Why not Walt??

Seymour

Reaction score
I've heard Walter Jones more than once say he'd love a shot to coach with his Hawks. When Cable got here he had more experienced linemen, a top 3 RB in Lynch, a top 3 running QB in Wilson, and even the highest paid line in 2013 when we rode the ponies into the ground. It worked well and his ZBS was churning up the yards while Wilson developed.
Well that was then this is now. Running has dropped to bottom 1/3rd we have Graham, Wilson, Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett, and re emerged Richarson, and need to go to our strength. Cable is notoriously bad in pass blocking and always has been. The only bad reason I think Pete gives him one more year, is he took all his player cash and spent it, and cannot can Cable since Pete's hand is in it. Anyway, maybe they get destroyed one more year and we see Walt. That would be cool, even if he learned on the fly (but I obviously don't want to lose to see this either). Catch 22

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
I don't know about Walt. Yes Walt had great work ethic, but he was also one of the physically gifted athletes in history. It might be hard to be able to teach things when they came to him so easy and naturally.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Any coach at this point is better than Cable.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'd personally prefer he be Fant's mentor. Like every day. All offseason. Pushing trucks, watching film, working on technique. Dont know that he's a cerebral enough guy to be a great coach, after listening to his recent interviews. But, Tice.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I would love to see him brought on in some sort of capacity. Why not? What do we have to lose?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
The fact Walter has indicated interest begs the question why Pete wouldn't at least consider bringing him on as a consultant or advisor. I'm sure at a minimum the guys would love having him around during training camp.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Pete would probably love Walt in as an advisor, in internship if you will, but I"m sure it would have to go through Cable and I'm afraid ego would not allow it. Lets say, the OL all of a sudden started to be the line Cable envisioned.. was it Walt's magical touch, or was it Cable, and Cable would not want to be 2nd guessed.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tical21":n8jvvdqs said:
I'd personally prefer he be Fant's mentor. Like every day. All offseason. Pushing trucks, watching film, working on technique. Dont know that he's a cerebral enough guy to be a great coach, after listening to his recent interviews. But, Tice.
It's an experiment worth trying. Do you disagree? (Referring to making Big Walt the OL coach, not mentoring Fant.)

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hollandhawk":23vcpve4 said:
I don't know about Walt. Yes Walt had great work ethic, but he was also one of the physically gifted athletes in history. It might be hard to be able to teach things when they came to him so easy and naturally.

Bingo!
Naturally gifted athletes don't often make for naturally-gifted coaches. Walt was more of an introvert...not the engaging sort of personality that it usually takes to become a coach. Would love to have him come in as an assistant for a trial run to learn the ropes; however, I think that bringing him in to replace Cable while 'learning on the fly' is completely ridiculous. In fact, I'd be pissed at the organization for setting the best player to ever wear the Seahawks uni up for jeopardy. Good thing the FO and Carroll would never do that.

All of that said, he's open to helping our OL in some fashion. l would Iove to see the org kick his tires. Ya never can tell, because Walt has already indicated that he would work for the Seahawks if asked, and with how driven he is, you know he'd put his heart and soul into it.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1t8p021u said:
Hollandhawk":1t8p021u said:

Bingo!
Naturally gifted athletes don't often make for naturally-gifted coaches. Walt was more of an introvert...not the engaging sort of personality that it usually takes to become a coach. Would love to have him come in as an assistant for a trial run to learn the ropes; however, I think that bringing him in to replace Cable while 'learning on the fly' is completely ridiculous. In fact, I'd be pissed at the organization for setting the best player to ever wear the Seahawks uni up for jeopardy. Good thing the FO and Carroll would never do that.

All of that said, he's open to helping our OL in some fashion. l would Iove to see the org kick his tires. Ya never can tell, because Walt has already indicated that he would work for the Seahawks if asked, and with how driven he is, you know he'd put his heart and soul into it.

Bringing him in as an assistant would be more ideal obviously, but the problem there is Brennan Carroll Pete's son holds that position since 2015. Doubt that works out too well. I also happen to trust that if Walt does have the desire to get into coaching, that he is knowledgeable and professional enough to pull it off. I actually don't care (to a point) who they bring in, but new blood and change is clearly needed IMO.

Boycie

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1gurrfol said:
The fact Walter has indicated interest begs the question why Pete wouldn't at least consider bringing him on as a consultant or advisor. I'm sure at a minimum the guys would love having him around during training camp.

Because we can't have anyone coming in and undermining the O-line genius Cable. :sarcasm_on:

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
Walter Jones was the best LT ever to play the game, not just because of his physical skills.

He was also technically correct with foot and hand placement, and clearly knew leverage and how to predict and prepare for the oppositions attack.

If just SOME of that can come across, it would be worth it.

As of now he is not yet a coach (read: experienced in breaking it all down for others), but he'd be an incredible asset to bring in as an assistant, and have him focus on one-on-one skills sharpening while he continues to build up the knowledge needed to coach vs perform.

nash72

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":13h7cvsn said:
Anybody else heard the saying, "Too many cooks in the kitchen spoils the broth?"

But if the broth is already spoiled, what can it hurt?

Tical21

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2biq5dhs said:
Tical21":2biq5dhs said:
It's an experiment worth trying. Do you disagree? (Referring to making Big Walt the OL coach, not mentoring Fant.)
I'd prefer high school, college, or assistant line coach first, but wouldn't freak out if he was given the job. Can't hurt at this point.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":p3othgik said:
Anybody else heard the saying, "Too many cooks in the kitchen spoils the broth?"
A lousy cook can mess up the broth pretty quick too.
Cable's good at Coaching a Run First O-Line, but he is lacking in Coaching both run & Pass-Pro.
Walter Jones = LT TECHNIQUE genius....That IS something that can be Coached, and who better to HELP Cable in the Pass-Pro transition, AND with his HOF understanding of how to get the LT & LG to work in unison, like how he and Steve Hutchinson did.
Oh and, Big Walt & Hutchinson were also outstanding at doing BOTH Push for the Run game, and Pass Protection.

Ex RB Stump Mitchell = RB Coach?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":32np7b5g said:
I'm sure at a minimum the guys would love having him around during training camp.

I'm sure they would, but he wouldn't show up.

crosfam

Reaction score
Seanhawk":32xjkya9 said:
West TX Hawk":32xjkya9 said:
I'm sure at a minimum the guys would love having him around during training camp.

No need to be "at the minimum" as coaches/advisory salary does not count towards any cap.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
crosfam":nu1zfh5v said:
Seanhawk":nu1zfh5v said:
West TX Hawk":nu1zfh5v said:

No need to be "at the minimum" as coaches/advisory salary does not count towards any cap.

My post was a "Walt never shows up to training camp" joke, his was a comment about the guys would love having him around at the very least. You interpreted them as being about salary...very strange.

Latest posts