Easley's Past?

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Obviously been a 'Hawk fan for awhile now, since the Holmgren years, but I'm pretty weak on my knowledge on a lot of the history of the franchise.

I saw Sheil Khipadia post on ESPN pertaining to how back in '02 Paul Allen stated he wouldn't induct anyone into the Seahawks HOF until Easley was inducted, or something to that effect. And Easley back then stated he wanted nothing to do with the organization.

What happened to create such animosity in the past between him and the organization? From what anybody can remember anyways. Thanks!

Seymour

Reaction score
They attempted to trade him in '87 IIRC to the Cardinals, and his side of the story is that they knew of his kidney illness at least 1 year prior. His side says they not only played him at least 1 year with the condition, but then tried to get what they could for him knowing the condition without ever telling him or anyone else. He found out about it after he failed the physical and then was forced to retire. Also the Seahawks then attempted to claim this was non football related which I'm sure would cut a ton of $$ and benefits from his eligibility. Many think it was the mass amounts of ibuprofen (from football pains) that caused this to begin with. He's had 2 transplants since, and swore off any affiliation with football.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Seymour":21bzias2 said:
They attempted to trade him in '87 IIRC to the Cardinals, and his side of the story is that they knew of his kidney illness at least 1 year prior. His side says they not only played him at least 1 year with the condition, but then tried to get what they could for him knowing the condition without ever telling him or anyone else. He's had 2 transplants since, and swore off any affiliation with football.
This, plus the team doctors fed him an insane amount of ibuprofen to control his pain enough to keep him on the field - which is a likely cause of his kidney issues.

Seymour

Reaction score
A-Dog":25ix3i8b said:
This, plus the team doctors fed him an insane amount of ibuprofen to control his pain enough to keep him on the field - which is a likely cause of his kidney issues.

Yep...you caught me updating as I noticed I left that out. Pretty much what I remember as well.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Brought this up in another post, seems relevant here as Riverdog had a good response to my question but I am curious to hear Ken's side of the story.

RiverDog":3gr760cr said:
seahawkfreak":3gr760cr said:
two dog":3gr760cr said:
Before the draft Kenny asked the Seahawks not to select him. He apparently
did not want to play for Seattle. Admittedly, the Seahawks were not a very good
team at the time.

Yet he played his entire career as a Seahawks and was the most intimidating
DB I ever saw. Apologies to Kam who is my current favorite player just as Easley
was in his day. Love those sledge hammers at the safety position.

This is kind of a downer to hear. If memory serves me correct he didn't really leave happy with us as well, then he had to retire. I wonder if he still has ill feelings towards Seattle.

Easley had some major grievances against the Seahawks over their treatment of his injuries and actually sued them over what he claims was their advice to take lots of Ibuprofen, which he claims damaged his liver and ended his career. The Hawks denied his claims. The case was settled out of court. But that was nearly two decades ago. I doubt that there's so much as a drop of bad blood remaining.

I'm not holding his not wanting to play for us in the beginning against him. A lot of players express a desire not to play for specific teams. Once he was here, he put that aside and played his guts out for us.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2af1dn8n said:
A-Dog":2af1dn8n said:

Yep...you caught me updating as I noticed I left that out. Pretty much what I remember as well.

I think the team doctors probably administered all kinds of painkillers to him causing the kidney failure/disease. I'd be pissed off as much as Easley too. The team robbed him of a healthy, normal life. I'm guessing his heart problems also are possibly related.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
I heard an interview with Kenny Easley and Hugh Millen earlier today on KJR talking about the HOF and other things, I think it was taped earlier this week.

What has been mentioned above is exactly what Easley states in his own words, but there's more.

Kenny stated that during the lawsuit his lawyers subpoenaed all the Seahawk medical records from 81-87 and they initially only supplied 81-85 records.

When his lawyers showed up with the cops and another subpoena that basically stated gives us these records or go to jail, today.

They got the records they were after and they clearly showed the Seahawks medical staff knew he had a problem and they knowingly tried to trade him knowing full and well he had kidney problems related to pain medications that the Seahawks medical staff provided/prescribed to him.

He didn't elaborate on how high the issue was know in the organization, but I sure hope John Nordstrom wasn't involved.

He deserved everything he got and more and I don't blame him one bit for being bitter about it and respect him even more for putting it behind him.

He did state he was involved with an arena football league back east where he now lives so he is again involved in football.

Hope this helps.

GO HAWKS!!!

OP
OP
Nothinbutm

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
That is some pretty atrocious crap.

Glad Kenny can put that behind him and even raised the 12th man flag. I can't imagine how greedy those administrators for the organization were back then.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think I remember him saying that Paul Allen personally reached out to him a couple of times.
All "the crap" happened prior to Mr. Allen owning the team.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3v36qn3l said:
Brought this up in another post, seems relevant here as Riverdog had a good response to my question but I am curious to hear Ken's side of the story.

RiverDog":3v36qn3l said:
seahawkfreak":3v36qn3l said:
two dog":3v36qn3l said:
Before the draft Kenny asked the Seahawks not to select him. He apparently
did not want to play for Seattle. Admittedly, the Seahawks were not a very good
team at the time.

Yet he played his entire career as a Seahawks and was the most intimidating
DB I ever saw. Apologies to Kam who is my current favorite player just as Easley
was in his day. Love those sledge hammers at the safety position.

This is kind of a downer to hear. If memory serves me correct he didn't really leave happy with us as well, then he had to retire. I wonder if he still has ill feelings towards Seattle.

Easley had some major grievances against the Seahawks over their treatment of his injuries and actually sued them over what he claims was their advice to take lots of Ibuprofen, which he claims damaged his liver and ended his career. The Hawks denied his claims. The case was settled out of court. But that was nearly two decades ago. I doubt that there's so much as a drop of bad blood remaining.

I'm not holding his not wanting to play for us in the beginning against him. A lot of players express a desire not to play for specific teams. Once he was here, he put that aside and played his guts out for us.

Not holding it against Easley either. The dude showed up and balled. I will always dislike Dorset for it though. Too bad Warner had his career cut short. I would have liked to compare stats at the end of their careers. Who knows, maybe they would have compared. Warner was talented.

I know, kinda off topic. But seeing the "not wanting to play" quote brought up feelings, lol.

chris98251

Reaction score
There is a difference of not wanting to play for a pretty new team still experiencing expansion sickness, he never pulled a Jeff George, a Eli Manning or a John Elway type drama event.

baumer64

Reaction score
Kenny Easley was a beast! Once he came in as a Seahawk he gave his all for the team as well. He was a very good cover guy but made receivers afraid to cross the middle as he was a ferocious hitter. I remember him as kind of the Kam Chancellor of that era. When our punt returner went down, he volunteered to do that too and did an amazing job returning punts. I remember how shocked and crushed I was when I heard that he had been traded, then saddened to hear of the physical issues. If I remember correctly, Advil wasn't a regular over the counter pain killer then like it is today. The stuff worked though so they had him taking lots of it and as others have said, that's what caused his kidney problems.

He's very deserving of the HOF and MUST be added to the Ring of Honor!