Luke and Shead coming back

HawkGA

Reaction score
Not to be the guy who chimes in and asks for a source, but is this just speculation or has it actually happened?

aredub

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/dannyoneil/status/842743846052159488[/tweet]

Source!

Jerhawk

Reaction score
That's good!
Anyone know how Shead is progressing after his injury vs ATL?

Hyak

Reaction score
I would imagine the dollars are reasonable on both. Willson sure didn't have the market that he anticipated. I bet the Cook visit was simply to apply pressure for him to re-sign.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
I get Shead but why Luke in such a deep TE class? Unless guaranteed money is low.

aredub

Reaction score
JTB":1safnut1 said:
I would imagine the dollars are reasonable on both. Willson sure didn't have the market that he anticipated. I bet the Cook visit was simply to apply pressure for him to re-sign.

Willson's deal is said to be up to 3 mil. I'm guessing there are some incentives in the contract. Fairly reasonable in my opinion. No clue about Shead.

sutz

Reaction score
dutchcoug":1btpfude said:
I get Shead but why Luke in such a deep TE class? Unless guaranteed money is low.
Because the value of someone already versed in the system. The FA market for TE is crappy this year, maybe because yeah there are some available in the draft. So Luke didn't get the fantastic offer he might have been hoping for. I don't fear a TE group of JG, LW and NV for the next season. If we add a rookie TE, he gets a year to develop behind LW and NV.

We can sort it out next year. :)

OP
OP
Subzero717

Subzero717

Reaction score
HawkGA":187kmeyz said:
Not to be the guy who chimes in and asks for a source, but is this just speculation or has it actually happened?

Sorry. Danny broke it on Brock and Salk. Shefter will officially "break" the story in about an hour.

Seymour

Reaction score
dutchcoug":ekt0bpp3 said:

Exactly. I like Luke, but the draft is strong in TE's. This is another sign they are considering letting Graham go after 2017 IMO.

Hyak

Reaction score
Seymour":3go7q4yb said:
dutchcoug":3go7q4yb said:

Exactly. I like Luke, but the draft is strong in TE's. This is another sign they are considering letting Graham go after 2017 IMO.

It's only a 1 year deal. More telling that they are unsure of Vannett stepping up as the 2nd TE to me as opposed to anything to do with Graham.

Tical21

Reaction score
Dammit. Our staff has lost their edge. It is no longer "play well or we will find somebody else." It is now, "if you're a nice guy, we'll throw you some money." This is just disgusting. This is what the downfall of an empire feels like.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Tical21":any6k5yg said:
Dammit. Our staff has lost their edge. It is no longer "play well or we will find somebody else." It is now, "if you're a nice guy, we'll throw you some money." This is just disgusting. This is what the downfall of an empire feels like.

You're kidding right? Wilson's deal is only UP TO $3 million. From what I understand he hasn't even had any visits with other teams to the guaranteed money is likely a million or less. They probably gave Shead a deal at about $1 million (considering they wouldn't even tender him the lower contract possible as a RFA). And I can guarantee that there is wording in the contract that if he knee isn't healing properly by the beginning of the season and he's expected to miss the entire year that they already have a set amount (like $150-200K) that they'll agree upon to have him go on IR and then be released with an injury settlement so that the entire salary doesn't count against the cap.

Neither of these are big deals. Sheesh.

OP
OP
Subzero717

Subzero717

Reaction score
Tical21":1wvuizxl said:

I agree with this. We are having this discussion on cap space in reference to Sherm in another thread. While I don't really agree with letting Sherm go, I think we are holding on to players out of sentiment that could be replaced. Remember the age and salaries of a lot of these guys during our run. Not to mention Graham and his contract that runs out at years end.

Seymour

Reaction score
Tical21":3ko12892 said:

That would be Lane last year IMO. Sounds like he is getting as much as these 2 combined. I think this is his last year here, as the contract stings far less to move on next season.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
This is good news. Willson is a solid athlete who has shown some improvement as a blocker, even playing some H-back/fullback at the end of last season. It also adds another receiver whom Russell Wilson is comfortable and familiar. One year deals are what veteran players get when they still have something to prove.

Veterans who are already familiar with our system are incredibly valuable because there is only so much time in the day to bribg newcomers up to speed.

Shead should return from his injury in time for our presumptive playoff run. They can stash him on PUP and/or IR until then.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2aqw8zvv said:
Tical21":2aqw8zvv said:

You're kidding right? Wilson's deal is only UP TO $3 million. From what I understand he hasn't even had any visits with other teams to the guaranteed money is likely a million or less. They probably gave Shead a deal at about $1 million (considering they wouldn't even tender him the lower contract possible as a RFA). And I can guarantee that there is wording in the contract that if he knee isn't healing properly by the beginning of the season and he's expected to miss the entire year that they already have a set amount (like $150-200K) that they'll agree upon to have him go on IR and then be released with an injury settlement so that the entire salary doesn't count against the cap.

Neither of these are big deals. Sheesh.

:sarcasm_on:

Cyrus12

Reaction score
was kinda surprised willlssson went unsigned let alone no interest whatsoever. 3 mill is a bit steep..probably coulda signed him for half of that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Subzero717":1i44hb05 said:
Tical21":1i44hb05 said:

I agree with this. We are having this discussion on cap space in reference to Sherm in another thread. While I don't really agree with letting Sherm go, I think we are holding on to players out of sentiment that could be replaced. Remember the age and salaries of a lot of these guys during our run. Not to mention Graham and his contract that runs out at years end.

You agree that the signing of the 3rd TE and a DB who was pretty good until his injury to low risk 1 year contracts is the sign of the team's downfall?

If we are going to recall the philosophy that PC brought to this team when he started then these types of moves were right there. There was one year (the Lendell White year) when he made something like 80 roster moves before the season started.

Neither of these moves prohibit the team from drafting a TE and CB(s) to replace them. They seem like insurance moves only.