Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Pete dropped this gem today

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Pete dropped this gem today
Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:07 am

• Totally looking forward to this. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Re: Pete dropped this gem today
Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:22 am
  • I think there is a very good chance he will be. That said, he's certainly going to have some competition whether it's Gilliam, Odhiambo, a free agent, or a draft pick.

I sure don't get the feeling that a big name LT is coming in here via FA or trade.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:33 am
  • To be fair, this was the context:

Reporter: He's (Talking about Fant) Your Left Tackle Right Now?

Pete: Yeah, he's our left tackle.

There was no statement of Fant being our starter week 1 or anything like that, only that he's our starter right now, which he is. That doesn't mean there won't be competition at the position. Doesn't mean there will be, but it's off season coach speak that really means nothing at all

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:34 am
  • I'm okay with this. I think Fant has the ability and will be a different man in 2017
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:42 am
  • kidhawk wrote:To be fair, this was the context:

There was no statement of Fant being our starter week 1 or anything like that, only that he's our starter right now, which he is. That doesn't mean there won't be competition at the position. Doesn't mean there will be, but it's off season coach speak that really means nothing at all

This is what I got out of it too. There were a few questions on this point and Pete put up the competition motto at all positions. IF we can get better production out of a newby, we will start them. If they can get better production because we brought in competition, then we have done our job.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:44 am
  • That ranks right up there with the little gem the Baldwin dropped in SB49. :idea:

Kidding aside. Fant would make a decent #3 tackle prospect, but is not ready for big time quite yet.....no matter how much Miracle Grow you dump on him.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:54 am
  • Well, we're not getting comp picks next year so maybe we can bring back Okung... if he'll do another 1 year/ $5 million deal.
    jdemps
    NET Veteran

Location: SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of Hawk homerism

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:59 am
  • I wouldn't expect any other response. Would you expect him to say, "Oh goodness gosh I hope not. Hopefully we'll be able to bring somebody else in." That might be what they are thinking, but no point in saying it until you actually have somebody else in.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:26 am
  • ivotuk wrote:I'm okay with this. I think Fant has the ability and will be a different man in 2017

By different man you mean it's an entirely different player? :lol:
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:39 am
  • JTB wrote:I think there is a very good chance he will be. That said, he's certainly going to have some competition whether it's Gilliam, Odhiambo, a free agent, or a draft pick.

I sure don't get the feeling that a big name LT is coming in here via FA or trade.

And that will be the downfall once again. 2 seasons in a row and it seems like pete still doesnt care to address the achilles heel.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:41 am
  • jdemps wrote:Well, we're not getting comp picks next year so maybe we can bring back Okung... if he'll do another 1 year/ $5 million deal.

You mean Mr.Glass? I would like okung back if he could stay healthy but he just cant.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:23 pm
  • jdemps wrote:Well, we're not getting comp picks next year so maybe we can bring back Okung... if he'll do another 1 year/ $5 million deal.
    He met his incentives so he took home $8M, not $5M.
    Superbowl XLVIII Champions..."Can't keep everyone."
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:36 pm
  • RussB wrote:
    JTB wrote:I think there is a very good chance he will be. That said, he's certainly going to have some competition whether it's Gilliam, Odhiambo, a free agent, or a draft pick.

And that will be the downfall once again. 2 seasons in a row and it seems like pete still doesnt care to address the achilles heel.

I only hope this year Paul Allen spoke up to both JS and PC about the O-Line issue. I seriously doubt it, but he is the only person who could get thru to them and make a meaningful change.

The reality is that this team is going to get old quick and our window will be lost while they are screwing around constantly fixing the O-line. The real need is to add a quality RT in FA even if it costs us extra in cap room. If there are none, then a quality G who can man the RG spot and move Ifedi to RT. Personally, I would rather have an RT who knows the position and can handle the job.

As for Fant, I think you roll with him, but have a backup plan with a second tier vet for camp. Also want to see where Rees fits in to the equation. We did use a 3rd on him for a reason.

Last, I want to draft a quality guard on day two of the draft to push both our starters this season. Make them have to step up their game.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:41 pm
  • Anyone know anything about that Myers guy we brought in at the end of the season? Believe he's a guard.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:44 pm
  • Seahawk_Dan wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:I'm okay with this. I think Fant has the ability and will be a different man in 2017

By different man you mean it's an entirely different player? :lol:

Could be, either way, my vague statement leaves me an out ;)

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:05 pm
  • Siouxhawk wrote:Anyone know anything about that Myers guy we brought in at the end of the season? Believe he's a guard.

Yes, I believe he was traded to the Hollywood Slashers semi pro team.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:08 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    Siouxhawk wrote:Anyone know anything about that Myers guy we brought in at the end of the season? Believe he's a guard.

Yes, I believe he was traded to the Hollywood Slashers semi pro team.

Or the band Hollywood Undead
    Last edited by Siouxhawk on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:30 pm

Context is key.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:46 pm

That puts it in a much clearer perspective.

I enjoy Fant's athleticism and reported excellent work ethic, but even with "exponential growth" he's nowhere near being an even average left tackle. I want him on the roster and to continue to grow as a player, but we need serious upgrades at both tackle spots or Wilson gets mauled again. Surely, PCJS are considering FA options.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:28 pm
  • If I were to "Parse Pete," I think it would go something like this: "We really really really like Ramzcyk...but the last thing we want to do is let anyone ahead of us in the draft to know that. So our story is "We LOVE George Fant's amazing athleticism and he will be a legitimate Left Tackle during the 2017 season. Also, we might be open to trading him."

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:58 pm
  • onanygivensunday wrote:
    jdemps wrote:Well, we're not getting comp picks next year so maybe we can bring back Okung... if he'll do another 1 year/ $5 million deal.
    He met his incentives so he took home $8M, not $5M.

Wasn't one of the incentives based on playing like 95% of the season? Food for thought for those who consider him too fragile to play for us.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:18 pm
  • 1 dollar contract 500,000 per game check. less 50,000 for each false start and holding call.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:14 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:1 dollar contract 500,000 per game check. less 50,000 for each false start and holding call.

....and you really think that the NFL would allow such a contract? :roll:
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:30 pm
  • I sure hope that Russell loses a few pounds in the off season to gain back his speed. He is going to need it.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:47 pm
  • Siouxhawk wrote:Anyone know anything about that Myers guy we brought in at the end of the season? Believe he's a guard.

Robert Myers is one of three competitors they plan on looking at for right tackle competition. Other teams have looked at Myers as a guard. His college experience is on the right side at both positions. Seahawk criteria at right tackle appears to be in flux. Myers processes excellent size and arrives from a different background than other recent candidates. His 33 3/4 inch arm length falls in between that of Justin Britt and James Carpenter.

The two conversion projects that finished as starters at both tackle spots last year struggled with outside zone blocking. In fact, there were a number of games where they didn't even bother trying to run their outside zone. Both starting tackles need to be stronger and more physical in 2017. With a league wide shortage of big offensive linemen in full bloom, finding someone with the size to mold into a powerful run blocking tackle necessitates bigger reaches. Robert Myers, as a candidate, represents one such approach.

In my mind, finding a powerful right tackle that can assert his will as an outside zone blocker ranks #1 among offensive priorities. And although right tackle has become most intriguing, I do believe an upgrade in run blocking on the left side is also a priority. George Fant made a sound decision to stay in town and continue his metamorphosis into a premier left tackle. Developing premier tackles is a most desirable goal ..... it all fits.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:13 pm
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:1 dollar contract 500,000 per game check. less 50,000 for each false start and holding call.

NFL would, NFLPA would not.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:47 pm
  • It's that time of year, guys.

Coaches and GMs get really cagey this time of year, so listen with a careful ear.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:24 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:To be fair, this was the context:

This is what I got out of it too. There were a few questions on this point and Pete put up the competition motto at all positions. IF we can get better production out of a newby, we will start them. If they can get better production because we brought in competition, then we have done our job.

Me as well. The question is, is the guy or guys they bring in going to be top shelf or middle of the pack. No matter if it is through fa or the draft. Both he and js have said they are bring in vets because they were too young. I'm sure Lt is first on the list. I think, hope, that they saw the errors in their ways with Russ getting hurt a few times last year. Coupled with the lack of running game, it needs to change. The rbs might stay healthy if they don't have to fight so much for every inch. Who knows, with a decent run blocking line, Ac could break out and be a stud. He flashed a few times.
    Click the link, I dare you! You will love it!!!!
    https://youtu.be/RTycAlWhrt8

https://youtu.be/RaqSNpWDyCc
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:04 pm
  • Thank you for the Myers breakdown Jville. I just remember him as having thunder thighs at the combine.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:35 am
  • Jimjones0384 wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:To be fair, this was the context:

Me as well. The question is, is the guy or guys they bring in going to be top shelf or middle of the pack. No matter if it is through fa or the draft. Both he and js have said they are bring in vets because they were too young. I'm sure Lt is first on the list. I think, hope, that they saw the errors in their ways with Russ getting hurt a few times last year. Coupled with the lack of running game, it needs to change. The rbs might stay healthy if they don't have to fight so much for every inch. Who knows, with a decent run blocking line, Ac could break out and be a stud. He flashed a few times.

My guess would have to be probably in the middle of the pack due to financial concerns. I believe in what Hawkstorian said about our salary cap being about 10 mil available to play around with. The rest of the 27mil (17 Mil) will probably go to all the draft picks and incidentals.

Side note. Thanks Jville for the rundown on Myers. Much appreciated.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:20 am
  • Defensive lines rule the roost these days. I'm not even sure if they went out and got a "proven" tackle that they would succeed in this system.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:02 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Bigpumpkin wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:1 dollar contract 500,000 per game check. less 50,000 for each false start and holding call.

NFL would, NFLPA would not.

Sign him after week 1 and you could probably get away with something close to that as the contracts aren't guaranteed the way they are if you're on the active roster week 1.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:08 am
  • RussB wrote:And that will be the downfall once again. 2 seasons in a row and it seems like pete still doesnt care to address the achilles heel.

Names. This conversation is worthless without naming who we should have added to address this.

kf3339 wrote:I only hope this year Paul Allen spoke up to both JS and PC about the O-Line issue. I seriously doubt it, but he is the only person who could get thru to them and make a meaningful change.

The reality is that this team is going to get old quick and our window will be lost while they are screwing around constantly fixing the O-line. The real need is to add a quality RT in FA even if it costs us extra in cap room.

Again. Names. Who.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:23 am
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    RussB wrote:And that will be the downfall once again. 2 seasons in a row and it seems like pete still doesnt care to address the achilles heel.

Names. This conversation is worthless without naming who we should have added to address this.

kf3339 wrote:I only hope this year Paul Allen spoke up to both JS and PC about the O-Line issue. I seriously doubt it, but he is the only person who could get thru to them and make a meaningful change.

The reality is that this team is going to get old quick and our window will be lost while they are screwing around constantly fixing the O-line. The real need is to add a quality RT in FA even if it costs us extra in cap room.

Again. Names. Who.

Whitworth,Remmers, Luke joekel. Maybe a joe thomas trade. Gaurds like TJ lang are also free agents.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:10 pm
  • There will be ZERO free agent LT's added to the HAWKS. is that ok?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:35 pm
  • Fant has the tools. He hasn't yet had a full offseason. What that translates to, is about as unknown as a draft pick.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:28 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Fant has the tools. He hasn't yet had a full offseason. What that translates to, is about as unknown as a draft pick.

Its laughable having a baskeyball player blocking guys like robert quin and chandler jones. Fant can be the backup but the team needs an actual lineman while fant tries to develop into a starting caliber tackle. Because the truth is he isnt, and he wont be next year either. It would take time.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:21 pm
  • RussB wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:Fant has the tools. He hasn't yet had a full offseason. What that translates to, is about as unknown as a draft pick.

Its laughable having a baskeyball player blocking guys like robert quin and chandler jones. Fant can be the backup but the team needs an actual lineman while fant tries to develop into a starting caliber tackle. Because the truth is he isnt, and he wont be next year either. It would take time.

Whether Fant is good at BBall is irrelevant, however it may increase his general atheleticism.

If he can be(come) a good tackle, we keep him. If someone beats him out in camp, we'll be better. If he reaches his ceiling, we'll be thrilled. "Actual Lineman" means someone has learned the position. They aren't born that way...
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:16 pm
  • Surprised?

Why?

I expect the Hawks to sign a veteran tackle for competition and depth. Not a $5mil+ variety but more of the less than $2mil type. This is a bad year for tackles in the draft. If Cable can develop a Giac into an NFL tackle I'm sure they'll get it done this season. It seems that continuity will be an added plus this year. I'm glad for that. The Hawks were a couple Haushka kicks short of home field advantage and likely hosting the NFCC. Not that they would have won with all their injuries but it says the OL isn't as bad as some might think.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:54 pm
  • Seafan wrote:Surprised?

Why?

I expect the Hawks to sign a veteran tackle for competition and depth. Not a $5mil+ variety but more of the less than $2mil type. This is a bad year for tackles in the draft. If Cable can develop a Giac into an NFL tackle I'm sure they'll get it done this season. It seems that continuity will be an added plus this year. I'm glad for that. The Hawks were a couple Haushka kicks short of home field advantage and likely hosting the NFCC. Not that they would have won with all their injuries but it says the OL isn't as bad as some might think.

Your right being ranked 32 isn't that bad.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:27 am
  • Pete and anyone else who thinks Fant is the answer are delusional. He sucks.
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:32 am
  • RussB wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:Fant has the tools. He hasn't yet had a full offseason. What that translates to, is about as unknown as a draft pick.

Bet you would have given up on Jason Peters too.

I agree with getting a veteran just in case Fant doesn't progress, but he's going to be the LT next year.. Hate to break it to you.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:08 am
  • dopeboy206 wrote:Pete and anyone else who thinks Fant is the answer are delusional. He sucks.

He might be the answer, but not for another year or two.

But yes, he has no business being our starting LT at this point in his development.

Even worse news is if you listen to both Pete and John this past month about free agency, it sure looks like targeting guards, not tackles. Which means the O-line shuffling will continue if we get one of the FA guards.

Ifedi out to tackle? Idk, but this crap is getting old.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:06 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    dopeboy206 wrote:Pete and anyone else who thinks Fant is the answer are delusional. He sucks.

He might be the answer, but not for another year or two.

But yes, he has no business being our starting LT at this point in his development.

Even worse news is if you listen to both Pete and John this past month about free agency, it sure looks like targeting guards, not tackles. Which means the O-line shuffling will continue if we get one of the FA guards.

Ifedi out to tackle? Idk, but this crap is getting old.

I listened to both pressers and that's not how I took it. The only thing that made it sound like guards were a priority was perhaps the talk of missing the veteran presence that Jahri Evans (a guard) would have provided us last year and John admitting that he probably should have gone ahead and paid the guaranteed $1.2 mil instead of cutting him. other than that I didn't get the impression they were only looking at interior line FA's.
    Life is hard; It's harder when you're stupid. -- John Wayne
    c_hawkbob
    NET Starter

Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:15 pm
  • Siouxhawk wrote:Thank you for the Myers breakdown Jville. I just remember him as having thunder thighs at the combine.
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:Side note. Thanks Jville for the rundown on Myers. Much appreciated.

I credit Tom Cable for being flexible and adaptive in his thinking. From time to time he tinkers with featuring an eraser at that right tackle position. I think they brought in Myer on the chance that he might grow into that role. It's what they had in mind for big J'Marcus Webb. Jame Carpenter was drafted with that role in mind. An eraser role at right tackle is a second position they might consider for Germain Ifedi.

If an eraser at right tackle facilitates getting they're best 5 linemen on the field, it's certainly a possibility.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:19 pm
  • What exactly is an eraser in referring to one who mans the right tackle spot? And how does it apply to our featured zone blocking scheme?

So Myers does have the ability to land a starting spot? I suppose we won't know that until training camp.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:29 pm
  • Siouxhawk wrote:What exactly is an eraser in referring to one who mans the right tackle spot. And how does it apply to our featured zone blocking scheme?

It is someone with the size and strength to manhandle the defender in front of him .... ie. drive him back and bury him to create running room. Such an addition can be central to an off tackle running game and restoration of the outside zone. Myers is a developmental prospect.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:28 am
  • Fant will be just fine.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:10 am
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:Fant will be just fine.

In a couple years.
    Life is hard; It's harder when you're stupid. -- John Wayne
    c_hawkbob
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:02 am

• What i like to see.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:15 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]