Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Why not Walt??

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Why not Walt??
Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:07 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote: Objective? LOLOL, you're basing your skepticisms and arguments about Walter Jones on what you DON'T/CAN'T really KNOW.......You be trying to create in a VACCUUM.

And by that I assume you are basing your optimism and arguments about Walter Jones on what you DO KNOW?

None of us know Walter Jones, at least not beyond what can be gleaned from a Google search...a point I've made on several occasions if you would have taken the time to read my entire comments.

I read your "Entire Comments", and you I will OPENLY ADMIT that I DON'T KNOW if he'd be a perfect fit.
    What I DO KNOW, is that YOU DON'T KNOW, and neither does LARGENT80
    There's an old saying that pretty much fits here......"Look Before You Leap"

You don't know if he'd be a fit, period, let alone a perfect fit.

And for the umpteenth time, I've already admitted that I don't have the slightest idea, either. If that's the best retort you can come up with to refute my comments, then your argument is extremely shallow.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:51 am
  • RiverDog wrote:
    Good players don't always make good coaches, and poor players sometimes make great coaches.

There are HOF players that were complete disasters as coaches, such as Mike Singletary and Bart Starr, and coaches that never played a snap in the NFL that turned out to be HOF-quality coaches, Belichick and our own Pete Carroll being two modern day examples. Walt's playing resume should rank well down the list of desirable attributes for coaching candidates. The only thing his HOF status gives him that other candidates don't have is that in the player's eyes, anything Walt says has a certain credibility to it.

YOU are the one that INTRODUCED SINGLETARY & BART STAR as being FAILURES, it was YOU who attached the SAME possible FAILURE TAG on Walter Jones, WITHOUT A WHIFF OF KNOWING.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:44 am
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:
    Good players don't always make good coaches, and poor players sometimes make great coaches.

There are HOF players that were complete disasters as coaches, such as Mike Singletary and Bart Starr, and coaches that never played a snap in the NFL that turned out to be HOF-quality coaches, Belichick and our own Pete Carroll being two modern day examples. Walt's playing resume should rank well down the list of desirable attributes for coaching candidates. The only thing his HOF status gives him that other candidates don't have is that in the player's eyes, anything Walt says has a certain credibility to it.

YOU are the one that INTRODUCED SINGLETARY & BART STAR as being FAILURES, it was YOU who attached the SAME possible FAILURE TAG on Walter Jones, WITHOUT A WHIFF OF KNOWING.

Possible failure tag? Funny, I read my remarks over and over, and I can't find where it was that I used that term or something with similar meaning and associated it directly with Walt. But for the sake of argument, let's pretend that I hung the Possible Failure Tag on him as you claim I did.

In your opinion, does anyone else besides Walt NOT deserve a possible failure tag?
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:58 am
  • RiverDog wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:

Possible failure tag? Funny, I read my remarks over and over, and I can't find where it was that I used that term or something with similar meaning and associated it directly with Walt. But for the sake of argument, let's pretend that I hung the Possible Failure Tag on him as you claim I did.

In your opinion, does anyone else besides Walt NOT deserve a possible failure tag?

Like I said, "It Isn't Rocket Science"......YOU used Singletary & Star as EXAMPLES OF FAILURES, it's YOU who tied it all together.
    I have no "Opinion", and I won't hazard a GUESS on ANYONE that HAS NOT been vetted or given a chance of success, or failure, that is the crux of my argument, it's an UNKNOWN ............VACCUUM.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:28 am
  • Michael Jordan might be the greatest athlete ever. How has he done as an owner?
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:51 am
  • Tical21 wrote:I'd personally prefer he be Fant's mentor. Like every day. All offseason. Pushing trucks, watching film, working on technique. Dont know that he's a cerebral enough guy to be a great coach, after listening to his recent interviews. But, Tice.

The #1 thing Jones said that Fant needs to do in the off season was add power/strength. I think you hit the nail on the head in that regard, because Jones certainly knows the ins and outs of building strength. Maybe the Hawks bring him on as an OL QC coach.
    As far as higher-level coaching goes, we'd have to bring him in as an apprentice and see how he does. Jones is a different animal than say Michael Jordan or Kobe in that Jones is a far more humble person. Perhaps that quality will lend itself to coaching and surprise many people.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:18 am
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:

Like I said, "It Isn't Rocket Science"......YOU used Singletary & Star as EXAMPLES OF FAILURES, it's YOU who tied it all together.
    I have no "Opinion", and I won't hazard a GUESS on ANYONE that HAS NOT been vetted or given a chance of success, or failure, that is the crux of my argument, it's an UNKNOWN ............VACCUUM.

You didn't answer my question, so I'll ask it again by highlighting it and making it bigger for you.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:59 am
  • RiverDog wrote:You didn't answer my question, so I'll ask it again by highlighting it and making it bigger for you.

Read it again :roll: I HAVE NO OPINION OF WHAT I KNOW NOTHING OF.
    You're trying to wiggle out of your embarrassing stance by posing a silly question.
    I'm trying to get you to REALIZE, you don't know what you don't know........And see?, I didn't have to stoop to SILLY "Highliting"
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:15 pm
  • Seymour wrote:I've heard Walter Jones more than once say he'd love a shot to coach with his Hawks. When Cable got here he had more experienced linemen, a top 3 RB in Lynch, a top 3 running QB in Wilson, and even the highest paid line in 2013 when we rode the ponies into the ground. It worked well and his ZBS was churning up the yards while Wilson developed.
    Well that was then this is now. Running has dropped to bottom 1/3rd we have Graham, Wilson, Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett, and re emerged Richarson, and need to go to our strength. Cable is notoriously bad in pass blocking and always has been. The only bad reason I think Pete gives him one more year, is he took all his player cash and spent it, and cannot can Cable since Pete's hand is in it. Anyway, maybe they get destroyed one more year and we see Walt. That would be cool, even if he learned on the fly (but I obviously don't want to lose to see this either). Catch 22

Bump.

:irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

1 year later and part 1 of my request comes true.

Now Walt....you still interested buddy?? Come on man!!! :2thumbs:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:23 pm
  • Straight to O-line coach? I'd be fine with bringing him in as an assistant, but I wouldn't hand him the keys to the kingdom with no experience. This is O-line coach, no President.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:24 pm
  • WindCityHawk wrote:Straight to O-line coach? I'd be fine with bringing him in as an assistant, but I wouldn't hand him the keys to the kingdom with no experience. This is O-line coach, no President.

No experience??

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:26 pm
  • Players play and good coaches lead. Wait was an all time great plksyer but I just don't see him as a leader
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:27 pm
  • Have Howard Mudd come in as a consultant for interviews, he can grade the knowledge and Pete can grade the leadership and teaching aspect.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:28 pm

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:31 pm
  • seabowl wrote:Players play and good coaches lead. Wait was an all time great plksyer but I just don't see him as a leader

Person doesn't have to say much when he pancakes DE's and tosses Escalades around all off season.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:32 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Have Howard Mudd come in as a consultant for interviews, he can grade the knowledge and Pete can grade the leadership and teaching aspect.

Getting Mudd involved would be a good move as well. Then again, depending on the bait and level of OC they get, it all may be up to him. I'm fine with that as well, as that is the OC's best case scenario to prove his value.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:33 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Have Howard Mudd come in as a consultant for interviews, he can grade the knowledge and Pete can grade the leadership and teaching aspect.

Getting Mudd involved would be a good move as well. Then again, depending on the bait and level of OC they get, it all may be up to him. I'm fine with that as well, as that is the OC's best case scenario to prove his value.

He lives in the area as well so not a reach to ask him to help out.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:35 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    WindCityHawk wrote:Straight to O-line coach? I'd be fine with bringing him in as an assistant, but I wouldn't hand him the keys to the kingdom with no experience. This is O-line coach, no President.

No experience??

Playing and coaching are not the same thing. Look how many coaches were mediocre players. Now guess how many players would be mediocre coaches.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:42 pm
  • WindCityHawk wrote:
    Playing and coaching are not the same thing. Look how many coaches were mediocre players. Now guess how many players would be mediocre coaches.

That there is the difference between you and me. I've been fuming over Cable 3+ years and would kill to see a mediocre oline coach here. Hell if he could just be on the scout staff that alone would be a HUGE boost to what we've been fed.

Or do good players not have an eye for talent either? :roll:

Cable took 4-6 games every season just to figure out the best 5 to put out there!!
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:09 pm
  • WindCityHawk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    WindCityHawk wrote:Straight to O-line coach? I'd be fine with bringing him in as an assistant, but I wouldn't hand him the keys to the kingdom with no experience. This is O-line coach, no President.

No experience??

"Guess" is the key word here....You GUESS he can't be good at Coaching, OR, you GUESS he COULD maybe be good at Coaching....I'll admit I don't KNOW, but using your "GUESS" gig here, I'M betting that YOU don't KNOW whether he would, or wouldn't be a good Coach......Just admit it LOL, you are "GUESSING". :lol: :lol: :lol:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:57 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    WindCityHawk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

No experience??

"Guess" is the key word here....You GUESS he can't be good at Coaching, OR, you GUESS he COULD maybe be good at Coaching....I'll admit I don't KNOW, but using your "GUESS" gig here, I'M betting that YOU don't KNOW whether he would, or wouldn't be a good Coach......Just admit it LOL, you are "GUESSING". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh I'm absolutely guessing. That's why I'd prefer to see him in an assisting role first so we could get closer to knowing before we give him full reign of the O-line. Would it be cool? Of course it would be cool. We all thought it was cool when Lofa came back as an assistant LB coach, but that doesn't mean it turned into anything.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:09 pm
  • I'm all for Walt being the next OL coach but probably a pipe dream.

But Carroll has brought in former players to be around the team/coach, i.e, Lofa.

At the same time, I would be very surprised if Walt was brought into the organization to coach.
    "Awww, you so weak!" Richard Sherman to Joe Webb

"Uh, huh, you suck!" Richard Sherman to Pierre Garçon

"Don't f##### try me--I'm the best!" Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:46 pm
  • WindCityHawk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

No experience??

So Walt is Too good a player to coach O line?
    Experience and desire to teach are two great predictors of success--He has both. He's an expert with HOF creditentials not just some dumb jock who outmuscled everyone.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:59 pm
  • Russ Willstrong wrote:So Walt is Too good a player to coach O line?
    Experience and desire to teach are two great predictors of success--He has both. He's an expert with HOF creditentials not just some dumb jock who outmuscled everyone.

I can't find it anywhere, but is he coaching now, or just saying he wants to coach? When Favre retired he got to work coaching back in Mississipi. Has Jones done anything like that? Or is he just expressing interest via Twitter. That's hardly a job application.

Again, I'm not against the move in a supportive capacity, but I wouldn't hand him the whole O-line in his first year coaching.

To be honest, I'm surprised this perspective is so divisive. Don't we want coaching experience in our coaches?
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:11 pm
  • Just wondering when Jones has ever mentioned he would like to coach?

People have brought it up on the John C show, and John says he's never heard Jones express his desire to coach.
    Not the John C is the end all of info but he has some knowledge, probably more than most of us so, there is some credibility in that. He also brings up a good point that, one of the reasons the Hawks haven't hired him, and why teams don't hardly ever do this sort of thing, is that it undermines the existing coaches which I can fully understand.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:38 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:Just wondering when Jones has ever mentioned he would like to coach?

People have brought it up on the John C show, and John says he's never heard Jones express his desire to coach.

Not the John C is the end all of info but he has some knowledge, probably more than most of us so, there is some credibility in that. He also brings up a good point that, one of the reasons the Hawks haven't hired him, and why teams don't hardly ever do this sort of thing, is that it undermines the existing coaches which I can fully understand.

Maybe Clayton should listen to 950 where Walter is on regularly. :roll:

I've heard him several times, but not in the last 6 months or so.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/walter-jones-tweets-interest-in-seahawks-ol-job/
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:48 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:Just wondering when Jones has ever mentioned he would like to coach?

Walter is on 950 KJR once a week or so with Softy.

Turn your radio on.

Walt has expressed desire on radio to coach if he is offered a position.

Tune in. I believe he's on with Softy on Thursday's around 5 pm or so.
    "Awww, you so weak!" Richard Sherman to Joe Webb

"Uh, huh, you suck!" Richard Sherman to Pierre Garçon

"Don't f##### try me--I'm the best!" Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:55 pm
  • Well I can't think of a better person I would want.

The thing is though, it's quite easy to say, without the commitment that you want to coach, but it's a whole different game of the actual act of coaching where you can convey what you know.. Also, it's probably a good idea if we had some talent.. do we actually have talent.. or was it a Cable pipe dream?
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:38 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:Well I can't think of a better person I would want.

The thing is though, it's quite easy to say, without the commitment that you want to coach, but it's a whole different game of the actual act of coaching where you can convey what you know.. Also, it's probably a good idea if we had some talent.. do we actually have talent.. or was it a Cable pipe dream?

Basically, all I'm hearing from a couple of folks in here, is negative speculation...You don't know what you don't know.
    I kind of have my doubts that Big Walt was offering to be the O-Line Coach, but rather the ASSISTANT O-Line Coach....The man understands the importance of technique, and would very likely be able to Coach up footwork, hand fighting, strength training, and Balance.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:42 am
  • as an advisor would be great get him involved somehow would be nice
    “Well, they’re going to have to stop all of us. You feel me. I’m a piece to it, but we’ve got some dogs.”
    Str8OuttaSkittles
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:40 am
  • O-line coach, consultant, whatever...what's the friggin problem? Bring him in! You don't think players will listen to a HOF player who had more years in the NFL than holding penalties??
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:41 am
  • The question a few posts ago by WindyCityHawk was on the money... What coaching has Walt been doing?
    I don't care if it's coaching PeeWee or Middle School or whatever, has he been out working on his coaching skills?
    I have no doubt that Pete and Co. can improve his coaching "technique" and skills over time, and give him all the support needed, but the passion for coaching has to be there. So a track record of being involved in coaching, at whatever level, would show that.

He doesn't have to come in as the O-Line coach; teams in all sports use all kinds of technique trainers and consultants to work with athletes. Blair Walsh I'm sure had kicker training coaches working with him. For all the good it did.

Walt as O-Line techniques coaching specialist would be good enough for me. A few hours of specialized training each week for the O-Line guys, and offseason program work, etc. Let's hope the team gets it rolling and brings Walt in. If he does awesome, Pete will expand his role. If not so awesome, well, it would be hard to be worse than what we had.
    2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: Chris Carson
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:34 am
  • Hollandhawk wrote:I don't know about Walt. Yes Walt had great work ethic, but he was also one of the physically gifted athletes in history. It might be hard to be able to teach things when they came to him so easy and naturally.

I've always felt this way. Great players don't usually make good coaches. especially ones that haven't ever been coaches.

'Why can't you do this?' because they aren't nearly as good as you.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:35 am
  • Smellyman wrote:
    Hollandhawk wrote:I don't know about Walt. Yes Walt had great work ethic, but he was also one of the physically gifted athletes in history. It might be hard to be able to teach things when they came to him so easy and naturally.

I've always felt this way. Great players don't usually make good coaches. especially ones that haven't ever been coaches.

'Why can't you do this?' because they aren't nearly as good as you.

He has been working as a training coach. He worked with Fant last off season, and unfortunately we were unable to really see that play out. All signs were he was much improved until the injury.

I guess if Fant turns into a stud, people will just say that is the 2nd year jump moreso than Walt helping him.

Ya, I realize making him oline coach is a leap, but bring him in and find some scouting / special training / special advisor type position to have his HOF winning attitude and habits to spread to those guys that need it most.

The other option is to get and actually pay players that know their trade that don't need to be coached up to the degree that our oline building philosophy demands. Then I'd say we don't need him.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:45 am
  • Walt was arguably the best LT of all time. He had tremendous natural ability, but he also had great technique. I don't know if he would be a good coach because he may not be able to relate to other o-linemen because of just how natural and easy it was for him to be great.

It's like when Gretzky became the coach of the Coyotes back in the mid 2000s. Everyone thought that because he was the best player to ever lace em up, that he would automatically be a great coach too, and that wasn't the case.

The best coaches who were ex players are usually the ones who were bubble starters, or had to really claw and scratch to stay in the league, and because of that, for whatever reason seem to be able to relate to their players and thus get the most out of them.
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:44 am
  • olyfan63 wrote:The question a few posts ago by WindyCityHawk was on the money... What coaching has Walt been doing?
    I don't care if it's coaching PeeWee or Middle School or whatever, has he been out working on his coaching skills?
    I have no doubt that Pete and Co. can improve his coaching "technique" and skills over time, and give him all the support needed, but the passion for coaching has to be there. So a track record of being involved in coaching, at whatever level, would show that.

Walt used to live here in Huntsville, Al, had a full-size football field on his property. He use to hold football camps for kids during the summer (not sure what ages).
    taz291819
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:50 am
  • Tim Drevno is the other OL coach and maybe OC I would try to bring onboard. There's a reason Harbaugh took him to Michigan.
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:05 am
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:Tim Drevno is the other OL coach and maybe OC I would try to bring onboard. There's a reason Harbaugh took him to Michigan.

That is a consideration worth looking into.

That could be a win - win. Gets us a proven commodity, and gets one last kick in the balls to hairbag.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:14 am
  • How many Escalades can they fit on the practice field?
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:10 am
  • A great player doesn't necessarily equate to great coach. It also doesn't mean they can't coach. The thing we don't know about Walt is his ability to coach.

I'm a teacher so I will explain it like this...
    The best student in a class might be extremely competent and adept at learning and showing what they have learned via assessment. But they might not have the skills necessary to impart that wisdom to others. I came to teaching later in life as a second career. I always knew that I had teaching abilities within me. What surprised me during my education to become a certified teacher was what I didn't know about teaching. I still learn knew techniques and ideas about teaching after many years in the classroom.

No way would I have been a successful teacher without the tools gained in learning how to impart wisdom and knowledge to others.

Walter Jones is absolutely one of the best players to ever play for the Seahawks and is one of the best players to ever play in the NFL. His playing experience and knowledge of the game are rare. A coach is a teacher just as much as a teacher is a coach. I would be all for Walt working as a coach if he had some experience in that arena. He doesn't.

If I had been put in a position to teach without the knowledge required to perform the job, I would have been ineffective to my students, frustrated with myself, and resented by my colleagues.
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:24 am
  • scutterhawk wrote:"Guess" is the key word here....You GUESS he can't be good at Coaching, OR, you GUESS he COULD maybe be good at Coaching....I'll admit I don't KNOW, but using your "GUESS" gig here, I'M betting that YOU don't KNOW whether he would, or wouldn't be a good Coach......Just admit it LOL, you are "GUESSING". :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are guessing too. We all are guessing. Difference is, you are willing to gamble that your guess is correct. Others don't want to gamble that their guess might be wrong.

I think the idea of bringing him in is a good one, but I would wait to hear from our new O-line coach first. It is entirely possible that someone like Jones would overshadow a new coach, especially if that coach was newer, and didn't quite have the pedigree to demand respect over Jones. If we hire someone like that, I would prefer to let him get established before bringing in a Jones.

I'm not too hopeful that Jones would be a great coach. Without rehashing the litany of great players who have failed at coaching, or the top coaches and how they graded as players, I'm just struggling to remember the last HOF level player, in any sport, who succeeded as a coach.

If my career was similar to the NFL, I would have been a late first, early second round talent, from a highly respected, non-SEC school. I would be the guy who was drafted by the Jets, or the Browns, or Buffalo, and elected to stay on in free agency. That probably torpedoes my hopes of getting into the HOF, but I would still make a probowl more often than not.

I never found training to be particularly difficult or stressful. Anesthesia came naturally to me. Yes, just like anyone else, I had to put in the time with the books, and other training, but it actually sitting in an OR, taking care of patients was about as difficult as getting out of bed in the morning. I never really needed anyone to show me how to do a procedure, or coach me through it. Describe it to me, or let me read about it in a book, and then let me just do it. In fact, there were several procedures that I figured out for myself then taught to my "coaches." From day one, I seemed to have a innate sense of trouble and how to stay out of it. My "coaches" left me alone earlier and more often then they would my fellow trainees.

In my last year of training, I had the opportunity to teach new residents. It was the most frustrating experience of my life, and it was the first time that I was presented with a challenge that I couldn't really overcome. I didn't understand how they couldn't see trouble coming from a mile away, or know when their patient was actually safe, despite an ugly mess going on below. I would try to teach skills, and I couldn't understand why they couldn't figure out how to move their hands just so, to place a line easily. I had no idea how to teach something that came so effortlessly to me. Watching them fumble around, more often than not, resulted in my just taking over and finishing rather than helping them figure out how to do it for themselves.

Compare that to my hockey career. I was never a very good hockey player. Had to work harder than anyone else. Come in early, stay late. My left leg was always weaker, and I had to figure out how to compensate. My wrist shot was decent, but my slap shot was abysmal. Everything was a struggle, and I had no chance of playing anything except rec at the collegiate level.

When I started coaching, it came pretty easily though. I could identify weak areas and help players compensate using techniques that I had figured out or learned from others. I understood what they were struggling with, and why. I was able to introduce drills to make them better players. Some of them went on to play D1 collegiate hockey.

Now, Jones could be very different. He might be the one guy that is just about the best to ever do something, and still be able to teach others how to follow in his footsteps, but history, and my anecdotal stories, don't offer much hope, unless he is the exception to the rule.

I would love to bring the guy in to see what he has to offer, but it could blow up in our face, and set the potential progress of our offensive line back by several years.
    Fire Tom Cable
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:25 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:Tim Drevno is the other OL coach and maybe OC I would try to bring onboard. There's a reason Harbaugh took him to Michigan.

That could be a win - win. Gets us a proven commodity, and gets one last kick in the balls to hairbag.

Is there anyone we could get who would be a kick in the balls to Cable?
    Fire Tom Cable
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 am
  • bigskydoc wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:Tim Drevno is the other OL coach and maybe OC I would try to bring onboard. There's a reason Harbaugh took him to Michigan.

Is there anyone we could get who would be a kick in the balls to Cable?

You mean besides ex wifes and ex girlfriends? ;)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=4613549
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:53 am
  • oldhawkfan wrote:A great player doesn't necessarily equate to great coach. It also doesn't mean they can't coach. The thing we don't know about Walt is his ability to coach.

I'm a teacher so I will explain it like this...
    The best student in a class might be extremely competent and adept at learning and showing what they have learned via assessment. But they might not have the skills necessary to impart that wisdom to others. I came to teaching later in life as a second career. I always knew that I had teaching abilities within me. What surprised me during my education to become a certified teacher was what I didn't know about teaching. I still learn knew techniques and ideas about teaching after many years in the classroom.

No way would I have been a successful teacher without the tools gained in learning how to impart wisdom and knowledge to others.

Walter Jones is absolutely one of the best players to ever play for the Seahawks and is one of the best players to ever play in the NFL. His playing experience and knowledge of the game are rare. A coach is a teacher just as much as a teacher is a coach. I would be all for Walt working as a coach if he had some experience in that arena. He doesn't.

If I had been put in a position to teach without the knowledge required to perform the job, I would have been ineffective to my students, frustrated with myself, and resented by my colleagues.

Okay...let's just ->ASSUME<- that he can't Coach/Teach.
    Why would Russell Wilson even need a Quarterbacks Coach, or for that matter, why even bother hiring ANY Position Coaches?.............EMBELLISHMENT, that's why.
    It's Obvious that not everyone can Coach and instill wisdom like Tom Cable did, eh?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:59 am
  • Embellishment? What good does that do? Are we going to say we have 21 points instead of 10 or something?
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:10 pm
  • We don't need someone who can embellish players, like Wilson, who are already performing near all-time great levels.

We need someone to come in and build an offensive line, from the ground up, with players who are performing like scraps of detritus that Wall-E sifted from the junk piles of future earth.
    Fire Tom Cable
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:35 pm
  • Seymour wrote:Embellishment? What good does that do? Are we going to say we have 21 points instead of 10 or something?

To use every resource at your disposal to HELP make players BETTER, to Embellish/Enrich on their talents.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:44 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:Embellishment? What good does that do? Are we going to say we have 21 points instead of 10 or something?

To use every resource at your disposal to HELP make players BETTER, to Embellish/Enrich on their talents.

I think you confuse the word embellish with enhance. :?:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:52 pm
  • Would not think Walter could be a good O line coach out of the gate, being so good may have expectations that are hard to reach for many players. As an Assistant position coach type for the tackles I think he could teach them a lot as far as technique, reads and set ups etc at least initially.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:03 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Would not think Walter could be a good O line coach out of the gate, being so good may have expectations that are hard to reach for many players. As an Assistant position coach type for the tackles I think he could teach them a lot as far as technique, reads and set ups etc at least initially.

Well, it’d be nice to have high expectations set for once — our guys have clearly been underachieving.

We don’t want another full on ‘run game coordinator’, if he can help with technique/reads and set ups like you said, that’s enough for me.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:47 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information