DeShawn Shead to visit Buffalo

Davidess

Reaction score
Reports have him possibly missing the season but ACLs are becoming a little easier to deal with as medical advances are made.

Hawks have apparently made him an offer Per Bob Condotta. Think Shead is just checking out his market. I think if anything he would sign a 1yr deal and see how he comes back.

Draft is so deep with DB depth that I don't think the hawks are as urgent with it.

Sucks because Shead could've had a major payday this year had he not got such a substantial injury

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Davidess":3onbypf8 said:
Sucks because Shead could've had a major payday this year had he not got such a substantial injury
Shead is a RFA (howbeit untendered) so his hypothetical payday (had he not got such a substantial injury) would not have been that major.

nash72

Reaction score
I hope he goes. Shead is the most overrated player on the team.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
For him the question is where he wants to rehab as he won't be playing up to speed until Oct/Nov with his injury happening in Jan. Anything before then is unrealistic and puts him at risk of further injury.

If the team has made him an offer then it is clear they'd like to attempt to keep him, if the numbers are remotely sensible.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":17ac2ba0 said:
Davidess":17ac2ba0 said:
Shead is a RFA (howbeit untendered) so his hypothetical payday (had he not got such a substantial injury) would not have been that major.

Hard to know exactly what his payday would have been had he not been injured. If the team had tendered him, I'm betting it would have been a 2nd round tender at $2.746 million. He would probably garner a Tracy Porter/ Jeremy Lane level contract as a UFA (in the 5 million per year, 4 year range). As a 2nd round tendered RFA, he probably is looking at offers in the 3-4 million range.

If I was to bet on it, I would have bet on him signing the tender and hitting unrestricted free agency in 2018.

Oh, and you probably realize this, but, since he wasn't tendered, he is no longer a RFA. He is an unrestricted free agent.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
nash72":1tmbn2da said:

Really?

I thought he had a solid season, far more consistent than Lane, and even Sherman at times.

CB's are at such a premium now, I could see a team giving Shead a 2-3 year small deal with some guaranteed money just to have him later in 2017 and the next year or two.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2rgcd2fz said:
CB's are at such a premium now, I could see a team giving Shead a 2-3 year small deal with some guaranteed money just to have him later in 2017 and the next year or two.

I agree. He did well as our primarily targeted CB.

RussB

Reaction score
nash72":3b61xhqm said:
I thought he actually did pretty well last season. He gave up some plays but he was also very good in the run game and held up in coverage alot of the time. If anything lane needs to go now he just gives up plays constantly.

Largent80

Reaction score
For his size and length of experience starting opposite Sherman he did a pretty good job.

nash72

Reaction score
Is this the same Shead that always had his head turned the wrong way and the guy you always waited to make a play but never seemed to happen? I'm not seeing the love. He did pick off Brady though, so there is that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
nash72":2eji2uzb said:
Is this the same Shead that always had his head turned the wrong way and the guy you always waited to make a play but never seemed to happen? I'm not seeing the love.

Shead had less yards allowed than Sherman did, and that's with getting thrown at way more.

IMO he did exactly what we want in our 2nd corner, play solid, don't give up the big plays and allow everyone else to make plays. Just like we got out of guys like Browner and Maxwell. Doesn't need to play spectacular, just do your job.

Shead did all these things well last year.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I'm not sure how he finished the year but PFF had him as a top 10 CB about half way through the season.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I thought he played well early in the season and horrible down the stretch,..maybe that knee was bothering him before it blew up.

Largent80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":lzueefs5 said:
nash72":lzueefs5 said:
Is this the same Shead that always had his head turned the wrong way and the guy you always waited to make a play but never seemed to happen? I'm not seeing the love.

Shead had less yards allowed than Sherman did, and that's with getting thrown at way more.

IMO he did exactly what we want in our 2nd corner, play solid, don't give up the big plays and allow everyone else to make plays. Just like we got out of guys like Browner and Maxwell. Doesn't need to play spectacular, just do your job.

Well Nash is on record saying all the Hawk players and even the staff are mediocre.

Hell he probably thinks 48 was mediocre.

nash72

Reaction score
Largent80":2j8du4il said:
Sgt. Largent":2j8du4il said:
nash72":2j8du4il said:

Well Nash is on record saying all the Hawk players and even the staff are mediocre.

Hell he probably thinks 48 was mediocre.

Can you dig that record out please for us all to see. I'm intrigued now.

crosfam

Reaction score
Prior to the injury, I would have said I think the #1 priority for the defense this year was to extend Shead before he gets too expensive. An in-house developed, big, productive, tough hybrid safety/corner. A tad slow for CB, yet he gets the job done even with lots of balls thrown his way. A natural fit for the LOB. He can play #2 corner or either safety position with just a little adjustment. Hope he sticks around this year and returns to form. He left it all on the field for the team, just like Lane in SB49, and Sherman in SB48.