Lynch asks for release

OP
OP
K

kmeleon

Reaction score
I wouldn't grant it, they want him so bad....give us a pick. Nothing greedy, maybe a 3rd?

Mojambo

Reaction score
If they don't grant it they are on the hook for 9 million dollars this season.

Seattle can't afford that. He WILL be released if he decides to play.

ringless

Reaction score
^^
I was just about to say this. Lynch holds all the cards, and I don't think a team would part a 3rd pick for a RB that age, who started to struggle with injuries, and is a year removed from playing. Fans typically overestimate trade value

OP
OP
K

kmeleon

Reaction score
Mojambo":3u56cxkr said:

Seattle can't afford that. He WILL be released if he decides to play.

Understandable, but when are they forced to release him? I'd wait and force Oakland's hand. They NEED a back, AP isn't going to be sitting there forever.

Mojambo

Reaction score
There's nothing to force.

They should just release him (they have to eventually) and get on with their lives. No good comes from playing games with this. Lynch is still loved in that locker room. Just let him go.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
This is article is a regurgitation of rumors.

In any case, If he is forcing our hand with salary -- I'd come back and ask for his signing bonus back, and pursue tampering charges against raiders. If he wants to come back, it's on our terms. Drop your salary, facilitate a trade, its win win.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Now the bonus thing is a bit of leverage that Seattle does have. I don't know if it's enough to force a trade though.

And I'm not sure it's such a good idea to sour relations with a guy that will almost certainly be in the ring of honor someday.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Mojambo":2f6x8spx said:

How? If they don't release him, won't he just stay retired and the situation will just remain the same as if this would have never happened?

Mojambo

Reaction score
No, he can force their hand by getting reinstated. Then, they have to decide to either pay him (and release other players to free up salary to pay him) or release him and let him negotiate another deal with Oakland.

Basically, if he unretires his previous contract starts up again. Under that contract Seattle owes him 9 million unless they grant him his release.

OP
OP
K

kmeleon

Reaction score
Mojambo":k1py9dxs said:
No, he can force their hand by getting reinstated. Then, they have to decide to either pay him (and release other players to free up salary to pay him) or release him and let him negotiate another deal with Oakland.

I love the guy as much as anyone but there's a reason they didn't just release him when he retired. I believe they thought this might happen. I guess we'll see.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
kmeleon":2nt8pst7 said:
I wouldn't grant it, they want him so bad....give us a pick. Nothing greedy, maybe a 3rd?

Maybe they can get a couple of firsts, Joe Thomas, and a ham sandwich out of the deal. HARD BALL

Jville

Reaction score
since the admission that the team is “talking to” Lynch means that, absence advance permission from the Seahawks, the Raiders are tampering with Lynch. And that fact that Papa is employed by the Raiders would make it very easy for the league to require that he disclose what he knows within the confines of a tampering investigation. (If Papa had no connection to the team, the NFL would have no authority over him.)

[urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/17/raiders-cant-be-happy-that-greg-papa-blabbed-about-marshawn-lynch/[/urltargetblank]

Jerhawk

Reaction score
How is this not tampering by the Raiders?
Why won't the Raiders just trade us a 3rd or a 4th and take him?
I'm confused

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I feel like people are placing the timing of this in relation to Murray having just gone to the Vikings, but that's totally off base IMO.

The event that really mattered in the timing of this is the Seahawks signing Eddie Lacy. Once they did that, they don't need and can't afford Lynch if he does unretire, allowing for the Raiders to start fishing around.

IMO it would just be spiteful and petty for the Hawks to try to demand something for him -- he literally has no value for them and if he comes out of retirement they'd just have to cut him anyway.

I can see the Raiders giving the Hawks a 7th or something purely as a tip of the cap, but more than that doesn't make sense to me.

As for the PFT story above, an announcer hinting that he knows something doesn't move me too much.

Not letting a player they can't use anymore go home for a year or two would just make the Seahawks look petty. Trying to bring a tampering grievance against the Raiders over a player they can't use anymore would be beyond petty.

Also, people trying to read into Lynch being spotted in Raiders gear don't know much about Lynch. He spent his entire career in Seattle decked out in A's and Warriors gear. He just wasn't walking around in Raiders gear while on the Hawks out of respect for his team. I guarantee the day after he retired he dusted off his Raiders hat. For him it's about representing Oakland, not trying to send secret messages about how he's going to play for the Raiders.

ringless

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1ryx0lrr said:
How is this not tampering by the Raiders?
Why won't the Raiders just trade us a 3rd or a 4th and take him?
I'm confused

Well a lot of information isn't known. If Lynch was seen yesterday, or met with Seattle yesterday. It is always possible the Raiders got wind of this after, and were not actively discussing before. Everything is circumstantial right now, and at this point rumors.

There is always the chance it is just pure speculation. I haven't seen anything directly from the Raiders organization itself saying they have spoken to Lynch at all. For all we know, Lynch met with Seattle yesterday in hopes of being released so he can go where he wants for a last run. Or possibly the meeting never happened at all.

I think a 3rd or 4th is rather high considering his age, injury history, and being a year removed from football. In addition, you have to take into account the 9 million that Seattle can't afford to pay.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1lqhxzk8 said:
I feel like people are placing the timing of this in relation to Murray having just gone to the Vikings, but that's totally off base IMO.

The event that really mattered in the timing of this is the Seahawks signing Eddie Lacy. Once they did that, they don't need and can't afford Lynch if he does unretire, allowing for the Raiders to start fishing around.

IMO it would just be spiteful and petty for the Hawks to try to demand something for him -- he literally has no value for them and if he comes out of retirement they'd just have to cut him anyway.

I can see the Raiders giving the Hawks a 7th or something purely as a tip of the cap, but more than that doesn't make sense to me.

As for the PFT story above, an announcer hinting that he knows something doesn't move me too much.

Not letting a player they can't use anymore go home for a year or two would just make the Seahawks look petty. Trying to bring a tampering grievance against the Raiders over a player they can't use anymore would be beyond petty.

I see what you're saying, but this is a business. Lynch signed the contract, he's still contractually obligated to do whatever is in that contract for Seattle.
Seattle holds the cards in this. If Lynch wants to play for Oakland, then Seattle should be compensated via a mid to late round pick. Imo

Jville

Reaction score
The Seahawks have worked at cultivating a good relationship with Marshawn Lynch.

By all accounts, they have a very good relationship with the Raiders.

This will all be sorted out by responsible participates that matter.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ringless":2egro19x said:
^^
I was just about to say this. Lynch holds all the cards, and I don't think a team would part a 3rd pick for a RB that age, who started to struggle with injuries, and is a year removed from playing. Fans typically overestimate trade value

Well he doesn't hold all the cards, we can say "sure you can come back, but you're coming back and playing for us."

I'm fine with just releasing him, let him go play for Oakland. Or have them trade us a 4th or 5th rounder, no need to make this a toxic situation.