Offensive Line Options

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Clearly the Seahawks are looking for a serious offensive line upgrade this offseason, both the Joeckel deal and the Lang offer demonstrate this. The best move at this point would be to find young OL talent with potential, rather than throw money at an aging veteran - like Clady or Evans. There are few (none?) starting caliber offensive linemen left in free agency, so a trade may be the best option.

Here are a few options, both free agents and trade targets. All are younger, and some have some untapped potential.

Free Agents

Brian Schwenke (G) - Drafted by the Titans in the 4th round out of Cal, Schwenke has experience at both Guard spots and Center. Has the athletic profile that the Seahawks prefer, but has very short 32" arms. Has some starting experience, and could be a solid back-up. Would likely only be on the roster to push the current starters - I do not see him beating out Glowinski, Britt, or Ifedi. His contract would have to be very reasonable to sign him

Austin Pasztor (G/T) - Interesting prospect. Has bounced around a bit. Was the 4th overall pick in the first round by Edmonton in the CFL, and was not drafted in the NFL. Can play both Guard and Tackle, and started some games for Jaguars. I do not believe he was a starter for the 1 1/2 years he was on the Browns active roster, but I could see Seattle being interested in his athletic profile and position flexibility. Again, would likely be a back-up.

Trade Targets

Joe Dahl / Laken Tomlinson, Detroit - With the addition of TJ Lang, neither Dahl nor Tomlinson have a starting position on the Lions roster, and they also have Brandon Thomas - former 49ers 3rd round pick - signed to a futures contract. I think Dahl is the much better player, and fits the Seahawks interior line needs. But Tomlinson may be more readily available. I would not be surprised at all if Seattle was not already on the phone with Detroit to see about the availability of either of these two. I believe Dahl could challenge Glowinski for a starting spot day one.

Connor McGovern, Denver - Drafted in the 4th round in the 2016 Draft, McGovern was someone that I was very high on and hoping the Seahawks would select him. Currently a back-up with Denver, and they just dropped a bit of cash on the OL. They may consider moving McGovern for a draft pick. It would be perfect if we had our 4th rounder, and offer that to Denver. I would hope that they would consider a 2018 3rd rounder....would hate to spend one of the 2017 3rd rounders with the incredibly deep draft on defense.

Isaac Seumalo, Philadelphia - Another backup who may be available for the right price, Seumalo was drafted in the 3rd round last year. Not sure the Eagles would want to move him, and the cost would likely be more than we would be willing to pay. But he fits the athletic profile that the Seahawks typically look for in an interior OL.

Caleb Benenoch, Tampa Bay - Benenoch was a 5th round draft choice of the Bucs last year, and is another backup. He has ok athleticism, and was primarily an OT during his years at UCLA. He is currently a primary OG backup, and that is probably his long-term position. May be able to get him for a low round pick, but I do not think that Benenoch has the potential to be much more than a career backup. Likely a solid backup, but may not be much of an improvement over what we currently have starting. Potential is there though.

Any other names you would add to the list?

Seafan

Reaction score
There may be a veteran that gets released late spring or early summer that could interest the Hawks. Giacomini and Clady are also still out there.

Josea16

Reaction score
Seafan":2qrz36qr said:
There may be a veteran that gets released late spring or early summer that could interest the Hawks. Giacomini and Clady are also still out there.
I thought Gio resigned with the Jets? Denver isn't going to trade any OL away they are in our boat. Most of what they have is subpar, our advantage is most of our trash were rookies.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":1ny8oevk said:
Clearly the Seahawks are looking for a serious offensive line upgrade this offseason, both the Joeckel deal and the Lang offer demonstrate this. The best move at this point would be to find young OL talent with potential, rather than throw money at an aging veteran - like Clady or Evans. There are few (none?) starting caliber offensive linemen left in free agency, so a trade may be the best option.

Here are a few options, both free agents and trade targets. All are younger, and some have some untapped potential.

Free Agents

Brian Schwenke (G) - Drafted by the Titans in the 4th round out of Cal, Schwenke has experience at both Guard spots and Center. Has the athletic profile that the Seahawks prefer, but has very short 32" arms. Has some starting experience, and could be a solid back-up. Would likely only be on the roster to push the current starters - I do not see him beating out Glowinski, Britt, or Ifedi. His contract would have to be very reasonable to sign him

Austin Pasztor (G/T) - Interesting prospect. Has bounced around a bit. Was the 4th overall pick in the first round by Edmonton in the CFL, and was not drafted in the NFL. Can play both Guard and Tackle, and started some games for Jaguars. I do not believe he was a starter for the 1 1/2 years he was on the Browns active roster, but I could see Seattle being interested in his athletic profile and position flexibility. Again, would likely be a back-up.

Trade Targets

Joe Dahl / Laken Tomlinson, Detroit - With the addition of TJ Lang, neither Dahl nor Tomlinson have a starting position on the Lions roster, and they also have Brandon Thomas - former 49ers 3rd round pick - signed to a futures contract. I think Dahl is the much better player, and fits the Seahawks interior line needs. But Tomlinson may be more readily available. I would not be surprised at all if Seattle was not already on the phone with Detroit to see about the availability of either of these two. I believe Dahl could challenge Glowinski for a starting spot day one.

Connor McGovern, Denver - Drafted in the 4th round in the 2016 Draft, McGovern was someone that I was very high on and hoping the Seahawks would select him. Currently a back-up with Denver, and they just dropped a bit of cash on the OL. They may consider moving McGovern for a draft pick. It would be perfect if we had our 4th rounder, and offer that to Denver. I would hope that they would consider a 2018 3rd rounder....would hate to spend one of the 2017 3rd rounders with the incredibly deep draft on defense.

Isaac Seumalo, Philadelphia - Another backup who may be available for the right price, Seumalo was drafted in the 3rd round last year. Not sure the Eagles would want to move him, and the cost would likely be more than we would be willing to pay. But he fits the athletic profile that the Seahawks typically look for in an interior OL.

Caleb Benenoch, Tampa Bay - Benenoch was a 5th round draft choice of the Bucs last year, and is another backup. He has ok athleticism, and was primarily an OT during his years at UCLA. He is currently a primary OG backup, and that is probably his long-term position. May be able to get him for a low round pick, but I do not think that Benenoch has the potential to be much more than a career backup. Likely a solid backup, but may not be much of an improvement over what we currently have starting. Potential is there though.

Any other names you would add to the list?
This is a sweet post, Spleen! Way to do your homework and share with us. I'm inclined to be partial to McGovern, as he's a North Dakota boy, but I honestly don't know that much about him. Keep us updated brother.

Seafan

Reaction score
Josea16":3190qzhu said:
Seafan":3190qzhu said:
I thought Gio resigned with the Jets? Denver isn't going to trade any OL away they are in our boat. Most of what they have is subpar, our advantage is most of our trash were rookies.

Both are free agents. My point being there aren't any great options available to the Hawks right now but a decent starting caliber tackle could become available in a few months.

original poster

Reaction score
RussB":32azyubs said:
Trade jimmy g for a guy like joe thomas.

Awful idea.

Jimmy had nigh on 1000 yards last year. With our WR corps where would that leave us?

Josea16

Reaction score
original poster":3in8om60 said:
RussB":3in8om60 said:

Awful idea.

Jimmy had nigh on 1000 yards last year. With our WR corps where would that leave us?
In the mud. You straight know this. By the way sir.... we are going to kill New England this year. 8)

Largent80

Reaction score
I think there are a lot of good guards in the draft and the Seahawks will target someone there.

Slick

Reaction score
What about Frank Beede and Peter Warrick? They both plan lineman right? OK?

Josea16

Reaction score
Largent80":hhc13jxh said:
I think there are a lot of good guards in the draft and the Seahawks will target someone there.
Hopefully after CB, FS, LB and RB. :D.

Unless some elite OL drops within range of a realistic trade up. Then all bets are off. Walter and Steve were boring but they were nails and made everyone better and look like Hofer's.

Largent80

Reaction score
After watching the money given to mediocre o linemen I see the best prospects long gone by our pick.

That's why I think they draft a guard somewhere because there are several decent ones available.

Josea16

Reaction score
Largent80":538nawt0 said:
After watching the money given to mediocre o linemen I see the best prospects long gone by our pick.

That's why I think they draft a guard somewhere because there are several decent ones available.
I don't think you're off given what we offered to a proven good guard but this draft is so loaded with real defense. I say we go nuts on defense in the draft and a running back and roll with our crap offense.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
If we're truly looking at OG (Lang suggests this is so), then there are a lot of really great OG options in this draft.

If we're looking at OT, then we're almost assured we're going to have an even worse prospect than Ifedi was last year.

It's worth noting, that there are always players that come available as the preseason unfolds. If we're looking at OG, then it's not unreasonable or unexpected that there will be some talent to hit the street in August. The options in March may be grim. But you don't *HAVE* to resolve that position right now or even in April.

Josea16

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":37d6i1ft said:
If we're truly looking at OG (Lang suggests this is so), then there are a lot of really great OG options in this draft.

If we're looking at OT, then we're almost assured we're going to have an even worse prospect than Ifedi was last year.
Yeah that is the issue draft someone really good were we are fine or take advantage of completely reloading the defense at spots not usually easily done because everyone is trying to copy us.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Josea16":1ln8in1o said:
Yeah that is the issue draft someone really good were we are fine or take advantage of completely reloading the defense at spots not usually easily done because everyone is trying to copy us.

This draft has great options in the 15-40 range. But it also has some good prospects in the 40-75 range.

It wouldn't require we burn #26 to address adequately. Although point is valid that adding Lang would have given us full flexibility with our top 5 picks elsewhere.

RussB

Reaction score
original poster":3ezx3r4y said:
RussB":3ezx3r4y said:

Awful idea.

Were did graham get is us in the playoffs? Because last i remember the falcons mauled our o line and graham had like 2 catches. And that was the story alot of games. Id rather have a good line.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Does a guy like King Dunlop fit into the "better than what we have now" category? Just released by the Chargers

King Dog

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":h2e17n17 said:
Does a guy like King Dunlop fit into the "better than what we have now" category? Just released by the Chargers

I don't know, but I like this picture of him
TG8D618

mrt144

Reaction score
King Dog":y29q3cv2 said:
HawkRiderFan":y29q3cv2 said:

I don't know, but I like this picture of him
TG8D618

Whoa perspective shot!