Who are the Hawks going to target in FA?

Trrrroy

Reaction score
They have some cap room to play with this season. As much as we all want them to open their wallets for a big name OT, personally I don't see it. They have made it pretty clear that OL is where they are going to save money. The biggest move that I could see would be to bring Okung back if Denver doesn't pick up his option. Giacomini to compete at RT if he gets cut by the Jets as has been rumored wouldn't surpise me either. Anything bigger, such as Whitworth, is wishful thinking, IMO.

I think more likely is they'll bring in some DL depth. Johnathan Hankins and Jason Pierre Paul are both due to be FA this year, and the Giants can't afford to keep both. Hankins isn't too much of a pass rusher in the middle, but he holds his own and is only 24. And I don't know about you guys, but a third down pass rushing group of Bennett and Clark in the middle with JPP and Avril on the outsides makes my mouth water.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
As much as I'd love to see them go after Whitworth or a couple other name tackles and despite all their cap availability, I wouldn't expect it. Based on recent years, expect their FA signings to be largely marginal vets at the end of their career who probably won't make the team or stick-ala Whitfield, Browner, T.O., Webb, Clemmons, etc.

And it's a shame if they're going to completely gamble on the OL with just the draft and hoping Fant and Gilliam magically develop in 1 year. I really have no clue what their grand strategy with respect to the OL is.

Anthony!

Reaction score
It would be foolish, given what happened this year if they did not at least try to get some FA oline help and some good FA oline help. SO I hope your all wrong, they don't fix the oline we are going no place and once again they risk our Franchise QB.

chris98251

Reaction score
Based on our coaching staff changes so far, I think who we cut or not extend may be telling as far as reload or re-image.

crosfam

Reaction score
I predict it will be our own guys and a few value FA to add depth. No splashy signings. We use the draft to add youth and speed to defense and another RT/LT prospect to compete with what we have. Maybe sign a value veteran RT/LT that can compete for the starting job. A few cheap, veteran FAs who want to compete for a ring while we are still very good and have a clear, super bowl caliber, franchise QB in his prime.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I believe they will target Ryan Clady. He won't go for anywhere on the top of of the LT market but he's a ZBS guy who will be a serious upgrade to anyone we've currently got at LT.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":3je9qmwm said:
When does FA start?

Teams can start applying franchise tags on Feb 15th, and then FA starts March 9th.

I honestly don't see us going after any of the big names, we usually wait until that 2nd or 3rd wave to try and get depth cheaper.

RussB

Reaction score
It better be the line. Its an unavoidable problem. Pete is just too damn stubborn to address it and fix it. They better target whitworth or remmers. TJ lang is also a good guy to look at if they draft a good tackle. CB is also a spot they need to look at and there are some good DB's available like , AJ bouye, trumaine johnson, brandon carr,and stephon gilmore. I doubt they will pay a DB too much though they usually draft them.

Largent80

Reaction score
^^ They paid for Cary friggin Williams. The Seahawks SUCK at free agency and I hope they stay away. Take a look at Webb. They paid that guy who stinks worse than a fish rotting in the August sun on a Texas road. They waited too long to cut him and have to pay for him this year as well.

DJrmb

Reaction score
The Seahawks suck at free agency? Isn't that where we got Avril and Bennett? Didn't we sign Browner the first time around as a free agent? I seem to remember Raheem Brock being a great fill in signing too when we needed a pass rusher before. We also found Breno as a free agent on GB's practice squad, he took some time but did eventually become a pretty good right tackle I think. Kevin Williams was a stud for us when we brought him in.

Sure they've had their blunders in FA too but to say they suck seems a little over the top.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":mnpvugcd said:
^^ They paid for Cary friggin Williams. The Seahawks SUCK at free agency and I hope they stay away. Take a look at Webb. They paid that guy who stinks worse than a fish rotting in the August sun on a Texas road. They waited too long to cut him and have to pay for him this year as well.

Bennett, Avril, Clemons, Haushka, Rice, McDaniel (twice), ..........good to great FA signings just to name a few.

Pete and John are willing to take risks, which is a good thing. Doesn't always work out.

Personally as much as I like Whitworth, I'd stay away from him unless somehow he slips through the first wave of everyone overpaying for free agents. But my guess is someone's going to give him a ridiculous contract because he's a LT.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
For me it's Calais Campbell.

He's one of those players very similar to Bennett. A player whose performance as a pass rusher is top 5 in the league. But also a player who is a fringe pro bowl talent. He's gotten the nod a couple times but snubbed on many others.

Guys like that really fit into Seattle. Great players who play with a continual edge.

Campbell to me would be similar to when we added Avril and Bennett. Two very good productive players who had to work harder than they should have for their recognition. Campbell, even if we're talking 11m a season is probably a value signing.

I can't imagine how Avril, Clark and Bennett's pressure numbers would be having Campbell in the interior. A straight up 20% increase across the board is not out of the realm of expectation. That'd be the best front 4 in the league -- Even better than the Rams.

They may not do it. They've said they won't do any splash signings. But then if they were going to I'd expect them to say that as well. If I'm directing this thing, I'm going to pursue Campbell hard.

RussB

Reaction score
Largent80":2njmajdd said:
I know they paid cary and that was a trash signing. If they payed him i hope they look at someone like AJ bouye or stephon gilmore as well. Those are actually very solid players. Imagine a AJ on one side and sherman on the other. It becomes even harder to move the ball against them. I have little hope for that though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":8653en6j said:

He's one of those players very similar to Bennett. A player whose performance as a pass rusher is top 5 in the league. But also a player who is a fringe pro bowl talent. He's gotten the nod a couple times but snubbed on many others.

Guys like that really fit into Seattle. Great players who play with a continual edge.

Campbell to me would be similar to when we added Avril and Bennett. Two very good productive players who had to work harder than they should have for their recognition. Campbell, even if we're talking 11m a season is probably a value signing.

I can't imagine how Avril, Clark and Bennett's pressure numbers would be having Campbell in the interior. A straight up 20% increase across the board is not out of the realm of expectation. That'd be the best front 4 in the league -- Even better than the Rams.

They may not do it. They've said they won't do any splash signings. But then if they were going to I'd expect them to say that as well. If I'm directing this thing, I'm going to pursue Campbell hard.

All true, but I can't see John or Pete wanting that much salary tied up in the D-line.

If we release Avril and sign Campbell and hope Clark picks up the slack for Avril? I can see that. But not over 30M tied up in the D-line with Bennett, Avril and Campbell. Not with how much help we need at DB and O-line.

SirTed

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":14em0k06 said:

Samezies.

As much as the OL is an issue, interior pass rush is the medicine for every problem, IMO.

kf3339

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3g4i6jov said:
Attyla the Hawk":3g4i6jov said:

All true, but I can't see John or Pete wanting that much salary tied up in the D-line.

If we release Avril and sign Campbell and hope Clark picks up the slack for Avril? I can see that. But not over 30M tied up in the D-line with Bennett, Avril and Campbell. Not with how much help we need at DB and O-line.

If they aren't going to take serious putting a decent O-Line in place this season, then I have absolutely no problem with them spending $30M on a crushing D-Line including Campbell and keeping Avril. If you can't have a bruising offense, then at least make sure the other team can't have one as well.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3dv29e08 said:

I firmly believe Calais is our #1 target this offseason if Arizona lets him hit FA (which every indication right now is that they will do just that)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
lukerguy":26iu6sfw said:
I believe they will target Ryan Clady. He won't go for anywhere on the top of of the LT market but he's a ZBS guy who will be a serious upgrade to anyone we've currently got at LT.

Maybe as insurance if Fant doesn't progress, other than that.. I really don't think they're going to go after LT in FA. Right tackle seems much more likely.