Some interesting Running Backs stats/different point of view

ivotuk

Reaction score
I ran across the first article last year after the draft, and while I don't completely understand what Graham Barfield is doing here, I do see some interesting points. Some things that he noticed about CJ Prosise really has me excited about this year.

And why in the hell doesn't Alex Collins get more playing time? He's been extremely successful everytime he's been given the chance! Does he look average in practices? Is there some misconception about him? Because when he gets on the field, he knocks 'em down!

"Despite a really poor combine, Alex Collins showed very well in all three Yards Created categories (per attempt, inside and outside) posting above-average scores across the board. After Thomas Rawls and his draft mate C.J. Prosise, Collins is the forgotten name entering the now Marshawn Lynch-less Seattle backfield."

Collins was selected in the 5th round this May. Collins may not light up the measurables column, but his functional athleticism and ability as a rusher is demonstrated by his rock solid Yards Created data. Regardless, any running back that is 21-years-old or younger and rushes for 1,000 yards in three straight SEC seasons needs to be on our radar.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/6 ... 16-rookies

In the GIF above, the blocking is a bit messy and there are Massachusetts defenders in the backfield almost immediately. The pulling Notre Dame right tackle executes his block on the defensive end (creating two yards blocked) and Prosise explodes through the crease. In this instance, Prosise “creates” 55 yards rushing and forced two missed tackles with speed making the crashing safety miss and blowing past the Massachusetts cornerback (No. 1).

C.J. Prosise isn’t as “sexy” of a prospect as Ezekiel Elliott, but that’s not the point. I found Prosise to be incredibly intriguing before I even thought about attempting to create this process. An absurd 23.6% of Prosise’s 2015 carries went for 10-plus yards, which was miles above the 2016 class average (15.03%) and the best in the class (of 15 prospects in the sample). Naturally, he’s my starting point.

https://fantasygametheory.wordpress.com ... j-prosise/

And if you're interested in McCaffrey for this year's draft, here's some information Graham put out on him:

McCaffrey is an all-sport athlete who played basketball and ran track (along with football) in high school. McCaffrey, too, was an all-purpose dynamo while in college at Stanford. Just one year ago, McCaffrey was widely accepted as the most versatile back in the country as he finished second to Derrick Henry for the Heisman trophy.

Let’s dig into the Yards Created data and find out why Christian McCaffrey is such a captivating prospect.

https://www.fantasyguru.com/articles/ya ... -mccaffrey

Rat

Reaction score
ivotuk":1gxah8ew said:
And why in the hell doesn't Alex Collins get more playing time? He's been extremely successful everytime he's been given the chance! Does he look average in practices? Is there some misconception about him? Because when he gets on the field, he knocks 'em down!

One good game = "extremely successfull everytime he's been given the chance"?

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Rat":2bxk4hss said:
ivotuk":2bxk4hss said:

One good game = "extremely successfull everytime he's been given the chance"?

He didn't only have one good game. He only had one game where he was given enough carries to have a visible impact. He had several good runs and catches throughout the season. Kinda hard to have an impact when you touch the ball 1 or 2 times a game. He completely transformed his body and was applauded several times by pc for his work ethic. He was coming on strong at the end of the year.

That being said, I am still baffled by the fact he didn't get very many opportunities. Makes me wonder why.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that Collins was redshirted because the team simply didn't feel that his body was ready for an NFL career yet. If they put a full work load on him, he would break down and have a short career. I expect he will follow in the footsteps of Christine Michael, but when he gets his chance next year, I think he will be better than Michael.

Prosise stunned me with how smoothly he could change gears in college. It was like he had this CVT where everyone else was driving a stick. When he would accelerate, it wasn't like you could watch him plant a foot and take off, he just was suddenly running faster. I think it's tough for a defender to get a line on him because he runs so deceptively. His top end seems Harvinesque, without the constant stumbling

I'm guessing we will run with Lacy/ Rawls as our workhorses for one year, with a big Collins/ Prosise transition next year.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Prosise has fantastic acceleration and soft hands in particular. He doesn't look that fast, but he has a stride that gets him past LBs and up to top speed pretty quickly. His top speed isn't the fastest on a football field (I don't think he had an insane forty time either, IIRC), but he gets there quickly.

I also love those wheel routes out of the backfield that we have RBs run. We had success with them with Marshawn, who wasn't an exceptional pass-catching back, so having Prosise there to stretch defenses and force LBs into coverage on those routes is awesome. I've always been a fan of good pass-catching backs because they stretch the LBs on the opposing defense and create mismatches in the passing game.

Even if he's only good for 10-12 games a year, he'll have a big impact on the looks that this team can successfully run on offense. Plus, I love watching him play.

Hyak

Reaction score
I actually thought Lynch's receiving abilities were a significantly underrated part of his game.

To the OP - Collins looked like a totally different guy late and they could do worse for a 4th RB.

Jville

Reaction score
Interesting project Graham Barfield outlines. I'm not a fantasy participate. But, fantasy interest seems to be driving a number of exploratory projects.

Much thanks to ivotuk for posting :2thumbs:

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
JTB":3fjg3g38 said:
I actually thought Lynch's receiving abilities were a significantly underrated part of his game.

To the OP - Collins looked like a totally different guy late and they could do worse for a 4th RB.

They were, but I don't think that he developed his hands until he got here. He turned into a decent route runner out of the backfield, too. He clearly put in a lot of work at it because that wasn't really in his repertoire in Buffalo, and I don't remember him being a consistent threat in the passing game at Cal, either.

Largent80

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":30dpyifz said:
JTB":30dpyifz said:

They were, but I don't think that he developed his hands until he got here. He turned into a decent route runner out of the backfield, too. He clearly put in a lot of work at it because that wasn't really in his repertoire in Buffalo, and I don't remember him being a consistent threat in the passing game at Cal, either.

Lynch is LONG gone. Who cares about what he did or developed, were talking about the NOW.

Some just need to dwell in the past. Guess what?...the world is still turning and the Seahawks have NEW players.

Look for Prosise to make impacts this year in the roll of out of the backfield RB's.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
Largent80":si9hhi30 said:
Smelly McUgly":si9hhi30 said:
JTB":si9hhi30 said:

Lynch is LONG gone. Who cares about what he did or developed, were talking about the NOW.

Some just need to dwell in the past. Guess what?...the world is still turning and the Seahawks have NEW players.

Look for Prosise to make impacts this year in the roll of out of the backfield RB's.

Good God, son. Follow along. I talked about Prosise and noted how he would upgrade the passing game with the backs, making a relevant comp to another guy who played in this system. Someone responded re: Lynch as a sidebar, so I responded to that.

Then you show up, hormonal as ever and still mad that I told you that no one cares about your ignore list, which I did like eight hours ago. You make an irrelevant comment about living in the past that has nothing to do with the comp and then say the blandest, least specific thing about Prosise making an impact.

Hormonal and too slow to put together even a faintly specific bit of analysis? Sad combination. I mean, I think I will stop posting to you across multiple threads because frankly, I should try to contain your stupidity to just one thread.

Or you could just get over being told about how no one cares who you ignore. Maybe if you do that and stop living in the past, everyone else will get over that Super Bowl.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, AC ran in to the same thing in Arkansas, other backs were ahead of him, but they kept getting hurt so AC would take over and pounded his way through the SEC. I could be confused though, happens more and more each year. :les:

Where's Air Conditioning Fan when you need him.