Competition and depth at QB

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
As things stand Boykin is our qb2. I have no problem with this as I loved the guy coming out of TCU. He's clearly very raw though and I wonder what the plan would be if RW went down.

With that in mind and at the very least we need camp arms are there any FA qbs you would kick the tires on? Kaepernick has been mentioned as will be I'm sure, now that he has been released, RG3.

What about the draft, is there anyone in the later rounds or udfa that might have a chance of beating out Boykin or provide some decent camp competition?

In short, qb2 what do?

HawkGA

Reaction score
I think they bring in a camp arm but that is about it. Could be wrong but they showed last year they were fine with Boykin in the #2 spot, so why go out and spend more money on that position?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'm fine with Boykin at backup.

What about Jake Heaps? Can we bring him back as a camp arm? His pre season play wasn't good, and he was overshadowed by Boykins' exciting play. But I wouldn't mind seeing him come back again

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I like boykin as well. Rg3 is a free agent, and not expected to sign anywhere.

AgentDib

Reaction score
HawkGA":1bnmhnv4 said:
I think they bring in a camp arm but that is about it. Could be wrong but they showed last year they were fine with Boykin in the #2 spot, so why go out and spend more money on that position?
I thought last year showed that they weren't fine with Boykin in the #2 spot, as demonstrated by our starting QB attempting to play through multiple serious injuries. Maybe Boykin will be ready with another year of development but with the limited reps available these days you want your #2 guy to be a veteran who doesn't take reps away from your starter in practice but can come in and give you a chance in 1-4 games each year.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Foghawk":1vdniugm said:
Siouxhawk":1vdniugm said:
Family reunion with Tarvaris?

Best coin toss caller to ever play the game. That said, I know you're kidding.
I'm not kidding, Foghawk. Nothing against Boykin, but I'd still rather have T-Jack as our backup. I understand he had the incident with his wife last summer, but he was cleared of those charges. Even if he underwent counseling and was either mandated or chose to miss last season, I would think he'd be freed up to play in 2017. Maybe there's more going on behind the scenes that we haven't heard, but I'd at least like to see him compete for the job at camp.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
[/ It's Johnny Football time... :stirthepot:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Like the idea of Kaep.

I don't think Boykin is ready. And we've seen the kind of juice a QB can have on the open market. Even if they are a backup.

If you add Kaep for a season. If he's signed away as a UFA, that's a free comp pick. And QBs -- even suspect ones -- on the open market go for decent salaries. Could be just stashing a future 3rd/4th comp pick at worst. And having a more reliable backup in case of injury at best.

Russell really was herculean in his efforts to stay on the field. Maybe he doesn't have to do that in the future if your backup is a rookie who will definitely lose games in the process.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":txkdvyjk said:
Foghawk":txkdvyjk said:
Siouxhawk":txkdvyjk said:
Family reunion with Tarvaris?

Best coin toss caller to ever play the game. That said, I know you're kidding.
I'm not kidding, Foghawk. Nothing against Boykin, but I'd still rather have T-Jack as our backup. I understand he had the incident with his wife last summer, but he was cleared of those charges. Even if he underwent counseling and was either mandated or chose to miss last season, I would think he'd be freed up to play in 2017. Maybe there's more going on behind the scenes that we haven't heard, but I'd at least like to see him compete for the job at camp.

:lol:

Nothing against TJ, but that ship has sailed IMO. I think we will be looking elsewhere for competition.

HawkGA

Reaction score
AgentDib":1u9kfwrn said:
HawkGA":1u9kfwrn said:
I thought last year showed that they weren't fine with Boykin in the #2 spot, as demonstrated by our starting QB attempting to play through multiple serious injuries. Maybe Boykin will be ready with another year of development but with the limited reps available these days you want your #2 guy to be a veteran who doesn't take reps away from your starter in practice but can come in and give you a chance in 1-4 games each year.

And yet at no point did they make a move to bring in a veteran last year. An injured Russ was even more likely to suffer a costly injury. I don't think they didn't play Boykin because they were afraid to (though I'm sure they were, at least a little). I think they didn't play Boykin because Russ could play.

Rat

Reaction score
toffee":2x8zhdg7 said:
kaepernick, sign him with vet minimum to backup Wilson

He didn't opt out of his large contract to take a vet min backup job.