RB Latavius Murray visiting Seahawks

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
RB Latavius Murray visiting Seahawks
Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:35 pm
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Re: RB Latavius Murray visiting Seahawks
Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:37 pm
  • Now THIS is something I could get on board with.
    GLio14
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:38 pm
  • Boo on Murray..Charles or Johnson maybe..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:38 pm
  • All these vet RB's coming to town. Are the Hawks smokescreening the draft, or is there something else going on?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:40 pm
  • Interesting. Clearly they are concerned about the durability of Rawls and Procise and he's still relatively young/low mileage on him. Big power back with good speed and he's also good out of the backfield as a receiver.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:42 pm
  • Make this happen JS!

Sent from my A462C using Tapatalk
    Sandpoint Hawk
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:42 pm
  • He was average behind the raiders line which is one of the best in the league. Still want them to get AP. I like chris johnson though im a fan of his.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:43 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:All these vet RB's coming to town. Are the Hawks smokescreening the draft, or is there something else going on?

I don't think so.

I think we're hedging. In this case, the RB group is strong in the draft. But we're probably not picking one before R3. If 'our guy' isn't available, then either we reach mightily in the 3rd, or have to punt to R6. That two round gap is problematic for us.

If we add a vet RB this year, we have the flexibility to punt on RB for the entire draft.

Seattle has for some time used UFA period to hedge against unforeseen possibility in the draft. This makes sense if you view it in the context that Seattle can't know how the RB draft will unfold by end of R3.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:46 pm
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:All these vet RB's coming to town. Are the Hawks smokescreening the draft, or is there something else going on?

I don't think so.

I think we're hedging. In this case, the RB group is strong in the draft. But we're probably not picking one before R3. If 'our guy' isn't available, then either we reach mightily in the 3rd, or have to punt to R6. That two round gap is problematic for us.

If we add a vet RB this year, we have the flexibility to punt on RB for the entire draft.

Seattle has for some time used UFA period to hedge against unforeseen possibility in the draft. This makes sense if you view it in the context that Seattle can't know how the RB draft will unfold by end of R3.

I'm having a gut feeling one of those 3rd's gets moved for a 4th or 5th or combo.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:57 pm
  • I think Murray fits here better than both AP and Charles. I like the guy a lot, but I think he can get more than we'll be willing to pay for a vet who is really only being brought in as insurance.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:06 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:I'm having a gut feeling one of those 3rd's gets moved for a 4th or 5th or combo.

Right there with you. I think not having a pick in those ranges is eating at Scheider way more than we think.

I do think though, that with the incredible depth of talent this year, it's worth having the flexibility to just burn all three third round picks. Really with this talent, that's like having 3 late second round picks in a normal year. Imagine getting three Tyler Lockett type talents with those picks.

I actually think we may end up moving back from R1, into R2 and picking up a 4th/5th in that way. There is going to be very unusual value in the 75-110 range of this draft.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:19 pm
  • No thank you to Murray, seems slow and doesn't run with power for a guy his size.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:23 pm
  • getnasty wrote:No thank you to Murray, seems slow and doesn't run with power for a guy his size.

Ummm no, I would disagree. At 223# he ran a 4.38 40 on his pro day. That is blazing fast for that size, or any size for that matter.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2013/4/14/4184726/nfl-draft-2013-seahawks-sleepers-rb-fb-latavius-murray

This has got to appeal to Pete Carroll, who preaches taking care of the football over almost everything else. Also appealing about Murray is his freakish athleticism. At UCF's Pro Day, Murray weighed in at 6-foot-2 5/8 and 223 pounds, ran a 4.4 and 4.38 40-yard dash, registered a 10-foot-4 broad jump and a 36-inch vertical jump, ran 4.36 seconds in the short shuttle and an absurd 6.81 seconds in the 3-cone. This guy can move.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:46 pm
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I'm having a gut feeling one of those 3rd's gets moved for a 4th or 5th or combo.

Right there with you. I think not having a pick in those ranges is eating at Scheider way more than we think.

I do think though, that with the incredible depth of talent this year, it's worth having the flexibility to just burn all three third round picks. Really with this talent, that's like having 3 late second round picks in a normal year. Imagine getting three Tyler Lockett type talents with those picks.

I actually think we may end up moving back from R1, into R2 and picking up a 4th/5th in that way. There is going to be very unusual value in the 75-110 range of this draft.

4/5 is right in Schneider's wheelhouse. I can't imagine he'd stand pat and not at least try to get picks there.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:24 pm
  • It's silly to worry about the 4th/5th round gap. If the guys we want aren't there in the 3rd we can trade down. Even if we don't do that we can always trade future picks.

I'm really excited about the five picks we he have between the 1st and 3rd. If they all pan out we are in really good shape. I'm guessing one of those picks will be a RB.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:32 pm
  • A-Dog wrote:It's silly to worry about the 4th/5th round gap. If the guys we want aren't there in the 3rd we can trade down. Even if we don't do that we can always trade future picks.

I'm really excited about the five picks we he have between the 1st and 3rd. If they all pan out we are in really good shape. I'm guessing one of those picks will be a RB.

Yep, seems simple to me. Two thirds is better than a fourth and fifth. Maybe they will take advantage and turn em into a couple of stud defensive players.
    Alert The Legion.
    Jimjones0384
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:39 pm
  • I don't think it is silly to be concerned about the 4th and 5th rounds with ZERO picks. ESPECIALLY in THIS draft, when we need depth.

I will GUARANTEE you that Schneider feels that way also.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:50 pm
  • Gosh, I hope this happens. I love Murray's game. Quick, tough, soft hands, holds onto the ball, great blocking back. He is a true every down back with very low wear on his tires. Give me Murray over Rawls every day of the week.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:20 pm
  • Murray isn't good for this scheme. He doesn't cut fast enough and runs too upright.

I'd rather take a chance on Lacy eating celery once in a while. He's 5x more talented.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:39 pm
  • 6'3, 230, 4.38 combine 40 and 12 touchdowns last year

:drool:
    BlueBlood
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:54 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:I don't think it is silly to be concerned about the 4th and 5th rounds with ZERO picks. ESPECIALLY in THIS draft, when we need depth.

I guarantee he would rather have 3 3rd's than a 3rd, 4th, and 5th.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:59 pm
  • Any mathematicians here? What does 3.9 ypc with an elite line translate to with ours?
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:46 pm
  • Well Lynch wasn't doing to well in Buffalo either before we traded for him, he has size and tools, if we can get down hill level running from him he may turn into something here.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:54 pm
  • Murray is a terrible scheme fit unless our O-line gets a hell of a lot better. He doesn't break tackles or make people miss. We shouldn't be paying for a RB unless they are good, there will be a greater supply than demand this year and are hopefully trying to drive up the price In some of these guys.
    Timmahawk
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:02 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:Any mathematicians here? What does 3.9 ypc with an elite line translate to with ours?

I believe it would be minus 3.9, your welcome.
    907Hawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:10 pm
  • I have mixed feelings on Murray. I live near Syracuse,NY and my kid played ball against Murray. He never "looked" fast but he always torched people in high school. He ran a 4.3 at his pro day and he has size. But, somehow, that hasn't really transferred to the pros. I think another poster was right on with the fact that he runs too upright. He is not a ground pounder. I would love to see a local kid (for me) in a 'Hawks uniform but I'm not sure his style would work for us.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:22 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Well Lynch wasn't doing to well in Buffalo either before we traded for him, he has size and tools, if we can get down hill level running from him he may turn into something here.

Fair enough point. When I started looking at upcoming RB's in about week 12, he was the guy I first wanted. Big and fast. Watching his highlight tapes is just really uninspiring though. He doesn't run with much imagination nor bad-assery.

At the end of the day though, with Rawls and Procise as our other backs, the biggest need we might have is a guy we can hand it to a bunch of times that gets a handful of yards consistently, and plays more weeks than he doesn't. Although, I think he missed a good chunk of time this year, don't remember why.

Very surprised we haven't been rumored to be in discussions with Blount.

With Murray, Charles, Peterson, Lacy etc., it may just come down to who comes cheap, and there's a strong possibility none of them will.

Joe Williams is still the guy I want.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:28 pm
  • I don't really like him that much. He has a high center of gravity and he really didn't do that well of a job running behind that good Raiders O-Line.
    Mexi
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:28 am
  • Too tall and upright. I prefer more forward lean.
    "It's about us getting ready to play. It's not about the other team. We'll beat ourselves before they beat us. That's always our approach."

Pete Carroll
    Mick063
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:47 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I don't think it is silly to be concerned about the 4th and 5th rounds with ZERO picks. ESPECIALLY in THIS draft, when we need depth.

While that may be true it is also true he will be moving picks around to get into those rounds we don't have picks in, he's done it before.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:19 am
  • Largent80 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I don't think it is silly to be concerned about the 4th and 5th rounds with ZERO picks. ESPECIALLY in THIS draft, when we need depth.

While that may be true it is also true he will be moving picks around to get into those rounds we don't have picks in, he's done it before.

I could get a good look at a t-bone by sticking my head up a bulls ass, but I'd rather take the butchers word for it.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:27 am
  • At the very least, maybe this lights a fire under Collins and the rest.

We still have a huge Marshawn-shaped hole in our offensive toughness. If bringing in new guys can draw out a little nasty, territorial competitiveness in our current RBs, that's a good thing.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:47 pm
  • HawkAroundTheClock wrote:At the very least, maybe this lights a fire under Collins and the rest.

We still have a huge Marshawn-shaped hole in our offensive toughness. If bringing in new guys can draw out a little nasty, territorial competitiveness in our current RBs, that's a good thing.

I don't think Collins, nor any of the rest as you say, are holding anything back, I see it as them not having the toughness to take their play to Marshawn Lynch's "BEASTMODE" level, NOR were they getting the Run Push from the O-Line like ML was getting a few Years back.
    It's obvious to most, that the last couple Years, the O-Line has been in a crud-funk, where they failed to Push for the Run Game, and are equally inept at Pass Protection.
    Rawls was able to get by without a lot of help from the O-Line, BUT, he couldn't sustain...Too much pounding by Defenses.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:15 pm
  • He sure looks pretty good in these highlights from last season and the season prior -

He reminds me of Chris Warren. Seahawks rb in the 1990s with his style. Chris was tall rb too.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:34 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information