Film study on Joekel

RussB

Reaction score
Came across this on YT. I didnt watch many jags games or joekel at all . So i wanted to finally see what they hawks are getting. I had low expectations but i have to say i am pleasantly surprised by this tape. Joekel actually seems solid from what i saw here and is an upgrade no doubt. I think alot of people over exagerrated how bad he is.
[youtube]hlG7MoY1acg[/youtube]
He looks good in pass pro and also looks good against stunts which destroyed the seahawks last year. Check it out.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
It looks like he gets pushed around a lot too easily. Also the video replayed a few of the same clips.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Very good find, RussB.
Since he's likely going to find his home at left guard, as the author hypothesizes, I like how he handles stunts and misdirection ploys by the defense. That maintaining of your gap area in our zone blocking scheme is crucial for Russ' preservation and a glaring problem last year. It also looks like he's good at sealing the back end while run blocking. I understand this is just a 5-minute clip, but it offers up encouragement.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":3ql78uiv said:
It looks like he gets pushed around a lot too easily. Also the video replayed a few of the same clips.
I think its just a technique issue, he has all the physical tools. I do agree he did get bum rushed a couple plays but he also did very well in others. Hes already better than anything we had at left tackle. Hes not Tyron Smith caliber but an upgrade nonetheless.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1s70sutn said:
Very good find, RussB.
Since he's likely going to find his home at left guard, as the author hypothesizes, I like how he handles stunts and misdirection ploys by the defense. That maintaining of your gap area in our zone blocking scheme is crucial for Russ' preservation and a glaring problem last year. It also looks like he's good at sealing the back end while run blocking. I understand this is just a 5-minute clip, but it offers up encouragement.
I hope he plays tackle but thats just me. Gaurd would also be solid though.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
RussB":luo1uhgu said:
Seahawk_Dan":luo1uhgu said:
I think its just a technique issue, he has all the physical tools. I do agree he did get bum rushed a couple plays but he also did very well in others. Hes already better than anything we had at left tackle. Hes not Tyron Smith caliber but an upgrade nonetheless.

Granted, I'll give you that as it really maybe technique and coaching down in Jacksonville. That team doesn't inspire a lot of confidence when it comes to honing the talent on that team, except for a handful a players of course. I hope we keep him at LT or RT and he works out there. I think as it stands with LG and RG with Ifedi and Glow we're fine, we just need those tackle spots shored up on and get Gilliam as far away as possible and keep Fant hitting the books on how to play tackle.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
He's going to be able to compete at LT, IMO, and he'll likely win the job. Don't be surprised if that's the only change to the OL.

My main concern is the same as the last 2 years in that they keep said competition going until the day before week 1 and the OL as a whole doesn't know how to play as a unit. It's ridiculous.

Madrid Hawk

Reaction score
He gets pushed back, but he doesn't seem to get blown past. Those extra few fractions of a second can make a big difference.

Seymour

Reaction score
vin.couve12":o0he144v said:
He's going to be able to compete at LT, IMO, and he'll likely win the job. Don't be surprised if that's the only change to the OL.

My main concern is the same as the last 2 years in that they keep said competition going until the day before week 1 and the OL as a whole doesn't know how to play as a unit. It's ridiculous.

Week 1? They keep competition going and swapping players and positions up past week 8. Cable doesn't seem to be able to pick his best players (or even tell crap from OK), until there is some game film, or QB is injured, or looking at scoreboard to tell there is a problem that needs to be resolved.

ivotuk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":q52wkeii said:

This. So much this

HawkGA

Reaction score
Can't wait to watch the video (in a meeting at the moment!). I was starting to think last night if we wouldn't see Joeckel taking the LG spot, Glow moving to RG, and Ifedi kicking outside.

Largent80

Reaction score
The problem is that if you take Glownski out you are actually messing up his progression and line continuity. To me Joke needs to unseat someone by his play.

He looks underwhelming to my eye.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He's instantly the second best lineman on the team. This is a good thing.

getnasty

Reaction score
Put him at tackle and let Fant be waiting until he gets hurt.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Couple of Seahawk twitter guys broke down some film and said he was night and day improvement from what we had last year. I agree with the above poster that he's the 2nd best lineman on the roster day 1 and can pick up a stunt. That alone will help tremendously. He's starting somewhere and my guess is left tackle.

Tical21

Reaction score
austinslater25":6i23o69k said:
Couple of Seahawk twitter guys broke down some film and said he was night and day improvement from what we had last year. I agree with the above poster that he's the 2nd best lineman on the roster day 1 and can pick up a stunt. That alone will help tremendously. He's starting somewhere and my guess is left tackle.
Sofffffftttt.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Largent80":ufxabzep said:
The problem is that if you take Glownski out you are actually messing up his progression and line continuity. To me Joke needs to unseat someone by his play.

Yea i think they should keep glowinski in. Joekel should be the tackle and should be competing for that spot. Glow can stay sere he is and continue learning and improving alongside britt.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Largent80":1xber15w said:

90 percent of NFL linemen are underwhelming. The thing is, joeckel cost damn near half of what the other guys did. I agree with the others, instant upgrade over 4 of the o linemen. Who knows, with a little luck and some coaching, this could work out they got a great deal. If not, he is gone in a year. Options are pretty limited.

Largent80

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":1a3j79zp said:
Largent80":1a3j79zp said:

90 percent of NFL linemen are underwhelming. The thing is, joeckel cost damn near half of what the other guys did.

The reason being he tore his knee in every way possible to tear a knee, and before that he was considered a BUST as a lineman. So, exactly, what did the Hawks buy?...An injured crap lineman?...It appears that way until proven otherwise.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He's a bust as a second overall pick not that he doesn't belong in the league. It's not even debatable he's an instant upgrade aost regardless where you put him. I can't figure out how anyone could be against him playing.