Cliff Avril Surgery

LolaRox

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the surgery was for?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cliffavril/status/831515104374046722[/tweet]

sutz

Reaction score
Haven't heard. Not uncommon for players to get minor procedures this time of year.

A

Anonymous

My cryptic tweet superpowers are in their offseason mode, but it sounds like mama had a procedure done?

sutz

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":13ynegj0 said:
My cryptic tweet superpowers are in their offseason mode, but it sounds like mama had a procedure done?
Yeah, I think your ninja psych powers are slipping. It implies to me that Cliff is the "extra baby" for momma to take care of.

ivotuk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":92hzmwjj said:

That would be my guess :2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":1odfapbk said:
Haven't heard. Not uncommon for players to get minor procedures this time of year.

It was a sport hernia surgery, so not exactly minor. Not a big deal, eight weeks is the usual recovery time for that, but it's not all that minor.

I love Avril, but we need to draft or pick up another DE vet to add to the rotation next year.

OP
OP
LolaRox

LolaRox

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":13brzd0k said:
sutz":13brzd0k said:

It was a sport hernia surgery, so not exactly minor. Not a big deal, eight weeks is the usual recovery time for that, but it's not all that minor.

I love Avril, but we need to draft or pick up another DE vet to add to the rotation next year.

Thanks. I did see later that it was some kind of core muscle surgery. I think it was the same Dr (William Meyers) who did ML's surgery?

mikeak

Reaction score
sutz":2k6dlfc6 said:
HoustonHawk82":2k6dlfc6 said:
Yeah, I think your ninja psych powers are slipping. It implies to me that Cliff is the "extra baby" for momma to take care of.

+1

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Could explain why he seemed to slow down and not be as productive during the last part of the season. 10 sacks in the first 10 games, and only 1.5 in the last six games.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I was gonna start a new thread but this conversation is close enough as my post stems from Avrils injury news however I stated something similar last off season. But difference is we know what Frank Clark is now in a much bigger sample and what he can become.

I would really like if the Seahawks started Michael Bennett and Frank Clark at DE, with Cliff Avril coming off the bench.

But not completely what you think.

It would be something like this:

1st Qtr- Bennett, Clark as Base DEs with Avril (more), Marsh (less) coming in pass-rush situations.

2nd Qtr- Bennett, Avril as Base DEs with Clark (more), Marsh (less) coming in pass rush situations.

3rd Qtr- Clark, Avril as Base DEs with Bennett (more), Marsh (less) coming in pass rush situations, or Bennett's case certain run packages.

4th Qtr- Bennett, Clark as Base DEs with Avril (more), Marsh (less) coming in blah blah.

Clark and Bennett both start 3 QTRs. However, they both get benched for rest in the 2nd and 3rd QTRs respectively using the halftime as extra rest.

Resting Bennett in that 3rd QTR, will allow him to come into that 4th QTR as dominant as possible.

Avril on the other hand only starts in Base D in 2nd and 3rd QTRs. I feel Avril is the best speed rusher we have but Clark and Bennett might be better as run defenders moving forward. Although Avril has really stepped up in that aspect since Detroit. But Avril coming off the bench, relatively fresh in the 1st Qtr, where he just pin his ears back in pass-rush situations, can help set the tone early. Then perhaps the most important QTR, the 4th QTR, where our pass-rush seems to die, Avril comes off the bench again in passing situations to provide a spark.

Marsh, imo, will probably take another step up but its clear he's never going to be dominant at any one aspect. Just an average jack of all trades type. Where he can transcend though his continue to maximize his athleticism while improving his strength. However, the biggest gain is in his mind as he got valuable experience last year. He needs to build off that transforming into a savvy vet with mental intangibles and instincts much like Bennett has, more so where Marsh won't make impact with being physically dominant but as a over-achieving technician.

I feel this rotation will not only help keep the pass-rush fresh especially going into the 4th QTR where Bennett comes in off some rest/limited snaps and Avril becomes a situational pass-rusher with less overall fatigue. It'll help keep the DE rotation fresh and strong throughout the season as well barring any significant injuries.

You're also developing Frank Clark into becoming a full-time starter. A Frank Clark in terms of his age (turns 24 in June), production (47 tackles, 10 sacks, 2 FF in '16 in 15 games, 5 starts), and potential (entering 3rd season) might be the best player on the team. The next homegrown superstar.

You also transitioning Avril into a situational pass-rusher, which will help extend his career, where the Seahawks can look to extend his contract and not pay a starting premium (10m+) which has been becoming pretty outrageous for even non-elite Dline in the last 2 markets.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sutz":1dadpp4i said:
HoustonHawk82":1dadpp4i said:
Yep, that's how I read it too.
Cliff Avril seems to have a great sense of humor. :lol:

kpak76

Reaction score
LolaRox":3eescvdn said:

Sounds like his wife was pregnant and they had a c section.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
kpak76":2ssit0w2 said:
LolaRox":2ssit0w2 said:

I think I read somewhere he had used the same surgeon who did Beastmode's hernia op and that it was likely Avril had similar.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
UK_Seahawk":3el1xdey said:
kpak76":3el1xdey said:
LolaRox":3el1xdey said:

I think I read somewhere he had used the same surgeon who did Beastmode's hernia op and that it was likely Avril had similar.

Wait... Beastmode and Avril had C-sections?

sutz

Reaction score
People really should read, or at least skim through threads before they post random answers.

:34853_doh: