Is Marshawn intentionally trying to screw the Hawks?

seabowl

Reaction score
I like the rest of you love what Marshawn brought to and did for this team. With that said IMO I think the way this scenario is playing out, he is intentionally trying to get one over on the Hawks. Why after one day after the Hawks sign Eddie Lacy, who will more likely be our lead back, does Marshawn wanting to come out of retirement surface? It looks like he waited for us to sign someone else knowing that we lose leverage in trading him for compensation once we did land a featured back. Teams know now that with Lacy, Prosise and Rawls we won't take on another back especially one with huge compensation that he is due.

Timing is everything here and with his wanting to return one day after we sign Lacy makes it clear to me that he wanted to hurt the Hawks by decreasing the trade leverage big time.

Josea16

Reaction score
Or just possibly the whole thing is crap? It isn't like the news actually does fact checking or has actual sources anymore beyond Facebook or Twitter right? Look, do as I have been taught in school (gasp). Believe NOTHING you read and only HALF of what you see. You will be happier and actually know the actual facts and live longer.

The world has gone off it's rocker and that includes sports and especially sports reporting. Even if you can call what Fox1, ESPN and others do journalism.

Hyak

Reaction score
Greg Papa was the initial source and he is credible. That said, interest doesn't mean reality as clearly there are a number of things needed to be worked out for Lynch to ever see the field again as a Raider.

Of course, it could just be a planted story to keep his name out there as he is a bit of a passive aggressive attention whore. In addition, the Raiders could be using this as leverage to low ball Adrian Peterson too.

Regardless, he's done as a Seahawk and his 2015 season was somewhat souring. He was pretty average before he got hurt and the stunt before the Vikings playoff game was pretty weak and selfish IMO.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
If it was a multiple-choice test it would look like this:

Choose 1:
A) Never going to happen
B) All of the above

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Maybe Oakland is trying to screw the Hawks, not Marshawn, in an attempt to bring back the rivalry that has been dead for far too long

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Until Lynch requests his release, this is a nothing burger.

fwx-burgerless-burger.jpg

Rat

Reaction score
Josea16":3eyawlc8 said:
Or just possibly the whole thing is crap? It isn't like the news actually does fact checking or has actual sources anymore beyond Facebook or Twitter right? Look, do as I have been taught in school (gasp). Believe NOTHING you read and only HALF of what you see. You will be happier and actually know the actual facts and live longer.

The world has gone off it's rocker and that includes sports and especially sports reporting. Even if you can call what Fox1, ESPN and others do journalism.

Doesn't like the report = the story is crap

Popeyejones

Reaction score
seabowl":2pj3ku9q said:
I like the rest of you love what Marshawn brought to and did for this team. With that said IMO I think the way this scenario is playing out, he is intentionally trying to get one over on the Hawks. Why after one day after the Hawks sign Eddie Lacy, who will more likely be our lead back, does Marshawn wanting to come out of retirement surface? It looks like he waited for us to sign someone else knowing that we lose leverage in trading him for compensation once we did land a featured back. Teams know now that with Lacy, Prosise and Rawls we won't take on another back especially one with huge compensation that he is due.

How does this screw the Hawks though?

The only way it would screw the Hawks is if they had approached him about coming out of retirement before they signed Lacy and he said no.

TBH even without Lacy I don't see a scenario in which the Hawks would even want Lynch back at the money they owe him.

For the Hawks, the worst case scenario in this is he gets reinstated, the cut him, and then have nothing lost and nothing gained from what they had before any of this started.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The fact that Lynch hasn't filed with the league office to move out of retirement suggests that this is probably either all crap, or only true in the sense that the Raiders wish Lynch would come there.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Marshawn comes out of retirement, Hawks hopefully grant him his release, he plays for the Raiders. I fail to see how that impacts the Seahawks whatsoever ?

Unless you're thinking that the Hawks would have rather gone with Lynch over Lacy this season, which I doubt.

chris98251

Reaction score
Don't think he is trying to screw anyone, he may be thinking if he can come back and land in Oakland maybe he can help be a part of salvaging the team staying there, Lott and others have a proposal still to build a stadium, not having looked into it I admit, but Lynch is about his Hometown, and his name and connections to put pressure on the league and The Davis's to make something work for the Raiders to stay.

He may also want to help them become a winner, but if he had that desire why retire in the first place. With his contract you had to know the Seahawks would want to do something about his balloon year anyway and he probably could have got out of it or got a trade or something.

Having seen him and what he does now for a few years, the football player Marshawn and the Private Citizen Marshawn are much different animals.

This may be a rare situation where both are trying to do something that none of us are really aware of, also John Schneider and the Oakland front office are very friendly with each other, well maybe not as much as the used to be, we did send them Aaron Curry, but very amiable.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
kobebryant":1py0hcpo said:
Marshawn comes out of retirement, Hawks hopefully grant him his release, he plays for the Raiders. I fail to see how that impacts the Seahawks whatsoever ?

Unless you're thinking that the Hawks would have rather gone with Lynch over Lacy this season, which I doubt.

:ditto:
It doesn't affect the Hawks in any way.

Still don't think it's going to happen.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I think Oakland may have had local radio guy drop this in order to somewhat lean on Peterson and Marshawn isn't squashing it because, why should he? Or it's just flat BS normal this time of year to generate clicks and buzz.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This whole controversy, if it is actually one, is based upon fake news. Has anyone heard from Lynch on this?

Until Lynch checks in I will regard this as a media fantasy likely created at the behest of Oakland to pressure AP into signing a more favourable deal.

If Beast wants to give it a go for the Raiders, I think the team would release or trade him in afriendly way to them. A 4th next year or a 5th this year would be reasonable. If Marshawn wanted to force things the team would accommodate him.

Josea16

Reaction score
Rat":ph6usdtq said:
Josea16":ph6usdtq said:

Doesn't like the report = the story is crap
Or possibly the media is a spin machine of crap beyond the weather report? Which they get right in the Midwest because it's damn important here. The PNW is impossible to be accurate given the weather environment is unique.

Everything else not so much, hence I listen to more credible sources for actual news. Which explicitly doesn't include Facebook/Twitter or anything even vaguely related to them. It's slower but damned well more reliable.

jeremiah

Reaction score
If this really happened, or happens in the future. Tell Marshawn to give back the money they allowed him to keep, then we will cut him. Either that or a trade. Lynch WAS a Beast on the field, but he was very selfish as a human. If he was not as great at running the ball as he was, everyone would have hated him. Me, I loved his effort, but never really pretended to know the man. He was just another player obsessed with himself. I would think that would be something he would not want exposed with a retirement and return.

kobebryant

Reaction score
jeremiah":3s8u8wk0 said:
If this really happened, or happens in the future. Tell Marshawn to give back the money they allowed him to keep, then we will cut him. Either that or a trade. Lynch WAS a Beast on the field, but he was very selfish as a human. If he was not as great at running the ball as he was, everyone would have hated him. Me, I loved his effort, but never really pretended to know the man. He was just another player obsessed with himself. I would think that would be something he would not want exposed with a retirement and return.

Huh? In a matter of a couple sentences you say that you never pretended to know the man, yet say that he was a very selfish human being. Google will tell you all about Marshawn and his charitable endeavours, and quotes from teammates will speak even louder.