Boykin Arrested Again?

GeekHawk

Reaction score
To be fair, this isn't a new issue or another incident. This is another result of the last one, and was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
GeekHawk":12yc15hy said:
To be fair, this isn't a new issue or another incident. This is another result of the last one, and was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Agreed. And I think that we can assume that the Hawks had anticipated that he'd be arrested for a parole violation when Pete eluded that he'd remain on the roster.

Nevertheless, it's not good news as it probably means he'll be facing some sort of discipline from the league.

HawkGA

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3qe5dso1 said:

Yep, to me this is just a sign of our horribly inefficient criminal justice system. Heaven forbid they actually handle this when he was still in jail.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
HawkGA":3gyhbh3w said:
GeekHawk":3gyhbh3w said:

Yep, to me this is just a sign of our horribly inefficient criminal justice system. Heaven forbid they actually handle this when he was still in jail.

It takes time to violate him.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
As said it in other posts, violating probation, is serious. Many seemed fixated on the initial incident as his only offense or thought it should be viewed as such. Too bad, seemed like a real good talent.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":26zn4ufh said:
As said it in other posts, violating probation, is serious. Many seemed fixated on the initial incident as his only offense or thought it should be viewed as such. Too bad, seemed like a real good talent.

Yes, it is a violation, but as in all things, there are varying degrees of this transgression. In my mind, this is not a very flagrant violation of his probation, more of a technicality. Hopefully the court will see it this way and not revoke his probation and toss him in jail.

Personally, I think that this is an example of what's wrong with our justice system, that we go after the little minnows and let the big fish get away. But the court's decision has to be respected. If they do revoke probation and throw him in the can, then I can't see keeping him on the team.

SeaChat

Reaction score
I don't know why folks are so quick to throw Boykin under the bus. He's still just a kid for crying out loud, yes he's a multi-million dollar investment and property of the Seattle Seahawks, and they don't want him doing anything that will embarass the team or that might cause him to be seriously injured or worse yet killed.

I can't speak for anyone else in the forum, but I grew up working hard and playing hard too. Its nothing short of a miracle that I'm sitting here alive at age 60 typing this out. There were plenty of occasions where my judgement and choices as a youngster could have gotten me killed and did get me seriously injured on a few occasions. Thank God the people in my life believed in second chances and allowing a youngster to be a youngster and do the crazy crap that we do when we're young.

The second, third and fourth chances I got paid off for everyone involved in my life then and now. I think that Boykin might need a little help in the way of some counseling and being held accountable, but I don't think ending his career is a reasonable response to a fixable situation. He is a super talent as a quarter back, and could step in and take over for Wilson at any point in the season. In Pre-Season last year, which is when we got a chance to see him play in an arena where he was allowed to be a full out quarterback, he did great things, on more than one occasion pulling the team from behind and taking them to a win, when Russell had struggled early on and left the field to Boykin trailing our opponents.

I can't help but think about the hypocrisy of many of our members who are so quick to damn him for doing something stupid like he did in this case, and I'm sure its not the first or the last time he'll do it either. It was a case of being in the wrong spot at the wrong time, with the wrong person, doing the wrong things. I find myself wondering how many of the the fans who are crying for his head on a platter, are not the same folks who set in front of their televisions or in the stadium on game day drinking a half rack, and are focused on Boykin being in possession of some weed, because somehow that makes him worse.

It might help to remember that in 2017, in many US States, possession and use of weed on a recreational basis is perfectly legal. I can run down the street a few blocks from my home, walk into a store and buy weed legally and go home and use it if I like. All completely legal. I don't use weed at this stage of my life, but I accept that like alcohol or anything else, some can use it in moderation and it doesn't negatively affect their lives, others can not.

If I see anything with Boykin, is a kid who is starting to throw up some red flags related to substance abuse, and while that might be a problem for him in all areas of his life and certainly warrants attention, in Washington State where he resides most of the year, the purchase and use of weed is perfectly legal as well as is drinking so long as your 21 years of age. I'm sure the NFL has strict rules about weed showing up in blood or urine test during the season. During the off-season, I think it's out of their jurisdiction. I could be wrong about that and if I am I'm sure someone will point it out in detail.

Point being, I think everyone needs to put the hangman's ropes away, douse the torches and forget about lynching Boykin. I believe that Pete Carroll has a history of working with troubled kids and has a way of getting them on track in their lives, I think that if the organization elects to keep him on the team, its because they still have faith in him not only as a player but as a person, and feel like he must be salvageable.

I'm about as forgiving as they come and I believe that if a person falls on their face with their problems in life, and not on their ass, that it indicates they are still headed in the right direction when they get back up, If Boykin fell on his face again here, then I stand behind him, if it proves that he fell on his ass, then at some point the Seahawks will have to cut bait and let him take it to the bottom if that is what he's determined to do. I'd say his response to the recommendations of the team and the judge at this point in the game since weed is still a crime in Texas, albeit a misdemeanor, will tell all of us which way he fell and which way he's headed.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
pacific101":3vjzmert said:
I don't know why folks are so quick to throw Boykin under the bus. He's still just a kid for crying out loud, yes he's a multi-million dollar investment and property of the Seattle Seahawks, and they don't want him doing anything that will embarass the team or that might cause him to be seriously injured or worse yet killed.

I can't speak for anyone else in the forum, but I grew up working hard and playing hard too. Its nothing short of a miracle that I'm sitting here alive at age 60 typing this out. There were plenty of occasions where my judgement and choices as a youngster could have gotten me killed and did get me seriously injured on a few occasions. Thank God the people in my life believed in second chances and allowing a youngster to be a youngster and do the crazy crap that we do when we're young.

The second, third and fourth chances I got paid off for everyone involved in my life then and now. I think that Boykin might need a little help in the way of some counseling and being held accountable, but I don't think ending his career is a reasonable response to a fixable situation. He is a super talent as a quarter back, and could step in and take over for Wilson at any point in the season. In Pre-Season last year, which is when we got a chance to see him play in an arena where he was allowed to be a full out quarterback, he did great things, on more than one occasion pulling the team from behind and taking them to a win, when Russell had struggled early on and left the field to Boykin trailing our opponents.

I can't help but think about the hypocrisy of many of our members who are so quick to damn him for doing something stupid like he did in this case, and I'm sure its not the first or the last time he'll do it either. It was a case of being in the wrong spot at the wrong time, with the wrong person, doing the wrong things. I find myself wondering how many of the the fans who are crying for his head on a platter, are not the same folks who set in front of their televisions or in the stadium on game day drinking a half rack, and are focused on Boykin being in possession of some weed, because somehow that makes him worse.

It might help to remember that in 2017, in many US States, possession and use of weed on a recreational basis is perfectly legal. I can run down the street a few blocks from my home, walk into a store and buy weed legally and go home and use it if I like. All completely legal. I don't use weed at this stage of my life, but I accept that like alcohol or anything else, some can use it in moderation and it doesn't negatively affect their lives, others can not.

If I see anything with Boykin, is a kid who is starting to throw up some red flags related to substance abuse, and while that might be a problem for him in all areas of his life and certainly warrants attention, in Washington State where he resides most of the year, the purchase and use of weed is perfectly legal as well as is drinking so long as your 21 years of age. I'm sure the NFL has strict rules about weed showing up in blood or urine test during the season. During the off-season, I think it's out of their jurisdiction. I could be wrong about that and if I am I'm sure someone will point it out in detail.

Point being, I think everyone needs to put the hangman's ropes away, douse the torches and forget about lynching Boykin. I believe that Pete Carroll has a history of working with troubled kids and has a way of getting them on track in their lives, I think that if the organization elects to keep him on the team, its because they still have faith in him not only as a player but as a person, and feel like he must be salvageable.

I'm about as forgiving as they come and I believe that if a person falls on their face with their problems in life, and not on their ass, that it indicates they are still headed in the right direction when they get back up, If Boykin fell on his face again here, then I stand behind him, if it proves that he fell on his ass, then at some point the Seahawks will have to cut bait and let him take it to the bottom if that is what he's determined to do. I'd say his response to the recommendations of the team and the judge at this point in the game since weed is still a crime in Texas, albeit a misdemeanor, will tell all of us which way he fell and which way he's headed.

All for second chances. Been there myself and if they do not throw him in jail and give him some other punishment, cool, it is under the state's responsibility . The point is that probation is your second chance and one is supposed to be extra careful about staying out of trouble. Yeah things happen but the real issue is about not putting oneself in a situation where something could go wrong especially while on probation.

Many times being under probation includes not drinking, taking drugs, being around alcohol, i.e. bars and or clubs, being around drugs, this includes someone smoking weed or someone who has weed. Simply put, if one is on probation do not go out partying, don't drink, don't even get into a car with someone who might have weed on their person. That said person might screw up and get into a car accident and there you are with them.