Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Luke and Shead coming back

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Luke and Shead coming back
Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:51 am
  • ringless wrote:I get the Willson signing and 3m for a vet, who knows your system and team really isn't much considering it's likely incentivized.

But the Shead signing I don't get because it's a 1yr deal. He just tore his ACL January 14th. It's unlikely he even sees the field this season. If he had torn it in lets say October then I'd think he'd have a chance to come back, but January seems extremely unlikely.

Is Seattle just going to end up paying him 700k or so for the year, and letting him become a UFA again next off-season? I don't get it at all. He won't contribute this season, he will not be ready to play at any point during the season. This seemed like a bad move, that likely didn't cost a lot. It still chips away at some of the cap.

It's just what the Seahawks do ......... the right thing!
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:52 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Anthony! wrote:Despite what a select few in here think this was a good move that provides flexibility. Willson was targeted 21 times and 2 tds. Given how few the targets are and yet 2 tds, I am not sure how this is underperforming he was our #2 TE in a system where you had 2 players with over 900 yards. He was tied for the 3rd most receiving TDs and he had the second highest reception to td ratio. So some here, really need to let their personal biases away.

He had his worst year as a pro (in yards/receptions) by far last year, which is what Tical is referring to.

I think he's fine as competition to the 2nd (or 3rd) TE.

I think that is an opinion the difference last year was lack of opportunities I mean 21 targets all year is not much. Alot of that was because of Graham being healthy and playing really well. You can just say he had his worst year without looking at what and why things actually happened.
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:53 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    I don't think he's staying the hawks could get a starter, just better competition for the 2nd/3rd TE. I get that.. but for what the hawks just gave Willson it's not really dumping money into sentiment. He could literally be the best available TE for that salary

Like you said, who?

Cook just signed for 12.2M for two years. None of the other lower tier free agent TE's are any better than Willson, and it's a deep draft.

So no reason to spend precious cap money of which we have little left on someone that isn't any better than Willson, especially when this is a deep TE draft.

Draft another TE, keep Willson for another year and go into next year hopefully with two young TE's ready to take over if Graham is gone.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:55 am
  • Anthony! wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Anthony! wrote:Despite what a select few in here think this was a good move that provides flexibility. Willson was targeted 21 times and 2 tds. Given how few the targets are and yet 2 tds, I am not sure how this is underperforming he was our #2 TE in a system where you had 2 players with over 900 yards. He was tied for the 3rd most receiving TDs and he had the second highest reception to td ratio. So some here, really need to let their personal biases away.

He had his worst year as a pro (in yards/receptions) by far last year, which is what Tical is referring to.

I think that is an opinion the difference last year was lack of opportunities I mean 21 targets all year is not much. Alot of that was because of Graham being healthy and playing really well. You can just say he had his worst year without looking at what and why things actually happened.

And Luke missed 4 or 5 games with injury, further cutting into his targets.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:55 am
  • I can't believe I just woke up.

I've been out with this never ending head & chest cold ...... or what ever it is.

Great news to wake up to.

Outstanding signings.

Terrific off season.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:56 am
  • ringless wrote:But the Shead signing I don't get because it's a 1yr deal. He just tore his ACL January 14th. It's unlikely he even sees the field this season. If he had torn it in lets say October then I'd think he'd have a chance to come back, but January seems extremely unlikely.

Why won't he be able to come back?

it's 6-9 months to returning to the field...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:56 am
  • Sheil Kapida reporting 1 year, 1.5 million for Shead with 1m Gtd.
    ringless
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:57 am
  • Siouxhawk wrote:
    Anthony! wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

And Luke missed 4 or 5 games with injury, further cutting into his targets.

That's right he was cut down by friendly fire. By someone who was cut from he team. IIRC
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:12 am
  • I think both of these signings are reasonable, low risk moves. You need depth at both spots.

The Joeckel and Lacy signings are far more open to criticism IMO albeit those also are low risk/high reward deals.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:18 am
  • jammerhawk wrote:Once again, 1 year contracts for both.

It's becoming a leaguewise thing as teams start to massage deals to increase their FA turnover to improve their opportunities for compensatory picks.

Literally, the smartest thing said in this thread.
    WE ALL WE GOT, WE ALL WE NEED!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:32 am
  • Also, with Shead even if he doesn't make it back, he's been with the team since 2012, 5 years of experience, and is one of the most versatile players on the team. Pretty much can play all 5 DB positions (FS, SS, NCB, RCB, LCB) to some degree plus ST. What I'm getting at is, with the Seahawks possibly getting ready to take advantage of a strong DB draft, it doesn't hurt have players like Shead to help transition the new guys into our style, our technique, and our scheme.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:37 am
  • Everyone forgets we drafted Vannett last year and he barely played. Resigning Luke was a great thing because it frees up a draft pick.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:46 am
  • Pandion Haliaetus wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:Once again, 1 year contracts for both.

It's becoming a leaguewise thing as teams start to massage deals to increase their FA turnover to improve their opportunities for compensatory picks.

You just talked yourself out of a Christmas card, Mr. Man
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:50 am

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:54 am

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:09 am
  • I just love Luke Willson so much.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:19 am
  • This is good news, guess Double L wasn't as in demand as he was hoping. :2thumbs:
    "Our Quarterback is a Bad Man!" - Michael Robinson
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:45 am
  • I slightly prefer Willson at up to 3 vs Cook at 6. Will have to see what the guarantees are. If it's something on the order of 1-1.5 million guaranteed, I really prefer him. If we get a stud TE or two out of the draft/UDFA/late free agency, we can transition to compete/ let the best man win mode and cut Willson with little pain. Right now, unfortunately, Willson is the best man.

There's not much out there in FA TE land. Jordan Cameron will want more than he is worth. Has never been a good blocker, and has the dropsies lately. Jacob Tamme - does he have anything left in the tank? How will he recover from his shoulder surgery? Kellen Davis? A lot of miles on him. Used to be a decent blocker.

Just a whole ton of meh out there in FA.
    Fire Thom Cable
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:53 am
  • bigskydoc wrote:I slightly prefer Willson at up to 3 vs Cook at 6. Will have to see what the guarantees are. If it's something on the order of 1-1.5 million guaranteed, I really prefer him. If we get a stud TE or two out of the draft/UDFA/late free agency, we can transition to compete/ let the best man win mode and cut Willson with little pain. Right now, unfortunately, Willson is the best man.

There's not much out there in FA TE land. Jordan Cameron will want more than he is worth. Has never been a good blocker, and has the dropsies lately. Jacob Tamme - does he have anything left in the tank? How will he recover from his shoulder surgery? Kellen Davis? A lot of miles on him. Used to be a decent blocker.

Since you are the .net doc. What is your opinion on the possibility of Shead really having an impact considering he tore his acl January 16th? And apparently it wasn't a clean tear at that?
    ringless
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:56 am
  • ringless wrote:
    bigskydoc wrote:I slightly prefer Willson at up to 3 vs Cook at 6. Will have to see what the guarantees are. If it's something on the order of 1-1.5 million guaranteed, I really prefer him. If we get a stud TE or two out of the draft/UDFA/late free agency, we can transition to compete/ let the best man win mode and cut Willson with little pain. Right now, unfortunately, Willson is the best man.

Since you are the .net doc. What is your opinion on the possibility of Shead really having an impact considering he tore his acl January 16th? And apparently it wasn't a clean tear at that?

6-9 months is the new normal for full recovery of an ACL tear.

https://www.verywell.com/acl-tear-surgery-rehab-how-long-does-does-it-take-2549221

6 months from January 15th is July 15th.

Every chance that even on the slow cycle of rehab he could be back and contributing to the team on the field in games by September.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:06 pm
  • Pandion Haliaetus wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:Once again, 1 year contracts for both.

Yes, this is an interesting point. I believe players signed to one-year contracts are still considered compensatory free agents if they subsequently leave in free agency. So Shead will 1) not count against the 53-man roster while he is on IR and 2) would qualify for a compensatory pick if he signs a significant contract in free agency.

The Seahawks might even be able cut him with an injury settlement, if it's clear he won't be healthy enough to return, and he would still apparently qualify as a compensatory free agent:

Players who are cut with an injury settlement by their new team appear to qualify for the compensatory formula even if they otherwise would not. See Domenik Hixon in 2015, who qualified in favor of Carolina despite being cut with an injury settlement on June 3 due to tearing his ACL in OTAs.
    http://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-me ... aft-picks/

It's a win-win. Either the Seahawks can afford to re-sign Shead after this season or he receives a large enough offer from another team in free agency to qualify for a compensatory pick. Ditto for the rest of these "prove it" signees, who could net compensatory picks if they leave in free agency for significant money.
    hawknation2017
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:13 pm
  • This staff has earned the right to keep or toss any one at any time.

It is fun to play pretend as if we are the leadership structure of the team. In the end it is totally laughable.

They are making choices to field the most competitive team possible. Obviously Pete ranks som guys higher and lower than we do and for reasons we may or may not see or understand.

I like Luke. He is solid all around and a high character guy. I like how coach builds his locker room. The competition has many facets.
    Go Hawks.
    Sealake80
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:23 pm
  • There's something to be said for keeping guys that are familiar with the system. Especially if the contract is team friendly. I like these moves.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:32 pm
  • I thought Luke would be gone; I figured somebody would really like what they see, figure he is ready to take on a starting role, and give him a 3-4 yr, 12-15 million $ deal or so. That's why I am not a GM.

And glad we didn't trash Shead over a legitimate injury, while still saving a few $$ as necessary due to the uncertainty.

I personally don't want the team culture to be one of screwing over players.
    crosfam
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:36 pm
  • Great value.

In the end it is about bang for the buck.
    "It's about us getting ready to play. It's not about the other team. We'll beat ourselves before they beat us. That's always our approach."

Pete Carroll
    Mick063
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:37 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    dutchcoug wrote:I get Shead but why Luke in such a deep TE class? Unless guaranteed money is low.

Exactly. I like Luke, but the draft is strong in TE's. This is another sign they are considering letting Graham go after 2017 IMO.

Especially if Lacy balls out this season.
    Adopt a rookie 2017-Delano Hall, S, Michigan

seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:02 pm
  • Ringless wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Every chance that even on the slow cycle of rehab he could be back and contributing to the team on the field in games by September.

I don't provide care for professional athletes so I have to do some mental estimations. The average recovery for an NFL player is in the 10 month range. The recovery time is skewed a bit because of the season. Players who are injured early in the season take longer to recover, because they don't need to be recovered as quickly.

I will compare what we know of Shead to the timeline of Adrian Peterson's recovery. Peterson was in the 90th percentile for recovery, returning to play after just over 8 months. He tore his ACL Dec 24th, less than 1 month before Shead (ignoring the year). In 5 months he was putting lateral strain on the knee with a brace.

Shead posted pictures of early rehab on Friday, January 27th.

So he likely had surgery early that last week of January. I assume it was a ACL replacement. I haven't seen any info on where the graft is from. IMHO, this was a little rushed. They should have done some more pre-hab.

It would be instructional to see where he was 2-weeks post op, but I haven't found that data.

On March 15, Tracy Ford (Ford Sports Performance in Bellevue) posted the following video

So, about 8 weeks post-op, he is working primarily on maintaining strength in the core, hip, thigh, and calf. He is starting to put some light, isometric strain on the ACL. I am guessing that he is about 2 weeks behind Adrian Peterson's timeline.

He likely has another 4-6 weeks before he is allowed to start running in a straight line, and another 10-12 weeks before he can start cutting with a knee brace on.

The video shows that he is doing what he needs to to be ready for the big tests sometime between May and July when he will see if he is strong enough to stabilize and protect the leg when he returns to sports specific activities.

I think he is looking at a late October to mid November return. If you want to nail me down, I would say he will return Nov 5th unless the bye week is the 5th or the 12th. If the bye week falls on one of those Sundays, he will return following the bye week.
    Fire Thom Cable
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:18 pm
  • Seymour wrote:This is another sign they are considering letting Graham go after 2017 IMO.

I think so, too, that by bringing back Willson that the Hawks are keeping their options open with Graham. They are both receiving tight ends and not real good in line blockers.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:07 pm
  • hawknation2017 wrote:As John Schneider succinctly described during his recent combine presser, this time of year is all about "checking boxes" of need before the draft. Checking our boxes with experienced veterans on low-risk, prove it deals means we will be less dependent on the draft to fill specific positions of need.

It does NOT mean we will disregard these areas in the draft and undrafted free agency, i.e. kicker, offensive tackle, running back, tight end, cornerback, etc. It simply allows us to be more freewheeling and creative in drafting the best available players for this team.

IMO, that was one of the major dilemmas with the draft classes since our championship. We were forced to play catch-up, due to not having all of our boxes checked with veterans, by targeting very specific players in the draft at very specific positions of need.

Rather than relying on the draft to fill our holes, the team has done a nice job this year of acquiring free agents to meet the base line for the competition. Now the draft can be used to supplement that competition with young -- and hopefully even better -- talent. Think of it as plugging the holes in a leaky boat first (with "prove it" vets) before you spend your time scooping the water out with a bucket (rookies).

This guy gets it. These deals don't guarantee that Willson makes the roster this year. This just frees them up immensely with their draft strategy. Completely expecting the draft to solve your problem at any position just sets you up very poorly in multiple ways. If your competition knows you need something, they can more easily and confidently target where to move to draft someone they covet that you might have wanted.

So what if you go through the offseason not addressing a position at all with the thinking that the draft will solve it and then everyone you "planned" on in the draft gets sniped from you? Then you have a huge void at the position and have to hope it doesn't come back to haunt you due to injuries or anything magnifying it's importance.

Sure it's easy to say "This is a deep TE draft class, why make this deal?" but these guys have to consider the possibility of NOT getting a TE they want in the draft and this gives them insurance for that scenario. You'll see that similarity with all of the signings this offseason. As the quoted poster said, it's Schneider "checking boxes" for draft flexibility/strategy.
    Bryce84
    NET Rookie

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:27 pm
  • I would have let both of them walk. Team could have probably signed another TE with the same skills or better for less money. They need to draft another TE regardless if Vannett cant get any reps. I was really hoping Shead would be let go as I never cared for him and still don't see the love everybody has for him. I wanted that CB2 position to be improved, but it doesn't appear that's going to happen. Having said that, the deals are small and short so its not that huge of a deal. I just wanted to see improvement instead of the same old mediocrity.
    nash72
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:57 pm
  • Nash...

I'd say both positions will be improved upon with additional signings or draft picks. For certain CB where I can see them drafting two in the first 4 rounds
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:57 pm
  • Don't really think it has anything to do with Graham.

I think both guys are well liked by the team, top to bottom, and are slightly being rewarded for being consummate team players as guys done everything asked of them.

And more so with the team adding depth now and hoping their market picks up better next year.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:15 pm
  • Great signings. They get these guys for a fraction of their actual value.
    Last edited by Seafan on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:20 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Nash...

I'd say both positions will be improved upon with additional signings or draft picks. For certain CB where I can see them drafting two in the first 4 rounds

Right, then why keep them? I'd rather have the cash back to spend elsewhere.
    nash72
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:48 pm
  • Bryce84 wrote:
    hawknation2017 wrote:As John Schneider succinctly described during his recent combine presser, this time of year is all about "checking boxes" of need before the draft. Checking our boxes with experienced veterans on low-risk, prove it deals means we will be less dependent on the draft to fill specific positions of need.

It does NOT mean we will disregard these areas in the draft and undrafted free agency, i.e. kicker, offensive tackle, running back, tight end, cornerback, etc. It simply allows us to be more freewheeling and creative in drafting the best available players for this team.

IMO, that was one of the major dilemmas with the draft classes since our championship. We were forced to play catch-up, due to not having all of our boxes checked with veterans, by targeting very specific players in the draft at very specific positions of need.

Rather than relying on the draft to fill our holes, the team has done a nice job this year of acquiring free agents to meet the base line for the competition. Now the draft can be used to supplement that competition with young -- and hopefully even better -- talent. Think of it as plugging the holes in a leaky boat first (with "prove it" vets) before you spend your time scooping the water out with a bucket (rookies).

This guy gets it. These deals don't guarantee that Willson makes the roster this year. This just frees them up immensely with their draft strategy. Completely expecting the draft to solve your problem at any position just sets you up very poorly in multiple ways. If your competition knows you need something, they can more easily and confidently target where to move to draft someone they covet that you might have wanted.

So what if you go through the offseason not addressing a position at all with the thinking that the draft will solve it and then everyone you "planned" on in the draft gets sniped from you? Then you have a huge void at the position and have to hope it doesn't come back to haunt you due to injuries or anything magnifying it's importance.

Sure it's easy to say "This is a deep TE draft class, why make this deal?" but these guys have to consider the possibility of NOT getting a TE they want in the draft and this gives them insurance for that scenario. You'll see that similarity with all of the signings this offseason. As the quoted poster said, it's Schneider "checking boxes" for draft flexibility/strategy.

Adopt a rookie 2017-Delano Hall, S, Michigan

seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:53 am
  • seahawkfreak wrote:
    Bryce84 wrote:
    hawknation2017 wrote:As John Schneider succinctly described during his recent combine presser, this time of year is all about "checking boxes" of need before the draft. Checking our boxes with experienced veterans on low-risk, prove it deals means we will be less dependent on the draft to fill specific positions of need.

Yep. We have these same conversations every spring.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:02 am
  • nash72 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Nash...

Right, then why keep them? I'd rather have the cash back to spend elsewhere.

That cash is going to the position regardless. So why not retain two vets who know the team at a very low cost and almost no risk?

Ahead and Willson don't resolve the depth issues on their own. They are simply part of the solution.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:29 am
  • On the note of compensatory picks look at our current list of 2018 UFAs.

Offense: Jimmy Graham, Luke Willson, Paul Richardson, Justin Britt, Luke Joeckel, Garry Gilliam, Oday Aboushi
    Defense: Kam Chancellor, DeShawn Shead, Cassius Marsh, Kevin Pierre-Louis

Hopefully we can extend or resign a few of these guys. Either way, it's clear the Hawks are playing the long term game here.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:29 pm
  • Shead played well last year and the Cary Williams and Jeremy lane experiments tell me it's worth spending money on a known if injured quantity at CB because we definitely can't pull the Maxwells and Sheads out of nowhere on demand.
    I wouldn't love 3 mil on Willson but I'd live with "up to" 3 mil I guess. I'm listing towards Tical more on my attitude about the Willson signing. Just seems eminently replaceable.
    If it's for draft flexibility okay. If it's some kind of reward not okay. When you have sunk as much money at the TE position as we have, sentiment is a luxury you cannot afford. The locker room might have soured if you didn't reward a Doug Baldwin but nobody is going to stage a sit in over Willson.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:34 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:On the note of compensatory picks look at our current list of 2018 UFAs.

Offense: Jimmy Graham, Luke Willson, Paul Richardson, Justin Britt, Luke Joeckel, Garry Gilliam, Oday Aboushi

Hopefully we can extend or resign a few of these guys. Either way, it's clear the Hawks are playing the long term game here.

Who of the above do we think fall into the "Tical zone"?

IMO Marsh, KPL, Gilliam.

Willson might move out of the Tical zone for me if Graham is gone for the right low price.

The new OL signings I reserve judgment in the laughably unlikely event we are surprised by anything resembling competent play.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:01 am
  • Don't people remember plays from Willson like the 40-yard-ishTD vs Arizona a couple seasons ago, a little floater Russell threw for Luke to run under? Willson's speed makes the D have to account for him. He's become a decent blocker. Yes, his catch radius and hands aren't all they could be; he has trouble when he has to rotate his torso to try to catch a ball a little behind him. Like others said, solid player, knows the Seahawks scheme, coaches know his strengths and weaknesses, and can use him. Celebrate his return! If we pick up a TE in the draft or FA that beats him out, so much the better. My bet is on Willson being back and having a solid season, with a few key plays at crucial times. A good supporting cast player, solid move by the Hawks.
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Jarran Reed
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:28 am
  • How does Shear's deal compare to what he would have gotten with the minimum tender?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:36 am
  • bigskydoc wrote:
    Ringless wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

I don't provide care for professional athletes so I have to do some mental estimations. The average recovery for an NFL player is in the 10 month range. The recovery time is skewed a bit because of the season. Players who are injured early in the season take longer to recover, because they don't need to be recovered as quickly.

I will compare what we know of Shead to the timeline of Adrian Peterson's recovery. Peterson was in the 90th percentile for recovery, returning to play after just over 8 months. He tore his ACL Dec 24th, less than 1 month before Shead (ignoring the year). In 5 months he was putting lateral strain on the knee with a brace.

Shead posted pictures of early rehab on Friday, January 27th.

So he likely had surgery early that last week of January. I assume it was a ACL replacement. I haven't seen any info on where the graft is from. IMHO, this was a little rushed. They should have done some more pre-hab.

It would be instructional to see where he was 2-weeks post op, but I haven't found that data.

On March 15, Tracy Ford (Ford Sports Performance in Bellevue) posted the following video

So, about 8 weeks post-op, he is working primarily on maintaining strength in the core, hip, thigh, and calf. He is starting to put some light, isometric strain on the ACL. I am guessing that he is about 2 weeks behind Adrian Peterson's timeline.

He likely has another 4-6 weeks before he is allowed to start running in a straight line, and another 10-12 weeks before he can start cutting with a knee brace on.

The video shows that he is doing what he needs to to be ready for the big tests sometime between May and July when he will see if he is strong enough to stabilize and protect the leg when he returns to sports specific activities.

I think he is looking at a late October to mid November return. If you want to nail me down, I would say he will return Nov 5th unless the bye week is the 5th or the 12th. If the bye week falls on one of those Sundays, he will return following the bye week.

Can we put an alarm with a link to just this post to see how close doc comes?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:26 pm
  • For Shead this is good b/c he will rehab where he knows the trainers and medical staff, besides this is a clear message the team wants to keep him at last one the next FA period as Shead could justify a good size contract as a healthy FA. If so and the team decides to pass on re-signing him they are potentially buying a draft comp. pick while providing depth for the end of the season @ CB.

Next year may also be a better offseason for TEs.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:14 pm
  • Those three weeks with Shead are going to tip the scales.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:12 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:
    AgentDib wrote:On the note of compensatory picks look at our current list of 2018 UFAs.

Who of the above do we think fall into the "Tical zone"?

IMO Marsh, KPL, Gilliam.

Willson might move out of the Tical zone for me if Graham is gone for the right low price.

The new OL signings I reserve judgment in the laughably unlikely event we are surprised by anything resembling competent play.

Haha Tical zone has a fantastic ring to it! And I fully agree on all three players. I'm actually pretty disappointed Gilliam and KPL haven't been sent packing. Just taking roster spots of players who could actually become mediocre or better, because they're nice guys. I'm okay with Marsh as the last guy in your DE rotation because of his special teams play and occasional pressure, but whoever thought it a good idea to make him our 3rd down specialist last year should be beaten with a stick.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information