The NFL record the Hawks hold that may never be broken

seabowl

Reaction score
I was just reading (and reminiscing) about XLVIII and saw something I didn't realize until now. Seattle holds the record of a continuous lead in the Super Bowl of 59 minutes and 48 seconds. The only way I see this being broken is if a team takes the opening kickoff back for a td and never relinquishes the lead. Pretty amazing, no?

Maulbert

Reaction score
seabowl":guxib9vd said:
I was just reading (and reminiscing) about XLVIII and saw something I didn't realize until now. Seattle holds the record of a continuous lead in the Super Bowl of 59 minutes and 48 seconds. The only way I see this being broken if a team takes the opening kickoff back for a team and never relinquishes the lead. Pretty amazing, no?

Even then, it probably won't. The fastest score in Super Bowl history before XLVIII was Devin Hester's opening kickoff return in Super Bowl XLI, and that took 14 seconds. If the fastest man in the game can't score faster than 12 seconds, I doubt anyone else will, unless we get an onside kick return like that fluky one in the Cowboys-Eagles game a few years ago that gave Dallas a 7-0 lead only 3 seconds into the game.

Seymour

Reaction score
seabowl":3l9cywrj said:
I was just reading (and reminiscing) about XLVIII and saw something I didn't realize until now. Seattle holds the record of a continuous lead in the Super Bowl of 59 minutes and 48 seconds. The only way I see this being broken is if a team takes the opening kickoff back for a td and never relinquishes the lead. Pretty amazing, no?

And because of that, we also have the fastest score at 12 seconds for the Peyton's epic beginning. Also scored in 12 seconds in the second half from the Percy $10M kick return.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
That's a very interesting record that probably won't be eclipsed for a long time, if ever. Also our 43-8 score was the 1st and only 43-8 score in an NFL game ever. Highly unusual...and what a season that was.

Erebus

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":26l94kxr said:
That's a very interesting record that probably won't be eclipsed for a long time, if ever. Also our 43-8 score was the 1st and only 43-8 score in an NFL game ever. Highly unusual...and what a season that was.

There is an article on Field Gulls somewhere pointing out how every year in the Pete Carroll era we've finished a game with a score that has never happened before, just like the 43-8.

sutz

Reaction score
Not sure it counts as a "record" but I believe Seattle is the only team that has played in both the AFCCG and the NFCCG.

RiverDog

Reaction score
seabowl":13zpyv10 said:

A great trivia question. It ranks right up there with "Who was George Wallace's running mate in 1968?" Answer: "Curtis E. 'Bombs Away' Lemay".

razor150

Reaction score
:|
sutz":ctv97gdo said:
Not sure it counts as a "record" but I believe Seattle is the only team that has played in both the AFCCG and the NFCCG.

If you only take into account of what happened after the NFL and AFL merged, then yes.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Maulbert":2fhd1c02 said:
seabowl":2fhd1c02 said:
I was just reading (and reminiscing) about XLVIII and saw something I didn't realize until now. Seattle holds the record of a continuous lead in the Super Bowl of 59 minutes and 48 seconds. The only way I see this being broken if a team takes the opening kickoff back for a team and never relinquishes the lead. Pretty amazing, no?

Even then, it probably won't. The fastest score in Super Bowl history before XLVIII was Devin Hester's opening kickoff return in Super Bowl XLI, and that took 14 seconds. If the fastest man in the game can't score faster than 12 seconds, I doubt anyone else will, unless we get an onside kick return like that fluky one in the Cowboys-Eagles game a few years ago that gave Dallas a 7-0 lead only 3 seconds into the game.

Harvin's kick return for a TD took 12 seconds.

sutz

Reaction score
razor150":3o03frjc said:
:|
sutz":3o03frjc said:

If you only take into account of what happened after the NFL and AFL merged, then yes.
Considering that there was no AFC/NFC before that merger, :229031_shrug: I think there are a couple of teams that have played in the AFL and the NFL Championship games.

253hawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":1ak16k9j said:

That was a short kick and he played it off the hop. The first second didn't come off the clock until he crossed the 20. I'd say the only way for a faster score (without a direct turnover on the kickoff return) is a first-play TD by the offense after a touchback or a defensive return on a fumble or INT.

HawkGA

Reaction score
253hawk":2vmyydx1 said:
HawkGA":2vmyydx1 said:

That was a short kick and he played it off the hop. The first second didn't come off the clock until he crossed the 20. I'd say the only way for a faster score (without a direct turnover on the kickoff return) is a first-play TD by the offense after a touchback or a defensive return on a fumble or INT.

I remember a Seahawks-Broncos game that had a deep pass to Turner for a TD. Anybody got the tape to see how long that took?

Also, wasn't Favre's touchdown in the Super Bowl against New England a first play touchdown pass? Anybody know how long that took? Not sure if they led the whole game or not.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HawkGA":34dzdtw2 said:
Short pooch kick, Harvin had considerably less ground to recover. Not likely to ever be done on the opening kickoff of a Super Bowl.