Seahawks Offense: 2016 Report Card

nash72

Reaction score
The OLine receiving a C- was way to generous.

nwHawk

Reaction score
True, but considering our oline was middle of the pack for a while with flashes of potential as well as horror - a C- feels about right. Brad Sowell was worse than we give him credit for.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Enjoyed that read.

Russ gets a B from me. Yes, A for effort but C for overall performance. He was middle-of-the-pack compared to all NFL QB's last season. Effort is to be admired, but the NFL isn't snowflake-land (yet) so the #'s count. Hoping he proves the concerns wrong that he's peaked and now might be sliding into longer-term mediocrity. Stay healthy, have a more competent line, and see what happens. (And lose a bit of weight Russ. Your size demands you have speed. Tom Brady you will never be.)

O-Line - D+ Guys tried. They were just outmatched. Hoping a new face or two to solidify that line is on its way.

Running Game- C- Oof. Rawls had flashes but overall, looks too vulnerable to injury. Big question mark in the off-season.

Receivers - A- Best part of Seattle's offense last season. Has potential to be an elite reception crew in the league. IF RW can step it up and IF Bevell can...you know. Stop being Bevell. Though to be fair, Cable's O-Line is likely to blame for much of Bevell's failings too.

Which brings the overall coaching grade: C+. Very mediocre season by coaching standards from Pete on down. Pete seemed off all season. Time management? Ugh. Play calling. Too often downright confounding. Team focus? Could be much better overall.

Let's get this off-season going and see how it shakes out.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so generous on the receivers. Our lack of size at that position is leaving a lot of the standard NFL playbook dark for us because we can't send our tiny guys over the middle or beat press routinely. They're certainly overperforming given what they have, but our lack of creativity is hurting them and the offense. Kearse isn't much and that leaves Graham to get double-teamed.

sdog1981

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":33uf9695 said:
Our lack of size at that position is leaving a lot of the standard NFL playbook dark for us because we can't send our tiny guys over the middle .

You should tell the Patriots that. You like me are older football fans and we grew up with the mantra of "get punished if you go over the middle" This is 2017 I would send small guys over the middle every play and rack up 15 yard personal foul penalties. Hell in NCAA football you can do that and have the added bonus of getting the other teams best player kicked out of the game for targeting.

OP
OP
T

Tusc2000

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2q43iudw said:
Enjoyed that read.

Russ gets a B from me. Yes, A for effort but C for overall performance. He was middle-of-the-pack compared to all NFL QB's last season. .

For me, what I really liked about Russ was what he accomplished given the various injuries he was dealing with all season. Also factoring in the RB injuries and an O-line that was loaded with problems, the ability to get a a 10-5-1 record and a #3 seed was impressive. Even with all that, a successful FG against the Cardinals in OT early in the season, and a last-minute defensive stand against them in that late season nightmare could have actually put us at 12-4.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1nxtb7vq said:
I wouldn't be so generous on the receivers. Our lack of size at that position is leaving a lot of the standard NFL playbook dark for us because we can't send our tiny guys over the middle or beat press routinely. They're certainly overperforming given what they have, but our lack of creativity is hurting them and the offense. Kearse isn't much and that leaves Graham to get double-teamed.

I still think that's on Russell, the over the middle. I still don't think he can lob it over Linemen, or hang in the pocket for a last moment shot over the middle. I don't think that it will ever be part of our game as long as Wilson is our QB.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
For an offense that only put up 12, 3, 6, 5 points in games against mediocre teams, a B- grade is awfully generous. My grade would have been a D- for the OL. That would have put the grade for total offense at C at best.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
This should not happen in any NFL game, ever. OL=F.

Attachments

• IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 2,344

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2xw83e5s said:
MontanaHawk05":2xw83e5s said:

I still think that's on Russell, the over the middle. I still don't think he can lob it over Linemen, or hang in the pocket for a last moment shot over the middle. I don't think that it will ever be part of our game as long as Wilson is our QB.

You make a good point. I think it's also RW's lack of height that hinders the over-the-middle passing. NFL lines are huge these days. RW is really short. A 6-foot NFL QB is short. I'm 6-foot and I tower over Russ. It was shocking, actually how short he is. Think perhaps that's what motivated him to bulk up but that also made him slower which IMO led to injuries he might have otherwise avoided. Granted, the O-Line is cause #1 for those injuries.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The QB and all running backs were injured behind this line. F ! They were so bad that they maid it impossible to grade any other offensive position group accurately including the kickers!

sdog1981

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2wm5rpzf said:
Bobblehead":2wm5rpzf said:
MontanaHawk05":2wm5rpzf said:

You make a good point. I think it's also RW's lack of height that hinders the over-the-middle passing. NFL lines are huge these days. RW is really short. A 6-foot NFL QB is short. I'm 6-foot and I tower over Russ. It was shocking, actually how short he is. Think perhaps that's what motivated him to bulk up but that also made him slower which IMO led to injuries he might have otherwise avoided. Granted, the O-Line is cause #1 for those injuries.

So your saying that Drew Brees never throws over the middle?

Anthony!

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3d699b41 said:
Enjoyed that read.

Russ gets a B from me. Yes, A for effort but C for overall performance. He was middle-of-the-pack compared to all NFL QB's last season. Effort is to be admired, but the NFL isn't snowflake-land (yet) so the #'s count. Hoping he proves the concerns wrong that he's peaked and now might be sliding into longer-term mediocrity. Stay healthy, have a more competent line, and see what happens. (And lose a bit of weight Russ. Your size demands you have speed. Tom Brady you will never be.)

O-Line - D+ Guys tried. They were just outmatched. Hoping a new face or two to solidify that line is on its way.

Running Game- C- Oof. Rawls had flashes but overall, looks too vulnerable to injury. Big question mark in the off-season.

Receivers - A- Best part of Seattle's offense last season. Has potential to be an elite reception crew in the league. IF RW can step it up and IF Bevell can...you know. Stop being Bevell. Though to be fair, Cable's O-Line is likely to blame for much of Bevell's failings too.

Which brings the overall coaching grade: C+. Very mediocre season by coaching standards from Pete on down. Pete seemed off all season. Time management? Ugh. Play calling. Too often downright confounding. Team focus? Could be much better overall.

Let's get this off-season going and see how it shakes out.

:pukeface: enough said

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tusc2000":5oppqnzi said:
semiahmoo":5oppqnzi said:
Enjoyed that read.

Russ gets a B from me. Yes, A for effort but C for overall performance. He was middle-of-the-pack compared to all NFL QB's last season. .

For me, what I really liked about Russ was what he accomplished given the various injuries he was dealing with all season. Also factoring in the RB injuries and an O-line that was loaded with problems, the ability to get a a 10-5-1 record and a #3 seed was impressive. Even with all that, a successful FG against the Cardinals in OT early in the season, and a last-minute defensive stand against them in that late season nightmare could have actually put us at 12-4.

agreed I would have given him a B+ I mean as you pointed out hurt all year, no run game, worse oline in the league and still top 10 in yards, top 10 in YPA, top 15 in COmplt%, top 15 in Qb rating, Now imagine he was healthy all season, and or had a run game and or even a middle of the pack oline. What scary is even with all that PFF had him as a top 5 QB.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3rsqvtwa said:
MontanaHawk05":3rsqvtwa said:

You do realize that PS came out and said he does not like throwing over the middle, due to a greater chance for INt off batted balls. You also know that there was a post in this forum about that and we throw over the middle about the same as most teams. Hey facts to support your claim what a novel concept, or in this case prove a claim wrong

Anthony!

Reaction score
semiahmoo":31wu86x3 said:
Bobblehead":31wu86x3 said:
MontanaHawk05":31wu86x3 said:

:pukeface: all this deserves

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Anthony!":21v9pki7 said:
Bobblehead":21v9pki7 said:
MontanaHawk05":21v9pki7 said:

You do realize that PS came out and said he does not like throwing over the middle, due to a greater chance for INt off batted balls. You also know that there was a post in this forum about that and we throw over the middle about the same as most teams. Hey facts to support your claim what a novel concept, or in this case prove a claim wrong

If only I could understand this.. PS..
Our point exactly, batted balls
No I don't know of a post that discusses this, I'm sure there is, maybe I saw it, maybe not.
Hey facts..what?

Anthony!

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3lrrpjue said:
Anthony!":3lrrpjue said:
Bobblehead":3lrrpjue said:
MontanaHawk05":3lrrpjue said:

If only I could understand this.. PS..
Our point exactly, batted balls
No I don't know of a post that discusses this, I'm sure there is, maybe I saw it, maybe not.
Hey facts..what?

LOL when in doubt just pretend you can't read it. No not batted balls by a line man, nice try though, but batted balls or deflected by CB, LB people in coverage our even our own WR and TEs you know like the 3 batted/deflected balls Kearse had in the playoffs against GB a few years ago. Nice try, though. FYI Wilson is always near the bottom of the list in having his passes knocked down at the LOS.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2kigf46u said:
If we actually used Graham this way more than once in a blue moon, it might matter if we had more big receivers; but...