Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Luke and Shead coming back

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Luke and Shead coming back
Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:37 am
  • Both on 1 year deals
    Subzero717
    NET Pro Bowler

Re: Luke and Shead coming back
Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:39 am
  • Good news
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:42 am
  • Not to be the guy who chimes in and asks for a source, but is this just speculation or has it actually happened?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:46 am

• Source!
    aredub
    NET Rookie

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:48 am
  • That's good!
    Anyone know how Shead is progressing after his injury vs ATL?
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:50 am
  • I would imagine the dollars are reasonable on both. Willson sure didn't have the market that he anticipated. I bet the Cook visit was simply to apply pressure for him to re-sign.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:51 am
  • I get Shead but why Luke in such a deep TE class? Unless guaranteed money is low.
    dutchcoug
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:52 am
  • JTB wrote:I would imagine the dollars are reasonable on both. Willson sure didn't have the market that he anticipated. I bet the Cook visit was simply to apply pressure for him to re-sign.

Willson's deal is said to be up to 3 mil. I'm guessing there are some incentives in the contract. Fairly reasonable in my opinion. No clue about Shead.
    aredub
    NET Rookie

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:56 am
  • dutchcoug wrote:I get Shead but why Luke in such a deep TE class? Unless guaranteed money is low.

Because the value of someone already versed in the system. The FA market for TE is crappy this year, maybe because yeah there are some available in the draft. So Luke didn't get the fantastic offer he might have been hoping for. I don't fear a TE group of JG, LW and NV for the next season. If we add a rookie TE, he gets a year to develop behind LW and NV.

We can sort it out next year. :)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:57 am
  • HawkGA wrote:Not to be the guy who chimes in and asks for a source, but is this just speculation or has it actually happened?

Sorry. Danny broke it on Brock and Salk. Shefter will officially "break" the story in about an hour.
    Subzero717
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:05 am
  • dutchcoug wrote:I get Shead but why Luke in such a deep TE class? Unless guaranteed money is low.

Exactly. I like Luke, but the draft is strong in TE's. This is another sign they are considering letting Graham go after 2017 IMO.
    Siouxhawk wrote:...Losing Fant set that dream back
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:08 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    dutchcoug wrote:I get Shead but why Luke in such a deep TE class? Unless guaranteed money is low.

Exactly. I like Luke, but the draft is strong in TE's. This is another sign they are considering letting Graham go after 2017 IMO.

It's only a 1 year deal. More telling that they are unsure of Vannett stepping up as the 2nd TE to me as opposed to anything to do with Graham.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:10 am
  • Dammit. Our staff has lost their edge. It is no longer "play well or we will find somebody else." It is now, "if you're a nice guy, we'll throw you some money." This is just disgusting. This is what the downfall of an empire feels like.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:16 am
  • Tical21 wrote:Dammit. Our staff has lost their edge. It is no longer "play well or we will find somebody else." It is now, "if you're a nice guy, we'll throw you some money." This is just disgusting. This is what the downfall of an empire feels like.

You're kidding right? Wilson's deal is only UP TO $3 million. From what I understand he hasn't even had any visits with other teams to the guaranteed money is likely a million or less. They probably gave Shead a deal at about $1 million (considering they wouldn't even tender him the lower contract possible as a RFA). And I can guarantee that there is wording in the contract that if he knee isn't healing properly by the beginning of the season and he's expected to miss the entire year that they already have a set amount (like $150-200K) that they'll agree upon to have him go on IR and then be released with an injury settlement so that the entire salary doesn't count against the cap.

Neither of these are big deals. Sheesh.

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:17 am
  • Tical21 wrote:Dammit. Our staff has lost their edge. It is no longer "play well or we will find somebody else." It is now, "if you're a nice guy, we'll throw you some money." This is just disgusting. This is what the downfall of an empire feels like.

I agree with this. We are having this discussion on cap space in reference to Sherm in another thread. While I don't really agree with letting Sherm go, I think we are holding on to players out of sentiment that could be replaced. Remember the age and salaries of a lot of these guys during our run. Not to mention Graham and his contract that runs out at years end.
    Subzero717
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:35 am

That would be Lane last year IMO. Sounds like he is getting as much as these 2 combined. I think this is his last year here, as the contract stings far less to move on next season.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:36 am
  • This is good news. Willson is a solid athlete who has shown some improvement as a blocker, even playing some H-back/fullback at the end of last season. It also adds another receiver whom Russell Wilson is comfortable and familiar. One year deals are what veteran players get when they still have something to prove.

Veterans who are already familiar with our system are incredibly valuable because there is only so much time in the day to bribg newcomers up to speed.

Shead should return from his injury in time for our presumptive playoff run. They can stash him on PUP and/or IR until then.
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:37 am
  • IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Dammit. Our staff has lost their edge. It is no longer "play well or we will find somebody else." It is now, "if you're a nice guy, we'll throw you some money." This is just disgusting. This is what the downfall of an empire feels like.

You're kidding right? Wilson's deal is only UP TO $3 million. From what I understand he hasn't even had any visits with other teams to the guaranteed money is likely a million or less. They probably gave Shead a deal at about $1 million (considering they wouldn't even tender him the lower contract possible as a RFA). And I can guarantee that there is wording in the contract that if he knee isn't healing properly by the beginning of the season and he's expected to miss the entire year that they already have a set amount (like $150-200K) that they'll agree upon to have him go on IR and then be released with an injury settlement so that the entire salary doesn't count against the cap.

Neither of these are big deals. Sheesh.

:sarcasm_on:
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:42 am
  • was kinda surprised willlssson went unsigned let alone no interest whatsoever. 3 mill is a bit steep..probably coulda signed him for half of that.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:43 am
  • Subzero717 wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Dammit. Our staff has lost their edge. It is no longer "play well or we will find somebody else." It is now, "if you're a nice guy, we'll throw you some money." This is just disgusting. This is what the downfall of an empire feels like.

I agree with this. We are having this discussion on cap space in reference to Sherm in another thread. While I don't really agree with letting Sherm go, I think we are holding on to players out of sentiment that could be replaced. Remember the age and salaries of a lot of these guys during our run. Not to mention Graham and his contract that runs out at years end.

You agree that the signing of the 3rd TE and a DB who was pretty good until his injury to low risk 1 year contracts is the sign of the team's downfall?

If we are going to recall the philosophy that PC brought to this team when he started then these types of moves were right there. There was one year (the Lendell White year) when he made something like 80 roster moves before the season started.

Neither of these moves prohibit the team from drafting a TE and CB(s) to replace them. They seem like insurance moves only.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:47 am

Signing two players who have played well in your system to lowball one year deals is not losing our edge.

btw, when exactly did we "find someone else" for those two positions? Right now the cupboards are bare, and if we do draft corners and TE's, we'll still need the depth and experience.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:50 am
  • Willson is as solid of a TE you're gonna get for what we are paying him. Decent blocker, quick, receiving capability. I don't think this feels like the end of anything. It feels like them re-signing a serviceable player on a short deal so that we don't need to throw a draft pick at TE2 out of necessity.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:51 am
  • I think you guys are missing the point I was trying to make. I'm strictly talking about Willson, not including Shead.

Our front office built their success using the "next man up", "compete", "perform or go home" philosophy. Remember when they were churning through people, constantly looking for somebody better than the guys they have? They've gone soft. They just paid Jermaine Kearse because he's a good guy and nobody else wanted him. They just paid Luke Willson because he's a good guy and nobody else wanted him. It isn't about the three million. It is about the culture of accepting and rewarding subpar play. He should be gone out of principle. Screw the money or depth. We're rewarding him for being a terrible player, but a nice guy. You're not going to win like that. It signifies a drastic change in the culture in that building, and prevents you from improving. It's a sad day.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:53 am
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:Willson is as solid of a TE you're gonna get for what we are paying him. Decent blocker, quick, receiving capability. I don't think this feels like the end of anything. It feels like them re-signing a serviceable player on a short deal so that we don't need to throw a draft pick at TE2 out of necessity.

Not a decent blocker, not quick, very poor receiving capability. You can get the same player, probably better, for less than 500k, and give somebody the chance to be better than mediocre.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:02 am
  • Tical21 wrote:I think you guys are missing the point I was trying to make. I'm strictly talking about Willson, not including Shead.

Our front office built their success using the "next man up", "compete", "perform or go home" philosophy. Remember when they were churning through people, constantly looking for somebody better than the guys they have? They've gone soft. They just paid Jermaine Kearse because he's a good guy and nobody else wanted him. They just paid Luke Willson because he's a good guy and nobody else wanted him. It isn't about the three million. It is about the culture of accepting and rewarding subpar play. He should be gone out of principle. Screw the money or depth. We're rewarding him for being a terrible player, but a nice guy. You're not going to win like that. It signifies a drastic change in the culture in that building, and prevents you from improving. It's a sad day.

You're having a different conversation.

I agree Pete's "next man up" at numerous positions hasn't been true at all, including TE, and especially O-line.

That was my point as to WHY we resigned Willson, there is no next man up. Vannett has shown some promise, but obviously he's not ready or else we wouldn't have resigned Willson.

But it's just a lowball one year deal, so no reason to worry about it too much, it's not like we broke the bank to keep Willson just cause he's a good dude. We let him test the market, the market told him that no one's really interested in an undersized mediocre TE that doesn't block very well. So voila, he's back, which is fine, he's played well in our system.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:17 am
  • Awesome on both accounts.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:21 am
  • Hope and could be all that happy horse shit is for fans. The front office actually has jobs to do. If uncertain, go with known commodity. If you end up with something better then all the better.

It ain't rocket surgery.
    Last edited by vin.couve12 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:25 am
  • Tical21 wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:Willson is as solid of a TE you're gonna get for what we are paying him. Decent blocker, quick, receiving capability. I don't think this feels like the end of anything. It feels like them re-signing a serviceable player on a short deal so that we don't need to throw a draft pick at TE2 out of necessity.

Not a decent blocker, not quick, very poor receiving capability. You can get the same player, probably better, for less than 500k, and give somebody the chance to be better than mediocre.

What player?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:26 am
  • As John Schneider succinctly described during his recent combine presser, this time of year is all about "checking boxes" of need before the draft. Checking our boxes with experienced veterans on low-risk, prove it deals means we will be less dependent on the draft to fill specific positions of need.

It does NOT mean we will disregard these areas in the draft and undrafted free agency, i.e. kicker, offensive tackle, running back, tight end, cornerback, etc. It simply allows us to be more freewheeling and creative in drafting the best available players for this team.

IMO, that was one of the major dilemmas with the draft classes since our championship. We were forced to play catch-up, due to not having all of our boxes checked with veterans, by targeting very specific players in the draft at very specific positions of need.

Rather than relying on the draft to fill our holes, the team has done a nice job this year of acquiring free agents to meet the base line for the competition. Now the draft can be used to supplement that competition with young -- and hopefully even better -- talent. Think of it as plugging the holes in a leaky boat first (with "prove it" vets) before you spend your time scooping the water out with a bucket (rookies).
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:26 am
  • hawknation2017 wrote:This is good news. Willson is a solid athlete who has shown some improvement as a blocker, even playing some H-back/fullback at the end of last season. It also adds another receiver whom Russell Wilson is comfortable and familiar. One year deals are what veteran players get when they still have something to prove.

Veterans who are already familiar with our system are incredibly valuable because there is only so much time in the day to bribg newcomers up to speed.

Shead should return from his injury in time for our presumptive playoff run. They can stash him on PUP and/or IR until then.

+1. I just like that goofy Canadian and have high hopes for Shead after he heals.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:27 am
  • JTB wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    dutchcoug wrote:I get Shead but why Luke in such a deep TE class? Unless guaranteed money is low.

It's only a 1 year deal. More telling that they are unsure of Vannett stepping up as the 2nd TE to me as opposed to anything to do with Graham.

This.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:39 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:Willson is as solid of a TE you're gonna get for what we are paying him. Decent blocker, quick, receiving capability. I don't think this feels like the end of anything. It feels like them re-signing a serviceable player on a short deal so that we don't need to throw a draft pick at TE2 out of necessity.

What player?

Haven't you heard? 6'5" TE's that run 4.46 40's grow on trees.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:57 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:

What player?

Does it matter? You can find bad TE's anywhere. Brandon Williams. Whatever TE's are available in the 6th round of the draft. Maybe a guy you drafted pretty high last year even? It doesn't matter. When a player you drafted underperforms and never becomes better than mediocre or worse, you don't pay that player and keep him around, period. It prevents you from moving forward and improving. It sets a bad precedent as well. You can't reward guys for that. Instead of cleaning house and moving away from their bad underperformers, they are paying them. That is not what good franchises do, I'm sorry.

I just really for the life of me cannot believe we are really here celebrating the re-signing of a really bad football player. It's a bad sign and a bad trend.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:05 am
  • Tical21 wrote:Does it matter? You can find bad TE's anywhere. Brandon Williams. Whatever TE's are available in the 6th round of the draft. Maybe a guy you drafted pretty high last year even? It doesn't matter. When a player you drafted underperforms and never becomes better than mediocre or worse, you don't pay that player and keep him around, period. It prevents you from moving forward and improving. It sets a bad precedent as well. You can't reward guys for that. Instead of cleaning house and moving away from their bad underperformers, they are paying them. That is not what good franchises do, I'm sorry.

I just really for the life of me cannot believe we are really here celebrating the re-signing of a really bad football player. It's a bad sign and a bad trend.

Of course it matters. That's why they signed him.

This move does not preclude them taking another TE in the draft.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:14 am
  • I like it. I do think TE is potentially a place they could shock fans by grabbing one in the 1st or 2nd this year with a few of them being special talents though. They could still draft one but this gives them insurance if they can't. Willson kills me at times with some of his drops but I love having the guy on the team and his speed and big play ability and being comfortable with Wilson is a big plus.

I really wanted Shead brought back cheap and this signing makes total sense. He's a very capable starter when healthy and should be able to make an impact later in the year.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:22 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Does it matter? You can find bad TE's anywhere. Brandon Williams. Whatever TE's are available in the 6th round of the draft. Maybe a guy you drafted pretty high last year even? It doesn't matter. When a player you drafted underperforms and never becomes better than mediocre or worse, you don't pay that player and keep him around, period. It prevents you from moving forward and improving. It sets a bad precedent as well. You can't reward guys for that. Instead of cleaning house and moving away from their bad underperformers, they are paying them. That is not what good franchises do, I'm sorry.

That's my disagreement. I don't think that's why they signed him. I think they signed him primarily because Pete has grown attached to the kid.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:23 am
  • I like both of these, pending details.

Wilson is just a solid body for relatively pretty cheap, knows the system and we know his pros and cons. This allows us to utilize him to his strenghts. When you have a team like ours that has so many highly paid stars, you have to fill the gaps with "meh" players. As far as "meh" players, these two are toward the top and familiarity both ways is a huge plus.

Shead showed signs of brilliance, and signs of stupidity. His main point of emphasis should be getting his head around to be able to A.):get a possible interception, and B.):avoid the DPI calls.

He is pretty decent at sticking with his guy, especially considering his salary. He just needs to work on a few things. He also is one of the more versatile and solid backups we have if the injury bug bites.

We will draft at both positions if the right guy is still on the board and they will compete.

Great depth signings for what I'm assuming is going to be pretty cap friendly.
    johnnyfever
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:26 am
  • Tical21 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

That's my disagreement. I don't think that's why they signed him. I think they signed him primarily because Pete has grown attached to the kid.

"attached"

or perhaps "trusts?"

It's a fairly minimal contract and doesn't close the door on anything. I would agree with you if you continued to offer significant contracts to players who were not living up to the ones they had signed.

Willson is just insurance though... a vet who understands the system in case Vennett or a draft pick don't work out.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:27 am
  • Despite what a select few in here think this was a good move that provides flexibility. Willson was targeted 21 times and 2 tds. Given how few the targets are and yet 2 tds, I am not sure how this is underperforming he was our #2 TE in a system where you had 2 players with over 900 yards. He was tied for the 3rd most receiving TDs and he had the second highest reception to td ratio. So some here, really need to let their personal biases away.
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:27 am
  • Tical21 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Does it matter? You can find bad TE's anywhere. Brandon Williams. Whatever TE's are available in the 6th round of the draft. Maybe a guy you drafted pretty high last year even? It doesn't matter. When a player you drafted underperforms and never becomes better than mediocre or worse, you don't pay that player and keep him around, period. It prevents you from moving forward and improving. It sets a bad precedent as well. You can't reward guys for that. Instead of cleaning house and moving away from their bad underperformers, they are paying them. That is not what good franchises do, I'm sorry.

If you were right Tical, then why'd we use a 3rd round pick on Vannett last year?

What everyone's trying to tell you is this doesn't change anything as far as addressing our needs in the draft, of which TE is still one of them. We can't overpay for another TE while Graham is still on the roster, so there's nothing left to do but resign Willson and continue to look for TE's in the draft.

You're not going to get a starter for 500k, or even 2-3M.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:29 am
  • Anthony! wrote:Despite what a select few in here think this was a good move that provides flexibility. Willson was targeted 21 times and 2 tds. Given how few the targets are and yet 2 tds, I am not sure how this is underperforming he was our #2 TE in a system where you had 2 players with over 900 yards. He was tied for the 3rd most receiving TDs and he had the second highest reception to td ratio. So some here, really need to let their personal biases away.

He had his worst year as a pro (in yards/receptions) by far last year, which is what Tical is referring to.

I think he's fine as competition to the 2nd (or 3rd) TE.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:31 am
  • Once again, 1 year contracts for both.

It's becoming a leaguewise thing as teams start to massage deals to increase their FA turnover to improve their opportunities for compensatory picks.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:39 am
  • I get the Willson signing and 3m for a vet, who knows your system and team really isn't much considering it's likely incentivized.

But the Shead signing I don't get because it's a 1yr deal. He just tore his ACL January 14th. It's unlikely he even sees the field this season. If he had torn it in lets say October then I'd think he'd have a chance to come back, but January seems extremely unlikely.

Is Seattle just going to end up paying him 700k or so for the year, and letting him become a UFA again next off-season? I don't get it at all. He won't contribute this season, he will not be ready to play at any point during the season. This seemed like a bad move, that likely didn't cost a lot. It still chips away at some of the cap.
    ringless
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:40 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

If you were right Tical, then why'd we use a 3rd round pick on Vannett last year?

What everyone's trying to tell you is this doesn't change anything as far as addressing our needs in the draft, of which TE is still one of them. We can't overpay for another TE while Graham is still on the roster, so there's nothing left to do but resign Willson and continue to look for TE's in the draft.

You're not going to get a starter for 500k, or even 2-3M.

I don't think he's staying the hawks could get a starter, just better competition for the 2nd/3rd TE. I get that.. but for what the hawks just gave Willson it's not really dumping money into sentiment. He could literally be the best available TE for that salary
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:42 am
  • Dislike both, just as I did Kearse last year. The roster spot itself is more valuable. We need to have new players coming in that replace older more expensive ones with tapped out potential.

Strong draft for both CB and TE. I won't say it is a bad move until guantees are released.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:45 am
  • Luke Willson so so incredibly underrated by many fans.

He's a terrific culture fit, great athlete, tough as hell. And he's improved in every aspect of his game each season.

So glad we resigned him over acquiring a guy like Cook.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:46 am
  • Shead has flashed CB2 potential and success, but I assume his deal is going to be really team friendly considering his injury v. ATL. He's been one of the most versatile DBs on our roster for years now and I think he's a really valuable RCB for us if he gets right. If he comes back and has a quality end of the season, he could be setting himself up for a nice little couple year contract with us or someone else in the league.

Willson is a good depth signing as long as the contract is structured well. We know what we have with him, even if it's not that much. I think PC/JS were expecting a little more development out of Luke than he's shown at this point. It's always baffled me how good his combine/workout numbers were coming out of college because, IMO, he is not a fluid athlete at all. Stiffness and tightness all over his body when he's running routes, attempting to catch passes and in open space. Doesn't mean I don't like the guy or that I don't think he's serviceable (he is), but I think this is more of a "this is our floor" depth signing.
    Last edited by JGfromtheNW on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:47 am
  • ringless wrote:I get the Willson signing and 3m for a vet, who knows your system and team really isn't much considering it's likely incentivized.

But the Shead signing I don't get because it's a 1yr deal. He just tore his ACL January 14th. It's unlikely he even sees the field this season. If he had torn it in lets say October then I'd think he'd have a chance to come back, but January seems extremely unlikely.

Is Seattle just going to end up paying him 700k or so for the year, and letting him become a UFA again next off-season? I don't get it at all. He won't contribute this season, he will not be ready to play at any point during the season. This seemed like a bad move, that likely didn't cost a lot. It still chips away at some of the cap.

Shead is a gamble for sure, but since we didn't even tender him the 1.8M UFA offer, my guess is this one year deal is not a lot of money.

What it speaks to is how utterly desperate we are at CB, because even if we draft a couple corners, still means either Thorpe or a rookie is going into the season starting.

So I can see why we took a calculated risk to see if Shead can come back mid season and contribute earning a bigger one year deal going into 2018. No reason just to cut him loose when we have no idea who's playing opposite Sherman at this point in time.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:49 am
  • ringless wrote:I get the Willson signing and 3m for a vet, who knows your system and team really isn't much considering it's likely incentivized.

The guy went down battling for you in a playoff game. He's been a terrific teammate and has bought into the program completely. They love his make-up.

This is about doing right for a guy who has done right for you. Players notice this kind of stuff. The respect it buys you means something.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:49 am
  • Tical21 wrote:That's my disagreement. I don't think that's why they signed him. I think they signed him primarily because Pete has grown attached to the kid.

You don't really have any way to prove that.

You're asking the Seahawks to proceed on an incredibly vague "let's be cutthroat" principle here, across the board with every player, just so you can feel like your team is coached by Bill Belichick. In reality, this is a decent role-player (you're undervaluing him) who knows our system being signed to a relatively low contract so that we can have some freedom in the draft. I'd be a lot more annoyed with Shead if I were you, but he got even less.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Next

It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:00 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information