pvexwi said:
Top RT market is somewhere around 6.5M - $ 7 M per year.

We have plenty of money so that is not an issue right now

There is still the possiblily of Kam and or Graham holding out this year. We also have some others we may want to resign, new draft picks, buffer for season injuries so I wouldn't say we have "plenty of money". As of right now we are 21st in the league with available cap space so that means 20 other teams have leverage over us when signing free agents.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
It's been speculated in the past and I am sure they would be interested if he was available.

chris98251

Reaction score
As long as Cable is here they will bank on the Young guys getting it, were not going to sink money into a high price Vet, we may go for ageing Vet for a one year deal, it's just our history under John and Pete. In fact I would wager they will spend more on defense then offense this F.A. period as well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1nyjkv6f said:
Anthony!":1nyjkv6f said:
JTB":1nyjkv6f said:
Top RT market is somewhere around 6.5M - $ 7 M per year.

We have plenty of money so that is not an issue right now

There is still the possiblily of Kam and or Graham holding out this year. We also have some others we may want to resign, new draft picks, buffer for season injuries so I wouldn't say we have "plenty of money". As of right now we are 21st in the league with available cap space so that means 20 other teams have leverage over us when signing free agents.

But guys like Avril, Kam and Graham already have a high yearly salary, so giving them new deals isn't going to affect our cap space because they'd sign for roughly the same per year salary.

In fact if we give them new deals we can actually save cap space in 2018 by spreading out their new contracts, as opposed to big end of contract hit.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2ptc0vmi said:
Anyone think there is any legs in this rumor?

http://www.5thtackle.com/seattle-opens- ... mas-trade/

he's 32 but still the best tackle in football and I'd forfeit a 1st for him.

FWIW, I know a ... (I hate to say source because that sounds real official and yeah) pretty plugged in media reporter and he told me a year ago we were trying to trade for Alex Mack at the deadline, but the Browns were asking a kings ransom (We offered a 2, they wanted at least a 1 and 3) and we pretty much said.."yeah... right." The FO then considered chasing him in FA, but the Falcons offered him way more than we could have. Hence why Mack is with the Falcons and not the Seahawks.

With THAT said, I did ask about the chances Joe Thomas is traded and if so if he's traded here. He said trade, 5% .. traded to Seattle 1%. The Browns want players, they have more than enough picks. And Thomas is extremely loyal to the Browns franchise, as crazy as that may seem.

So - if he's right.. there are no legs to this. I wouldn't mind if he were wrong though, going from Fant to Joe Thomas would be like going from Honey Boo Boo's mom to Miss Universe.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3jtk2sgp said:
Anyone think there is any legs in this rumor?

http://www.5thtackle.com/seattle-opens- ... mas-trade/

he's 32 but still the best tackle in football and I'd forfeit a 1st for him.

The sheer veteran knowledge he would bring to the off season is irreplaceable, he's essentially a coach playing the game. He's been at the top of his position for years and continues to play at that level. This isn't some flashy type playmaker who we haven't had much success with, dudes in the trenches and would immediately elevate the players around him. I would be all for making a push to get him, though he's been pretty vocal about not wanting to leave Cleveland.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think we'd have to give up the farm for Thomas, which Pete and John have never done.

Unless it's something like a 1st, 4th and Graham.

btw, I'd do that. Probably pure speculation, but holy moly would that be awesome.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Really hoping they pick up TWO Tackles in free agency or via Trade. Or at the minimum, a really solid one to plug in right away. Joe Thomas would be unreal, has never missed a game, and clearly hall of fame level.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3tduqygo said:
I think we'd have to give up the farm for Thomas, which Pete and John have never done.

btw, I'd do that. Probably pure speculation, but holy moly would that be awesome.

I'm all for obtaining Thomas if he's available but I wouldn't want to give up a weapon to do it. To me, a huge benefit to getting a stud OT is in how it should help Graham focus on receiving more than having to stay in to block. Not to mention that losing Graham would make the TE spot a huge need.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JTB":3pnuc8bj said:
Sgt. Largent":3pnuc8bj said:

I'm all for obtaining Thomas if he's available but I wouldn't want to give up a weapon to do it. To me, a huge benefit to getting a stud OT is in how it should help Graham focus on receiving more than having to stay in to block. Not to mention that losing Graham would make the TE spot a huge need.

Of course not, but that's the kind of package you'd have to give up for Thomas me thinks.

Two years left on his deal, so Cleveland has the leverage in any negotiation. Just don't think a low 1st rounder would do it, gonna have to come strong like we did with Unger and a 1st for Graham.

bighawk

Reaction score
I like Thomas but not for a first they will want so many picks and he is 32 years old. He's Great but I would rather draft a young tackle and or sign a guy like Menelik Watson from the Raiders.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
bighawk":2q5gr14c said:
I like Thomas but not for a first they will want so many picks and he is 32 years old. He's Great but I would rather draft a young tackle and or sign a guy like Menelik Watson from the Raiders.

It's not like have done well with first round picks lately.

I would rather have a sure thing than a draft pick.

Thomas for a 1st is a no brainer.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
Keep in mind that landing Thomas would not only be whatever you give up in a trade (2 1sts?) but also an extremely rich contract that puts us in a cap-bind for a few years.

I'd love to have Thomas, but I love the farm right where it is.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
IF memory serves me correctly, I remember Denver turning down the trade because they thought a #1 was to much.

At the time, the Hawks were CAP straddled and couldn't take on the salary.
I'm just saying, I"m not so sure the asking price is exuberant as we might think. That of course is not to say, the price has gone up.