Pete dropped this gem today

RussB

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/837352388776378369[/tweet]
Totally looking forward to this. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Hyak

Reaction score
I think there is a very good chance he will be. That said, he's certainly going to have some competition whether it's Gilliam, Odhiambo, a free agent, or a draft pick.

I sure don't get the feeling that a big name LT is coming in here via FA or trade.

kidhawk

Reaction score
To be fair, this was the context:

Reporter: He's (Talking about Fant) Your Left Tackle Right Now?

Pete: Yeah, he's our left tackle.

There was no statement of Fant being our starter week 1 or anything like that, only that he's our starter right now, which he is. That doesn't mean there won't be competition at the position. Doesn't mean there will be, but it's off season coach speak that really means nothing at all

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
kidhawk":3hgav12j said:

There was no statement of Fant being our starter week 1 or anything like that, only that he's our starter right now, which he is. That doesn't mean there won't be competition at the position. Doesn't mean there will be, but it's off season coach speak that really means nothing at all

This is what I got out of it too. There were a few questions on this point and Pete put up the competition motto at all positions. IF we can get better production out of a newby, we will start them. If they can get better production because we brought in competition, then we have done our job.

Seymour

Reaction score
That ranks right up there with the little gem the Baldwin dropped in SB49. :idea:

Kidding aside. Fant would make a decent #3 tackle prospect, but is not ready for big time quite yet.....no matter how much Miracle Grow you dump on him.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect any other response. Would you expect him to say, "Oh goodness gosh I hope not. Hopefully we'll be able to bring somebody else in." That might be what they are thinking, but no point in saying it until you actually have somebody else in.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
ivotuk":1jxfphwa said:
I'm okay with this. I think Fant has the ability and will be a different man in 2017

By different man you mean it's an entirely different player? :lol:

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
JTB":3hfemr2s said:
I think there is a very good chance he will be. That said, he's certainly going to have some competition whether it's Gilliam, Odhiambo, a free agent, or a draft pick.

I sure don't get the feeling that a big name LT is coming in here via FA or trade.
And that will be the downfall once again. 2 seasons in a row and it seems like pete still doesnt care to address the achilles heel.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
jdemps":3dcm5a39 said:
Well, we're not getting comp picks next year so maybe we can bring back Okung... if he'll do another 1 year/ $5 million deal.
You mean Mr.Glass? I would like okung back if he could stay healthy but he just cant.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
jdemps":225k5bzh said:
Well, we're not getting comp picks next year so maybe we can bring back Okung... if he'll do another 1 year/ $5 million deal.
He met his incentives so he took home $8M, not $5M.

kf3339

Reaction score
RussB":119y4ohl said:
JTB":119y4ohl said:

And that will be the downfall once again. 2 seasons in a row and it seems like pete still doesnt care to address the achilles heel.

I only hope this year Paul Allen spoke up to both JS and PC about the O-Line issue. I seriously doubt it, but he is the only person who could get thru to them and make a meaningful change.

The reality is that this team is going to get old quick and our window will be lost while they are screwing around constantly fixing the O-line. The real need is to add a quality RT in FA even if it costs us extra in cap room. If there are none, then a quality G who can man the RG spot and move Ifedi to RT. Personally, I would rather have an RT who knows the position and can handle the job.

As for Fant, I think you roll with him, but have a backup plan with a second tier vet for camp. Also want to see where Rees fits in to the equation. We did use a 3rd on him for a reason.

Last, I want to draft a quality guard on day two of the draft to push both our starters this season. Make them have to step up their game.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about that Myers guy we brought in at the end of the season? Believe he's a guard.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":4advilko said:
ivotuk":4advilko said:
I'm okay with this. I think Fant has the ability and will be a different man in 2017

By different man you mean it's an entirely different player? :lol:

Could be, either way, my vague statement leaves me an out ;)

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3smajpgi said:
Anyone know anything about that Myers guy we brought in at the end of the season? Believe he's a guard.

Yes, I believe he was traded to the Hollywood Slashers semi pro team.

mFUoHg2E-YOMTH8ey3nbnpw.jpg

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":7rzalnsj said:
Siouxhawk":7rzalnsj said:

Yes, I believe he was traded to the Hollywood Slashers semi pro team.

mFUoHg2E-YOMTH8ey3nbnpw.jpg
Or the band Hollywood Undead

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kidhawk":3mn4iycp said:

Context is key.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":3ta4im24 said:

That puts it in a much clearer perspective.

I enjoy Fant's athleticism and reported excellent work ethic, but even with "exponential growth" he's nowhere near being an even average left tackle. I want him on the roster and to continue to grow as a player, but we need serious upgrades at both tackle spots or Wilson gets mauled again. Surely, PCJS are considering FA options.

ivotuk

Reaction score
If I were to "Parse Pete," I think it would go something like this: "We really really really like Ramzcyk...but the last thing we want to do is let anyone ahead of us in the draft to know that. So our story is "We LOVE George Fant's amazing athleticism and he will be a legitimate Left Tackle during the 2017 season. Also, we might be open to trading him."