Terrell Davis' Hall of Fame nod is good news for Marshawn

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
Over the weekend, former Denver Broncos running back Terrell Davis was voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

And that could be good news for former Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch.

Davis was a controversial selection because his career included only three great seasons. When Lynch retired last offseason, ESPN's Mike Sando took a look at his Hall of Fame résumé, and one of the questions was Lynch's longevity.

Lynch ranks 37th all-time with 9,112 rushing yards. But that's more than Davis, who finished his career 55th with 7,607 rushing yards.

Here's a look at how the two backs compare overall:

Career Stats
SEASONS GAMES CARRIES YARDS YPC TDS
Davis 7 78 1,655 7,607 4.6 60
Lynch 9 127 2,144 9,112 4.3 74
Lynch played in 49 more games than Davis did and had better total numbers, although Davis had the edge in yards per carry.

Davis got the Hall of Fame nod because of three elite years from 1996 to 1998. He made three Pro Bowls, was a three-time first-team All-Pro and was a key figure on two Broncos teams that won the Super Bowl.

Lynch made five Pro Bowls, was a first-team All-Pro once and played a key role on one team that won a Super Bowl (and another that got there). His peak years were from 2012 to 2014.

Here's a comparison of the top three-year stretches for each player:

Best Three Years
CARRIES YARDS YPC TDS
Davis 1,106 5,296 4.79 49
Lynch 896 4,153 4.64 36
At first glance, Davis has the clear edge. But it's important to adjust the numbers to account for the different eras.

For example, Lynch's 896 rushing attempts from 2012 to 2014 ranked first in the NFL. But drop that number into the period from 1996 to 1998, and it would have only ranked ninth. In other words, the league was more pass-happy when Lynch played.

Davis' 5,296 yards from 1996 to 1998 was tops in the league and 3.9 percent more than any other back. Lynch's 4,153 yards from 2012 to 2014 was tops in the league and 4.8 percent more than any other back.

Davis had 17 more touchdowns than the second-place back during the three-year stretch. Lynch had eight more.

Both players were great in the postseason. Davis had 1,140 yards and 12 touchdowns while averaging 5.6 yards per carry in eight playoff games. Lynch had 937 yards and nine touchdowns while averaging 4.9 YPC in 11 games.

Overall, Davis' best three-year stretch was superior to Lynch's, but Lynch had the edge in terms of longevity.

Lynch won't be eligible for the Hall of Fame until 2021, but at that time, the case for him will look stronger now that Davis got in.

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... hawn-lynch

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Good write-up. It definitely makes Lynch's chances more promising. Another comparable career as well as running style is HOF Earl Campbell. EC played 8 seasons, racked up 9400 yards-4.3 avg and 74 TD-very similar to Lynch. EC never played in a SB but was a human battering ram for years-very similar style to Lynch. I believe Lynch gets in.

Anthony!

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":btbibcn1 said:
Good write-up. It definitely makes Lynch's chances more promising. Another comparable career as well as running style is Earl Campbell. EC played 8 seasons, racked up over 9000 yards and 74 TD. He never played in a SB but was a human battering ram for years-very similar style to Lynch. I believe Lynch gets in.

Its not just good news for Lynch but also for Alexander, whose stats match very well with TD, Lynch and Cambell.

chris98251

Reaction score
NINEster":1wg9m99t said:
Hopefully Lynch won't be judged like TO.

Lynch doesn't fire shots every time something doesn't go his way. He came off as anti Media, not anti establishment like Owens is acting.

Tical21

Reaction score
It's funny, Marshawn and Alexander have very similar numbers. They could be the closest comparison to each other. Either way, there are about 10 RB's that need to get in before either of them have a chance.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I was going to say Alexander has a better shot now too, but you guys have it covered. He won a league MVP award, went to a Super Bowl, and had 100 rushing TDs.

If TD can get in, Alexander has a legitimate shot now (I would have said before he wouldn't have a chance because he didn't have 10,000 yards rushing).

sdog1981

Reaction score
I don't know. Terell Davis is such a once in a lifetime event. In 4 years he did everything a running back needs to do to be a HOF.

2000 yard season
20 TD season
Pro Bowl
All Pro
League MVP
Superbowl MVP

These points make him just such an anomaly that you really can't compare other players to him or his career.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":2empudde said:
NINEster":2empudde said:
Hopefully Lynch won't be judged like TO.

Lynch doesn't fire shots every time something doesn't go his way. He came off as anti Media, not anti establishment like Owens is acting.

This.

Lynch was just aloof with the media, Owens was downright antagonistic, with not only the media, but his own coaches and teammates. Thus seven teams in six years.

On the other hand, Lynch was beloved by his teammates and coaches. Maybe there was some fatigue factor with his personality with some coaches? But certainly no animosity like Owens.

classicaaron

Reaction score
I really didn't think Lynch would get in but with TD getting in who to me is not deserving at all Lynch better get in. He was much more impressive than TD was. and there are quite a few running back who hit the 10,000 yard club, which should warrant an automatic induction, who don't even make the ballot. its ridiculous that TD made it.

Anthony!

Reaction score
sdog1981":a1rrhsyd said:
I don't know. Terell Davis is such a once in a lifetime event. In 4 years he did everything a running back needs to do to be a HOF.

2000 yard season
20 TD season
Pro Bowl
All Pro
League MVP
Superbowl MVP

These points make him just such an anomaly that you really can't compare other players to him or his career.

Okay lets compare

TD career 8 years
7607 yards rushing
60 tds
4.6 ypa
1280 receiving yards
5 tds
2× Super Bowl champion (XXXII, XXXIII)
Super Bowl MVP (XXXII)
3× Pro Bowl (1996–1998)
3× First-team All-Pro (1996–1998)
NFL Most Valuable Player (1998)
2× NFL Offensive Player of the Year (1996, 1998)
AFC Player of the Year (1996)
NFL rushing yards leader (1998)
2× NFL rushing touchdowns leader (1996, 1998)
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team

Alexander 9 years
9453 yards rushgin
100 tds
4.3 ypa
1520 recieving yards
12 tds
3× Pro Bowl (2003–2005)
2× First-team All-Pro (2004, 2005)
2x 2nbd team all pro (2001, 2003)
NFL Most Valuable Player (2005)
NFL Offensive Player of the Year (2005)
NFC Offensive Player of the Year (2005)
Bert Bell Award (2005)
NFL rushing yards leader (2005)
2× NFL rushing touchdowns leader (2001, 2005)
NFL 2000s All-Decade Team
Seattle Seahawks 35th Anniversary team

Hmm now lets add Lynch 9 years
9112 yards
79 tds
4.3 ypa
1979 receiving yards
9 tds
Super Bowl champion (XLVIII)
5× Pro Bowl (2008, 2011–2014)
First-team All-Pro (2012)
Second-team All-Pro (2014)
2× NFL rushing touchdowns leader (2013, 2014)

So comparing Alexander and Lynch to TD they are all pretty close. The only real difference is 2 SBs and an SB MVP. However SBs are as much about the team as the player and both Lynch and Alexander have some things over TD.

OP
OP
S

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
Does Lynch's playing style have any effect on evaluating his numbers?

I mean, the guy wasn't exactly trying to elude defenders....he'd just run them over.

Jac

Reaction score
I think Lynch has a great shot because he's an iconic player at the position (and has enough stats to make a case). He represents a certain era of football in the NFL. And now players at all levels are described as going "Beast Mode" after a violent skill position player. Kurt Warner only ranks #38 all time passing yards (with players like Cutler, Testaverde, Everett, etc. in front of him). But he was iconic because of where he came front and some of the magic he was part of.

Anthony!

Reaction score
The more I think about it I think both Alexander and lynch have a great shot at it, but for different reasons.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":3fvsipgz said:

I mean, the guy wasn't exactly trying to elude defenders....he'd just run them over.

If anything I think Lynch's running style would earn him more votes, than someone like Alexander that was known for running safe avoiding contact.

A lot of current HOF members and media people (who are the voters during the process) IMO will respect Lynch for playing the game the way it was meant to be played, running over bitches.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2a6q2yv2 said:
SixSeahawk":2a6q2yv2 said:

If anything I think Lynch's running style would earn him more votes, than someone like Alexander that was known for running safe avoiding contact.

A lot of current HOF members and media people (who are the voters during the process) IMO will respect Lynch for playing the game the way it was meant to be played, running over bitches.

Agreed but they will also remember him not wanting to talk with the media and wasting their time with the "a just here so I don't get fined", so that could help and hurt him. In the end as I said they both get in, in time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Anthony!":3vqygibb said:
Sgt. Largent":3vqygibb said:
SixSeahawk":3vqygibb said:

Agreed but they will also remember him not wanting to talk with the media and wasting their time with the "a just here so I don't get fined", so that could help and hurt him. In the end as I said they both get in, in time.

I'd also want to add that Lynch's post career amazingness has softened any ill will some would have had for Marshawn's approach to the media, and maybe even endeared him to a larger group of media and HOF players that may not have known that Lynch is so damn funny and personable.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ukl9ync said:
Anthony!":1ukl9ync said:
Sgt. Largent":1ukl9ync said:
SixSeahawk":1ukl9ync said:

I'd also want to add that Lynch's post career amazingness has softened any ill will some would have had for Marshawn's approach to the media, and maybe even endeared him to a larger group of media and HOF players that may not have known that Lynch is so damn funny and personable.

While I agree in principle we really don't know how the media view him personally and what affect it will have. As I said I think both he and Alexander get in, in time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Anthony!":109qc27q said:
While I agree in principle we really don't know how the media view him personally and what affect it will have. As I said I think both he and Alexander get in, in time.

I do on Lynch, but don't on Alexander.

Similar stats, but Lynch is a much more high profile player, and has a ring. Alexander played in Seattle before we were SEATTLE, has no rings and really only had that one monster year, surrounded by 4-5 other good, but not insane type years.

Jac

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3qqz59e7 said:
Anthony!":3qqz59e7 said:

I do on Lynch, but don't on Alexander.

Similar stats, but Lynch is a much more high profile player, and has a ring. Alexander played in Seattle before we were SEATTLE, has no rings and really only had that one monster year, surrounded by 4-5 other good, but not insane type years.

What's also going to play into this is the perception that Alexander ran behind two HOF'ers (assuming Hutchinson gets in), while Lynch ran behind a perceived abomination.