Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Is Marshawn intentionally trying to screw the Hawks?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • I like the rest of you love what Marshawn brought to and did for this team. With that said IMO I think the way this scenario is playing out, he is intentionally trying to get one over on the Hawks. Why after one day after the Hawks sign Eddie Lacy, who will more likely be our lead back, does Marshawn wanting to come out of retirement surface? It looks like he waited for us to sign someone else knowing that we lose leverage in trading him for compensation once we did land a featured back. Teams know now that with Lacy, Prosise and Rawls we won't take on another back especially one with huge compensation that he is due.

Timing is everything here and with his wanting to return one day after we sign Lacy makes it clear to me that he wanted to hurt the Hawks by decreasing the trade leverage big time.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• Or just possibly the whole thing is crap? It isn't like the news actually does fact checking or has actual sources anymore beyond Facebook or Twitter right? Look, do as I have been taught in school (gasp). Believe NOTHING you read and only HALF of what you see. You will be happier and actually know the actual facts and live longer.

The world has gone off it's rocker and that includes sports and especially sports reporting. Even if you can call what Fox1, ESPN and others do journalism.
    Last edited by Josea16 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

• Greg Papa was the initial source and he is credible. That said, interest doesn't mean reality as clearly there are a number of things needed to be worked out for Lynch to ever see the field again as a Raider.

Of course, it could just be a planted story to keep his name out there as he is a bit of a passive aggressive attention whore. In addition, the Raiders could be using this as leverage to low ball Adrian Peterson too.

Regardless, he's done as a Seahawk and his 2015 season was somewhat souring. He was pretty average before he got hurt and the stunt before the Vikings playoff game was pretty weak and selfish IMO.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

• If it was a multiple-choice test it would look like this:

Choose 1:
    A) Never going to happen
    B) All of the above
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• Maybe Oakland is trying to screw the Hawks, not Marshawn, in an attempt to bring back the rivalry that has been dead for far too long
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Until Lynch requests his release, this is a nothing burger.

seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• Josea16 wrote:Or just possibly the whole thing is crap? It isn't like the news actually does fact checking or has actual sources anymore beyond Facebook or Twitter right? Look, do as I have been taught in school (gasp). Believe NOTHING you read and only HALF of what you see. You will be happier and actually know the actual facts and live longer.

The world has gone off it's rocker and that includes sports and especially sports reporting. Even if you can call what Fox1, ESPN and others do journalism.

Doesn't like the report = the story is crap
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• seabowl wrote:I like the rest of you love what Marshawn brought to and did for this team. With that said IMO I think the way this scenario is playing out, he is intentionally trying to get one over on the Hawks. Why after one day after the Hawks sign Eddie Lacy, who will more likely be our lead back, does Marshawn wanting to come out of retirement surface? It looks like he waited for us to sign someone else knowing that we lose leverage in trading him for compensation once we did land a featured back. Teams know now that with Lacy, Prosise and Rawls we won't take on another back especially one with huge compensation that he is due.

How does this screw the Hawks though?

The only way it would screw the Hawks is if they had approached him about coming out of retirement before they signed Lacy and he said no.

TBH even without Lacy I don't see a scenario in which the Hawks would even want Lynch back at the money they owe him.

For the Hawks, the worst case scenario in this is he gets reinstated, the cut him, and then have nothing lost and nothing gained from what they had before any of this started.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• The fact that Lynch hasn't filed with the league office to move out of retirement suggests that this is probably either all crap, or only true in the sense that the Raiders wish Lynch would come there.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Marshawn comes out of retirement, Hawks hopefully grant him his release, he plays for the Raiders. I fail to see how that impacts the Seahawks whatsoever ?

Unless you're thinking that the Hawks would have rather gone with Lynch over Lacy this season, which I doubt.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• Don't think he is trying to screw anyone, he may be thinking if he can come back and land in Oakland maybe he can help be a part of salvaging the team staying there, Lott and others have a proposal still to build a stadium, not having looked into it I admit, but Lynch is about his Hometown, and his name and connections to put pressure on the league and The Davis's to make something work for the Raiders to stay.

He may also want to help them become a winner, but if he had that desire why retire in the first place. With his contract you had to know the Seahawks would want to do something about his balloon year anyway and he probably could have got out of it or got a trade or something.

Having seen him and what he does now for a few years, the football player Marshawn and the Private Citizen Marshawn are much different animals.

This may be a rare situation where both are trying to do something that none of us are really aware of, also John Schneider and the Oakland front office are very friendly with each other, well maybe not as much as the used to be, we did send them Aaron Curry, but very amiable.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• kobebryant wrote:Marshawn comes out of retirement, Hawks hopefully grant him his release, he plays for the Raiders. I fail to see how that impacts the Seahawks whatsoever ?

Unless you're thinking that the Hawks would have rather gone with Lynch over Lacy this season, which I doubt.

:ditto:
    It doesn't affect the Hawks in any way.

Still don't think it's going to happen.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• I think Oakland may have had local radio guy drop this in order to somewhat lean on Peterson and Marshawn isn't squashing it because, why should he? Or it's just flat BS normal this time of year to generate clicks and buzz.
    Subzero717
    NET Pro Bowler

• This whole controversy, if it is actually one, is based upon fake news. Has anyone heard from Lynch on this?

Until Lynch checks in I will regard this as a media fantasy likely created at the behest of Oakland to pressure AP into signing a more favourable deal.

If Beast wants to give it a go for the Raiders, I think the team would release or trade him in afriendly way to them. A 4th next year or a 5th this year would be reasonable. If Marshawn wanted to force things the team would accommodate him.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Rat wrote:
    Josea16 wrote:Or just possibly the whole thing is crap? It isn't like the news actually does fact checking or has actual sources anymore beyond Facebook or Twitter right? Look, do as I have been taught in school (gasp). Believe NOTHING you read and only HALF of what you see. You will be happier and actually know the actual facts and live longer.

Doesn't like the report = the story is crap

Or possibly the media is a spin machine of crap beyond the weather report? Which they get right in the Midwest because it's damn important here. The PNW is impossible to be accurate given the weather environment is unique.

Everything else not so much, hence I listen to more credible sources for actual news. Which explicitly doesn't include Facebook/Twitter or anything even vaguely related to them. It's slower but damned well more reliable.
    Last edited by Josea16 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Josea16
    NET Veteran

• If this really happened, or happens in the future. Tell Marshawn to give back the money they allowed him to keep, then we will cut him. Either that or a trade. Lynch WAS a Beast on the field, but he was very selfish as a human. If he was not as great at running the ball as he was, everyone would have hated him. Me, I loved his effort, but never really pretended to know the man. He was just another player obsessed with himself. I would think that would be something he would not want exposed with a retirement and return.
    jeremiah
    NET Practice Squad

• jeremiah wrote:If this really happened, or happens in the future. Tell Marshawn to give back the money they allowed him to keep, then we will cut him. Either that or a trade. Lynch WAS a Beast on the field, but he was very selfish as a human. If he was not as great at running the ball as he was, everyone would have hated him. Me, I loved his effort, but never really pretended to know the man. He was just another player obsessed with himself. I would think that would be something he would not want exposed with a retirement and return.

Huh? In a matter of a couple sentences you say that you never pretended to know the man, yet say that he was a very selfish human being. Google will tell you all about Marshawn and his charitable endeavours, and quotes from teammates will speak even louder.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• This is the thing that everyone who thinks Lynch has all the leverage and is trying to screw us over is missing:

If he's tell the league he wants to un-retire, then yes, his salary is back on our books and we're on the hook for a lot of money. Everyone assumes that unless the Raiders agree to a trade, we'll be forced to release him and we get nothing and Marshawn and the Raiders win.

What if we call his bluff? What if we say "OKAY MARSHAWN, WE'LL SEE YOU IN OTAs, MINICAMP, TRAINING CAMP, and PRESEASON... gotta get you ready for the Superbowl run!"

Do you think Marshawn would actually show up and tell the media "I'm just here so I don't get fined." And basically stab a dagger in to all of his former teammates guts by essentially holding the team hostage? What if the team has to start cutting other players in order to pay Beast Mode. He'd start losing respect really quick in the locker room.

More likely he'd hold out, get fined, and unless the Raiders pony up a draft pick or two, eventually give up and quit before he ever played a game for us. Sure, the Hawks would have to deal with some cap flexibility issues, but if they really got low on cap space they still have the option to release him. This is Beast Mode -- I can't see any circumstance where he'd end up suiting up for games.

The Hawks already did him some big favors by A) signing him to an extension before the last year of his current deal, and B) not asking him to repay his signing bonus when he "retired." Out of principle, if I were them I'd play some serious hardball. If the raiders won't pay up, I'd make him pay a lot more than $2.5M of that big ass signing bonus (not sure how that would affect the cap).

There are two likely scenarios:

1) Beast Mode stays retired
    2) The Raiders pony up a minimum of a 4th or 5th round pick to take him off of our hands.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• Just to add to that, the team would have plenty of leverage in the offseason of Marshawn doesn't show up:

The truth is, teams have plenty of levers to pull. There's the aforementioned $70,000 fine for skipping a mandatory minicamp. There's the penalty -- up to $30,000 -- they can assess the player for every missed day of training camp. They can also dock each guy the equivalent of a game check -- 1/17th of his salary -- for missing a preseason contest. And if an under-contract player doesn't report by Aug. 5, he loses an accrued season.

What I DON'T know is how those fines affect salary cap space. Hawkstorian??
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Seymour
    NET Veteran

• A-Dog wrote:This is the thing that everyone who thinks Lynch has all the leverage and is trying to screw us over is missing:

If he's tell the league he wants to un-retire, then yes, his salary is back on our books and we're on the hook for a lot of money. Everyone assumes that unless the Raiders agree to a trade, we'll be forced to release him and we get nothing and Marshawn and the Raiders win.

What if we call his bluff? What if we say "OKAY MARSHAWN, WE'LL SEE YOU IN OTAs, MINICAMP, TRAINING CAMP, and PRESEASON... gotta get you ready for the Superbowl run!"

Do you think Marshawn would actually show up and tell the media "I'm just here so I don't get fined." And basically stab a dagger in to all of his former teammates guts by essentially holding the team hostage? What if the team has to start cutting other players in order to pay Beast Mode. He'd start losing respect really quick in the locker room.

More likely he'd hold out, get fined, and unless the Raiders pony up a draft pick or two, eventually give up and quit before he ever played a game for us. Sure, the Hawks would have to deal with some cap flexibility issues, but if they really got low on cap space they still have the option to release him. This is Beast Mode -- I can't see any circumstance where he'd end up suiting up for games.

The Hawks already did him some big favors by A) signing him to an extension before the last year of his current deal, and B) not asking him to repay his signing bonus when he "retired." Out of principle, if I were them I'd play some serious hardball. If the raiders won't pay up, I'd make him pay a lot more than $2.5M of that big ass signing bonus (not sure how that would affect the cap).

2) The Raiders pony up a minimum of a 4th or 5th round pick to take him off of our hands.

The Hawks were nice in letting him keep the money but it's no different money wise them him not retiring at the Hawks cutting him which they probably would have had to do anyways. There is no trade market for Lynch because no one is going to pay him his current salary to play.
    edogg23
    NET Veteran

• Peter King is also claiming from a reliable source that Lynch wants to play for Oakland and only Oakland.

Here's my two only scenario's where this actually happens.
    1. Lynch returns the 5.5 million Hawks paid him last year in good faith and then Hawks cut him.
    2. Lynch returns the 5.5 million and Hawks get a late round draft pick from Oakland for a trade.

If he doesn't return the 5.5 million this could get really nasty. Or Hawks could also turn into pussies and fold on his demands and just cut him.
    RCATES
    NET Rookie

• RCATES wrote:Peter King is also claiming from a reliable source that Lynch wants to play for Oakland and only Oakland.

Here's my two only scenario's where this actually happens.
    1. Lynch returns the 5.5 million Hawks paid him last year in good faith and then Hawks cut him.
    2. Lynch returns the 5.5 million and Hawks get a late round draft pick from Oakland for a trade.

If he doesn't return the 5.5 million this could get really nasty. Or Hawks could also turn into pussies and fold on his demands and just cut him.

That $5.5 million wouldn't do a thing to our salary cap number, though, would it? And would Marshawn even report to us (maybe he has to to fulfill language in the contract). But even if he would report, it doesn't sound like his heart would be in it to play for us. And he's all about the heart.

All parties have to understand that it's not fair for us to just release him, kiss him goodbye and watch him potentially have a renaissance year in Oakland. I say trade for a conditional 4th-6th in 2018 -- 1,200 yards and 12 touchdowns (4th), 900 yards and 8 TDs (5th), all other (6th).
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• I understand that the Seahawks have leverage, but so does Lynch. The entitlement to Lynch I find interesting. Teams cut players all the time for cap reasons, and don't get anything in return. Sure, the Seahawks could manipulate their cap situation to fit Lynch in. But 9 million, is 9 million no matter how you cut it. Do the Seahawks do that just to prove a point and what exactly do they prove in doing that? What actually gets accomplished? Doing that seems counterintuitive to what they are trying to accomplish and that 9 million is going to be needed next season with some of the UFA's coming up.

Then Seattle has to decide how many backs they are going to keep on the roster. They also have to sacrifice the development of Rawls, and Procise at that point. Because you cant have Lynch, or Lacy riding the pine. Can you imagine your backup RB getting paid 5 million? Ouch! Plus your starter 9 million? While leaving Rawls and Procise not getting reps, not getting better.... But hey! You proved a point! And all it cost you was 9 million to force someone who doesn't want to play to play for you. And it only cost you a year of development for two players the fan base is excited about. It only cost you 9 million out of a tight budget that now can't be paid to players the following years while the defensive stars are aging. All in some passive aggressive manner because the team feels slighted that Lynch might want to play for another team. Yes, Seattle has some leverage... But at what cost? I'm all for Seattle using their leverage because it does them more harm than good.
    ringless
    NET Veteran

• A-Dog wrote:

3) Marshawn unretires, we release him so he can play for the Raiders and we eat the 5.5M as good faith. Or the Raider's swap us a 6th or 7th round pick.

Like I said on page one, no need to get nasty here with Marshawn. Give the man his release so he can go play for his hometown. We look like the legit high road franchise that we want to be perceived as to attract top free agents down the road.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• ringless wrote:Sure, the Seahawks could manipulate their cap situation to fit Lynch in. But 9 million, is 9 million no matter how you cut it. Do the Seahawks do that just to prove a point and what exactly do they prove in doing that? What actually gets accomplished?

The point would be to force Oakland to give us a draft pick and/or have lynch return some of the signing bonus that he didn't earn. The draft pick is more important, but if getting the signing bonus back would somehow affect our cap (nobody seems to know the answer to this) that could be equally important. There's also the possible tampering issue that the Seahawks could raise a fuss about for additional leverage.

I'm pretty sure there's a poker match going on over this.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote: We look like the legit high road franchise that we want to be perceived as to attract top free agents down the road.

The Pats treat their players like shit and don't seem to be having any problems. At the end of the day it's a business. Everybody loves Marshawn but they also know when he's being ridiculous, just like Sherman has been ridiculous. The org has bent over backwards for Marshawn, I don't think anyone could say we did him dirty just because we didn't want to give an opposing team a freebie.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• A-Dog wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote: We look like the legit high road franchise that we want to be perceived as to attract top free agents down the road.

The Pats treat their players like shit and don't seem to be having any problems. At the end of the day it's a business. Everybody loves Marshawn but they also know when he's being ridiculous, just like Sherman has been ridiculous. The org has bent over backwards for Marshawn, I don't think anyone could say we did him dirty just because we didn't want to give an opposing team a freebie.

But why hold him hostage when he's no longer in our plans for this year, or any other year?

I could understand if Marshawn was in his prime and we wanted him back if he unretired. But we don't, so I don't get trying to wring out a pound of flesh MAYBE getting a late round pick just cause we can.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Seahawks allowed Lynch to stay on the 53 at the start of the year knowing he was retiring and not going to play a single down for us in 2016. By doing that in good faith it cost them 5.5 million dollars and went against last years cap. No way if I'm Seattle's front office I'm going to let him suddenly change his mind and unretire without either A. Getting all that 5.5 back or B. Getting a good draft pick from Oakland in a trade. I feel he owes them the money either way if he decides to come back and play from Oakland. He restricted Seahawks cap last year with retiring. Stayed retired or give that money back. Also to answer a question earlier no that money returned would not have any effect on this years cap just PA's pocket book. Either way its the principle of the matter. Its Oakland or stay retired from everything we've heard so far. That gives Seattle all the control.
    RCATES
    NET Rookie

• I agree with the above post.

Fair is fair, the team didn't pay Lynch $5.5 mil. just to have him feel good. They deserve some compensation if he wishes to start playing again, but only in Oakland. either repayment of the $ pai that were not earned or some kind of draft pick compensation if the Raiders are serious.

Lynch is officially retired and will need to petition the league for reinstatement which shouldn't be a big problem. The team actually holds his rights for thiis season and for the next b/c of the contract he signed.

I don't think Lynch is intentionally trying to screw the SEahawks.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• RCATES wrote: That gives Seattle all the control.

No it doesn't.

Lynch could also play hardball and say OK if you're not going to release or cut me when I unretire, then I'm coming back to play for my 10M in 2017.

Which would totally screw our cap.

Again, no reason to make this contentious.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:But why hold him hostage when he's no longer in our plans for this year, or any other year?

Why not just give draft picks away to all of Pete and John's buddies?

How about we trade BWags to Atlanta for a 6th rounder because Dan Quinn's a super cool dude, and why not?

There is the potential to get some form of compensation for Lynch. John owes it to the owner, the coaches, the players, and the fans to do his very best to make this franchise as competitive as possible. This happens to be an EXTREMELY deep draft, and one in which we are lacking picks in the 4th and 5th rounds, which means we could miss on some guys we really want. This is an opportunity to maybe fill that gap.

There are a lot of fans that LOVE Marshawn with a passion, I understand that. But again, this is a business.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• A-Dog wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:But why hold him hostage when he's no longer in our plans for this year, or any other year?

How about we trade BWags to Atlanta for a 6th rounder because Dan Quinn's a super cool dude, and why not?

There is the potential to get some form of compensation for Lynch. John owes it to the owner, the coaches, the players, and the fans to do his very best to make this franchise as competitive as possible. This happens to be an EXTREMELY deep draft, and one in which we are lacking picks in the 4th and 5th rounds, which means we could miss on some guys we really want. This is an opportunity to maybe fill that gap.

There are a lot of fans that LOVE Marshawn with a passion, I understand that. But again, this is a business.

I think you're way overestimating what we can get for a 31 year old Lynch who didn't even play last year, and was hurt when he was here two years ago.

Like I said, if the Raiders want to throw in a 6th or 7th, or swap picks with us? Sure, but if you guys think we can hold Marshawn hostage for even a 4th or 5th rounder, that's not realistic IMO. Because if we play hardball, Lynch could REALLY mess up our cap if he wanted. That's why it's in our best interest to not make this contentious.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• One more thing to add:

Oakland was 12-4 last year, had 7 pro bowlers, and are a young team on the rise. That's advantage Oakland in all three categories. It's not inconceivable that they could represent the AFC in the Superbowl with a 1-2 punch of Derek Carr and a revitalized Beast Mode. Imagine if the Seahawks somehow made it too.

I bet Oakland would throw the ball from the 1-yard line with the game on the line.

Bottom line - sweep the leg. Always compete Don't give your opponent any unnecessary advantage.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• Kudos to Marshawn as he really does hold the leverage here. Best case scenario is that the Seahawks get a late round pick for his rights but he's done as a Seahawk, which I am totally fine with.

He was not the same guy in 2015 and increasingly became the malcontent. His Mommy called for the OC to be fired. His agent bashed the QB on twitter. He himself waited until the team was boarding a plane after practicing all week to say he couldn't play as opposed to travelling with the team. At some point, the BS exceeded the value.

I'd rather ride with the backs we have for 2017.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:I think you're way overestimating what we can get for a 31 year old Lynch who didn't even play last year, and was hurt when he was here two years ago.

Like I said, if the Raiders want to throw in a 6th or 7th, or swap picks with us? Sure, but if you guys think we can hold Marshawn hostage for even a 4th or 5th rounder, that's not realistic IMO. Because if we play hardball, Lynch could REALLY mess up our cap if he wanted. That's why it's in our best interest to not make this contentious.

Well that's just, like, your opinion man. We'll have to agree to disagree. Even still, I'd take a 6th or 7th rounder over jack diddly.

And Marshawn won't ruin our cap. He will never report to Seattle, much less play in a game. I believe the quote was "Oakland or bust." First of all, Marshawn doesn't BS. Second of all, you think he'd report here after saying that and lose all credibility with his boys back home. Not a chance.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• JTB wrote:He was not the same guy in 2015 and increasingly became the malcontent. His Mommy called for the OC to be fired. His agent bashed the QB on twitter. He himself waited until the team was boarding a plane after practicing all week to say he couldn't play as opposed to travelling with the team. At some point, the BS exceeded the value.

Along with flipping off the OC during a game (potentially tipping off the play to the opponent), forcing a contract extension against team policy leaving players like Bennett and Kam saying wtf, going off to rehab his "injury" with a boxing trainer rather than staying at the team's facilities while they're paying him $12M a year or whatever, possibly being involved in the "Russell isn't black enough" BS, generally being jealous of Russ' ascension and not being a team player, and for all intents and purposes quitting on the team for good after he didn't get the ball in the Superbowl loss.

I don't know if he's intentionally trying to screw the Hawks now, but I do know that he already did.

The team doesn't owe him a damn thing.
    Last edited by A-Dog on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• Let's just wait and see if he files for reinstatement first. Nothing can happen until then.

Actually, I just thought of something. Can you trade a player's rights? Therefore, could we trade Marshawn's rights for, say a 7th rounder, and then the Raiders would assume the final 2 years of his contract?
    Last edited by Siouxhawk on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• Siouxhawk wrote:Let's just wait and see if he files for reinstatement first. Nothing can happen until then.

He's waiting for the Hawks and Raiders to work something out. Otherwise he would have done it already. The most frustrated guy in all of this is probably Adrian Peterson, waiting to see if Oakland gets their first choice or not.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• A-Dog wrote:
    Siouxhawk wrote:Let's just wait and see if he files for reinstatement first. Nothing can happen until then.

He's waiting for the Hawks and Raiders to work something out. Otherwise he would have done it already. The most frustrated guy in all of this is probably Adrian Peterson, waiting to see if Oakland gets their first choice or not.

The reports are AP still thinks he's a 10M a year elite RB, that's why no one's signed him yet.

So if he's frustrated, he did it to himself. LOTS of teams would sign AP, but it's gotta be for a lower incentive type of contract. He needs to prove he's capable of staying healthy before any team's going to give him any significant guaranteed money.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    A-Dog wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:But why hold him hostage when he's no longer in our plans for this year, or any other year?

I think you're way overestimating what we can get for a 31 year old Lynch who didn't even play last year, and was hurt when he was here two years ago.

No he can't because its been stated numerous times its Oakland or bust. He has zero intentions in playing here so that threat of having to pay him more doesn't exist. Its simple. Give Paul Allen his 5.5 million back and the team cuts you so you can play one year in Oakland. There's about a 85% chance the Raiders will be in Vegas next season.
    RCATES
    NET Rookie

• Marshawn loves being in the public eye. It's good business sense. If his name isn't out there, he's not selling Beast Mode Merchandise.

He's been on several TV shows, Diesel Brothers, Bear Grylls, the fish tank one to name 3. So if he wants to keep his Brand alive, and he just happens to be in Seattle supporting a charity event, all he needs to do is drop a few hints here and there, maybe call Gee Scott, then stop by the VMAC and say hello, and BOOM!! MARSHAWN LYNCH! BEAST MODE!

All over the internet. Smart. :bow:
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• Not sure how any of this screws anyone.

If he wants to play again he'll need to be released or traded, and that's up to the Seahawks and how much compensation they think they may get for him.

Lynch wasn't/isn't going to play here again. That was done when he retired the first time. He's not going to unretire to come back to a team perceived to be on the 'decline' (media sentiment) with a poor line.

Not much to the story until something happens, but the idea that he's trying to "screw" the seahawks is a joke - if anything he's the one trying not to get screwed by a prohibitive contract.

Either the hawks get nothing or trade compensation. Either way they can't get "screwed". They get the nothing they were getting anyways or they get a late round draft pick.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• Hawknballs wrote:Not sure how any of this screws anyone.

If he wants to play again he'll need to be released or traded, and that's up to the Seahawks and how much compensation they think they may get for him.

Lynch wasn't/isn't going to play here again. That was done when he retired the first time. He's not going to unretire to come back to a team perceived to be on the 'decline' (media sentiment) with a poor line.

Not much to the story until something happens, but the idea that he's trying to "screw" the seahawks is a joke - if anything he's the one trying not to get screwed by a prohibitive contract.

Either the hawks get nothing or trade compensation. Either way they can't get "screwed". They get the nothing they were getting anyways or they get a late round draft pick.

The report of his wanting to come out of retirement and play for the Raiders came out one day after the Hawks signed Lacy. He waited for the Hawks to make a move before he let his intentions be known so the Hawks lose leverage in return compensation for trading him.

One day after!!! He could have done this anytime but......

One day after getting Lacy.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• I'm just not sure how that increases his 'leverage'.

Did it make the picture clearer? Certainly. Maybe for him. But with his contract and the fact that he was never going to play for Seattle again anyways, I'm not sure what sort of leverage he gained. The Seahawks were moving on without him regardless.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• Hawknballs wrote:I'm just not sure how that increases his 'leverage'.

Did it make the picture clearer? Certainly. Maybe for him. But with his contract and the fact that he was never going to play for Seattle again anyways, I'm not sure what sort of leverage he gained. The Seahawks were moving on without him regardless.

Not his leverage increasing but the Hawks in receiving compensation decreasing.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• He wasn't the same in 2015 because our offensive line sucked. He was hurt because we couldn't block for him. If we are able to trade him for anything that we can use to bolster the pile of poop Pete calls an offensive line then by all means do it.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:14 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information