What the Seahawks have Done (pre Draft)

Largent80

Reaction score
The Hawks have enabled themselves in free agency to address positions in the draft that they may not have before.

They can actually add depth now at several positions due to the diligence paid to FA and even some of our own RFA's, and UFA's. Great job by J.S. to sign some of these guys back, and unearth a couple O-Line guys.

We are going to be able to take BPA in the draft because of this.

sdog1981

Reaction score
With a ton of one-year deals, it feels like the team is going to cut/trade a key player next season. Almost as if they are going to give this set of players one final go at it. I think after last season the only players that can be counted on for the next decade are Thomas and Wilson.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Wagner, Clark, Britt, and Baldwin all have a good 5 years.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Largent80":33i92aps said:
The Hawks have enabled themselves in free agency to address positions in the draft that they may not have before.

They can actually add depth now at several positions due to the diligence paid to FA and even some of our own RFA's, and UFA's. Great job by J.S. to sign some of these guys back, and unearth a couple O-Line guys.

I disagree only slightly. Not sure they are going to go solely with BPA.
I think they are going to draft a lot of defense, see secondary (CB2, and depth) and more DL.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":20jjm6za said:
Largent80":20jjm6za said:

I think they are going to draft a lot of defense, see secondary (CB2, and depth) and more DL.

Schneider in an interview this winter admitted that our draft board is rated in large by needs. So I agree that it is a modified version of BPA with higher grade given based on needs. So we do not draft true to the best player available by definition.

chris98251

Reaction score
Offense

O line - Handled in FA and a year of growth, we won't draft O line with such a thin draft of good talent now.

RB - Handled with Lacy and dare I say the Rumor of Lynch and also getting all our backs back plus some (10) healthy by camp.

WR - Were stacked already

TE - Were set with Willson back and everyone healthy.

QB - Appears were happy, Wilson a given, Boykin showed promise and now has a year under his belt in the system and I am sure has been working on things. The fact we are not looking at the FA is a indicator as well.

FB - I really hope they bring back Reese, this is the one spot on offense that needs to get done yet.

Defense

Our biggest needs across the board are here for what is suppose to be our strength.

D line - Need interior run/rusher to push the pocket and collapse it, Mebane is missed much more then we realize. Maybe some of the Red Shirt guys can fill this, but FA late as in June cuts and Draft and hopefully guys healthy can fix this, we may take two guys here in the Draft since it is suppose to be strong for the interior line guys.

Edge Rusher, Avril and Clark have done well, we need another in that rotation.

LB's - Wright and Wagner are our only locks, we need like 4 guys for depth and at least one starter opposite Wright. Morgan started there last year but I don't think that's was the plan.

FS - is Terrell the back up for Earl long term? He has 5 years in the league heading to hos 6th, I think we need someone here that isn't drop off, One pick at least.

SS - Again Kam is at the age where wear and tear show up, 28 years old for an aggressive player is getting to the edge of their career before the dive of health or ability starts to take over. Need one pick here for his replacement I think also

CB's - Face it our CB depth is now great, our starters are in question with injuries and age creeping up on them. Were at a point where we need like three guys right away, RCB, Slot, and primary dime guy heir apparent for Sherman, Sherman still has ability, but he was never a burner and worked off smarts and being physical, age is going to take away more speed and that knee may bite him again at some point since I have not heard about anything surgical done.

So I see like 12 picks we should make and well, we don't have that many, June cuts and maybe another signing somewhere still will have to be the key. Also some of those injured red shirt guys may step up I hope, but suffice it to say our defense is in bad shape if we get a domino effect injury bug again.

So I think we have 7 picks starting out, we may be able to fill holes but unless were lucky with cuts in June were still going to have questions post draft.

kf3339

Reaction score
chris98251":1bhymlrl said:
Offense

O line - Handled in FA and a year of growth, we won't draft O line with such a thin draft of good talent now.

RB - Handled with Lacy and dare I say the Rumor of Lynch and also getting all our backs back plus some (10) healthy by camp.

WR - Were stacked already

TE - Were set with Willson back and everyone healthy.

QB - Appears were happy, Wilson a given, Boykin showed promise and now has a year under his belt in the system and I am sure has been working on things. The fact we are not looking at the FA is a indicator as well.

FB - I really hope they bring back Reese, this is the one spot on offense that needs to get done yet.

Defense

Our biggest needs across the board are here for what is suppose to be our strength.

D line - Need interior run/rusher to push the pocket and collapse it, Mebane is missed much more then we realize. Maybe some of the Red Shirt guys can fill this, but FA late as in June cuts and Draft and hopefully guys healthy can fix this, we may take two guys here in the Draft since it is suppose to be strong for the interior line guys.

Edge Rusher, Avril and Clark have done well, we need another in that rotation.

LB's - Wright and Wagner are our only locks, we need like 4 guys for depth and at least one starter opposite Wright. Morgan started there last year but I don't think that's was the plan.

FS - is Terrell the back up for Earl long term? He has 5 years in the league heading to hos 6th, I think we need someone here that isn't drop off, One pick at least.

SS - Again Kam is at the age where wear and tear show up, 28 years old for an aggressive player is getting to the edge of their career before the dive of health or ability starts to take over. Need one pick here for his replacement I think also

CB's - Face it our CB depth is now great, our starters are in question with injuries and age creeping up on them. Were at a point where we need like three guys right away, RCB, Slot, and primary dime guy heir apparent for Sherman, Sherman still has ability, but he was never a burner and worked off smarts and being physical, age is going to take away more speed and that knee may bite him again at some point since I have not heard about anything surgical done.

So I see like 12 picks we should make and well, we don't have that many, June cuts and maybe another signing somewhere still will have to be the key. Also some of those injured red shirt guys may step up I hope, but suffice it to say our defense is in bad shape if we get a domino effect injury bug again.

So I think we have 7 picks starting out, we may be able to fill holes but unless were lucky with cuts in June were still going to have questions post draft.

This sounds about right. I too don't like throwing a really high draft pick on questionable O-Line draft picks. I also think very little is needed for the offense, with perhaps one mid to late pick on a T or G for depth and development only. We don't need another season of young, inexperienced rookies starting on our line again.

As for defense I would like to see at least 5-6 players drafted and 2-3 UDFA's make the team and bring a real hunger to prove themselves. That is what made this team to begin with under JS and PC. Hopefully, we could get two or three D starters this season from this class.

I also really hope Quinton Jefferson comes back completely healthy, and really ready to prove himself as an aggressive 3tech that provides the interior push you refer to above.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Chris for the most part nailed it. I do disagree about the OL. I do think if the right guy is there we won't completely ignore it. Although based on Robs metrics only a handful of guys this year fit the bill as opposed to last year when there were tons.

We clearly have holes to fill in the secondary at CB and this is the draft for it. I also think we may look to add replacements in this draft if it falls right. I'm looking at you Kam Chancellor. I also believe they will look to add a legit back up to Earl and if it works out to be his eventual replacement. I've also thought there is a possibility that they could look to go more athletic at SS.

Pete specifically mentioned LB being a place to add depth and not the SAM. I think KJ as well as he has played, could be a candidate to be pushed in an attempt to replace.

Those are just a few of my thoughts but I do agree that we do have flexibility to go BPA. Are we drafting a MLB or a QB if they are the BPA. No, that's not what I'm saying. If an Edge is sitting there and he is our highest rated player, I fully expect us to pounce on him while that is not one of our dire needs this year. I could see it happening at FS as well.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Check out my post a few threads down - tried to be pretty comprehensive about the Hawks' post-FA situation and needs.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The premise that the 1 yr deals are based upon releasing/trading a core player is arguable, but I believe is wrong. The tradability of comp. picks is a more likely reason.

This is a new age for player deals and long term deals are over except in rare cases.

Seafan

Reaction score
Seymour":2z76q60b said:
Sports Hernia":2z76q60b said:
Largent80":2z76q60b said:

Schneider in an interview this winter admitted that our draft board is rated in large by needs. So I agree that it is a modified version of BPA with higher grade given based on needs. So we do not draft true to the best player available by definition.

Carpenter and Britt were obviously not BPA.

All teams say they draft BPA and most of us realize it's just rhetoric.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
When I said BPA, I meant to the teams needs, and not just a player because he is good.

Obviously we could use some DB help and the draft has that this year. We shored up the RB spot and even though there are dozens of good ones we can use that pick on another area.

LB is going to be a draft pick.

Josea16

Reaction score
Largent80":1ttuq5ig said:
When I said BPA, I meant to the teams needs, and not just a player because he is good.

Obviously we could use some DB help and the draft has that this year. We shored up the RB spot and even though there are dozens of good ones we can use that pick on another area.

LB is going to be a draft pick.
I definitely agree we will draft an LB along with a CB and Safety. From there who knows? I have hopes and preferences but this FO is never predictable and never drafts the obvious.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Since I live fairly close to A & M I watched Daeshon Hall play some pretty good ball. He would be great at SAM I believe.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Largent80":1kf1gst7 said:

This is pretty much what they do every year. They bring in some free agents for the position(s) of need so that the draft is less desperate. They might still end up drafting their biggest position of need but they've at least brought in some more bodies to make it less imperative to spend a high draft pick in that area.

I would expect, for example, for the Hawks not to make a move up for one of the top 3 tackles. If one of them falls to them, maybe they take him, but even then it's not a guarantee.

Seymour

Reaction score
Seafan":3204wpmi said:
Seymour":3204wpmi said:
Sports Hernia":3204wpmi said:
Largent80":3204wpmi said:

Carpenter and Britt were obviously not BPA.

All teams say they draft BPA and most of us realize it's just rhetoric.

And neither was Ifedi. In fact PFF had him rated as a 6th round pick, and noted he would take min. 2 years to develop into starting quality (if at all). Fortunately for us, we have Cable who can turn that 2 years into NEVER.