what to do about the Fullback position

metwelve

Reaction score
Marcel Reece and Will Tukuafu will be 32 years old in June is that concerning to anyone?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
FB seems to be a dying breed in the league. That said, I would love a big smashmouth FB to open holes and pummel on short yardage. Then again, I'm just old enough to remember players like John Riggins. Loved how he ran - and ran OVER opposing defenses similar in style to Beastmode. A quality FB used correctly would take a lot of pressure off RW and help to keep defenses more honest.

[youtube]_l9rr4M3xl0[/youtube]

DJrmb

Reaction score
Cottom is a guy that the coaches were really high on and I think someone they had specific plans for in a Hback / FB type role. Reece looked to have more left in the tank too. I think it will come down to one of those two.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3ea05lvx said:
Reece is worth another look imo.

A full year with Reece would be a very good thing with this team. His receiving and blocking ability fills many holes this team has.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Cottom is still a 270 pounder that runs a 4.62 and is agile and skilled. You want to develop that.

I think you still also want to try and retain Reece and make the most of your personnel with a potential replacement in Cottom. Injuries also happen. Reece is the most skilled FB to come along in quite a while though. And I don't just mean to the Seahawks. He's been an all pro for a reason. A former 4.4 running WR, he put on weight and, in some years training, has really become a very, very effective blocker. Sign him.

Hawks46

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1dpyxucm said:
Cottom is still a 270 pounder that runs a 4.62 and is agile and skilled. You want to develop that.

I think you still also want to try and retain Reece and make the most of your personnel with a potential replacement in Cottom. Injuries also happen. Reece is the most skilled FB to come along in quite a while though. And I don't just mean to the Seahawks. He's been an all pro for a reason. A former 4.4 running WR, he put on weight and, in some years training, has really become a very, very effective blocker. Sign him.

Plus he could likely coach up Cottom. It would be the 2nd coming of Leonard Weaver.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2lfjyd1m said:

Didn't realize Cottom was that big or that fast. A 260 - 270 FB with speed/power/and decent hands would be a great asset for the Hawks going forward.

This would be his 3rd year with the Hawks, correct? Time to see what he can do.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
semiahmoo":31eule8h said:
vin.couve12":31eule8h said:

Didn't realize Cottom was that big or that fast. A 260 - 270 FB with speed/power/and decent hands would be a great asset for the Hawks going forward.

This would be his 3rd year with the Hawks, correct? Time to see what he can do.
Yep. Pete was really excited about him and didn't really have any other options at camp. He said he was 270 at that time and as soon as he got injured, we started bringing in multiple FBs to camp. I'd still like to have Reece though.

[youtube]KsJ1mrz3ySQ[/youtube]

Cottom actually delivers some good pop at the POA when he did get some snaps in preseason games, albeit with limited exposure that I saw his rookie season. That said, in my head I'm starting to like the idea of seeing he and Samaje Perine controlling a football game. I want to beat people up again and I'm beyond tired of this passive offense we've seen for the last year and a half.

[youtube]0-hxd55alKE[/youtube]

vin.couve12

Reaction score
5'10 235. That SOB is just really hard to get under/off his center to stop any momentum he has built up...

Largent80

Reaction score
What I hate about "highlight" clips is they don't show the downside. A lot of time that aspect outshines the positive.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Samaje Perine is a load. Might have more leg strength than Marshawn.

Announcer called it - possible modern day version of Earl Campbell. Like how he scraps that extra yardage and sometimes busts it out for a much bigger gain - same as Beast used to do. That kind of runner wears out a defense. We haven't had that kind of battering ram for a couple seasons.

Rawls showed flashes - but I just don't think he's the guy.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I believe the Seahawks were going to try Tre Madden out at FB, but got hurt early on (was not super healthy at all last offseason coming of surgery at USC) and never really played. He tested well at his pro day. Does not have the size of Cottam, but was bulking up last off season

semiahmoo

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3m8v1gez said:
Sign Marcel Reece and solve the problem.

Reece is 31 so problem might still be there. He is a great backfield receiver, though, and a few years ago, one of the best at the FB position so he might be worth a try.

Perhaps a good insurance play?

chris98251

Reaction score
Reece.

UW product
Cable guy in Oakland
Can catch and run the ball, reads running lanes well and makes the right block, knows the system.
Last season was the first time he was ever in the playoffs and it was with us.

I think the evidence states he will resign reasonable, everything is aligned in his favor and he is familiar with his surroundings, not sure if he lives here but going to school here is a bonus. He wants to experience winning football and a chance for a ring as well, with everything above this is his best shot unless he goes to New England which last time I looked really don't use a Fullback at all. Here he would be used what on like 25 to 30 percent of the plays, maybe more as a third down option due to his receiving skills.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":6znlxnf5 said:
Cyrus12":6znlxnf5 said:
Reece is worth another look imo.

A full year with Reece would be a very good thing with this team. His receiving and blocking ability fills many holes this team has.
Absolutely^.....Having Reece in there last season helped to free up JG on several plays, despite his age, and limited experience with the Seahawks playbook, I thought he kicked ass.
A GOOD Fullback can embellish on a run game tremendously........ Stand out Seahawks Fullbacks Mack Strong leading the way for Shawn Alexander......John L. Williams " " " " Curt Warner.
I think that a decent bruiser Back can help extend the career of a RB too.