Chuck Powell interesting idea - trade Russell

Tical21

Reaction score
Chuck made a pretty compelling argument the other day. Since the highest paid qbs never win Super Bowls, it is smarter for us to go super cheap at quarterback? We could get two very high first rounders from Cleveland. We could get Watson and pay him pennies on the dollar for four years, spend the extra money on a couple more pro-bowlers, keep our picks and add another from Cleveland. We may even be able to get more!

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
As it sits right now, he's the 15th highest cap among QBs for 2017. I'm not sure what the issue is. Russell Wilson is still, relatively speaking, a bargain.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Wilson will be the QB for the duration of his contract and likely beyond. The organization would have to be fully convinced that Wilson is on the downside of his career to consider any drastic measure.

While the offseason is fun to conjure up progessive and unique approaches to a roster overhaul, the risk far outweighs the reward in this scenario. Watson could be just another fast running, athletic QB that lacks the intangibles to achieve at the NFL level. We know what Wilson is capable of when healthy-and that's pretty damn good.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think the emergence of Dak Prescott and what RW accomplished during his first few years has people thinking this foolishness. Guys who step in as rookies are extremely rare. For all we know, Watson could be the next Jamarcus Russell or Andre Ware or Akili Smith....none of those would be a good thing for the Seahawks. It's certain that RW is at least top 10 QB in the league, if not higher than that. Why part with that to create more uncertainty at a valuable position? Doesn't make much sense.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Finding a Franchise QB is incredibly difficult. I couldn't imagine the team dumping him after his fifth season in hopes of finding another quarterback even remotely near the productivity he provides this team.

He's the only QB in our franchise's history to throw for 4,000 yards...and he's done it the past two seasons.

seabowl

Reaction score
Yeah let's just throw out what he's done in 5 years with us especially because he's too old to perform anymore. :pukeface:

2_0_6

Reaction score
The Redskins are facing this dilemma with Cousins now. Pay him, or trade him for a few picks and hope to find another QB.

Hyak

Reaction score
He's an idiot. Trading Wilson for an unproven cheaper solution is crazy, ESPECIALLY given the state of the OL and the RB's being injury prone.

Aside from a few exceptions, teams do not win the SB without good to great QB play (2000 Ravens, 2015 Broncos) and it's arguably the hardest position to accurately scout. If you have a franchise QB, you have a chance to be a consistent playoff team.

Cap wise, Wilson's deal is not crazy. As pointed out, his 2017 cap number is 15th overall and that's not what's holding Seattle back.

The big problem is that the team as currently constructed has a huge gap between the core players who are in second contracts versus the rest of the roster aside from a couple of exceptions. The ROI from drafts in 2013 and beyond has been relatively poor. 2013 and 2014 were awful.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
It's a false equivalency because he's looking through the Tom Brady lens, who is probably the most criminally underpaid player in NFL history. But Brady is ok with it because he's made enough money and his wife is richer than he will ever be. Can't fairly compare anyone to Brady, because he should be the highest paid player in the league. He just willingly takes less.

Josea16

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1bz2tc11 said:
I floated this idea pre-2nd-contract.

Didn't go well, IIRC.
Glad someone remembers. He's a bargain by both his cap number and the percentage of the cap his salary takes relative to his position.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I think I could easily see Mr. Richard Sherman being traded more so than RW. This holds true after his "actions" this past season. ****I'm not suggesting that he should or would be traded **** I'm more into WHAT IF he was, what would the Seahawks get? The more top 100 picks the Seahawks can get in this draft the better. Sherman would at least bring a 1-st and change (2-nd, 3-rd. or 4-th. = maybe?) and with the depth of high end DB talent in the draft could possibly be adequately replaced using the 2 picks received in trade for RS + the 2 picks they were going to likely spend anyway, this could then be a minimum of a 4 DB draft. IF 4 of the following DB's are drafted & added to the current staff, the back-end would be set for years.

(1) Budda Baker*, (2) Kevin King*, (3) Adoree' Jackson (slot-CB/KR)*, (4) Rasul Douglas*, and
(5) Obi Melifonwu* ------->Likely all go in the top 100. --and--
(6) Ahkello Witherspoon*, (7) Tedrick Thonpson*, (8) Treston DeCoud*, (9) Shalom Luani*
all likely to go in the middle to later rounds. Personally, I like 1,2,3,4 early + 8 or 9 later. Competition!!!!

IMO- The Seahawks treat the first 6-8 games every year as extended training camp & preparation for the playoff run. Adequate time for new "higher drafted & hopefully more talented" DB's to earn their stripes. There could be some growing pains, but a lot of similarity with the offensive line, they have to play together and adapt to the system.

----Note: the 1-st round pick received would most likely be from a team with a much earlier pick than #26, which could greatly effect their possibility of landing a "prime prospect" & they'd still have #26 for a quality pick or trade down as well.

You never know with PC/JS at the helm, would they pull a Bill Bellyache and dump an ageing star? = I kind of like it.
:smilingalien:

Boiler

Reaction score
There's a saying, "those who don't remember history are doomed to repeat it" or something like that. Who here remembers the following sequence?

Kemp, Gelbaugh, Stouffer, McGuire, Mirer, Friesz, Moon, Kitna, Foley, Huard, Dilfer

AVL

Reaction score
The secret is to pay him 8-10 under the table and use the home town figure as leverage against other stars.

rjdriver

Reaction score
AVL":5bjwc57f said:
The secret is to pay him 8-10 under the table and use the home town figure as leverage against other stars.

That's probably what Kraft does. Seriously.