Sherman Smith, Seahawk's RB coach, no longer with Seahawks

chris98251

Reaction score
Hmmm Tom Rathman has done wonders with Running backs over the years in S.F., they have attitude Would love to see him come North.

Ahh found an article where Chad Morton is taking over, played 7 years, must have had a remarkable career, has worked with the Packers as well. Based on how well the Packers have run the ball over the last decade sounds like another shadow in Cables hierarchy, I thought he was the one that had a lot of involvement with the running game.

Sherman is a Seahawk thru and thru, can't imagine him leaving unless there as a bit of disagreement of some sort.

sdog1981

Reaction score
A little random that they would let him go.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
This is a very odd move, really thought Sherman was a good coach.

Also, Lofa will not be back either:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/831346573070065665[/tweet]

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
The Sherm Smith move doesn't make sense to me, unless Smith is the one who initiated it. By all accounts, he was a good developer of talent. And you certainly can't judge him on last year, when his stable of backs all had long stints in the infirmary.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Too bad....Smith was an excellent coach. Just a pure speculation but Smith probably told Cable to take a stick and shove it up his arse. Thus a disagreement. Had Cable done his job in coaching the OL, the running game would have been much better. Again the wrong guy gets let go. Wow...some of the recent decisions by PC/JS are truly baffling.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
What a bizarre and yet another questionable move by Carroll. Unless Smith did something completely insubordinate to Pete, this makes little sense. By all accounts Smith was well thought of and a tough, old school coach and our original RB. Sad to see him go.

And Lofa dismissed too? The LBs were not the problem with this team. Even with occasional struggles in coverage, it was a stellar group by and large.

It sure seems like Pete's priorities are a bit out of whack lately. He gets rid of those guys and yet Cable and Bevell are both returning for their 7th year.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I'll wait before I jump to conclusions, but both served the team well and will be missed.

IrishNW

Reaction score
seems like the wrong coaches are leaving...we wont really know until next season

AgentDib

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3aqotzyn said:
Just a pure speculation but Smith probably told Cable to take a stick and shove it up his arse. Thus a disagreement.
It could be that, or it could be that Smith is pursuing an acting career after bumping into Ashton Kutcher at theOutback Steakhouse in Redmond. Almost certainly one or the other.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1a00cy0n said:
I'll wait before I jump to conclusions, but both served the team well and will be missed.
Me too but I don't know if both will be missed..We could get better coaches in place

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3msupp9i said:
The Sherm Smith move doesn't make sense to me, unless Smith is the one who initiated it. By all accounts, he was a good developer of talent. And you certainly can't judge him on last year, when his stable of backs all had long stints in the infirmary.

No offense but we can go back to 2009,

Justin Forsett was solid here but had stellar seasons elsewhere.

Cannot really say he developed Lynch, since he was traded in his 4th season, and much of Lynch success came when he finally bought into Cable's system in the latter half of 2011.

Then there is Robert Turbin, looked like the Beast, played like Belle. Never could translate his college game to the field.

Christine Michael. So much potential, with little result.

Spencer Ware... look what he's done for KC.

I would say Prosise's sample size success was more the product of Bevell' s system maximizing Prosises abilities rather than being coached up. The guy was more deadly as a movable asset and as a receiver than a runner.

It took Collins half the season to start gaining any traction. Sure that could be attributed to the Oline.

And for Rawls, that's really the biggest positive, however I think a lot had to do with Rawls himself, when Rawls is allowed to go all out in his style, he's a wrecking ball of passion and guts. When he has been held back and cautioned he's looked average at best. I'm sure Smith has improved Rawls but you can't coach up the grit and toughness guys like Lynch and Rawls possess. It's more than a mentality, it's a lifestyle. If you could coach it, then Christine Michael would be one of the best RBs in the game. Hes not.

So in Smith's tenure, the two most successful RBs are probably more a product of thier own mindset of being ultra physical.

Two RBs have went elsewhere and found much more success with other teams in Forsett and Ware.

Two RBs were the most physically gifted specimens but couldn't put it together as runners in Turbin and Michael's.

I'm willing to overlook Prosise and Collins, as the were rookies behind a raw Oline, with an injured Russ Wilson.

Point is I never really had an issue with Sherman Smith, he had that allure of being the first Seahawks RB, but I mean I wouldn't call him a great coach that maximized his talent or irreplaceable. He also was far from horrible.

But if Chad Morton is the guy, I can see the appeal, the guy was a Swiss army knife, perhaps the Seahawks want well-rounded RBs capable of running and Recieving. Perhaps Morton had an offer, and the Seahawks kept him by promoting him and expanding his role, keeping a hybrid coach over an old school one.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Hmm. I'll wait until the dust settles and see/hear what happened. But, with the exception of Beastmode, the talent was so-so. Justin Forsett
2010 - 118 carries, 543 yards
2011 - 46 carries, 145 yards
2012 - (HOU) 63 carries, 374 yards
2013 - (JAX) 6 carries, 31 yards
2014 - (BAL) 235 carries, 1266 yards
2015 - (BAL) 151 carries, 641 yards
one break out year. he's a complimentary player. not a 3 down back.

Christine Micheal
He was traded to Dallas last year. Had an opportunity to run behind the best OLine, but was cut. Hawks stayed with him far too long.

Robert Turbin
He played for CLE and DAL in 2015 and INDY last year with little success. 4 teams. 4 different coaching staff and little success.

Spencer Ware
A RB at LSU, but converted to FB with the Hawks. Who's decision was it to try this?

2016?
Rawls - hurt throughout the year
Michaels - Imploded
Prosise - please see Rawls
Farmer - CB, switched to WR. switched to RB...time to settle into a position/role?
CJ Spiller, Terrance Magee, Tromaine Pope, JD McKissic, Alex Collins....

Again....I'll wait until the dust settles.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":ceu8radv said:

Totally agree, we probably will never know what precipitated this move, but I really suspect it was his decision and he was not forced out.

I truly doubt Pete had anything to do with it. The team however just lost a very good coach.

crosfam

Reaction score
Could be as simple as a desire to get some fresh blood on the staff. For Lofa, It is not uncommon for a new coach to move on after getting a start on his local team. Either that or he decided to pursue other interests besides coaching.

London12

Reaction score
Let's get rid of all the coaches but the one that matters. Our own "expert" coach.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I know PC has made a few questionable calls. But he isn't knee jerk, and he is loyal as hell to his coaches(see cable and bevell). So, I imagine there is a reason why PC let him go. I don't think he caved to pressure from outside sources, or trying to make a point. He doesn't care what outside sources think.