Seahawks biggest draft bust

seabowl

Reaction score
It's that time of the year to discuss bests and busts so...... Who do you think our biggest bust pick ever was and why. Unfortunately there are many to choose from so think and pick wisely.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Not sure who would be the biggest but here are the contenders in my opinion....

Dan McGwire
Rick Mirer
Kelly Stouffer (they didn't draft him but traded a first round, 5th rd picks, and HOF Kenny Easley for him)
Owen Gill
Tommy Kane
Doug Thomas
Lamar King
Jerramy Stevens
Kelly Jennings
Christine Michael

KPA

Reaction score
From a potential perspective Koren Robinson was a big time bust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1ns0i7xx said:
Not sure who would be the biggest but here are the contenders in my opinion....

Dan McGwire
Rick Mirer
Kelly Stouffer (they didn't draft him but traded a first round, 5th rd picks, and HOF Kenny Easley for him)
Owen Gill
Tommy Kane
Doug Thomas
Lamar King
Jerramy Stevens
Kelly Jennings
Christine Michael

On your first three I would say:
McGwire was not only terrible but we passed on Favre for him
Stouffer was just horrible
Mirer was somewhat serviceable but the one thing he has in his favor was that we absolutely stole a first round pick from the Bears for him and I believe worked a deal with the Raiders to pick Walt with that pick and another.

The others are all bad but if I had to pick one it would be either McGwire or Stouffer.

Boohman14

Reaction score
Owen Gill. He never even made the final roster. 2nd rounder 1st pick of our draft that season.

Rick Mirer gets a pass. He had a pretty good rookie year and was absolutely pummeled his time here. I bet he still hears footsteps in his sleep.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Curry was pretty worthless .
Kelly stouffer at least had that play where he fell down and got up and hucked a td.
Tommy Kane I don't remember , I musta been living in Arizona back in the days before cable and internet.
That's a rough bunch of yahoos to choose from but since I bought that numbnutz jersey it's all aaron curry for me

Steve2222

Reaction score
Aaron Curry who was drafted fourth overall. Not only is he our biggest draft bust, he's Got to be in the Top 10 draft busts of all time. He was the unianmous top player in that years draft and his career came and went.

His saving grace is that the 2009 draft was pretty lackluster.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
The top three draft busts in Seahawk history have to:

#3 - Chris McIntosh - OL #22 pick first round. Played part of one season, career cut short by injury after rookie year. You want your first rounders to at least be a solid back-up, if not starter. Not out of the league in a year.
#2 - Dan McGwire - QB #16 pick first round. Considered a big reach at the time, played 4 seasons for the Seahawks, mostly as 3rd string. Started 3 games in 1994, ended up with a passer rating of 60.7. Had no business being a first round pick, and had a career to back this up
#1 - Aaron Curry - OLB #4 pick first round. Curry should still be in the league - at least with his talent and measurables. You expect an OLB drafted 4 overall to end up with a can't-miss hall of fame career. Curry signed the highest non-quarterback contract at the time - 6 year, $60 million. With that high of a pick, you would expect considerably more from player. At least with Rick Mirer, we were able to recover a first round pick in a trade with the Bears.

Seafan

Reaction score
The Hawks have had many draft busts but none bigger than Owen Gill. A second round draft choice who essentially was not a NFL caliber player. Cut before the season started. Huge disappointment. Dan McQuire was also a non NFL player but did play a few seasons and with the right coaching could have been a decent backup QB and better yet been converted to TE.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
seabowl":2yu2xlya said:
It's that time of the year to discuss bests and busts so...... Who do you think our biggest bust pick ever was and why. Unfortunately there are many to choose from so think and pick wisely.

I understand where you're coming from, BUTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, THE BIGEST BUST of the Seahawks Drafts have NOT HAPPENED under the Pete Carroll John Schneider era. ;)

sdog1981

Reaction score
You can't blame a player whose career was cut short due to injury. The play has no control over that. So McIntosh gets a pass.

Also Tommy Kane? The dude was a 3rd round pick. Can a 3rd round pick be a bust?

Aaron Curry. He was an automatic bust when they drafted him in the top 5. In order for a top 5 4-3 OLB to be worth it, they would have to be Derrick Brooks and Brooks was picked with the second to last pick in the first round. To think the team could have had Brian Orakpo. At least they drafted Max Unger in the second round.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I know it's recent, and so easy picking, but I've gotta go with Curry.

I still remember sitting in a Saturday class, tracking the draft of my phone, and praying we didn't blow the #4 (FOUR!) on him. When his name popped up, I turned my phone off, slumped down in my seat, and missed an entire lecture, I was so pissed off and depressed.

That pick pretty much got Ruskell fired, and certainly didn't help Mora's case to stick around. He was appraised as a can't-fail pick and bombed so spectacularly, it really punctuated the end of era. We've whiffed on a handful of players, like any team, but the fallout from Curry was so radioactive, it has to make him number one of our all-time busts.

getnasty

Reaction score
Aaron Curry has got to be the winner eventhough he should have never be drafted that high. You also have throw Mirer in there, drafted 2 overall and best year was his rookie year where he had twice as many picks as td's if I remember right.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Not this biggest bust in Hawks history, but Ken Hamlin was a disappointment. First couple years were great, then he fizzled.

Seemed like after the nightclub incident he was never the same here.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
The Dan McGwire story gets worse because former owner Ken Behring overruled Chuck Knox and the infinitely more knowledgeable football staff who favored Brett Favre as the better QB prospect to draft.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
1. Owen GIll
2. Andre Hines
3. Aaron Curry
4. Dan McGuire
5. Tie - Darryl Tapp, Lawrence Jackson

Marcus Tubbs' career was a disappointment, but that was just the damned bad luck of injury.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
BlueTalon":dwk4kjxt said:
1. Owen GIll
2. Andre Hines
3. Aaron Curry
4. Dan McGuire
5. Tie - Darryl Tapp, Lawrence Jackson

Marcus Tubbs' career was a disappointment, but that was just the damned bad luck of injury.

Darryl Tapp should not be on this list. He was at the very least decent and I believe we got Clemons and a pick (Kam?) for him.