Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seahawks signing Luke Joeckel to 1 year deal per NFLN

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Spleenhawk2.0 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:People are never going to be happy..We don't have a lot of cap space to buy an elite OL

My question would be...Is this a more certain talent than Okung for around the same $$??

Doubt it personally.

Okung at the same money? Where did you ever get that notion?

In this market, Okung will get $12million APY. If Matt Kalil gets $11million, Okung clearly gets more. Plus this speculation assumes that Okung would have any interest in resigning with the team

Plus, the max Joeckel can receive is $8million - it appears to be an incentive laced deal.....

This is a great "buy low" deal - Joeckel still has all of the physical tools to make him the #2 overall pick. I would be upset if the Seahawks threw money on a long term deal at any of the other available OL that have signed. Some really bad deals going down today. This is not one of them.

Sorry. No way in hell Okung gets $12 million, he made $8M last season and was released. You have to assume as a team that they do make the incentives when it comes to accounting for cap space.
    Last edited by Seymour on Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:People are never going to be happy..We don't have a lot of cap space to buy an elite OL

My question would be...Is this a more certain talent than Okung for around the same $$??

Doubt it personally.

Probably not. But Okung's contract is not going to be another 1 year flier. And it won't be incentive laden. He'll get the guarantees he didn't get last year.

This market is much better or Okung. So the deals wouldn't be very similar.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I assume "can earn" means it's not guaranteed? Seeing some of the numbers of the other linemen going off the board, if we want to get someone we all like it was going to cost big time.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Starter

• Seymour wrote:
    Spleenhawk2.0 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Doubt it personally.

In this market, Okung will get $12million APY. If Matt Kalil gets $11million, Okung clearly gets more. Plus this speculation assumes that Okung would have any interest in resigning with the team

Plus, the max Joeckel can receive is $8million - it appears to be an incentive laced deal.....

This is a great "buy low" deal - Joeckel still has all of the physical tools to make him the #2 overall pick. I would be upset if the Seahawks threw money on a long term deal at any of the other available OL that have signed. Some really bad deals going down today. This is not one of them.

Sorry. No way in hell Okung gets $12 million, he made $8M last season and was released. You have to assume as a team that they do make the incentives when it comes to accounting for cap space.

Famous last words.
    FlyHawksFly
    NET Veteran

• Wow even with how bad he is, the 2017 Seahawks are already a better team with him.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• A little surprised based on this report from Rotoworld from last October ; "Updating a previous item, Jaguars LG Luke Joeckel underwent season-ending surgery on Thursday to repair a torn ACL, MCL, and meniscus.
    The free agent-to-be is looking like a question mark for Week 1 next season."

I hope he is progressing faster than this indicates or there won't be much chance to integrate him into the line in OTAs and training camp.
    canfan
    NET Starter

• They should seriously get lang now that all tackles are basically gone off the market. Then maybe draft a nice tackle and this o line could be solid. They need lang though.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

• RussB wrote:They should seriously get lang now that all tackles are basically gone off the market. Then maybe draft a nice tackle and this o line could be solid. They need lang though.

All the tackles are not off the market. lol

You are overreacting big time. Still some solid names out there that would be an upgrade over what we have.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• West TX Hawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:This years Sowell.

another bust to join the other busts on our existing rag-tag line.

Who on the Hawks current existing oline is a bust?
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• Joeckel is a good signing. It's probably the same deal given to Okung by the Broncos. Incentives probably include workout bonus, in his case, rehab bonus, being around the team the entire off-season. Then another small bonus making the roster, then playing time incentives where he has to compete.

It's a plus he can compete at LT/LG.

I also would take any struggling prospect with the Jags with a grain of salt. At only 25, Joeckel is pretty much the same age Moffitt was entering the league. A year younger than when Giacomini broke in with the Seahawks.

And 2 years younger than Robert Gallery, when Cable took the similar struggling high-profiled OT and developed him into a solid contributor at LG.

I like it. If the Seahawks can get Lang, who I assume starts at RG, kicking Ifedi out. Joeckel will compete with Glowinski, and in the least be another body for the LT competition.

Just with the way the OT class in the draft is this year and what Online are getting on this market this shapes out to be a pretty decent addition. A little risk, but tempered with a short-term deal and incentive base qualifiers. This isn't Webb and Joeckel has a much higher ceiling than Sowell.

It's a little step to add talent to the Oline without investing tons of money. Can't hate that. Definitely like this signing much more than Webb and Sowell last season.
    WE ALL WE GOT, WE ALL WE NEED!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

• Pandion Haliaetus wrote:Joeckel is a good signing. It's probably the same deal given to Okung by the Broncos. Incentives probably include workout bonus, in his case, rehab bonus, being around the team the entire off-season. Then another small bonus making the roster, then playing time incentives where he has to compete.

It's a plus he can compete at LT/LG.

I also would take any struggling prospect with the Jags with a grain of salt. At only 25, Joeckel is pretty much the same age Moffitt was entering the league. A year younger than when Giacomini broke in with the Seahawks.

And 2 years younger than Robert Gallery, when Cable took the similar struggling high-profiled OT and developed him into a solid contributor at LG.

I like it. If the Seahawks can get Lang, who I assume starts at RG, kicking Ifedi out. Joeckel will compete with Glowinski, and in the least be another body for the LT competition.

Just with the way the OT class in the draft is this year and what Online are getting on this market this shapes out to be a pretty decent addition. A little risk, but tempered with a short-term deal and incentive base qualifiers. This isn't Webb and Joeckel has a much higher ceiling than Sowell.

It's a little step to add talent to the Oline without investing tons of money. Can't hate that. Definitely like this signing much more than Webb and Sowell last season.

Thinking Joekel is a RT, he really struggled with the basics of playing inside at guard, Also he was teammates with Ifedi so playing next to another might give some familiarity.
    "I don't know much, but I imagine that stomping my way through a field of seven-year-olds is the closest I'll ever feel to being Marshawn Lynch. Despite being limited to ten rushes, Lynch mowed through defenders like Zach Efron running into a bachelorette party in Vegas." -@JacsonBevens
    titan3131
    NET Veteran

• Well JS did a master stroke, wow did Okung get a good deal. Good for him
    4-year deal for $53M with 25M guaranteed.
    bandiger
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    Spleenhawk2.0 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Doubt it personally.

Boom

Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Starter

• Finally some news.

He certainly was a highly regarded draft pick who so far has busted as a pro. He's athletic enough to match the Hawks OLineman profile and needs coaching up.

Time will tell here.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Spleenhawk2.0 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Boom

Best interaction of the day.

That's why you don't talk about things you don't know.
    FlyHawksFly
    NET Veteran

• Spleenhawk2.0 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Boom

Damn! OK...time to eat crow on that. Sorry San Diego Suckers!!

Seymour
    NET Veteran

• I'd feel better about Joeckel if he hadn't had his MCL/ACL/meniscus repaired last October. That's why the price was so low.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Seymour wrote:
    Spleenhawk2.0 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Boom

Damn! OK...time to eat crow on that. Sorry San Diego Suckers!!

That Los Angeles Suckers, pal.

;)

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I like this move, let's hope he pans out. All he has to do is learn Cable's slide and dive system. :lol:
    "Our Quarterback is a Bad Man!" - Michael Robinson
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

• The $8 mil/yr number is the max Joeckel can receive if he earns all his incentives.

I know this player has physical abiity to play OT or OG in the NFL but so far he hasn't played well enough to have his contract option picked up.

He was a very high 1st rd pick in 2013 and was unversally regarded as a player with potential. This 1 yr. signing may prove out to be a smart move or not, and if not the team won't be on the hook for many of incentives and he will be paid a lot less than $8 mil..

I wonder what position Cable sees him best at playing?
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Low risk high reward if true. I love the signing it will probably end up being a one year rental if he plays to his ability. Joeckel may be a bust as a number one pick but he's better then any tackle we have at the moment and probably not even close.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:This years Sowell.

This.

Should've ponied up and gone after Whitworth-an actual proven commodity whom you know what you will get-even at 35. We had the cap space too.

So instead we sign another bust to join the other busts on our existing rag-tag line. Oh and he's coming off major knee surgery too! Excellent.

Thanks for saving me the typing
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

• I think Joeckel may prove to be a good addition as a RT but don't think he fits the bill as a LT. This is not a good draft for LT so the team will have to live with the the poor decisions from previous years for their choices as they had a chance to improve their offensive line by using their draft choices they used on the likes of expendable players like Procise and Collins for core Offensive Line players that could have helped this team in 2016. Pete and John missed the boat last year and the window is closing, As a Seahawks fan I am not happy but just honest about the front office FAILURES to address the Offensive Line that cost this team a chance to win the Super Bowl.
    cjcinec56
    NET Bench Warmer

• cjcinec56 wrote:I think Joeckel may prove to be a good addition as a RT but don't think he fits the bill as a LT. This is not a good draft for LT so the team will have to live with the the poor decisions from previous years for their choices as they had a chance to improve their offensive line by using their draft choices they used on the likes of expendable players like Procise and Collins for core Offensive Line players that could have helped this team in 2016. Pete and John missed the boat last year and the window is closing, As a Seahawks fan I am not happy but just honest about the front office FAILURES to address the Offensive Line that cost this team a chance to win the Super Bowl.

Welcome :irishdrinkers:

Which olinemen in last years draft would you have preferred to Prosise or Collins?
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• Free Agency is a blast. That time of year when fans think they actually know more than Pete or John. And get worked up over stuff they have no control over 8)

"Pick the guy I WANT you to pick"
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• I really hope they get lang. Joeckel, glow, Britt, lang, ifedi sounds like a huge improvement to me. Add in competition from guys on the roster, and possible draft picks, who knows, could be an average to decent o line. That's really all this team needs.
    Click the link, I dare you! You will love it!!!!
    https://youtu.be/RTycAlWhrt8
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Free Agency is a blast. That time of year when fans think they actually know more than Pete or John. And get worked up over stuff they have no control over 8)

"Pick the guy I WANT you to pick"

And start proclaiming that next season WILL be a disaster because we haven't spent $94 million on 2 mediocre offensive linemen within the first 10 seconds of free agency.

Good times. :irishdrinkers:
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:I'd feel better about Joeckel if he hadn't had his MCL/ACL/meniscus repaired last October. That's why the price was so low.

This is how I'm feeling. Someone will come along and say how modern medicine has shortened recovery...Blah..blah...blah.

Those are the 3 components of your knee, all were torn and operated on.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Any O lineman that would have improved one of the worst offensive lines in the league over two players that did not see the field much due to lack of talent or injury. 14 o lineman were chosen between Procise and Collins alone that could have possibly helped the 2016 Seahawks. Pete and John outsmarted themselves and cost this team a chance to compete.
    cjcinec56
    NET Bench Warmer

• But can he play power forward?
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:I'd feel better about Joeckel if he hadn't had his MCL/ACL/meniscus repaired last October. That's why the price was so low.

This is how I'm feeling. Someone will come along and say how modern medicine has shortened recovery...Blah..blah...blah.

Those are the 3 components of your knee, all were torn and operated on.

I sure he underwent a rigorous physical exam. I'm still meh on this deal, but like last year this is the market and unless the Hawks really break the bank there likely aren't any better deals out there. Signing Joeckel is a gamble but so is signing any FA. I could live with the same OL returning so this is a relative plus. I expected a veteran OL signing and here it is.

My question now is which spot they are shoring up. Every position but center seems possible.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Lang is visiting next week, I'd be much more excited about that signing. Joeckel's been mediocre at best for the Jags.

I don't disagree with your post but the Jags OL was ranked better than the Seahawks OL last season. https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-this-season/

Mediocre is a upgrade from what the Seahawks had last season.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• Awesome signing. Talented guy on a one year prove it deal.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• hes a draft bust ...but maybe a change of scenery will help. at least they didnt sign a golf pro to play o line.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Jimjones0384 wrote:I really hope they get lang. Joeckel, glow, Britt, lang, ifedi sounds like a huge improvement to me. Add in competition from guys on the roster, and possible draft picks, who knows, could be an average to decent o line. That's really all this team needs.

Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Seanhawk wrote:But can he play power forward?

Oh heck no.....point guard for shure.... :2thumbs:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:I'd feel better about Joeckel if he hadn't had his MCL/ACL/meniscus repaired last October. That's why the price was so low.

At least he didn't tear his PCL and LCL. <Awkward smile>
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• Does he have a friend named Hoeckle?? We need a Hoeckle and Joeckle..... :twisted:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• I'm surprised to see so many people hating on this deal, I love it. An incentive-laden, one-year "prove it" deal for a former top pick looking for redemption. At the very least, we'll get his best swing. Pure upside, I love it.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

• I enjoy the signing. Joeckel has potential and is instantly one of our top linemen. Incentive laden deal gives a low-risk high-reward feel to the deal. They may add another decent prospect in the draft and have a hell of a competition at the tackle spots.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• I like it! A real o-line talent. And no heavy commitment.
    The Moment: Image
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

• Just glad the fans are not running the Hawks. Let em do their jobs.......
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• This kid has played the O line, he is a high pick and may have played out of position, has an injury that needs to be recovered from, he wants to prove something I am sure, he is better then all our lineman based on performance last year. Instant upgrade.

Even a banged up Pinto that runs is better then that Porsche that doesn't run but is a great conversation piece, or that Yugo that you got cheap but smokes and farts and sometimes stalls that just needs to have the right part replaced to run better.

Your not walking in the Pinto, not bragging either.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• hawkfan68 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Lang is visiting next week, I'd be much more excited about that signing. Joeckel's been mediocre at best for the Jags.

I don't disagree with your post but the Jags OL was ranked better than the Seahawks OL last season. https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-this-season/

Mediocre is a upgrade from what the Seahawks had last season.

Their 19th in pass blocking is better than Cable has ever done in his entire career. A mediocre line takes us to the SB last year and rests the defense (less likely to cave late in games / late in year) as well.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Jville wrote:
    Jimjones0384 wrote:I really hope they get lang. Joeckel, glow, Britt, lang, ifedi sounds like a huge improvement to me. Add in competition from guys on the roster, and possible draft picks, who knows, could be an average to decent o line. That's really all this team needs.

Awesome. I have a feeling they will make this happen. They have plenty of space left in the cap. Can you imagine how much signing lang will free the Hawks up in the draft? They can draft bpa, and hopefully restock the cabinets with some good depth, instead of using two or three picks on o linemen.
    Click the link, I dare you! You will love it!!!!
    https://youtu.be/RTycAlWhrt8
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:
    nategreat wrote:#2 overall pick in the 2013 draft. Hasn't panned out so far, but I like the move!

Why hasn't he panned out?....#2 overall pick should DOMINATE.

Shitty Coaching maybe?.
    BROWNS -----> JAGUARS -----> Career DEAD ENDS IMHO.....Yeah, you can give everything you have to prove your worth there, time goes by, you age, the BEST of your youth is GONE, and with crap Coaching? ....WASTED TALENT.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• I want to see HUNGRY IN ACTION in 2017......Good first step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. :2thumbs:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• An actual offensive lineman that's an interesting way go on the OL. Hopefully they can land Lang also. Regardless the OL is already better then 2016's version.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

• Man, if they end up pulling Lang... And then get Britt locked up.

I'd be pretty damn excited. Great blend of youth and experience on the line. Vet leadership, but still opportunities for younger guys to "compete" their way into the lineup.

And no desperate need to go OL in the draft (although I still would if a LT prospect like Ramcek/Bolles drops to them)
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information