Former Seahawk RBs HOF chances

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch and Shaun Alexander. Does Terrell Davis getting inducted to HOF help their chances. Numbers wise, Lynch and SA put up better career numbers than TD.

Here are their stats via NFL.com -

Marshawn - http://www.nfl.com/player/marshawnlynch/2495663/careerstats

Shaun - http://www.nfl.com/player/shaunalexander/2504258/careerstats

Newest HOF Terrell Davis - http://www.nfl.com/player/terrelldavis/2500330/careerstats

I case one could also make a case for Ricky Watters too as he's got comparable numbers as well.
http://www.nfl.com/player/rickywatters/2503567/careerstats

Erebus

Reaction score
I think Terrell Davis getting inducted helped, and so did Kurt Warner and Kenny Easley. The only knock against Lynch is that he doesn't have the career numbers of most HOF RBs, because he didn't play long enough. Davis, Warner, and Easley were all a little short on career numbers due to lack of longevity, and they all made it. Hopefully that means the longevity standard is going away and not just a one-year fluke.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Not sure on Lynch I think eventually as to Alexander all I can say is no RB who was a MVP and has 100+ rushing tds who is eligible is not in the HOF so eventually

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the HoF is beginning to realize it's not just about stats anymore. It's player impact, team MVP, etc...

In that regard, Lynch is a shoe-in 10 or so years from now.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Beast should get in,the impact he had was great and not many ever took that pounding he did.On SA all I will say is Beast before him..Above mentioned Kurt Warner years played ectThe guy played lights out with the time he had and had the stats.I love that he did this while being looked over by just about every team in the NFL.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I think Lynch is one yard short of a second ring, a Super Bowl MVP, and a slot in the HOF.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Lynch will get in and Alexander will not. Lynch's career and running style was remarkably comparable to HOFer Earl Campbell. And Lynch earned a ring which only emboldens his career. With Gayle Sayers and now Davis in, RB longevity is not essential to Canton. This isn't baseball where career numbers usually outweigh a brief, dominating legacy.

Nor is it just about regular season numbers. Lynch's impact in the playoffs throughout his career is what surges him over the top. And if we don't win another title in the near future, it will only reinforce the belief to the voters of just how vital Beast was to our championship.

As to Alexander, he put up excellent overall numbers playing behind a phenomenal OL, but he was not an intimidating player the way Lynch was, nor did he ever produce any truly legendary runs the way Beast did multiple times. Simply, Lynch had the "wow" factor and Alexander did not.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I'm afraid Lynch will fall into the same category as T.O. Players who deserve HOF, but who annoyed the voters during their career.

Lynch should be a HOFer. He defined the position during his tenure with the Hawks. His key highlights will be featured alongside the other all-time great highlights for as long as the league exists. He is a player who is instantly identifiable by face, and name, by fans of other teams, and by non-fans alike. If HOF is only numbers, he won't make it. If it's about players who made a generational impact on the game, he should be a first ballot inductee.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I don't think Marshawn annoyed the voting block, though. The media still loved Marshawn by and large, despite the avoidance. Whiny T.O. on the other hand...

I don't think Alexander is HoF-worthy. Marshawn is, though.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Terrell Davis is such a special situation. He was like a comet shooting past the NFL for 4 seasons. He did everything an HB could wish for in a career.

Pro Bowl
All Pro
2000 yard rusher
20 Rushing TD season
League MVP
SuperBowl MVP

After 4 years he had the same stats as Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith, Thurman Thomas, Marcus Allen, Tony Dorsett and Ladinian Tomlinson.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":38p7mll9 said:
I'm afraid Lynch will fall into the same category as T.O. Players who deserve HOF, but who annoyed the voters during their career.

Lynch should be a HOFer. He defined the position during his tenure with the Hawks. His key highlights will be featured alongside the other all-time great highlights for as long as the league exists. He is a player who is instantly identifiable by face, and name, by fans of other teams, and by non-fans alike. If HOF is only numbers, he won't make it. If it's about players who made a generational impact on the game, he should be a first ballot inductee.
The voters may not like him as that is media based correct?The players however have a say down the road and the Beast can get in this way just like Kenny Easley.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lynch only irritated the Media, the players and coaches respected him as a player and a force in the game, now the NFL Executives may be slighted a bit since he thumbed his nose at them, I'm just here so I don't get fined was a shot at them, as long as Goodell is in charge he may have to wait.

Anthony!

Reaction score
in the end other than personal feelings there is no factual reason for Lynch to get in and not alexander. I mean the whole mermorable thing is opoinion as I and those here with me to watch the SB all remember alot of Alexnaders runs. From a stats stand points here are where they are

Alexander

9453 rushing yards in 8 seasons as a starter, 100 rushing tds, 4.3 ypa, 1520 recieving yards and 12 more tds, longest run 88 yards.
3 x pro bowl, 2x 1st team all pro, 2 x 2nd team all pro, NFL MVP, NFL OPY, NFC OPY, Bert Bell award, NFL Rushing leader, 2x NFL TD leaders, 2000s all decade team.

Lynch
9112 yards in 10 seasons as a starter, 74 rushing tds, 4,2 ypa, 1979 yards receiving and 9 more tds, longest run 79
5 x pro bowl, 1x 1st team all pro, 2x 2nd team all pro, 2x NFL td leader, SB Winner.

Yes alexander had the better oline, Lynch had the better Qb, and in a run first offense and the better defense which means more opportunites.

All that said I think they both get in as the days of the 1 horse RB are going by the waste side. Its just a matter of when.