Seahawks signing Luke Joeckel to 1 year deal per NFLN

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• Clearly a prove it deal for a player who can play T or G. Interested to see the terms.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

• All things considering, and assuming that the money is right, I think this is a very solid move. Low risk, low commitment
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Starter

• An actual O lineman?? GTHO............. :D
    G-Money
    NET Practice Squad

• #2 overall pick in the 2013 draft. Hasn't panned out so far, but I like the move!
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

• nategreat wrote:#2 overall pick in the 2013 draft. Hasn't panned out so far, but I like the move!

Why hasn't he panned out?....#2 overall pick should DOMINATE.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:
    nategreat wrote:#2 overall pick in the 2013 draft. Hasn't panned out so far, but I like the move!

Very true, but it is Jacksonville
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Starter

• There you go Attyla ... one of your guys!
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• Has anyone seen him play at the pro level?
    Most of what I read label him as a bust, just wondering if you guys feel the same way.
    HawksBrazil
    NET Bench Warmer

• JTB wrote:Rapoport also says TJ Lang scheduled for a visit.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/839946962363371520

I'd be surprised if anything with Lang moves fast or anytime soon. Dude just had hip surgery in January and as a recipient of two hip surgeries in the last 100 days, I can say hip surgery is no joke and takes a LONG time to recover from. Especially if he has a femoralacetabular impingement and a labral tear (which I'm not sure if he has.) This would only add significantly to his recovery time.
    FormerEvil
    NET Rookie

• Largent80 wrote:
    nategreat wrote:#2 overall pick in the 2013 draft. Hasn't panned out so far, but I like the move!

Well should and does isn't always the situation, Aaron Curry Tony Mandarich come to mind...................

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Decent signing. He has had a rough couple years here in Jacksonville. Injuries have slowed him a bit. Tony Boselli is always talking on the radio about how he is a very good lineman.

He isn't a franchise cornerstone or anything but he is an upgrade on what we have.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

• Atleast hes an actual lineman so thats already a plus. Also hearing TJ lang gonna visit nice.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

• Yuck. That's all I have to say.
    GLio14
    NET Practice Squad

• He's an actual lineman so that's positive.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• If that's true, it would probably mean we are not on a premium position to acquire TJ Lang, as we do not have that much money left on cap space.
    HawksBrazil
    NET Bench Warmer

• Like every FA we sign it's premature to react too much until we see the specifcs. Joeckel was a bust at tackle and is coming off a major season-ending knee injury requiring surgery on the ACL, MCL and lateral meniscus. I'd be surprised if most of that $8 million wasn't heavily incentive laden.
    Last edited by AgentDib on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:

Well should and does isn't always the situation, Aaron Curry Tony Mandarich come to mind...................

Ryan Leaf....
    DynoHawk
    NET Veteran

• I dont hate the signing but is this going to be another off season where Schneider scrapes the bottom of the barrel for lineman in order to bring in "competition". Lets go out and get a proven guy! :229031_banghead:
    Zombie Hawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• $8 million YIKES..................Seattle just can't figure it out with choosing and drafting Lineman in the PC/JS era.
    RCATES
    NET Rookie

• Assuming the money is right I'm actually pretty happy about this signing. Nice to see the FO go get a player who is supposed to have a high ceiling. He's had a couple hard years in a loser franchise so I'm interested to see what he can do in a different environment.

Whatever you say, at least at one point he was a highly coveted offensive line prospect. Not a late round d-line or basketball convert :D
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• He's only 25 so he still has room for improvement. He obviously has talent since he went so high in the draft, so it's just a matter of finding out what Cable can do with him.

Does anyone know if Jacksonville uses the same type of blocking scheme that the Seahawks use?
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• I like this deal much more than any involving Matt Kalil.

Joeckel is still only 25 - still very young

He also played exclusively in a 2 point stance at A & M. Takes some time - especially within the new CBA and very very limited time with pads on the field practice - to grow into 3 point / pro-style OL

I would also be excited to see the Seattle strength and conditioning team to get him into a program asap. Was a bit of a knock on him coming out of college was upper body strength

I would not be at all surprised to see Joeckel moved over to the right side, and tried at RT.
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Starter

• HawksBrazil wrote:If that's true, it would probably mean we are not on a premium position to acquire TJ Lang, as we do not have that much money left on cap space.

That infers some of that is non-guaranteed or NLTE incentives. Really interested to see the actual terms.

Joeckel played LT and LG last year before getting hurt. If anything, he offers some experienced versatility with the potential upside given his age.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

• RCATES wrote:$8 million YIKES..................Seattle just can't figure it out with choosing and drafting Lineman in the PC/JS era.

Since you know enough to form an opinion, can you tell the rest of us how much of that is guaranteed?
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• Good move. Yeah, he's been terrible, but with Jacksonville. Worthy reclamation project for a team that epitomizes "beggars".
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Ugh, better pray he doesn't get injured or benched. Come on JS :P
    bandiger
    NET Veteran

• Spleenhawk2.0 wrote:I like this deal much more than any involving Matt Kalil.

You aren't the only one.

HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• Siouxhawk wrote:There you go Attyla ... one of your guys!

I love this deal when you compare it to Kalil's deal. Even compared to Wagner's deal.

He may have been a bust at #2 overall. But do we all not think he's going to be an upgrade to either Fant or Gilliam?

Getting a modest 1 year prove it deal for a player of his youth. I like the deal, even if I'm not super bullish on the player. What it does do is add to the mix. Seattle has flexibility at OT competition should they need to go that route (meaning Gilliam and Fant don't show improvement in TC).

It's a one year patch. This is a bad year for OL. Perfect allocation of modest cap space for a modest answer while freeing up the draft to cull extremely talent rich position groups.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:Ummmmmm....WHO???

????

He was the 2nd overall pick in the 2013 draft.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• drcool wrote:Decent signing. He has had a rough couple years here in Jacksonville. Injuries have slowed him a bit. Tony Boselli is always talking on the radio about how he is a very good lineman.

He isn't a franchise cornerstone or anything but he is an upgrade on what we have.

Cant be worse than fant.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

• People are never going to be happy..We don't have a lot of cap space to buy an elite OL
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• RussB wrote:
    drcool wrote:Decent signing. He has had a rough couple years here in Jacksonville. Injuries have slowed him a bit. Tony Boselli is always talking on the radio about how he is a very good lineman.

Cant be worse than fant.

Is this the time when someone says, "Hold my beer"? With how the line has continued to decline, saying something like that is asking for disappointment. Hoping for the best though.
    Pie Romania
    NET Rookie

• Lang is visiting next week, I'd be much more excited about that signing. Joeckel's been mediocre at best for the Jags.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

• lots of upside and can't be much worse than he's shown, I wonder what the incentives are to max that contract out.
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

• Zombie Hawk wrote:I dont hate the signing but is this going to be another off season where Schneider scrapes the bottom of the barrel for lineman in order to bring in "competition". Lets go out and get a proven guy! :229031_banghead:

They are all bottom of the barrel types. Unless you have a specific name that is available?
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Nice. We didn't even let other teams talk to him. Picked him up in the jet!
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

• Even with how bad Joekel has been in Jacksonville, he grades out as an upgrade over every other O-lineman we have other than Britt.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• IndyHawk wrote:People are never going to be happy..We don't have a lot of cap space to buy an elite OL

My question would be...Is this a more certain talent than Okung for around the same $$??

Doubt it personally.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Zombie Hawk wrote:I dont hate the signing but is this going to be another off season where Schneider scrapes the bottom of the barrel for lineman in order to bring in "competition". Lets go out and get a proven guy! :229031_banghead:

Have you seen the prices for "proven" offensive linemen this offseason.

They can go get a "proven" guy, but be prepared for some cuts on the defensive side.
    Last edited by Mojambo on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Lang is visiting next week, I'd be much more excited about that signing. Joeckel's been mediocre at best for the Jags.

Probably be the second best lineman on this team if he's healthy other than Britt I don't think this team had an average lineman :lol:
    bandiger
    NET Veteran

• I actually wanted them to try and get okung back but this is still better than what they currently have and who knows, a change of scenery and actually being on a contender might bring out the best in this guy. He obviously has potential since he was taken so high in the draft.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

• bandiger wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Lang is visiting next week, I'd be much more excited about that signing. Joeckel's been mediocre at best for the Jags.

Probably be the second best lineman on this team if he's healthy other than Britt I don't think this team had an average lineman :lol:

Tru7th

I read Lang was the 5th rated guard last year, conversely Joeckel was 50th. So don't let Lang leave the building, push Ifedi out to tackle and let's get this thing rolling.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

• Seymour wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:People are never going to be happy..We don't have a lot of cap space to buy an elite OL

My question would be...Is this a more certain talent than Okung for around the same $$??

Doubt it personally.

Okung at the same money? Where did you ever get that notion?

In this market, Okung will get $12million APY. If Matt Kalil gets $11million, Okung clearly gets more. Plus this speculation assumes that Okung would have any interest in resigning with the team

Plus, the max Joeckel can receive is $8million - it appears to be an incentive laced deal.....

This is a great "buy low" deal - Joeckel still has all of the physical tools to make him the #2 overall pick. I would be upset if the Seahawks threw money on a long term deal at any of the other available OL that have signed. Some really bad deals going down today. This is not one of them.
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Starter

• Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    Siouxhawk wrote:There you go Attyla ... one of your guys!

I love this deal when you compare it to Kalil's deal. Even compared to Wagner's deal.

He may have been a bust at #2 overall. But do we all not think he's going to be an upgrade to either Fant or Gilliam?

Getting a modest 1 year prove it deal for a player of his youth. I like the deal, even if I'm not super bullish on the player. What it does do is add to the mix. Seattle has flexibility at OT competition should they need to go that route (meaning Gilliam and Fant don't show improvement in TC).

It's a one year patch. This is a bad year for OL. Perfect allocation of modest cap space for a modest answer while freeing up the draft to cull extremely talent rich position groups.

looking at this move I like it. I view it as the make or break audition for cable. They spend all their time saying how cable is the best Oline coach in the league. Now he has a #2 overall pick that if he can salvage his career and turn him into a good player he can prove his talent.

At this time last year we had 0 faith in Britt being even capable of being a starter. Now he is a borderline probowler... Cable can really prove his worth here and I am excited to see what happens. Xfingerscrossed
    "I don't know much, but I imagine that stomping my way through a field of seven-year-olds is the closest I'll ever feel to being Marshawn Lynch. Despite being limited to ten rushes, Lynch mowed through defenders like Zach Efron running into a bachelorette party in Vegas." -@JacsonBevens
    titan3131
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:This years Sowell.

This.

Should've ponied up and gone after Whitworth-an actual proven commodity whom you know what you will get-even at 35. We had the cap space too.

So instead we sign another bust to join the other busts on our existing rag-tag line. Oh and he's coming off major knee surgery too! Excellent.
    2017 Adopt a Rookie: Tedric Thompson
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 9:08 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information