2017 to be Pete Carroll's Get It Done or Move On Season?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
There's a great thread in here (1 Year FA philosophy - risky? ) that hints at an organization preparing for a "one more time" mentality on the part of the organization before potentially top to bottom changes are made after 2017 if things don't go as well as hoped.

I speculated before the end of last season that PC might have one foot out the door already. Yes, I know his contract has him here thru the 2019 season when he would be pushing up hard against 70 years of age but the moves this off-season give at least some suggestion of a "get it down now" mentality by Seahawks' management.

Just a feeling. Feel free to disregard, but I'm sticking with my earlier sense that Pete was real tired last season and downright exhausted by the end of it. Coaching this version of the Hawks has become a daunting task given its growing list of shortcomings.

If we have a 2017 that's as bad or worse than 2016, I do think Pete will be giving serious consideration to moving that other foot out the door.

The other side of things is if RW shows up to camp healthy, lean, fast, and ready (as I think he will be) we get the O-Line disaster at least somewhat mitigated, the offensive scheme pulls its head out of its ass and learns to better utilize the enormous talent that is Graham, we have a running game that is more consistent game in and game out, and a defense that stays relatively healthy and plays hungrier/meaner than it did last season, Pete would of course be more inclined to stick around to the end of his current contract.

Gettyimages 493257678

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
All negated by the fact that we haven't missed the playoffs since 2011.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
It would be nice and sensible to not refer to 2016 as such an abject failure. We finished among the top 8 teams in the league, after all. More importantly, our program is on solid ground, a pivotal objective for Pete. I actually see him fulfilling his contract before bidding football adieu.

A-Dog

Reaction score
It's not Pete's "get it done" season.

It's the farewell tour for the core players on our defense before they break up the band:

Kam
Sherm
Earl
KJ
Avril
Rubin
Bennett
BWags

After this year there will be some hard decisions on what to do with these guys, starting with Kam.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'll give my opinions a bit out of order:

semiahmoo":216t1gzf said:
Just a feeling. Feel free to disregard, but I'm sticking with my earlier sense that Pete was real tired last season and downright exhausted by the end of it.

I got this sense too. Not in anything he expressly said. But really the manner and tone. There could be several reasons for it. Maybe the wear of Sherman's outright wrong outbursts (and his continued defense of them). Maybe just a tough year with injuries. Maybe the unexpected inability to run the ball. These three situations I think were unforeseeable. And definitely the first issue kind of came out of left field. Maybe there was mounting frustration as all of these continued to conspire as the season went on and got worse as the season went on.

Or just maybe, I got it all wrong and there's nothing to see here.

hints at an organization preparing for a "one more time" mentality on the part of the organization before potentially top to bottom changes are made after 2017 if things don't go as well as hoped.

I speculated before the end of last season that PC might have one foot out the door already. Yes, I know his contract has him here thru the 2019 season when he would be pushing up hard against 70 years of age but the moves this off-season give at least some suggestion of a "get it down now" mentality by Seahawks' management.

It's possible. But I don't think the moves this team has made belie that kind of thinking. We've not kicked the salary cap can down the road. We've not made huge aggressive trades to sell out the future for the now. In fact just the opposite. We've continued to be responsible with our contracts. And everything from a cap/roster state suggests that we're as forward thinking about the team as ever.

One can never discount the wear of age. But if Tom Coughlin can remain in the game and in fact be unable to walk away from it (despite the well documented draws on his attentions outside of football), then Pete should have no issues with this. I can't think of another coach approaching even his 60s who relishes and flat out loves the challenges of coaching at this level more than Pete.

I get the real sense that Carroll is going to have to be taken out of the VMAC in a hearse.

If we have a 2017 that's as bad or worse than 2016, I do think Pete will be giving serious consideration to moving that other foot out the door.

The other side of things is if RW shows up to camp healthy, lean, fast, and ready (as I think he will be) we get the O-Line disaster at least somewhat mitigated, the offensive scheme pulls its head out of its ass and learns to better utilize the enormous talent that is Graham, we have a running game that is more consistent game in and game out, and a defense that stays relatively healthy and plays hungrier/meaner than it did last season, Pete would of course be more inclined to stick around to the end of his current contract.

Personally, I think 2016 may have been his finest coaching job yet. We won our division, and reached double digit wins. We beat both Super Bowl participants (both without Bennett and with a severely hobbled Wilson). Considering the injuries we suffered, and specifically to the core guys with lots of games left on the schedule, we probably should have won no more than 7 games.

Also, I don't get the sense that Pete is driven by the end result. He's a process guy. And he seems to relish challenges, not end results. He rarely speaks of how great a record was -- but expounds endlessly about the details of the process that bore the result. He's a tinkerer. And he's a relationships guy. Those are activities and rewards that are independent of a final record.

If Pete was heading into his early 60s, I might agree in part with the 'one foot out the door' idea. But not because he wants to quit. But that he would want a fresh new mountain to climb somewhere else on the NFL landscape. I think even he would concede that his current age makes that prospect dim now. So just the opposite, I suspect that this IS his last mountain to climb. And from how this team has behaved this offseason thus far, I think the actions suggest it as well.

RussB

Reaction score
You know a team is good when its superbowl or bust every season. Making the playoffs or even having a record above .500 is considered an accomplishment for some teams.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2upydc0e said:
There's a great thread in here (1 Year FA philosophy - risky? ) that hints at an organization preparing for a "one more time" mentality on the part of the organization before potentially top to bottom changes are made after 2017 if things don't go as well as hoped.

Just a feeling. Feel free to disregard, but I'm sticking with my earlier sense that Pete was real tired last season and downright exhausted by the end of it. Coaching this version of the Hawks has become a daunting task given its growing list of shortcomings.

Gettyimages 493257678

Why are people acting like this is any different than any other year? They always sign guys to one year deals. They get them for pretty cheap, and they aren't invested long term. It allows them to keep the guys they want, like Rubin for one, and they have money to extend the guys already here.

penihawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":ebpviufo said:
I'll give my opinions a bit out of order:

semiahmoo":ebpviufo said:
Just a feeling. Feel free to disregard, but I'm sticking with my earlier sense that Pete was real tired last season and downright exhausted by the end of it.

I got this sense too. Not in anything he expressly said. But really the manner and tone. There could be several reasons for it. Maybe the wear of Sherman's outright wrong outbursts (and his continued defense of them). Maybe just a tough year with injuries. Maybe the unexpected inability to run the ball. These three situations I think were unforeseeable. And definitely the first issue kind of came out of left field. Maybe there was mounting frustration as all of these continued to conspire as the season went on and got worse as the season went on.

Or just maybe, I got it all wrong and there's nothing to see here.

hints at an organization preparing for a "one more time" mentality on the part of the organization before potentially top to bottom changes are made after 2017 if things don't go as well as hoped.

It's possible. But I don't think the moves this team has made belie that kind of thinking. We've not kicked the salary cap can down the road. We've not made huge aggressive trades to sell out the future for the now. In fact just the opposite. We've continued to be responsible with our contracts. And everything from a cap/roster state suggests that we're as forward thinking about the team as ever.

One can never discount the wear of age. But if Tom Coughlin can remain in the game and in fact be unable to walk away from it (despite the well documented draws on his attentions outside of football), then Pete should have no issues with this. I can't think of another coach approaching even his 60s who relishes and flat out loves the challenges of coaching at this level more than Pete.

I get the real sense that Carroll is going to have to be taken out of the VMAC in a hearse.

Personally, I think 2016 may have been his finest coaching job yet. We won our division, and reached double digit wins. We beat both Super Bowl participants (both without Bennett and with a severely hobbled Wilson). Considering the injuries we suffered, and specifically to the core guys with lots of games left on the schedule, we probably should have won no more than 7 games.

Also, I don't get the sense that Pete is driven by the end result. He's a process guy. And he seems to relish challenges, not end results. He rarely speaks of how great a record was -- but expounds endlessly about the details of the process that bore the result. He's a tinkerer. And he's a relationships guy. Those are activities and rewards that are independent of a final record.

If Pete was heading into his early 60s, I might agree in part with the 'one foot out the door' idea. But not because he wants to quit. But that he would want a fresh new mountain to climb somewhere else on the NFL landscape. I think even he would concede that his current age makes that prospect dim now. So just the opposite, I suspect that this IS his last mountain to climb. And from how this team has behaved this offseason thus far, I think the actions suggest it as well.

Nicely written attyla and I totally agree. Last yar was hard to watch at times and wearing on everyone. The 1 year deals are good for the clubs and they are taking advantage to plug holes in the roster without throwing the salary structure out of whack . I bet he is chomping at the bit to see how the draft plays out and get this thing goin again.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Regardless on what anyone's contract says, it is a year to year league for every player and coach in the NFL. Tomorrow is never guaranteed.

Tical21

Reaction score
Pete's not going anywhere for a while. He's giving his roster a bunch of flexibility though. Also, getting a bunch of guys on one-year contracts will force them to play urgently. This is a huge season for the core of this roster. Keep it together or blow it up.

I'm really sick of the "we make the playoffs every year, life is great" argument. If you would have told me after beating Denver that this group didn't have any more Super Bowls rings in them, I would have considered that a pretty substantial disappointment. This was/is a multiple championship roster. That now goes as Eddie Lacy does.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Pete Carroll will continue coaching for as long as he continues to enjoy doing it.

He has nothing to prove to anyone. He won this franchise its first Super Bowl championship and turned us into perennial Super Bowl contenders. He had the NFL's #1 scoring defense for four-straight seasons (until Earl Thomas's injury) and has broken a host of league records for competition, including most consecutive games without losing by more than a touchdown and by more than 10 points. He has taken the team to the playoffs in six out of seven years -- with at least one playoff win in all six of those years. The only active head coach who has accomplished more is Bill Belichick, and he would be 3-0 vs. Belichick if we would have just run the damn ball.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
It doesn't seem like Pete is the type of person that gets tired or worn down. He's always excited about what's next and in his mind it is something positive. Honestly wish I had his personality sometimes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm not going to go as far as "Pete needs to move on if he doesn't get back to another SB."

BUT, I will say of all of Sherman's antics last year, the statement he made that troubled me the most is when he kinda mocked Pete in an interview when asked about the closed door team meeting. Sherman said "you know, just another Pete kumbayah pep talk." Or something to that effect.

That tells me that Positive Pete's philosophical glass is always half full approach might indeed be wearing off on the older veterans that have heard it now for 5-6 years.

So I wouldn't say if we have another disappointing season full of the same nonsense, then no it's not time for Pete to move on, it's time to jettison some of the veterans that are soaking up all the cap space and no longer buying into what Pete's pushing.

sutz

Reaction score
When I hear it from Pete, I'll believe it. I'd bet that in Paul Allen's mind, Pete can stay and coach here as long as he wants to.

You don't fire successful coaches until they have 2-3 losing seasons in a row. We're still on our run of 10+ wins per year.

:229031_shrug:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":88qr8ovf said:
So I wouldn't say if we have another disappointing season full of the same nonsense, then no it's not time for Pete to move on, it's time to jettison some of the veterans that are soaking up all the cap space and no longer buying into what Pete's pushing.

Bingo!

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I'm looking for a life size photo of Pete Carroll's head. Can anyone help me out?

penihawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1pkrpbzy said:
I'm not going to go as far as "Pete needs to move on if he doesn't get back to another SB."

BUT, I will say of all of Sherman's antics last year, the statement he made that troubled me the most is when he kinda mocked Pete in an interview when asked about the closed door team meeting. Sherman said "you know, just another Pete kumbayah pep talk." Or something to that effect.

That tells me that Positive Pete's philosophical glass is always half full approach might indeed be wearing off on the older veterans that have heard it now for 5-6 years.

Totally agree with this as well. When it comes to Sherman I have always said, If it weren't for his play on the field or he played on another team I would hate the guy. I personally wouldn't be heartbroken to see him moved if we got the guys to plug in and play.

Largent80

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":ec5bcjvp said:
Sgt. Largent":ec5bcjvp said:

Bingo!

Yahtzee !!!!!

Reaction score
I believe that successful organizations have a bit of continuity. Look at the Pats look how long their coach has been there. Pete isn't going anywhere and I don't want him to. Who are we going to replace him with a 33 year old offensive coordinator or something. Look at some of the head coaches teams are bringing in hardly any experience what so ever. You dont replace one of the goats for the sake of shaking things up. I believe Mr. Allen has a little more smarts than that.