Question about RFA negotiating.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
For example, let's say the Seahawks go after RFA Panthers OG Andrew Norwell, who is average but trending up.

He has a 2nd Round tender.

Let's say the Seahawks do a 5 yr, 30m... same as Mike Remmers got with only a 5m SB. 1m 2017 base. Only costs 2m against the Cap in 2017. Let's say the other Cap Hits from '18-'21: 5, 7, 8, 9 with dead cap hits of -4 (+1 in cap), -3 (+4 in cap), -2 (+6), -1 (+8). Or just a contract to that effect that has a low 2017 hit but pretty easy to get out of if needed.

But my question is if Norwell accepted this type of deal and the Panthers chose not to match... Can the Seahawks negotiate the compensation or is that set in stone as a 2nd rounder?

Let's say Seahawks love how deep this draft is for Secondary, so they don't want to lose a 2nd round pick.

Could they negotiate the compensation by offering thier 2018 1st Rounder for Norwell and the Panthers 2017 5th round pick?

This would move the O-Line to Joeckel, Norwell, Britt, Glowinski, Ifedi with Fant, Odhiambo, Hunt, and Gilliam as reserves.

Or just cut Gilliam and use his 1.8m to sign both Jahri Evans and Giacomini back to vet min deals (1m + 900k, I think) giving the Seahawks a pair of experienced veteran reserves that will help Cable coach up and set the tone.

Another question would be would that move be worth it? A 2018 first rounder in the 24-32 range is pretty much worth a 2017 2nd Rounder in the 35-45 range. Which is where the 5th round pick comes in.

Do we really want to burn another 1st Rounder on a OL in this draft? When this draft is set up to give the Seahawks depth on defense.

But in this scenario I do burn a 2018 first rounder. However, the trade off is whomever the 2nd round pick is, is going to have a year under his belt and possibly helps us now. Norwell helps us now as an O-Line with 3 years of exp, SB exp, and still improving. And that 5th round pick helps negate that big hole from 3rd to 6th round.

Would you do it, if you could?

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Don't really know much about the guy, but why wouldn't someone give a second round pick to sign a starting offensive lineman? Unless a team is picking in the top ten or twenty, starting o lineman are near impossible to find. Even picking in the top 20 doesn't even guarantee a good player.

kidhawk

Reaction score
As far as I know, the picks are set in stone and can't be negotiated. I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure. Although I would never see it happening, I suppose it might be possible, to make the deal, then negotiate to get that 2nd round pick back by trading for it as a separate transaction, but that starts getting in the "way out there" kind of scenario that I can't see any team doing even if it is possible.

A more likely scenario would be a team has talks with the Panthers and works out an arrangement where they sign the player to the contract that they'd have offered him and then make a trade for a different pick. This would be much simpler and easier to work out, although I still find it to be a rather unlikely scenario.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Ans: if we offered a deal to a player with a 2nd round RFA tender and the tendering team fails to match we then owe that team a 2nd round pick, get the player, and pay the contract.

I'm not sure Norwood is worth a 2nd rd. pick or is that much of an improvement over what the Hawks have here now. so while I like the structure of the contract I'd rather keep the 2nd rd. pick.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Ans: if we offered a deal to a player with a 2nd round RFA tender and the tendering team fails to match we then owe that team a 2nd round pick, get the player, and pay the contract. The compensation is part of the RFA rules.

I'm not sure Norwood is worth a 2nd rd. pick or is that much of an improvement over what the Hawks have here now. so while I like the structure of the contract I'd rather keep the 2nd rd. pick.