Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Top 3 Areas needing improvement

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Top 3 Areas needing improvement
Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 pm
  • 1. Improve the running game.

2. Improve pass rush, especially up the middle

3. Coverages and communication in the secondary
    Last edited by Wenhawk on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Top 3 Improvement areas
Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:20 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:1. Improve the running game.

What you talkin' bout Willis?

Splain yourself a lil bit, por fa vor.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:46 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:1. Improve the running game.

Changed the title to help. Provide your thoughts on your top 3 areas we need to improve in 2017 to win it all.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Top 3 Areas needing improvement
Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:52 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:

Changed the title to help. Provide your thoughts on your top 3 areas we need to improve in 2017 to win it all.

Well, I like most, think the O-line should be a top priority.

I won't pretend that I have "thee" answer for the O-line. It's possible that another training camp will improve things but I'm not convinced.

The thing I find curious with your list is, you don't mention the O-line but place improve the running game @ #1.

Do you think we can improve the running game without doing something with the line?

I don't necessarily disagree with your list but I do think you've left a very important need off of it.

I also think having ETIII back will take care of your #3.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:46 pm
  • My thought is, if the team can run the ball well then our offense will roll. Fix the run game (OL, RB, FB, coaching/scheme) and we will control more of our games.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:22 am
  • `
    Wenhawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:

1. OL
    2. Run game
    3. Health

We get the run going and the TOP advantage game over, and the rest takes care of itself organically. Both the defense and offense are built to run downhill. That starts by being able to run the ball and control the clock and going for the deep strike when the opportunity presents itself. We definitely are trying to improve 1/2 though FA. Lucky for us number 4(reload the defense because Atlanta isn't going away and getting better on defense via Dontari Poe) is totally doable via this draft.

Kansas City isn't going to like how their defense is going to drop without Poe. But I don't care because I'm not a Chiefs fan and love when the AFC sucks especially the AFCW. Call me bitter and deal with it.:)
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:04 am
  • 1. Secondary coverage and communication - this will also be helped a lot with more pressure up front. The communication issue, in my mind, has to come from the DC, who I thought did a sub-par job last season. Also, the lack of depth, and the lack of playing time with our depth players leads to poor communication late in the season when they have to spot start, etc.

2. Pass protection

3. Run game

I'm deeply concerned with our depth in the secondary and on the DL. We need more pass rushers, both on the edges and from the DT's. Hopefully Quentin Jefferson can make some strides this TC, as he has a nice skill-set at the DT position. Having one or two rotational players on the edge or from the LEO will help immeasurably. I'm not a big Cassius Marsh fan, he continues to do dumb things whenever he gets a chance to make a play. Other than that, he's always a step behind.

Backup safety (for Earl) is a big need. Drafting someone now who can get some playing time in certain situations, and take over when Earl decides to hang it up, is a must. I'm not much of a talent evaluator, but guys like Melifonwu, Maye, Josh Jones, Eddie Jackson, Fabian Moreau all look like studs who can instinctively cover ground and make plays, and a couple of those guys could handle the SS position as well.
    RockinHawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:15 pm
  • 1. Improve TD to FG ratio in the redzone. 7s not 3s
    2. Increase plus turnover differential. Preferably +10 to +25.
    3. Get at least 1 serviceable Tackle (preferably left).
    3b. Increased Oline cohesiveness (could happen if #3 is in effect)
    Adopt a rookie 2017-Delano Hall, S, Michigan

seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:50 pm
  • The running game.

Depth at safety.

Depth at CB.

Depth at LB.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:35 am
  • SAM linebacker play. It's obvious since Irvin left.

Our safety depth is now basically gone.

A starting CB.

The incredibly obvious O-Line.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:11 am
  • 1. Run Game (although that could encompass RB or OL upgrades)

2. Secondary. We've been struggling since Maxwell left. We need the #2 CB position locked down. Also need to add quality at Safety. The defensive numbers when one or more of Thomas/Chancellor/Sherman are out of the lineup is staggering. We go from top 3 defense to middle 10 defense or worse. And we should expect availability of all those three to continue to be in question as they age and wear. Next man up theory doesn't and hasn't applied for two years running.

3. Cap turnover talent. This run in the next 5 seasons is going to be fueled by predrafting ahead of need. 2018 is going to see us say goodbye to a lot of quality players. Whether that's 2-3 starters, or 5-6 is going to depend on what we get in the talent pipeline this year.

2018 UFA:

Big deals (figure one or two are retained):

Britt
    Graham
    Chancellor
    Joeckel

Smaller deals (figure 3 are retained):

Richardson
    Willson
    Rawls
    Gilliam
    Marsh

2019:

Big deals (probably two to three retained)

Avril
    Thomas
    Wright
    Sherman
    Clark
    Lockett

Smaller deals (2-4 retained)

Fant
    McEvoy
    Elliott
    Glowinski
    Kearse

and any 1 year rentals signed in 2018

It's pretty obvious that Seattle has to start reloading now. Not only to allow for development. But also to be able to assess whether or not the ones we picked are going to work out.

We're not merely in a 'what do we need today' phase of the roster. We're now squarely in a sustainability phase. The draft is about the future, not about today.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:01 pm
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    It's pretty obvious that Seattle has to start reloading now. Not only to allow for development. But also to be able to assess whether or not the ones we picked are going to work out.

We're not merely in a 'what do we need today' phase of the roster. We're now squarely in a sustainability phase. The draft is about the future, not about today.

Thanks for bringing this up, one of the reasons I'm thinking we are trading down to get extra draft picks. Not going to get my heart set on anyone in the draft. Was really hoping for Obi Melifonwu though.
    Adopt a rookie 2017-Delano Hall, S, Michigan

seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:29 pm
  • 1) More frequently scoring more points than the other team.
    2) More games broadcast in the Denver area
    3) More screen time for the Sea Gals
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:50 pm
  • Oline- especially pass protection
    dline
    depth
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:34 pm
  • Just one area needs to improve.

Our Superbowl record of 1-2.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:01 pm
  • 1. Pass blocking
    2. Run blocking
    3. Special teams blocking
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:24 pm

This

If we could run the ball with some proficiency, our passing game will come alive. If our pass rush improves, that would take pressure off the backfield.
    toffee
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:37 am
  • HawkGA wrote:1) More frequently scoring more points than the other team.

Ding ding ding!
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:42 am

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:57 am
  • ivotuk wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:1) More frequently scoring more points than the other team.

Ding ding ding!

Nope, the commish wants these games played faster. No time for frivolous chest ogling of the SeaGals by us TV viewers. I'm telling you, he wants games in 4 Sunday time slots instead of 3.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:16 pm
  • 1. Offensive line push for the run game. Need to dictate the pace of games better.

2. Interior D-line push. Need to consider adding a right defensive end in the form similar to Chris Clemmons. Have Bennett push and roam the interior. Add a backup run D-Tackle at times we were vulnerable last year.

3. Take a ways. Need to be aggressive. We looked too safe last year. Teams really didn't have a reason to fear us, and for good reason. Part of the reason could have been injuries, but Shead looked like a safety playing corner. Solid, but not imposing. With healthy safeties we need to be more aggressive.

Wildcard. LB depth. Coyle is gone, but KPL also needs to go. We need ballers. Tough, physical, instective - with quickness.
    "You don't always get to play playoff games at home, or conference championships at home, or superbowls at home. You have to have the mindset that you can play to your potential wherever you are." - Pete Carroll
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:32 pm
  • 1 oline
    2 oline
    3 reinforce competitive environment (with youth)
    joeshaney
    NET Starter

Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:23 am
  • 1) O-Line - As stated by most everyone, no great depth of detail needed here. 2 solid NFL caliber starters in Britt at C and Joekel at G or T. If Iefedi or Glowinski continue to improve, maybe 3 solid starters on the roster for 5 slots. I expect at least 2 draft picks spent on the O-line. Missing 2 NFL caliber starters and solid depth for injury.

2) D-Line - Some have mentioned this as well. Last year, I saw less of an issue with CB and LB play as I did a lack of ability to collapse the pocket and make the opposing QB uncomfortable. Improved interior pass rush makes the LB's and CB's much more proficient in terms of ending the play more quickly. A stellar D-line masks other ills and shortcomings on a defense. I expect 2 draft picks on D-line, potentially both on the interior. My disclaimer for what I am about to say is that I know these are generational type talents, but a Cortez Kennedy clone or a Randle or Suh in their prime type interior D lineman would do wonders for the defense. Guys who can stop the run and collapse the pocket / apply pressure. I think that is the biggest bang for the buck if that guy is out there. No idea if that players exists in the draft, and I realize they are rare, but that would be huge and might be the "secret sauce" here.

3) Depth - Multiple areas throughout the roster with suspect depth. I think the LB concerns have been well addressed the last couple weeks. I'd imagine a late round LB coming onboard as well as some undrafted LB talent. Could certainly envision at least one low to mid round CB drafted as well plus undrafted talent.

Headed into the drat with 7 picks (3 - third rounders), and a few starting holes, and multiple depth needs, I expect the Hawks to trade down two to three times to stockpile picks and come out of draft weekend with 10 draft picks and then do their usual gem hunting on the undrafted list. I liked the approach of filling the LB depth and RB issue via free agency in order to spend those critical draft picks on the core areas of need - O-line and D-line. By solidifying "cheaper" or FA value areas, they can use picks to fill more expensive (in terms of free agency) spots like O-line. We all see what O-line costs to upgrade via free agency, makes sense they'd bargain shop sub prime (in terms of spend) to fill holes and then use draft picks on premium positions - LT, RT, DT, DE, etc.
    SeahawksEast
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:26 am
  • I also agree with the OP on the three need areas.

Personally, I am really hoping that Quinton Jefferson can make a major impact as a 3tech DT this season. He started showing some real promise before getting injured and on IR. So if he can come back strong, and really take command of that weak spot in the interior pass rushing I would be thrilled! :irishdrinkers:
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:07 pm
  • 1. Oline
    2. Dline
    3. Coaching
    nash72
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:48 pm
  • RW performance. He had his worst season as a Hawk last year. Many reasons why of course, some not his fault.

I'd put that up there along with your three already listed.
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:14 am
  • #1) Turnovers
    1000 reasons why we were not effective turning the ball over this last season....but this is where the rubber meets the road for Seahawk football to be played...Do better!

#2) Redzone
    ....ah.... time to but a game plan together that......... 'doesn't include a fade to kearse'...... our stats getting to the redzone is decent...however from that point on its cringeworthly......inexcusable: git'er done this isn't baseball.

#3) See #1 and #2.
    modernman
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:44 am
  • 1. O-line

2. Turnovers

3. 3rd down efficiency on the defensive side of the ball. I watched too many good QB's pick apart our defense on 3rd down last year. Our cover 3 has become to predictable and easy to pick apart if we don't get pressure on good QB's. So I guess you could also say #3 is interior pressure.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:48 am
  • I see "turnovers" on here a bit. How does the team get back to creating more of them? Is it a secondary issue or a lack of pressure up front?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:55 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I see "turnovers" on here a bit. How does the team get back to creating more of them? Is it a secondary issue or a lack of pressure up front?

#1 is Pressure up front that forces poor QB decisions IMO. Also I think #2 is we are optioning less press coverage that helps disrupt route timing.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:57 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:I see "turnovers" on here a bit. How does the team get back to creating more of them? Is it a secondary issue or a lack of pressure up front?

#1 is Pressure up front that forces poor QB decisions IMO. Also I think #2 is we are optioning less press coverage that helps disrupt route timing.

Less press coverage a personnel thing?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:06 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:I see "turnovers" on here a bit. How does the team get back to creating more of them? Is it a secondary issue or a lack of pressure up front?

Less press coverage a personnel thing?

I have to hope that it is more a personnel issue than a Chris Richard thing myself....but not certain.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:14 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I see "turnovers" on here a bit. How does the team get back to creating more of them? Is it a secondary issue or a lack of pressure up front?

Good question.

In general, turnovers happen because of two reasons.

1. Pressure on the QB causing poor throws, QB strip sacks and fumbles.
    2. Ball hawking, ripping, hitting and general aggressiveness creating fumbles.

I still saw us doing a lot of #2 last year, Carroll teams have always been good at #2, big emphasis on attacking the ball. It's #1 where we've lost our way, especially the interior pressure on the QB causing poor throws and hits. Even the edge pass rush tailed off towards the end of the year.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:18 am

Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:52 pm
  • Need pressure to hurry throws.

Need press or disguised coverage's in the secondary to fool QB's, we do neither especially with Richard last year limited press and deep soft zone, protects the deep ball but because your playing off your not on the ball. Tackles and strips are less also since players are off and the receiver has time to adjust, run out of bounds or go down once he makes his catch.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:14 pm
  • In the take away department of the all important caustic ratio .........

Bradley McDougald and Pierre Desir are two natural receivers/interceptors that have been added for the 2017 campaign.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:33 pm
  • Jville wrote:In the take away department of the all important caustic ratio .........

Bradley McDougald and Pierre Desir are two natural receivers/interceptors that have been added for the 2017 campaign.

You can only intercept the ball if your are playing on the receiver, not ten yards off.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:38 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Jville wrote:In the take away department of the all important caustic ratio .........

You can only intercept the ball if your are playing on the receiver, not ten yards off.

Upgrades open up expanded options for 2017. What happen in 2016 is ....... history.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:48 pm

Addressing the interior pass rush improves the secondary.

We have addressed OL in FA as well as it should improve with experience and continuity.

Still need to add more talent in the secondary.
    Last edited by Wenhawk on Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:49 pm
  • Part of me expected to open the thread and see:

1. Offensive Coordinator

2. Scouting Director

3. Offensive Line

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:16 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:

We have addressed OL in FA as well as it should improve with experience and continuity.

None of that matters if we have no QB.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:18 pm
  • brimsalabim wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:

None of that matters if we have no QB.

i think Jockel is going to be a big improvement for us. The RG from Houston is also a good addition. Our OL is better than last year.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:40 pm
  • 1. Offensive line
    2. Offensive line coach
    3. Assistant head coach

tldr: screw tom cable
    Vpk0718
    NET Starter

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:54 pm
  • SeahawksEast wrote:1) O-Line - As stated by most everyone, no great depth of detail needed here. 2 solid NFL caliber starters in Britt at C and Joekel at G or T. If Iefedi or Glowinski continue to improve, maybe 3 solid starters on the roster for 5 slots. I expect at least 2 draft picks spent on the O-line. Missing 2 NFL caliber starters and solid depth for injury.
    Ethan Pocic has basically been leading the successful LSU OL for the last 3 years. The versatility will allow him to be in their best 5 motto. I think he has a better shot than Glow and Oday Aboushi. but where do they see him at?
    1. Britt
    2. Ifedi
    3. Jockel
    4. Pocic
    5. Aboushi
    6. Fant
    7. Glow
    8. Odhiambo
    9. Hunt

What position does he end up in....there's a chance at LT? Fant was the worst/tie for worst with Gilliam, no denying his potential. Moving Ifedi to RT will be a upgrade there. RG becomes a hole that Aboushi, Glow, and Odhiambo better for. The LG is Jockel's and maybe Pocic takes 2nd team snap at. Fant vs Pocic for our LT. by preason game 2 they need to know who the 5 are and stick to it.
    I don't think we need another OL.

2) D-Line - Some have mentioned this as well. Last year, I saw less of an issue with CB and LB play as I did a lack of ability to collapse the pocket and make the opposing QB uncomfortable. Improved interior pass rush makes the LB's and CB's much more proficient in terms of ending the play more quickly. A stellar D-line masks other ills and shortcomings on a defense. I expect 2 draft picks on D-line, potentially both on the interior. My disclaimer for what I am about to say is that I know these are generational type talents, but a Cortez Kennedy clone or a Randle or Suh in their prime type interior D lineman would do wonders for the defense. Guys who can stop the run and collapse the pocket / apply pressure. I think that is the biggest bang for the buck if that guy is out there. No idea if that players exists in the draft, and I realize they are rare, but that would be huge and might be the "secret sauce" here.

We might have found just that. One of the reasons why Malik McDowell was a player I really like is because he could be our Gerald McCoy or Aaron Donald.

Nazair Jones is a very interesting prospect. It looks like he is a very powerful man that could get push and cause some disruption. I saw a few big plays by Reed last year but he didn't burst onto the scene. I this this is a guy that could stand our early and will be able to push around 2nd and 3rd string OL.

I am now satisfied with our interior rush. Thank you John Schneider :2thumbs:

With newfound faith in our going to be greatly improved interior rush we should see an increase in INT's this year.

The secondary has also been heavily addressed. The 2 young versatile DB's plus the signing of Bradley McDougald we should see an improved run support without sacrificing speed in 4-2-5 formations.

3) Depth - Multiple areas throughout the roster with suspect depth. I think the LB concerns have been well addressed the last couple weeks. I'd imagine a late round LB coming onboard as well as some undrafted LB talent. Could certainly envision at least one low to mid round CB drafted as well plus undrafted talent.

Headed into the drat with 7 picks (3 - third rounders), and a few starting holes, and multiple depth needs, I expect the Hawks to trade down two to three times to stockpile picks and come out of draft weekend with 10 draft picks and then do their usual gem hunting on the undrafted list. I liked the approach of filling the LB depth and RB issue via free agency in order to spend those critical draft picks on the core areas of need - O-line and D-line. By solidifying "cheaper" or FA value areas, they can use picks to fill more expensive (in terms of free agency) spots like O-line. We all see what O-line costs to upgrade via free agency, makes sense they'd bargain shop sub prime (in terms of spend) to fill holes and then use draft picks on premium positions - LT, RT, DT, DE, etc.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 5:10 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information