ESPN: Have Seahawks done enough to improve protection of RW?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... son-better

When discussing the Seattle Seahawks' moves along the offensive line, coach Pete Carroll made it clear that he has more confidence in the unit than many outsiders.

"I know we’ve gotten better," Carroll said last week.

gatorade3.gif

Seymour

Reaction score
LOL @ Pete sometimes.
According to Pete.....

"If George had to sit for a while, what could be better for him than sitting behind a guy who was a [No. 2] pick in the draft and knows how to play the position?"

Would Bobby Wagner or KJ Wrght have benefited sitting and watching behind Arron Curry? :shock:

Anyway, Joekel was brought in as a known risk, had a major injury, and was considered a bust from the Jags. They replaced him with an UDFA that was clearly better, yet he is good enough for a SB caliber team?

Show me please. This has Bradly Sowell / Webb written all over it IMO.
As Arians said after Cable worked his magic "Looks like the same player to me".

mikeak

Reaction score
I am cautiously optimistic about Joekel but only because of what happened in Jacksonville with the coaching

Per this Bradley and PC was talking after the firing (as should be expected). I simply cannot imagine that they discussed Joekel before we signed him. Just can't

So I am hoping we were given enough positive information which is what led to the signing and that information comes true......

nash72

Reaction score
Of course not. You know you have it bad when you consider throw away scraps from the Jaguars as an upgrade.

Seymour

Reaction score
mikeak":n93rq9zz said:
I am cautiously optimistic about Joekel but only because of what happened in Jacksonville with the coaching

Per this Bradley and PC was talking after the firing (as should be expected). I simply cannot imagine that they discussed Joekel before we signed him. Just can't

So I am hoping we were given enough positive information which is what led to the signing and that information comes true......

Do you mean you cannot image they didn't discuss Joekel??

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Gotten better? Yes. Improved enough? Hell no.

Gotten better is a no brainer, cause it couldn't have gotten worse I don't think. I still see this unit as a work in progress with far too many moving parts coming in to be anything other than sub par again.

The two things that make a good O-line is talent and continuity, and we have very little of either right now.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's J-O-E-C-K-E-L when spelled right.

In response to the question posed in the thread it's far too soon to know. In fact I doubt we will know until real game time protection is required. Those who are negative will say of course they haven't b/c did not score big players in FA, the rose colored glasseses crew will say all is well. Either could be right but at least the team is working on improvong protection for RW and being able to run which may do more for Wilson as play action will need to be respected and it won't be as easy for opposing Ds to pin back their ears and blitz Wilson. The likely answer is the OLine may be improved.

None of us know how much, some or all or none of last season's OLine will have grown from their experience of last season, how or where any of the new players including potential draft picks will play in this scheme, or who will be moving on after TC?
We all need to wait and watch.

RussB

Reaction score
They dont need the cowboys o line to be successful and make a SB run. They just need to be decent. The defense is still a championship defense and carried them last season but o line was still the downfall in the end along with the injury of ET.

All they need is decent protection for wilson and for lacy to run physical. Wilson is the best mobile QB in the league aside from rodgers.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3gu0k7rp said:
Gotten better? Yes. Improved enough? Hell no.

Gotten better is a no brainer, cause it couldn't have gotten worse I don't think. I still see this unit as a work in progress with far too many moving parts coming in to be anything other than sub par again.

The two things that make a good O-line is talent and continuity, and we have very little of either right now.

I would honestly welcome sub-par at this point. That would be a big improvement over "complete disaster" we saw last year, and to some degree early 2015 as well.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Seymour":1m8dnk28 said:
LOL @ Pete sometimes.
According to Pete.....

"If George had to sit for a while, what could be better for him than sitting behind a guy who was a [No. 2] pick in the draft and knows how to play the position?"

Would Bobby Wagner or KJ Wrght have benefited sitting and watching behind Arron Curry? :shock:

Anyway, Joekel was brought in as a known risk, had a major injury, and was considered a bust from the Jags. They replaced him with an UDFA that was clearly better, yet he is good enough for a SB caliber team?

So why was Arizona trying to resign him?

Seymour

Reaction score
Subzero717":1iqtinmk said:
Seymour":1iqtinmk said:
LOL @ Pete sometimes.
According to Pete.....

So why was Arizona trying to resign him?

I have no idea ask Bruce. But we got him as a 5 year vet L tackle at $1m per year. They couldn't have been trying very hard. I'd guess not for a starting position like we saw him as though.

Chapow

Reaction score
I don't know if they've done enough or not. What I do know is it's April 4th. There's a long way to go before next season starts including a little thing called the NFL draft that most people consider pretty helpful in improving a teams personnel.

I don't suppose there's any chance we could actually wait and see how the OL looks in pre season before we decide if they've done enough to improve? Heck, maybe we could even wait and see how they perform in actual NFL games before coming to any conclusions.

Nah, of course not. That would be reasonable and we can't have that.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Chapow":2cmcty2i said:
I don't know if they've done enough or not. What I do know is it's April 4th. There's a long way to go before next season starts including a little thing called the NFL draft that most people consider pretty helpful in improving a teams personnel.

I don't suppose there's any chance we could actually wait and see how the OL looks in pre season before we decide if they've done enough to improve? Heck, maybe we could even wait and see how they perform in actual NFL games before coming to any conclusions.

Nah, of course not. That would be reasonable and we can't have that.

REASONABLE??, REASONABLE?!?!?, YOU CAN'T HANDLE REASONABLE!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mikeak

Reaction score
Seymour":1hm7o15d said:
mikeak":1hm7o15d said:

Yes. Thanks

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So, according to that article the projected depth chart for the offensive line right now is this:

LT: Luke Joekel, George Fant, Rees Odhiambo
LG: Mark Glowinski, Luke Joekel, Rees Odhiambo
C: Justin Britt, Joey Hunt
RG: Oday Aboushi, Germain Ifedi, Mark Glowinski
RT: Germain Ifedi, Garry Gilliam

Seymour

Reaction score
mikeak":2f0pdre0 said:
Seymour":2f0pdre0 said:
mikeak":2f0pdre0 said:

Yes. Thanks

Makes sense. Well you would be right there. Pete confirmed he had conversation with Gus prior to signing Joeckel. I hope that gave him something positive as well. The way this oline operates, we will have to wait for actual game tape to know for sure though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":26gvp3rq said:
I don't suppose there's any chance we could actually wait and see how the OL looks in pre season before we decide if they've done enough to improve?.

It's April, what else are we suppose to talk about? What's wrong with taking the temperature of fans to see if they're happy with the O-line moves?

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2wheaoih said:
Chapow":2wheaoih said:
I don't suppose there's any chance we could actually wait and see how the OL looks in pre season before we decide if they've done enough to improve?.

It's April, what else are we suppose to talk about? What's wrong with taking the temperature of fans to see if they're happy with the O-line moves?

A couple of options there. Shut the site down till pre-season, or.... every response could be moderated by several members before getting posted to be certain only things people "want to read" get posted.

Chapow

Reaction score
Seymour":zcu0e1uc said:
Sgt. Largent":zcu0e1uc said:
Chapow":zcu0e1uc said:

A couple of options there. Shut the site down till pre-season, or.... every response could be moderated by several members before getting posted to be certain only things people "want to read" get posted.

Exaggerate much? Move along now new guy.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2cvnp268 said:
Chapow":2cvnp268 said:

Thanks for editing out the rest of my post.

Chapow":2cvnp268 said:

I didn't say nobody should talk about it.

My point was that it's awfully premature to be coming to any conclusions on whether or not the OL has improved enough. I'm talking about the people that are already throwing their hands up in disgust and declaring next season a disaster based on what has been done as of now, April 5th.