Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Another rule change aimed at the Seahawks

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• It's not like the league hasn't seen it before. Polumalu famously did it when he was still around
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Arians is the biggest cry baby coach. Way worse than Harbaugh was.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• When a Patriot (McClellin) did it, that unfortunately probably sealed the fate of the play.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• The league would be stupid to ban this play. It's exciting. They moved the extra points back to make them more exciting, why not allow this. It's like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Yeah not sure why the NFLPA would be spearheading this rule change. Maybe they think players might get injured? idk, weird.

In general the league doesn't like unintended player end arounds on rule changes, and players taking advantage of the new extra point moved back allowing them to jump the line probably isn't sitting well me thinks.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Perhaps coaches are starting to direct players to do it and some players feel that it endangers them and have requested the NFLPA to represent that view to management. That seems plausible. It may be an exciting play but if the players deem it overly risky to their career than that is their right.
    HawkerD
    NET Starter

• HawkerD wrote:Perhaps coaches are starting to direct players to do it and some players feel that it endangers them and have requested the NFLPA to represent that view to management. That seems plausible. It may be an exciting play but if the players deem it overly risky to their career than that is their right.

Also, the NFLPA is also trying to protect kickers and long snappers.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• They should just simplify it while making it safer..........just send the kicker out with a tee and kick it thru while everybody else takes a break.. :stirthepot:
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• It's an absolutely ridiculous move, has nothing to do with football, and is going to cause serious injuries to young players. As soon as multiple guys started doing it, it had to be banned, justly.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• I'll bet more players have been injured celebrating TDs than jumping over a center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    90% Disabled Veteran
    100% Love for the USA!
    KPA
    NET Starter

• If this is to protect from player injury you would have to think it's the kicker being protected, not the guy leaping.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Seahwkgal wrote:Arians is the biggest cry baby coach. Way worse than Harbaugh was.

Someone should tap douchebag Arians on one of his fat neck rolls and whisper in his ear that he......can just do it too.........it's called coaching instead of crying.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• After listening to Collinsworth and Michaels piss and moan about Bobby doing that while a Cardinal reached up and touched Wagner, it sort of sealed the fate of that play as well.
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:If this is to protect from player injury you would have to think it's the kicker being protected, not the guy leaping.

It's not. A rash of young kids came up with injuries this year, a high schooler got paralyzed. I personally saw a kid try and lay on the field for ten minutes. Luckily just tore muscles and hurt a nerve.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• I would imagine it is to protect both players involved. The player jumping and the player he is jumping over.

They recently banned players from lining up directly on top of the snapper on kicks to protect him so banning players from jumping right over him makes sense.
    fridayfrenzy
    NET Starter

• Tical21 wrote:It's an absolutely ridiculous move, has nothing to do with football.

How does it have nothing to do with football?
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:If this is to protect from player injury you would have to think it's the kicker being protected, not the guy leaping.

It's not. A rash of young kids came up with injuries this year, a high schooler got paralyzed. I personally saw a kid try and lay on the field for ten minutes. Luckily just tore muscles and hurt a nerve.

Then they should ban it at the lower levels. Banning a play in the NFL because kids in high school are getting hurt makes little to no sense. There's a lot of things kids in High School can do/get away with that the league has banned because at that higher level, with bigger and stronger athletes, guys get hurt while younger athletes don't have the same injury.

I don't see people getting hurt in the NFL with it, and it takes a special athlete to even attempt it, which is why it's attempted so little. If you mess up and touch the guy too much, they'll flag you and then the offense either gets a 1st down or a closer FG/PAT attempt.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Seahwkgal wrote:Arians is the biggest cry baby coach. Way worse than Harbaugh was.

His vaunted offense is falling apart around him and there are no realistic QB options for him once a failing Palmer hangs them up. He's going to be crying a lot more this year to compensate.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Hawkpower wrote:
    Seahwkgal wrote:Arians is the biggest cry baby coach. Way worse than Harbaugh was.

Someone should tap douchebag Arians on one of his fat neck rolls and whisper in his ear that he......can just do it too.........it's called coaching instead of crying.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

• kobebryant wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:It's an absolutely ridiculous move, has nothing to do with football.

"Okay, you're a high jumper right? See that guy in the middle snapping the ball. He's got to have his head down. Now, you can't line up in front of him because they've banned that, but if you get really close, right off the side, see that little gap next to him, if you just line up there, now and watch how they snap for field goals, time is just right, and try to jump over the guy. Now, you can't touch him, because remember that rule we made to protect him? So, if you do this just right, there is nothing the offense can do by rule to stop you, so we're home free. All you have to do is jump really high and time it right."
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:
    Seahwkgal wrote:Arians is the biggest cry baby coach. Way worse than Harbaugh was.

:laugh:
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• Tical21 wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:It's an absolutely ridiculous move, has nothing to do with football.

"Okay, you're a high jumper right? See that guy in the middle snapping the ball. He's got to have his head down. Now, you can't line up in front of him because they've banned that, but if you get really close, right off the side, see that little gap next to him, if you just line up there, now and watch how they snap for field goals, time is just right, and try to jump over the guy. Now, you can't touch him, because remember that rule we made to protect him? So, if you do this just right, there is nothing the offense can do by rule to stop you, so we're home free. All you have to do is jump really high and time it right."

hahaha I like it. I'd argue that exploiting vulnerabilities, jumping "really high", and timing are very much part of football. Nonetheless, kudos.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• I hope they don't make a rule against it as I find it an exciting element of the game. And couldn't the kicking team just line up a player 2 yards behind guard to thwart this type of pressure. Imagine Tuku waiting for someone to come over the top like that.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

• kobebryant wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:

hahaha I like it. I'd argue that exploiting vulnerabilities, jumping "really high", and timing are very much part of football. Nonetheless, kudos.

You would be absolutely correct. Attempting to block a FG has everything to do with football and to say otherwise is just absurd.

And as has already been said, if a bunch of young kids are getting hurt attempting this, then maybe that should be addressed. I don't know, but I do know that's a different discussion entirely. This discussion is about grown men getting handsomely compensated for playing professional football at the highest level.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• So we really want to see guys try to jump over the line on all the extra point and fg attempts? A couple get blocked a game? A couple guys get hurt per game? The offense can't do anything to prevent it? Seems like exciting football to me.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:So we really want to see guys try to jump over the line on all the extra point and fg attempts? A couple get blocked a game? A couple guys get hurt per game? The offense can't do anything to prevent it? Seems like exciting football to me.

Or maybe things continue on as they did last season when this was attempted pretty rarely and was successful even more rarely, but was generally awfully exciting when it happened at least in part because it was pretty rare.

Also, your "A couple guys get hurt per game?" comment is pretty silly. For one, it's obviously hyperbole, not banning this isn't going to result in a couple guys getting hurt per game. If it did, coaches and players would stop doing it awfully quickly. Second, we're talking about professional football. This doesn't strike me as any more dangerous than a lot of other things that are common place in football and happen a hundred times every Sunday.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• As stated it is rare, you have to have a guy that is athletic enough to clear the O line and fast enough to do it we had two guys, Kam and Wagner try it and rarely since you have to have the right situation, along with the combination of how they protect on Field Goals and extra points.

The are treating this like a like every kick off is an Onside Kick on every Kick off, it isn't, in fact collisions on onside kicks are probably more dangerous.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Arians made an idiot out of himself when he showed everyone via a prime time national TV audience that he didn't know the rules regarding this play. Now that he understands the rule, he wants to change it to what he thought it was. That's like walking out of the bathroom with your fly unzipped then trying to make it acceptable attire.

The reason the rule was instituted was to protect players from injury. If they're going to change the rule prohibiting hurdling a player that's in a stationary position, then they might as well ban ball carriers from hurdling tacklers that are in motion.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information