Kicker Blair Walsh signed (Yes that Blair Walsh)

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Im guessing as competition to Hauschka but still :|.

Hauschka hasn't signed and Bob Condotta thinks this means he isn't coming back so we may have our new kicker...

At least Walsh has helped us win in the play offs :sarcasm_off:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
:lol:

Well that's not the start to free agency I was hoping for

pcbball12

Reaction score
Hausch is a FA so I am thinking they are moving on from him. Which is fine. I think the low kicks (especially on the PAT's) drove Pete nuts. He commented on it in a passive aggressive way a few times this last year. I do think they bring in a Rookie to compete with Walsh though.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
pcbball12":3u2vshaf said:
Hausch is a FA so I am thinking they are moving on from him. Which is fine. I think the low kicks (especially on the PAT's) drove Pete nuts. He commented on it in a passive aggressive way a few times this last year. I do think they bring in a Rookie to compete with Walsh though.

Hausch will be dirt cheap after the year he had. Methinks he comes back and Walsh and Hausch compete for the job.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
He was very good at one point. If he is past his mental errors, could be a good pickup.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2fcfqczv said:
Not sure I like this move. :(

Walsh was historic for the Vikings for a couple years.. then he started to fade, then the wheels came all the way.

2nd chance ever work out for kickers?

zchurch74

Reaction score
We already have a kicker who misses field goals and cost us regular season games. Why are we signing a kicker to potentially lose a playoff game? This is an absolute joke of a signing! What is next, signing Kaepernick to back up Wilson

pcbball12

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":19wqv61l said:
pcbball12":19wqv61l said:

Hausch will be dirt cheap after the year he had. Methinks he comes back and Walsh and Hausch compete for the job.
Certainly possible. I just got the sense that Pete was done. The guy uses a 4 iron while chipping the green. Too many PAT's blocked without any pressure happening, just a guy at the line of scrimmage waving his hand and getting lucky. That crap can't happen. I think it is just Hausch's style too, which is fine on long kicks and was fine when the PAT was a gimme, but with the PAT's the way they are it just isn't working.

The Breh

Reaction score
In all fairness the laces were in and it was the 3rd coldest game in NFL history. The ball must have felt like a brick.
Everybody deserves a second chance, I know both Pete and John have that mentality.
Time will tell.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Any good college kickers that could come and compete? I don't doubt Walsh's ability but if he is gone mentally I don't think you can fix that.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
pcbball12":3ivlev1y said:
Hasselbeck":3ivlev1y said:
pcbball12":3ivlev1y said:

Certainly possible. I just got the sense that Pete was done. The guy uses a 4 iron while chipping the green. Too many PAT's blocked without any pressure happening, just a guy at the line of scrimmage waving his hand and getting lucky. That crap can't happen. I think it is just Hausch's style too, which is fine on long kicks and was fine when the PAT was a gimme, but with the PAT's the way they are it just isn't working.

To an extent, sure, Hauschka drove the ball low on a few of his misses. On the others though, yet again we couldn't block to save our lives.

Remember kickers are creatures of habit too.. if ANYTHING is off, it messes with their head. Given the long snapper rollercoaster and poor blocking, I think you saw Hauschka try to compensate for that and progressively got worse as the year went on.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":10rfi3sr said:
Any good college kickers that could come and compete? I don't doubt Walsh's ability but if he is gone mentally I don't think you can fix that.

Most college kickers don't get drafted, so I'm sure we can pluck an UDFA from somewhere if they have indeed moved on from Hauschka. I just don't think that's the case quite yet.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Gostkowski has been great for the pats but missed an extra point in the super bowl

this doesnt really bother me i just hope we do a lot more than this

pcbball12

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2mi1gn33 said:
pcbball12":2mi1gn33 said:
Hasselbeck":2mi1gn33 said:
pcbball12":2mi1gn33 said:

To an extent, sure, Hauschka drove the ball low on a few of his misses. On the others though, yet again we couldn't block to save our lives.

Remember kickers are creatures of habit too.. if ANYTHING is off, it messes with their head. Given the long snapper rollercoaster and poor blocking, I think you saw Hauschka try to compensate for that and progressively got worse as the year went on.
Ya, I agree with kickers it is almost always in between the ears. Hausch has always had a low trajectory, it has bothered me since day one. You can watch his kicks going back since he got here and try and count how many times had a waved hand been timed properly it would have blocked the kick...with zero pressure. I just think it is his style...he has to really think about getting under the ball. When kickers have to start thinking about that crap it can throw off everything. Instead of just having a guy that gets under the ball naturally.

Was the snapping and blocking good this year? No. But, a PAT should never get blocked with no pressure. It happened multiple times this year and there were other FG's that missed waving hands by a centimeter to the left or right.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Walsh could be better now..A change of scenery does wonders..I think we have moved on from H,it's not like he would take a pay cut..