Coach Carroll's coaching staff going rogue!!!

cover-2

Reaction score
Coach Carroll knows what style of offense and defense he wants, yet this past year his coaching staff went rouge. Carroll wants to be a run first ball control team, yet his offensive coordinator was pass happy. Carroll wants his defense to be a Cover 3 press, yet his defensive coordinator seemed to have the CB's playing in off coverage the majority of the time. Carroll's offensive line coach looks to have waaaaaay too much say in which offensive lineman are drafted.

IMO Carroll's biggest weakness is being too faithful to his coaching staff. I'm hoping he reins in his coaching staff this year when it comes to play calling.

Here is my #1 coaching prospect for the Seahawks next offensive line coach, Utah offensive line coach Jim Harding...

Harding was a four year starter at OT for the U of Toledo, and a 1st team All-Mac selection his senior year. Harding was the offensive line coach for the most physical offensive line this past year. I first noticed Harding when I was scouting one of the Utah offensive lineman, but unfortantly I didn't save that video. Below are a couple of videos of Harding and his coaching style, which seem to fit Coach Carroll's coaching style...

Here is offensive line guru Jim Harding from 2012...
[youtube]yk8gjUdkXTE[/youtube]

And another good video of Harding, he was born to teach offensive lineman...
https://vimeo.com/111785588

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Every nuance of how the offense and defense is run goes through Pete. Nothing "rogue" about it. To think otherwise is completely foolish.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
cover-2":k040r8cl said:
Coach Carroll knows what style of offense and defense he wants, yet this past year his coaching staff went rouge. Carroll wants to be a run first ball control team, yet his offensive coordinator was pass happy. Carroll wants his defense to be a Cover 3 press, yet his defensive coordinator seemed to have the CB's playing in off coverage the majority of the time. Carroll's offensive line coach looks to have waaaaaay too much say in which offensive lineman are drafted.

IMO Carroll's biggest weakness is being too faithful to his coaching staff. I'm hoping he reins in his coaching staff this year when it comes to play calling.

Here is my #1 coaching prospect for the Seahawks next offensive line coach, Utah offensive line coach Jim Harding...

Harding was a four year starter at OT for the U of Toledo, and a 1st team All-Mac selection his senior year. Harding was the offensive line coach for the most physical offensive line this past year. I first noticed Harding when I was scouting one of the Utah offensive lineman, but unfortantly I didn't save that video. Below are a couple of videos of Harding and his coaching style, which seem to fit Coach Carroll's coaching style...

Here is offensive line guru Jim Harding from 2012...
[youtube]yk8gjUdkXTE[/youtube]

And another good video of Harding, he was born to teach offensive lineman...
https://vimeo.com/111785588
While I'd like to see a few of the under performing coaches get 86'ed, it's probably not happening anytime soon.
Wish the "always compete" and the "competition" mantras applied to the assistant coaching staff as it is for the players.

Pete's biggest strength is his loyalty, it's also his biggest weakness.

Jville

Reaction score
Pete Carroll relieved running back coach Sherman Smith of his duties this off season. And he made some adjustments to the assignments of a number of the staff.

I'd say Carroll is actively evaluating his staff.

And yes, it is spelled Rogue.

Tical21

Reaction score
Not sure. He may mean the coach has red on their face, but I'd bet he's talking about the point you get for a touchback in the CFL.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Going red? francais?

Nice post but it could have gone in about three other threads.

Frankly disagree with the negativity,

Seymour

Reaction score
After 2-3 years of harping to fire Cable and or Bevell, one has to think that another shit show like last years offense needs to be followed with a fire Pete theme. I'm not there yet and do not like the thought, but he is in charge here, and all the issues are ultimately his doing including Sherman.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Jville":3enmszmh said:
Pete Carroll relieved running back coach Sherman Smith of his duties this off season. And he made some adjustments to the assignments of a number of the staff.

I'd say Carroll is actively evaluating his staff.

And yes, it is spelled Rogue.

Pretty minor adjustments. Cable, Bevell, and Richard all need to be on a short leash this season.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
To the Moulin Rouge? Latest bonding journey?

Pete has assembled one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL. It's proven leadership has taken this perennial doormat of an organization and propped them up among the league elites. And they're not finished. I predict another Super Bowl crown for the Hawks within the next 3 years.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":fsar95jz said:

Pete has assembled one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL. It's proven leadership has taken this perennial doormat of an organization and propped them up among the league elites. And they're not finished. I predict another Super Bowl crown for the Hawks within the next 3 years.

Mike Holmgren may have a thing or two to say about that. Of course I need to remember, you probably don't know who that is.

Band Wagon much?
:pukeface:

Sealake80

Reaction score
Seymour, what you and others call a shit show... many call one of the Seahawks best seasons. There were struggles but the overall outcome was fairly positive imo.

Pete is responsible for the issues... he is responsible for the success!

I sincerely doubt any other guy could have come in and strung together this run. We got the magic. Is there any wonder he trys to hold on to it?

Changes need to made and they will be made, on coaches schedule as much as possible. If Pete can find an upgrade anywhere on the staff without doing damage to his team and win forever philosophy... he will.

Imo if Pete can't do his thing, WIN, with the Seahawks he will walk away. NOT get fired because of some fan opinions.

As for th OP. There is a dynamic tension on this team that I am not quite sure of between players and coaches... maybe coaches and coaches too! As many have said it probably goes back to the play.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Josea16":10nijwhp said:
I really hate when people spell "Rogue" as "Rouge".*

Doesn't anyone know how to spell or know English anymore?

* It's a TTRPG thing.:)

I thought the thread was going to be about the coaching staff dressing in drag for April Fool's and wearing rouge on their cheeks, you know, "going rouge", and maybe even "going mascara" too.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":d41ey29w said:
Siouxhawk":d41ey29w said:

Mike Holmgren may have a thing or two to say about that. Of course I need to remember, you probably don't know who that is.

Band Wagon much?
:pukeface:
Of course I know who Holmgren is and I layed out my journey to the Hawks recently fairly succinctly.

Maybe doormat comes off as too harsh, although there some years where that applied. But just from conversing on here, the success rate of the team as a whole was pretty bleak and just making the playoffs qualified as a thrill.

That all precipitated to deep playoff runs being the expectation when Pete and his staff got their hands on the team.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Post...

Not poster. Believe Sioux has his own thread in the Shack for that.

Back on topic (whatever the heck this thread is about)

Seymour

Reaction score
Sealake80":2cftdlfg said:
Seymour, what you and others call a shit show... many call one of the Seahawks best seasons. There were struggles but the overall outcome was fairly positive imo.

Pete is responsible for the issues... he is responsible for the success!

I sincerely doubt any other guy could have come in and strung together this run. We got the magic. Is there any wonder he trys to hold on to it?

Changes need to made and they will be made, on coaches schedule as much as possible. If Pete can find an upgrade anywhere on the staff without doing damage to his team and win forever philosophy... he will.

Imo if Pete can't do his thing, WIN, with the Seahawks he will walk away. NOT get fired because of some fan opinions.

As for th OP. There is a dynamic tension on this team that I am not quite sure of between players and coaches... maybe coaches and coaches too! As many have said it probably goes back to the play.

Many think 2016 was one of our best seasons? Wow, you are the first I've seen, but to each his own. I'm looking more at the talent level vs performance, and the mis-calculations (or flat out ineptitude) on Oline made this team very hard to watch considering the level of talent.

purpleneer

Reaction score
I'd say Pete's big weakness is his stubbornness/inflexibility, which makes him overlook the fact that the game has passed Cable by. His strength of individual coaching is mitigated by the drastic practice limitations, undersized rosters, and also his own stubbornness and unwillingness to adapt. As much as I enjoy the continued relevance, I'm concerned that the lack of flexibility is going to make it a run that stops at the one title while watching the guy most willing to adapt win multiple titles with less talented teams.