Incompetent Seattle media or

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Are the Seahawks talking to no one???

Two days into FA (the negotiation/tampering stage) and not one single player has been identified as a player the team wants to sign or has had discussions with. Is the FO that inscrutable, unable to be read, or is the collective Seattle investigative sports reporting just that bad at doing their jobs? I suppose it's possibe the team isn't talking to anyone but I doubt it. Is the FO really that secretive?

I keep I refreshing numerous sites looking for any scrap of news but alas the Seattle area media has bupkus.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
I honestly believe that they're not involved in any serious discussions right now (but maybe I'm just dense).

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Schneider typically waits for the smoke to clear in free agency.
He doesn't go after high priced players.
Let's just be patient

AgentDib

Reaction score
The agents are the ones who leak team interest, true or not, in order to drive up the perceived competition for their clients. I'm sure they are as capable of calling the Seattle media as they are anybody else.

kf3339

Reaction score
Jerhawk":dwuk6ylq said:
Let's just be patient

It's that strategy that got us Webb and Sowell last season. Look how far that got us.

This is not the free agent season to sit on your hands playing money ball. There is no cost in losing comp picks for the 2018 draft. So he needs to make a real play for some quality players that can make a difference this season. Overpay some if needed. Restructure some current contracts to free up extra cap room, if needed. Make a serious play to make it to and win the Super Bowl this season.

If not, we aren't going to even sniff a Super Bowl this next season.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seattle's media is a pretty tight ship. There's not a lot that gets out unless Pete and John want it to.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
kf3339":1otq5u5g said:
Jerhawk":1otq5u5g said:
Let's just be patient

It's that strategy that got us Webb and Sowell last season. Look how far that got us.

This is not the free agent season to sit on your hands playing money ball. There is no cost in losing comp picks for the 2018 draft. So he needs to make a real play for some quality players that can make a difference this season. Overpay some if needed. Restructure some current contracts to free up extra cap room, if needed. Make a serious play to make it to and win the Super Bowl this season.

Well, thank goodness you're not the Seahawks GM then. I'd prefer the team not spend carelessly in free agency and build through the draft.
Look at the 2013 free agency. Schneider waited, then pounced on Avril and Bennett after the first wave passed and their value decreased.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Think about it. The only waves of FA news you're hearing about right now are the also-ran teams like the Niners, Jaguars and Lions.
Schneider and our front office know what they're doing and they do it right.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I don't know, the Pats just traded draft pick for a TE. All in all the closed off media approach works I suppose, but the media here seems to have no clue.

I don't disagree that our FO has done an excellent job, save last season's OLine. Maybe the team is in fact slow playing FA, but they have to be talking to some available guys including some of our own.

I also know that relatively the team doesn't have deep pockets for FA, but the media has zero clue where the FO is looking except for some speculative ideas. Maybe they aren't digging much, or enough?

sutz

Reaction score
Strange, but I seem to recall that almost every time they went for a "splashy" FA/trade, it bombed.

We don't have the cash to outbid most of the other teams in the league. Need to be wiser this year, not big risk takers.

Seafan

Reaction score
If you are expecting the Hawks to make a big or early signing then you haven't been paying attention to the Seahawks during the Schneider era.

The national media rumor guys are on the stories more often than local media. If they aren't dropping rumors then see the paragraph above.

If one of the free agents were to visit you'd know about it. If the Hawks were talking to a player agent you'd hear about it. You are being unfair to the local media.

kf3339

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2vmpzrrb said:
kf3339":2vmpzrrb said:
Jerhawk":2vmpzrrb said:
Let's just be patient

Well, thank goodness you're not the Seahawks GM then. I'd prefer the team not spend carelessly in free agency and build through the draft.
Look at the 2013 free agency. Schneider waited, then pounced on Avril and Bennett after the first wave passed and their value decreased.

So you don't care about getting back to and winning the Super Bowl again. Got it.

While they are trying to draft their way back to a real contender status, this team is getting old. We have at most two years with many of our best D players and that's it. No one said spend carelessly in FA, but that doesn't mean only looking thru the garbage bins to fill out your team weaknesses. That has been their approach the last two years.

chris98251

Reaction score
They usually wait till the second and or third wave and pick up guys who thought they were worth more then they are, then it's prove it deals and a chance to win.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1r1dj4ku said:
Think about it. The only waves of FA news you're hearing about right now are the also-ran teams like the Niners, Jaguars and Lions.
Schneider and our front office know what they're doing and they do it right.

No, no, NO!! JC should be breaking the bank for players like Garcon...LMAO, 9ers!! :lol: :lol: :p

hburn21

Reaction score
FA as a whole is quiet this year, lots more money and no player wants to be the 1st to sign a contract and than someone else gets way more.

Dreadbelch

Reaction score
We do this every year on .net at around this time since Pete and John arrived.

Threads like this feel somehow comforting and familiar, don't they? :)

Steve2222

Reaction score
sutz":u6gcnlu1 said:
Strange, but I seem to recall that almost every time they went for a "splashy" FA/trade, it bombed.

We don't have the cash to outbid most of the other teams in the league. Need to be wiser this year, not big risk takers.

Sidney Rice, Zach Miller, Cliff Avril, and Michael Bennett were all huge free agency signings made during the Schneider and Pete era. All of those players were the #1 rated free agent at their position the year the Seahawks signed them....with Avril and Bennett being #1 and #2 in the same free agency class.

I wouldn't say any of those splash free agent signings bombed. Sidney and Zach were instrumental in the 2012 season, which laid the groundwork for our 13 Super Bowl Season. Michael Bennett and Cliff need no explanation. They're currently top players at their position in the league.

What we usually bomb at was trading away our first round pick for Percy Harvin and Jimmy Graham. Percy, because he's a nutcase. And Graham, because our OC is incompetent and doesn't know how to utilize one of the greatest offensive weapons in the game.

Tical21

Reaction score
We talk to more players and agents than anyone. Guys are way overpriced right now, but guys aren't going to get signed to a bargain deal without the Hawks being involved.