Interesting points made by Gee Scott on the OLine

ivotuk

Reaction score
Listening to Clayton from last week (7th), and Gee Scott behind the lines, Gee was with "Fant, Glow, Britt, and some others at the gym (not allowed to use VMAC per CBA), doing "ab workouts." You heard that right, offensive linemen doing ab workouts.

I think we're going to see a huge improvement from this line in year 2, and it's because of Britt's leadership. Gee said "when Britt first got here, he was quiet, but now you can tell who's the leader just by the way the other players act around him, and who does the talking."

I found Gee's points to be very encouraging, and think that this line may start 2017 intact, and play fairly well. Fant is an athletic monster, all he needs are reps. And he's got Justin Britt leading him around, showing him how to go from "almost bust" to Pro Bowler.

Gee also said he doesn't hold out much hope for Gilliam being here next year. "He's not a dawg."

Here's the podcast:

John Clayton

March 7, 2017 - Hour 1

Originally aired: Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Top Five Stories of the Day: Free agency negotiation period starts today, DJ Fluker joins an already solid o-line free agent class, Seahawks offer a free agent tender to Gary Gilliam, Mariners top Rangers and T.O. continues his battle with HOF committee. Listener Question: Who is the one player you want the Seahawks to sign?

Behind the Lines with Gee Scott: Should the Seahawks expect another big year from Justin Britt?

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... %20Clayton

Jville

Reaction score
So ....... it has grown from the very productive Britt / Glowinski dual of last off season workouts ........ to a trio of Britt / Glowinski / Fant.

Nice!

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Can you imagine, Justin Britt at 321 pounds, doing ab workouts? Wow. Fant, I could see, he is that athletic, but Glow?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I imagine there will be atleast two new Olinemen not including Joeckel

Jville

Reaction score
Glow is more athletic than generally acknowledged. As long as they all continue to work on flexibility and quickness, they can add more mass. They are all still in their early years. The best is yet to come.

Exciting times :2thumbs:

endzorn

Reaction score
I understand that we're grasping at anything that sounds like good news from the offensive line, but this is a non-story. We all heard last season that Britt had stepped into a leadership role and our line was a sloppy mess of dirty toilet water. I'm not sure how ab workouts separate them from other lines. I venture a guess that most lines work diligently together in the offseason with the difference being that most lines are also more talented.

I want to believe that this offensive line will be OK as much as any of you, but the reality is that we've seen nothing on the field to make us think they can be anything other than below average.

That said...go Hawks.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Uncle Si":lq7ilj95 said:

I highly doubt that. Not 2 new starters at least. For as much as the line needs improving, I suspect the Hawks are going to go for continuity rather than individual upgrades.

I expect RT to be somebody new and that is it. There's an outside chance, I think, that they are able to draft one of the top tackles and if that happens they might unseat Fant. But I don't really see that happening.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
HawkGA":3ezm053b said:
Uncle Si":3ezm053b said:

I highly doubt that. Not 2 new starters at least. For as much as the line needs improving, I suspect the Hawks are going to go for continuity rather than individual upgrades.

I expect RT to be somebody new and that is it. There's an outside chance, I think, that they are able to draft one of the top tackles and if that happens they might unseat Fant. But I don't really see that happening.

Well they've signed one new starter and were clearly after another just yesterday.

HawkGA

Reaction score
And they lost out. I'm not saying they don't need 2 new starters. I'm just saying I don't think it will happen.

To have 2 new starters in addition to Joeckel would mean turning over 3/5s of the line. Just don't see it.

That said, another wildcard that could come into play in terms of starters is Rees. But I think he's more likely to be in competition at the RT spot as will Joeckel.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
HawkGA":14dpmxo6 said:
And they lost out. I'm not saying they don't need 2 new starters. I'm just saying I don't think it will happen.

To have 2 new starters in addition to Joeckel would mean turning over 3/5s of the line. Just don't see it.

That said, another wildcard that could come into play in terms of starters is Rees. But I think he's more likely to be in competition at the RT spot as will Joeckel.

I'm thinking one new starter and one more for the pool.. not sure it was all or nothing on Lang

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2dblbjt8 said:
HawkGA":2dblbjt8 said:
Uncle Si":2dblbjt8 said:

Well they've signed one new starter and were clearly after another just yesterday.

Using your words, "shouldn't we wait to see how that plays out?"

He was beaten out by a 7th rounder in Jacksonville and coming off a major injury, so I do not think it is safe to assume he is a day 1 starter quite yet personally.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
endzorn":6szp2va7 said:
I understand that we're grasping at anything that sounds like good news from the offensive line, but this is a non-story. We all heard last season that Britt had stepped into a leadership role and our line was a sloppy mess of dirty toilet water. I'm not sure how ab workouts separate them from other lines. I venture a guess that most lines work diligently together in the offseason with the difference being that most lines are also more talented.

I want to believe that this offensive line will be OK as much as any of you, but the reality is that we've seen nothing on the field to make us think they can be anything other than below average.

Harsh words for rookies. Especially given that Fant has never had a full offseason of starter reps. I prefer to see him as an unknown quantity, like a draft pick.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Heavy sigh...

Sure Seymour...

So then he's the pool Olineman and they are looking for atkeast one and I suspect two more... with one if not both being a starter

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":24bhl7hw said:
Heavy sigh...

Sure Seymour...

So then he's the pool Olineman and they are looking for atkeast one and I suspect two more... with one if not both being a starter

Seriously, it's a legit question. Fant is learning fastest with very good upside and may well hold the L tackle spot. Guards are our strength (hopefully), and I'll guess they want to try him at R tackle. If they do, that makes 3 positions in 4 years, plus 2 injuries, and 2 new pro systems to learn that is stunting this guys growth. Gilliam may be able to hold him off possibly. That said i surely hope he takes that spot leaving no doubt.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Jville":1ge8g1ry said:
Glow is more athletic than generally acknowledged. As long as they all continue to work on flexibility and quickness, they can add more mass. They are all still in their early years. The best is yet to come.

Your outlook is awesome. Hope they make a giant leap, and pcjs sit back, laughing because their plan worked when no one thought it would.

RussB

Reaction score
Guys like aaron donald and Chandler jones are probably laughing their asses off reading that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2o5985lz said:
endzorn":2o5985lz said:

Harsh words for rookies. Especially given that Fant has never had a full offseason of starter reps. I prefer to see him as an unknown quantity, like a draft pick.

The fact that our FO has now gone hard after and been willing to overpay for two lineman, both of which have serious medical issues tells us that not even the most optimistic coach in the league thinks very highly of the current talent on our O-Line.

Good for Gee for being Mr. Brightside, but he's wrong........and our own FO agrees.

Britt is a solid center, Ifedi and Glowinski are at the bottom of the guard rankings consistently and we had the worst tackle tandem in the entire league last year.

Can they get better? I guess theoretically the answer is yes. God I hope they can, or Russell better get on the horn to Lloyd's of London and insure his entire body cause if not he's gonna get murdered out there next year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":1mt0j8m3 said:
Uncle Si":1mt0j8m3 said:
Heavy sigh...

Sure Seymour...

Seriously, it's a legit question. Fant is learning fastest with very good upside and may well hold the L tackle spot. Guards are our strength (hopefully), and I'll guess they want to try him at R tackle. If they do, that makes 3 positions in 4 years, plus 2 injuries, and 2 new pro systems to learn that is stunting this guys growth. Gilliam may be able to hold him off possibly. That said i surely hope he takes that spot leaving no doubt.

I would agree with your hopes here. It certainly would make life easier. I also agree with Sgt.'s last post. Maybe we can all be right and have a surplus of options.

However, im skeptical they really believe the current crop of Oline candidates are good enough, just based on what they paid Joeckel and offered Lang.

I'm hoping they don't give up that easily just because they missed out on one.

Jville

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":1w2biy8l said:
Jville":1w2biy8l said:

Your outlook is awesome. Hope they make a giant leap, and pcjs sit back, laughing because their plan worked when no one thought it would.

The reinforcement that jumps out in Gee's report is the commitment with which this new generation of linemen work at their craft. Gone are the old days of accommodating guys that reported to OTAs and training camp out of shape. For this new generation ..... there is no off season.

It's a process. Every day matters ..... one day at a time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jville":3jchtplx said:
Jimjones0384":3jchtplx said:
Jville":3jchtplx said:

The reinforcement that jumps out in Gee's report is the commitment with which this new generation of linemen work at their craft. Gone are the old days of accommodating guys that reported to OTAs and training camp out of shape. For this new generation ..... there is no off season.

It's a process. Every day matters ..... one day at a time.

O-line is a different animal, it's almost impossible to bring along 5 new starters and form them into a cohesive productive line in even 2-3 years...........and that's if they have the talent in the first place.

I like Britt, and I do think Ifedi can become a decent guard. But no line can be good without at least serviceable tackles.

Believe me, I'd love to be optimistic about our line, but all I see is another disaster line year without signing guys like Lang who can come in and at least stabilize one of the 4 critical need positions other than Britt.