Article: Insider Gee Scott "What is Lynch's End Game?"

ivotuk

Reaction score
Gee Scott is growing up in the broadcast world. His professionalism has grown, and his points and opinions now seem legitimate and thought out, instead of designed to create a splash. I for one, am glad to see it as he adds something to what's available in the Seahawk's World. A more, down-to-earth, "players are just regular people" kind of vibe, and I really enjoy it.

I'm really happy to see him approach this from a fan's viewpoint, instead of playing it safe.

I'll toot my own horn a little bit and at the bottom, paste in here what I posted in another thread as to my opinion of what the end game is. However, after hearing Michael Robinson's comments, I'm not so sure.

insider Gee Scott has one lingering question: What is Lynch’s endgame?

Scott and fellow 710 ESPN Seattle host John Clayton examined Lynch’s potential motivation on Monday, days after Scott confirmed reports that Lynch visited Seahawks headquarters and told members of the team’s front office that he wants to return to the NFL, right around the same time a report came out that his hometown Oakland Raiders were interested in acquiring his rights from Seattle. And while Clayton dissected the issue from a more practical standpoint, Scott said he couldn’t help but view the situation as a fan – and as a slap in the face.

Marshawn Lynch is thinking "Raiders or bust," according to Seahawks insider Gee Scott. (AP)

With rumors rampant of Marshawn Lynch wanting to return to the NFL, Seahawks insider Gee Scott has one lingering question: What is Lynch’s endgame?

Scott and fellow 710 ESPN Seattle host John Clayton examined Lynch’s potential motivation on Monday, days after Scott confirmed reports that Lynch visited Seahawks headquarters and told members of the team’s front office that he wants to return to the NFL, right around the same time a report came out that his hometown Oakland Raiders were interested in acquiring his rights from Seattle. And while Clayton dissected the issue from a more practical standpoint, Scott said he couldn’t help but view the situation as a fan – and as a slap in the face.

“I’m a Seahawks fan, I’m a Marshawn Lynch fan. This is not how this story was supposed to end,” Scott said. “It wasn’t supposed to be a deal where Marshawn un-retires, comes back and says, ‘Hey, I want to go and play for another team.’”

“It still comes down to bottom line,” Clayton said. “How much is Marshawn going to ask the Raiders? This is more on the Raiders than it is anything else because I can’t envision him playing for cheap. Why would he do it?”

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/254589/ma ... h-endgame/

ivotuk wrote: "Marshawn loves being in the public eye. It's good business sense. If his name isn't out there, he's not selling Beast Mode Merchandise.

He's been on several TV shows, Diesel Brothers, Bear Grylls, the fish tank one to name 3. So if he wants to keep his Brand alive, and he just happens to be in Seattle supporting a charity event, all he needs to do is drop a few hints here and there, maybe call Gee Scott, then stop by the VMAC and say hello, and BOOM!! MARSHAWN LYNCH! BEAST MODE!

All over the internet. Smart
. :bow:"

Largent80

Reaction score
Im already tired of hearing about Lynch. Loved him as a seahawk but not so much anymore.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I don't begrudge him at all for wanting to play for someone else. He's not a Seattle native and we didn't draft him. If he ever owed us anything (which he didn't), he's already paid it in highlights, wins, and a trophy. If he wants to cap off his journey with his hometown, I say let him, though I wouldn't let his rights go for free.

If he comes back for Oakland and hits 10k career yards (needs 888), he'd be a lock for the Hall of Fame, and he'd go in as a Seahawk.

I say get a draft pick from Oakland and wish him luck.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Hawks did him a solid by not asking for the $5mil back.

If he wants to play cool, but pay $2.5mil back.

Largent80

Reaction score
The way I look at it is just get it over with, whatever it is that he is trying to do. I could care less if he plays again because it won't be for Seattle.

I would hope for the compensation involved.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Lynch has always been a little hypocritical when it came to his fame.

He certainly loved being "the man" having all the attention heaped on him from fellow players and fans, being on Conan, stuff like that.

But it was always on his terms. There is some hypocrisy there, not quite the "I just wanna stay in my lane I have social anxiety giving interviews" excuses he always used when he didn't feel like talking to the media or following the rules.

But I digress, what's his endgame? I think he still loves the game, loves the fame and thinks he can still be Beastmode running over fools. So in his mind he wants to come back and do that for his beloved hometown. What's wrong with that?

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":30sf9ljj said:

He certainly loved being "the man" having all the attention heaped on him from fellow players and fans, being on Conan, stuff like that.

But it was always on his terms. There is some hypocrisy there, not quite the "I just wanna stay in my lane I have social anxiety giving interviews" excuses he always used when he didn't feel like talking to the media or following the rules.

But I digress, what's his endgame? I think he still loves the game, loves the fame and thinks he can still be Beastmode running over fools. So in his mind he wants to come back and do that for his beloved hometown. What's wrong with that?

Pretty simple. He is still a Seahawk once he is re-instated and we are entitle to compensation. Especially since he kept bonus $$ that he never earned, and now wants to be paid from 2 different teams for the same season. That whole extension he signed turned out to be a VERY bad move for the team, and this makes matters worse.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1p05qo11 said:
Sgt. Largent":1p05qo11 said:

Pretty simple. He is still a Seahawk once he is re-instated and we are entitle to compensation. Especially since he kept bonus $$ that he never earned, and now wants to be paid from 2 different teams for the same season. That whole extension he signed turned out to be a VERY bad move for the team, and this makes matters worse.

Not positive, but I don't think it works like that. Once Lynch is released and picked up by the Raiders then we're off the hook for his salary. So he wouldn't be getting paid by two teams.

And I've said I'm fine with getting a draft pick, just don't think it would be more than a late rounder. So no reason to get all worked up over it if it helps facilitate him coming back.

I'd love to see him come back, he's good for the game. Even if he's on another team.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1lpe73m5 said:
Not positive, but I don't think it works like that. Once Lynch is released and picked up by the Raiders then we're off the hook for his salary. So he wouldn't be getting paid by two teams.

And I've said I'm fine with getting a draft pick, just don't think it would be more than a late rounder. So no reason to get all worked up over it if it helps facilitate him coming back.

I'd love to see him come back, he's good for the game. Even if he's on another team.

He still collected the bonus $$ for the last 2 seasons (that we could have gotten back had we wanted), and is now going to attempt to force our hand. He waited until after we signed Lacy to dig this up which forces us to release him (even though we may have anyway). This team gave him the 2nd chance and helped put him on the NFL map. I'm not liking how this is looking to stick it to us at this point personally. He also used the threat of retirement to get that huge pay raise in 2015...and we took it in the azz on that deal.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/565205835404414976[/tweet]

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Anyone who knows anything about Lynch knows how dedicated he is to the Oakland area. The Raiders are moving to Las Vegas, it seems, so this very well may be their last year in Oakland. I don't blame Lynch for wanting to be a part of it. It's his community, and it means a lot to him. The Raiders are a big part of the identity of the community.

It would be like growing up in Seattle, going to the University of Washington, and playing in the NFL anywhere but Seattle. Your dream would be to don the blues and play in front of your friends and family. It's understandable.

Not to mention it would instantly be the best-selling jersey in he NFL.

Passepartout

Reaction score
Heard that his agent says that the media blew this out of proportion. He does miss football. But not enough to come out of retirement to play.

Seafan

Reaction score
All of this "talk" is likely manufactured by Lynch's team in order to put his name in the spot light more. Smart business man. I wonder if his product sales have been soaring in Oakland lately.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Whatever his end-game, good for him. I hope he milks his celebrity and gets the most out of it then pores it into community-building causes in Oakland.

Repeat after me, Gee, "He doesn't owe us anything."

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":9idetwzc said:
Anyone who knows anything about Lynch knows how dedicated he is to the Oakland area. The Raiders are moving to Las Vegas, it seems, so this very well may be their last year in Oakland. I don't blame Lynch for wanting to be a part of it. It's his community, and it means a lot to him. The Raiders are a big part of the identity of the community.

It would be like growing up in Seattle, going to the University of Washington, and playing in the NFL anywhere but Seattle. Your dream would be to don the blues and play in front of your friends and family. It's understandable.

Not to mention it would instantly be the best-selling jersey in he NFL.

He does so much for his community, AND he does a LOT for Seattle area, and player charities. So I find it hard to begrudge him anything. I have mixed emotions though, which is only expected since I am a Seahawks fan.

My only stipulations would be for Seattle to get compensation, which they deserve after paying him beyond what they owed, and that he comes back to Seattle and signs a 1 day contract when he retires for good so that he goes out as a Seahawk.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score

DJrmb

Reaction score
This is an interesting development...

The Boston Herald's Jeff Howe reports Marshawn Lynch has "privately expressed interest" in playing for the Patriots "if talks break off with the Raiders."
Talks between Lynch and the Raiders seem to not have much movement to them, though we would expect negotiations to pick up as we draw nearer to the draft. It's possible Lynch is floating the Patriots idea out to the media as a way to get the Raiders moving with this. It sounds like Lynch fully plans to make a comeback. He just needs he Raiders and coach Jack Del Rio to sign off on it. Apr 10 - 12:57 PM
Source: Jeff Howe on Twitter
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4186/marshawn-lynch

If Lynch is open to playing for more than just the Raiders that opens things up a little bit...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Always cracks me up with reports say things like "privately expressed............"

If Lynch said it privately, then it would stay private. What he means to do is act like it's private to not piss off the Raiders.........but publicly enough so the word gets out, thus creating leverage.