No compensatory picks next year...

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Was looking at our UFA situation and it seems likely that none would garner much in the way of big comp picks if / when they leave. Now whilst this might seem initially disappointing there is a silver lining.

Ii means the Seahawks can be all over Free Agency, in the recent past our value on comp picks has suggested a little bit of hesitancy (waiting until after the deadline for example) but now we can hit FA with a bang as we literally have nothing to lose.

I think it will play into the FO's thinking when approaching FA and there will be a splash or 2. I wonder if others agree.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Aren't Kam Chancellor, I'm Jimmy, and Justin Britt FAs next year?

If they re-up all those guys I agree the smart strategy is to try to be active in FA in a year in which you're not losing anyone.

More generally I think that comp picks need to be done away with, or dramatically altered. They basically incentivize teams to not retain their own players.

And while teams like the Packers, Ravens, Pats, 9ers and Cowboys having been gaming the comp pick system for awhile now, I think the cat is truly out of the bag. They just need to do away with it, IMO.

(and yeah, part of this is inspired by thinking that having eleven additional picks at the end of the third round this year is just silly -- props to the Hawks for nabbing two of 'em though, as it's smart strategy)

mikeak

Reaction score
Not just the "big bang FA" - it also means we can be active and sign the guys that may pan out / get through camp and see what they got and we can sign them early and not wait until after the deadline for where they don't count against comp picks

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^^ stupid me. Of course that's right. Thanks! :2thumbs:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's possible the team could get some comp picks if several of our FAs are picked up elsewhere.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I wonder if this will play into JS's draft strategy with trades this year where he tries to trade back this year but rather than getting picks this year he trades for picks next year.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
As the OP noted, this does make it more appealing to take a shot at free agent if there are any that fit.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":ns2vxrjq said:
It's possible the team could get some comp picks if several of our FAs are picked up elsewhere.
Not one of our FAs was considered good enough to be in the NFL.com list of the top 101 free agents. It was this that made me realise that comp picks next year seem unlikely. Not impossible though I agree.

Josea16

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":10nmjv46 said:
jammerhawk":10nmjv46 said:
Not one of our FAs was considered good enough to be in the NFL.com list of the top 101 free agents. It was this that made me realise that comp picks next year seem unlikely. Not impossible though I agree.
How about we actually draft worth a damn and not worry about compensation picks? If we did that compensation picks would be a non-factor.

Stupid ass system that just allows for not paying your players and not penalizing you for drafting badly like most anybody that Tom Cable ever chose or Bill Belicheck and his criminally underpaid quarterback that makes him look like a genius which he isn't. That guy should be back coaching High School already.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ the better you get at drafting the more importance there would be to comp picks....

If you suck at drafting then the number of picks you have doesn't matter

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Josea16":3kzsmkf0 said:
Stupid ass system that just allows for not paying your players and not penalizing you for drafting badly like most anybody that Tom Cable ever chose or Bill Belicheck and his criminally underpaid quarterback that makes him look like a genius which he isn't. That guy should be back coaching High School already.

The system is what it is and isn't likely to change (nor should it IMO, although a salary-cap free league may be good for the Seahawks I think it's a really good thing for the league). I think that comp picks are absolutely a good thing in the salary cap system as at least the teams that draft well do get some reward for doing bad drafting teams' work for them (and also, signing free agents is discouraged with the threat of losing comp picks).

I absolutely agree though that we need to draft a stackload better! Having extra picks, through the compensatories, should help with this.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I get our FA players this offseason are not that highly regarded, but teams often overpay for players and all it takes is one good deal and Anet loss of players through FA. Probability of comp picks are not high but JS is cagey as far as FA. I wouldn't expect much FA action , but as noted here maybe this is the year.

Rob12

Reaction score
Josea16":rryey8cf said:
UK_Seahawk":rryey8cf said:
jammerhawk":rryey8cf said:
How about we actually draft worth a damn and not worry about compensation picks? If we did that compensation picks would be a non-factor.

Well done. Posts like this are what makes this place unreadable now. Lol.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't think you guys realize how low the threshold was for compensatory picks last year. OTC is expecting the line to be drawn at $2m this year which Luke Willson, Mike Morgan, and Steve Hauschka could all surpass.

The trick is that the number of compensatory picks are only awarded based on quantity of UFA lost vs. quantity of UFA gained and so it's impossible to project before free agency which teams are going to have a deficit and which teams are going to have a surplus. For example, OTC is expecting Vernon to return a third round compensatory pick for Miami but that only applies if he signs elsewhere and Miami signs fewer free agents than they lose. If they use the cap space from losing Vernon on other free agents then they don't get the compensatory pick.

Seattle, New England, Green Bay, Denver and Dallas combined for 16 of the 32 of the compensatory picks this season. That's not because those franchises just happened to have unusually high free agent departures but because of their underlying philosophy that discourages signing UFA's from other teams until after the May deadline.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Josea16":1a0b6ey4 said:
Think of the draft as a lottery where each pick is another lottery ticket. Quantity of picks can easily trump quality of picks due to the high underlying uncertainty which teams only start to reduce once the draft picks are on the 90 man rosters in training camp.

If you're worried that we've missed on players in the draft I recommend taking a look at other teams around the NFL for appropriate context. The Patriots had an excellent draft last year with 7 of their 9 selections contributing to the active roster in 2016. However, only two of their picks played played significant snaps; Thuney at LG and Mitchell as the #3 WR. Valentine, Karras, Roberts, and Jones were all rotational depth at their respective positions and will be competing for more snaps in 2017.

HawkGA

Reaction score
AgentDib":37f00x1e said:
I don't think you guys realize how low the threshold was for compensatory picks last year. OTC is expecting the line to be drawn at $2m this year which Luke Willson, Mike Morgan, and Steve Hauschka could all surpass.

New goal: get a compensatory pick for a kicker!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":1qhxdlol said:
AgentDib":1qhxdlol said:

New goal: get a compensatory pick for a kicker!

And turn around and trade that pick for two lower picks, and with one of them, pick up another kicker. :)

Edit: Except that comp picks can't be traded... sigh. Wait; that rule is gone now. Nevermind my schizophrenia. I can't keep up with rule changes.