Kapadia w/Brock March 6th "Seahawks have drafted 14 Olinemen

ivotuk

Reaction score
"Seahawks have drafted 14 offensive linemen since Pete and John started, tied for the most with 1 other team. They have not given out a second contract to any of the linemen they have drafted."

That's a glaring statement. They've had some bad luck, Okung was never hurt in college, Carpenter was very good in college, but couldn't keep his weight down and had subsequent injuries.

Sweezy worked out, but everyone outside of the Seahawks was willing to overpay for our linemen, and the ones that we've signed off the scrap pile, have been just that, scrap.

The biggest thing that has limited our ability to field a good to great offensive line has been the fact that we have paid our defense top dollar, money that they have earned, and deserve. But that leaves a team short somewhere.

I don't "blame" Pete and John for the offensive line, because I like the wins that they have produced, but I would like to see some consistency in who they play up front.

I'm hoping that Fant improves enough over the summer (apparently he's busting his tail along with Britt and Glow and Ifedi), that he can remain at Left Tackle. He has the athleticism to be dominant, just not the experience.

But I want to see the same 5 guys up front that ended the season there!

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I want to see gilliam on backup duty, and if sowell is still around he shouldnt be. Interior is manageable, and fant could come along if given time I think. We need a solid LT as that is russ's blindside and we cannot have free runners blasting him in the back. Our best tackle after the competion should go at the LT spot. Russ can scramble if the RT drops his man as he can at least see them coming.

nash72

Reaction score
ivotuk":2cn8nqlu said:
But I want to see the same 5 guys up front that ended the season there![/b]

I'll never understand this when it would be so easy to upgrade.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Subzero717":386hopk3 said:
nash72":386hopk3 said:
ivotuk":386hopk3 said:

If they are the best 5 then I am okay with it.
They are the worst 5 starters in the league but the best 5 we have. I'm not ok with it.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I think it speaks more to thier philosophy. They could have re-signed Okung, giacomini, sweezy, and Carpenter and we likely, barring injury, would have had a decent to good O-line. Those are (or were when they hit FA) average to above average lineman. But if they were to hand out those contracts they would't be able to pay Baldwin, Graham, or their premier defensive players and instead of whining about our crappy o-line we'd be whining about our crappy defense or recievers.

Tical21

Reaction score
In their defense, the majority of the picks they've spent have been pretty late. Britt will get a second contract. Paying mediocre players is one of the worst things you can do, so I don't blame them for letting the guys walk, Okung being the exception. However, with Okung, the timing of his injury and choosing to represent himself kind of took the decision out of the Hawks hands.

Seymour

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3a9st7vz said:
Subzero717":3a9st7vz said:
nash72":3a9st7vz said:
ivotuk":3a9st7vz said:

If they are the best 5 then I am okay with it.
They are the worst 5 starters in the league but the best 5 we have. I'm not ok with it.

To be fair, Britt played pretty well. So really only the worst 4. 8)

chris98251

Reaction score
Tical21":3tdwymcg said:
In their defense, the majority of the picks they've spent have been pretty late. Britt will get a second contract. Paying mediocre players is one of the worst things you can do, so I don't blame them for letting the guys walk, Okung being the exception. However, with Okung, the timing of his injury and choosing to represent himself kind of took the decision out of the Hawks hands.

You don't need 1st rounders to be an average line. Also we have spent dearly on Lineman, just don't keep them for a second contract, Our bunch of street free agents that first year were better then last year showed, so throw the draft out the window, it helps but isn't the reason.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Also to be fair Garrett Scott never got the chance to be developed. He could have been a bust, or he could have been a solid OT. His athletic potential was on par with Fant/Gilliam. But Scott was actually a collegiate O-Lineman with starting experience.

Michael Bowie was solid his rookie season for a 7th rounder filling in for Giac in 2013. Had the chance to earn the starting role in 2014 via competition but came in horrible shape.

3 guys were collegiate DTs, only Sweezy panned out. Who knows if Sokoli would have but the Seahawks allowed him to be poached. Other guy was Jared Smith.

Moffitt could have been good as he displayed solid technique/mental aptitude but he lacked the passion to take the game seriously and had a really poor work ethic. Softest looking guard I've ever seen. Can't really fault the Seahawks for that, the tape and skill were decent enough but one of the hardest things to judge with a player is his heart. See Curry. Moffitt' s Legal troubles just shows how immature he was/is. Funny dude though.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2nph93ra said:
Maybe our problem is with the zbs?
If I see another lowlight play where one of our guys is blocking air while a defender breaks in over an unprotected gap where another of our guys is already blocking a player, I'm going to puke. Too much of that last year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I brought this up when free agency started as to why we needed to overspend if we had to to get guys like Lang, because our FO obviously has no idea what they're doing when it comes to drafting O-linemen.

IMO there needs to be a philosophy shift to stop bargain bin shop for linemen and trusting Cable to turn basketball players into competent tackles in half a season.

If that means less money elsewhere, so be it, Pete and John have had a very high success rate in drafting defensive players, so I'm just fine with not having 70% of our cap space on that side of the ball.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Sgt. Largent":2mv674a2 said:
I brought this up when free agency started as to why we needed to overspend if we had to to get guys like Lang, because our FO obviously has no idea what they're doing when it comes to drafting O-linemen.

IMO there needs to be a philosophy shift to stop bargain bin shop for linemen and trusting Cable to turn basketball players into competent tackles in half a season.

If that means less money elsewhere, so be it, Pete and John have had a very high success rate in drafting defensive players, so I'm just fine with not having 70% of our cap space on that side of the ball.

Dallas has proven that a stacked O-line can mask defensive deficiencies (at least enough to make the playoffs).

The Seahawks have shown that a stacked defense can mask offensive deficiencies.

When you can do both, you get a ring.

I'm definitely for using draft/ cap capital to acquire good linemen. The problem is that this is a poor tackle draft and the one lineman I actually thought could have been an asset for us (Lang) went home. 90% of the FA market was trash (Joke-L def in that group). With our garbage track record with drafting linemen, I think the most obvious answer (to me, the prince of armchair QBs, a most meaningless title) is that we need to take some of the power away from Cable on picking linemen.

Also, lets also remember that our DL choices didn't work out that well until Frank Clark.

We need a good draft to get back to the promised land. Can't ride that 2012 draft forever.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
ivotuk":21fref3n said:
Sweezy worked out, but everyone outside of the Seahawks was willing to overpay for our linemen, and the ones that we've signed off the scrap pile, have been just that, scrap.

Just throwing this out there, but if we're never giving our average to above-average linemen second contracts and plenty of other teams do willingly, they're not necessarily being overpaid. They're being paid market value and the Seahawks have shown they aren't willing to pay or match market value with the exception of Okung last year (which doesn't matter because he still went to Denver).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jdemps":38kc6m17 said:
Dallas has proven that a stacked O-line can mask defensive deficiencies (at least enough to make the playoffs)..

Dallas also used 4 of 5 high 1st round picks to assemble their line, so kinda hard to follow that blueprint without stinking for a decade or so.

My point is 14 of 14 O-line draft picks since the PC/JS era began has resulted in zero 2nd contracts and very little development, so it's time to change our philosophy of saving on the line to spend elsewhere.

Either spend more on the line, or figure out why you're terrible at drafting and developing............but you can't stink at both.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Should just change the subject to "seahawks suck at identifying and developing OL talent". Not for trying, but obviously in the NFL trying isn't good enough.

Jville

Reaction score
Assertions that the Seahawk offensive line was "the worse" in the league is an exaggeration. IMO

The Browns, forty-niners and Rams all had offensive lines with poorer season performances ....... to name three.