Seahawks re-sign cornerback Neiko Thorpe

Jville

Reaction score
For me, this is a pretty important development. :2thumbs:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/841790543763914752[/tweet]

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He was a good solid pickup last season, great ST player. Nice to seem him back.

sutz

Reaction score
Important depth for the secondary. Familiar with the system. :2thumbs:

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Nice. The dude was everywhere on special teams.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2m8w36rr said:
Nice. The dude was everywhere on special teams.

Neiko is so textbook ....... allowing no room to run. Our two gunners from last year of Neiko and DeAndre Elliott return for 2017.

Usa today 96950690

[urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/3/14/14929080/free-agency-2017-seahawks-re-sign-neiko-thorpe[/urltargetblank]

RussB

Reaction score
I remember him always making plays on special teams and being a great tackler. Great to see him back.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seafan":2i7ly3lx said:
Hendo66":2i7ly3lx said:
Looks alot better in #27 than the last guy.

Not wearing 27 anymore. They gave it to Lacy.

Probably why they waited to sign him after the Lacy signing also, Athletes are superstitious as hell anyway but Thorpe was not officially on the team at that point so the Number was available.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Good signing. Upside as a coached, in house corner while providing an extremely good gunner in the mean time.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3dpzjkjy said:
Nice. He's one guy I wanted back. Now, hopefully we'll see Reece come to terms.

Hope so, he too was another quality acquisition from last season. Good blocker, good out of the backfield. The best FB on the market, hope he's not out of price range.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
jammerhawk":24pac73a said:
Pandion Haliaetus":24pac73a said:

Hope so, he too was another quality acquisition from last season. Good blocker, good out of the backfield. The best FB on the market, hope he's not out of price range.

jammerhawk":24pac73a said:
Pandion Haliaetus":24pac73a said:

Mike Tolbert got 1 yr, 1m. I can see the same for Reece if he wants to come back and play at that number.

I'd honestly go up to $2m for Reece though. At 6-3, 240 he plays more like an H-back and can do many of the same things Luke Willson does at TE. Maybe not the athletic mismatch Willson was at times but Reece is probably the more natural receiver of the two.

If the Seahawks are trying to recreate thier Run Game dominance at its peak.. Lacy and Reece is likely as close to Lynch and M-Rob you can get with the resources the Seahawks have available.

Largent80

Reaction score
Thorpe proved to be very valuable for the Hawks. Played in 15 games and saw the 6th most snaps on ST. Got in on the last 2 games starting after Shead went down (who probably WON'T be ready for the opener).

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Thorpe is a strong run-support corner but really struggles in coverage. But that doesn't matter, because even if he doesn't play a single down on defense he'll be worth his roster spot and salary just for what he provides on ST's coverage. Besides having great speed getting downfield and a very wide, long-limbed tackling radius, he really understands the concepts around gathering yourself, breaking down in space, and corralling the return man without over-pursuing and taking yourself out of the play. Thorpe's 9 tackles on ST's last year is very misleading, as it doesn't account for all the times that his pursuit and positioning forced the return man to re-direct right into the arms of another tackler in the immediate area.