Question: players on IR. Allowed to practice?

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Recent stories suggest players on Injuried reserve could be possible options to not only make the team, but become significant contributors in 2017.

For example, some mock drafts project the Hawks drafting a Cornerback in the First round. However recent articles suggest Stanley Jean-Baptiste or Mohammed Seisey could rise up from IR to become major contributors. That's a significant leap of faith. Seattle has a unique style of play that takes time to master. Practicing this technique will help this become muscle memory. Baptiste and Seisey suffered non major related injuries, so can players on IR practice on the team if they're cleared by the medical staff?

If so, the team is filled with players that are fit the, "not significant injuries, but on IR category".

DLinemen Demontre Moore, Quentin Jefferson, Garrison Smith.
RB/FB Tre Madden, Troymaine Pope, Brandon Cottem
CB mentioned

This would really help the team evaluate their roster based on what they see on the practice field. if not, oh well.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Yes, if cleared by the medical staff, all of those players will be in play to earn a roster spot.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I'm kind of excited for three players, Jefferson, desir and Madden. The Madden is unique for the rb position. I hope he explodes this year. 6'1, 220, could be insurance if prosise can't stay healthy. Although, when I watched his college film, he looked a little bigger than 220.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Actually as far as I can find players can not practice with the team once placed on IR (unless they are the 1 designated to return player).

A team may place a player on injured reserve (reserve/injured list) who is "not immediately available for participation with a club". Generally, these players may not practice or return to the Active List for the rest of the season (including postseason games or the Pro Bowl) in which they are placed on injured reserve, but are allowed to be with the team
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injured_reserve_list

So technically by letter of the law players are able to "stay with the team" which I'm assuming is so they can use team facilities for rehab and working out but aren't allowed to practice.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":l9a8zdt5 said:
Actually as far as I can find players can not practice with the team once placed on IR (unless they are the 1 designated to return player).

A team may place a player on injured reserve (reserve/injured list) who is "not immediately available for participation with a club". Generally, these players may not practice or return to the Active List for the rest of the season (including postseason games or the Pro Bowl) in which they are placed on injured reserve, but are allowed to be with the team

So technically by letter of the law players are able to "stay with the team" which I'm assuming is so they can use team facilities for rehab and working out but aren't allowed to practice.
I'm pretty sure the OP is speaking of the 2017 season. Once OTAs start, players IRd last season will be able to fully participate if healthy and they are under contract.

sutz

Reaction score
I don't think IR means anything after the season ends (early March IIRC) and until next season starts. Then it's up to the team doctors to decide if they are healthy enough.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1eo8th3h said:
DJrmb":1eo8th3h said:

I'm pretty sure the OP is speaking of the 2017 season. Once OTAs start, players IRd last season will be able to fully participate if healthy and they are under contract.

I read the OP as asking about practicing during the season, after their injuries had healed, if they could come back and practice with the team (during the 2016 season). Why would there be any question on if they could practice the following season? I'm pretty sure he was wondering if said players could continue honing their abilities with the coaches and practicing technique while on IR in 2016. Hence this statement from OP:

so can players on IR practice on the team if they're cleared by the medical staff?
Once the league year ends players aren't on IR anymore.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":32e8t3mp said:
Siouxhawk":32e8t3mp said:
DJrmb":32e8t3mp said:

I read the OP as asking about practicing during the season, after their injuries had healed, if they could come back and practice with the team (during the 2016 season). Why would there be any question on if they could practice the following season? I'm pretty sure he was wondering if said players could continue honing their abilities with the coaches and practicing technique while on IR in 2016. Hence this statement from OP:

so can players on IR practice on the team if they're cleared by the medical staff?
Once the league year ends players aren't on IR anymore.
Oh OK, now I understand what the OP is getting at. Thanks for clarifying.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
No, they cannot practice with the team under any circumstances, until they are placed on the active roster (although I'm not sure how OTAs play into all of this)

On the opening day of training camp, players injured the previous season, can be placed on either the active roster or the active physically unable to perform (PUP) list. If they are on the active PUP list, they cannot practice with the team until they are activated off of the list, and, during the preseason, they may be activated immediately once medically cleared.

At the end of training camp, players on the active PUP list are either activated or are transferred to the reserve PUP list, where they must remain for 6 weeks before they can be activated. In comparison to the IR list, there is no limit on the number of players who can be activated off of the reserve PUP list.

As soon as a player participates in practice, he is no longer eligible for the PUP lists.

Basis4day

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1it2k1gf said:
No, they cannot practice with the team under any circumstances, until they are placed on the active roster (although I'm not sure how OTAs play into all of this)

On the opening day of training camp, players injured the previous season, can be placed on either the active roster or the active physically unable to perform (PUP) list. If they are on the active PUP list, they cannot practice with the team until they are activated off of the list, and, during the preseason, they may be activated immediately once medically cleared.

At the end of training camp, players on the active PUP list are either activated or are transferred to the reserve PUP list, where they must remain for 6 weeks before they can be activated. In comparison to the IR list, there is no limit on the number of players who can be activated off of the reserve PUP list.

As soon as a player participates in practice, he is no longer eligible for the PUP lists.

IR ends your season (except the one designated to return player). You can no longer practice.
The following season you can participate in OTAs if cleared by medical staff.
Next is training camp. You summarized the rules well.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Basis4day":29fdwx2t said:
IR ends your season (except the one designated to return player). You can no longer practice.

I know you can participate in OTAs if cleared. What isn't clear to me is whether a player, who was on IR the previous season, could still be eligible for the PUP list if he participates in OTAs. This goes against the spirit of the PUP list, but the way I read the rules, it seems this is possible.

Basis4day

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1at96b7a said:
Basis4day":1at96b7a said:

I know you can participate in OTAs if cleared. What isn't clear to me is whether a player, who was on IR the previous season, could still be eligible for the PUP list if he participates in OTAs. This goes against the spirit of the PUP list, but the way I read the rules, it seems this is possible.

Yes. You can participate in OTAs and still be eligible for PUP. In fact, part of OTAs is about evaluating a players overall heath going into the season.

The idea of PUP is your physically unable to play professional football. In other words, your ability to play full contact. It's not against the spirit at all.

Latest posts