Pete Carroll interview on New and missed FA players

nanomoz

Reaction score
Ian Furness looks like a more prickish Mr. Bean stunt double.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
nanomoz":3pemejej said:
Ian Furness looks like a more prickish Mr. Bean stunt double.

Excellent feedback. Much appreciated.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
So after hearing this I've got to wonder. Who is lying Pete "we were not outbid on this thing". Or John Clayton "Seattle offered $8M and Detroit offered $9.5M? Since Pete is more the politician, I'll guess Pete is blowing smoke. :stirthepot: :snack:

RussB

Reaction score
1 milllion salary isnt that big of a difference considering that seattle has obviously the better roster than detroit. I do think lang seriously wanted to come and play for the seahawks he just ended up staying home cant really blame him. Lots of players would probably want to play for their home city.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Pete was saying a lot of the things I'd like to hear, particularly multiple bits about the run game, how the run/pass ratio was off and, in that, how the inexperience of the OL showed in pass protection, play calling in terms of how the running game affects the PA and waggle type plays...

This one was really pretty good, IMO.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Seymour":7hxf2j6y said:
So after hearing this I've got to wonder. Who is lying Pete "we were not outbid on this thing". Or John Clayton "Seattle offered $8M and Detroit offered $9.5M? Since Pete is more the politician, I'll guess Pete is blowing smoke. :stirthepot: :snack:

Not necessarily sure, just depends on the ultimate source, when it first came out that Lang was signed , I heard that Detroit matched Seattle's offer and he chose to go with his hometown team.

Good for Detroit though. It's probably not that last time they'll screw us, you know, Tate, Jason Jones, Superbowl 40.

I mean we did bat a ball out of the end zone in 2015 and demolished them in the play-offs in 2016. Call it karma.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Great listen, thanks for sharing. Pete doesn't sound like he feels well.

He is saying the right things about Joeckel and Lacy, I think. And he sounds hopeful about the progression of the offensive line.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Seymour":1vxtyr29 said:

Perhaps Pete knows more than Clayton?

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
StoneCold":2zjdou3w said:
Seymour":2zjdou3w said:

Perhaps Pete knows more than Clayton?

Unquestionably he does. What he lets out is the key though.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Both can be true. We offer 8, and tell Lang we really want you, and would like the opportunity to match any other offer you receive. If they had a ceiling of, say, 10, then they didn't get outbid, they just didn't get the chance to make a higher offer.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
bigskydoc":229fk8sf said:
Both can be true. We offer 8, and tell Lang we really want you, and would like the opportunity to match any other offer you receive. If they had a ceiling of, say, 10, then they didn't get outbid, they just didn't get the chance to make a higher offer.

Hmmm....great point. That is actually a very possible scenario as well.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
To me, what Pete was implying was that this was not a money-motivated decision by Lang in which he simply chose the highest bidder, but rather a family-based decision between two competing and relatively comparable offers. Or put another way, Pete was basically saying "the reason he chose them was not because we didn't offer enough money."

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RussB":17xr4qh9 said:
1 milllion salary isnt that big of a difference considering that seattle has obviously the better roster than detroit. I do think lang seriously wanted to come and play for the seahawks he just ended up staying home cant really blame him. Lots of players would probably want to play for their home city.
Lang and his wife had bought a home on the lake outside of Detroit.....Good money, playing AT HOME, yeah, I can see where he & his wife were coming from.
Joe Jurevicius (sp) went back to play out his career with his home town Cleveland Browns...Some times it isn't "just about the money" :vodka: