What's the hold up with signing Reece?

King Dog

Reaction score
Reece showed he still has game last season. Waaaaaay better than Tukuafu or any other scrub we try and convert to FB. He's gonna be cheap. Don't try and be cute with projects, conversions, late round picks, or UDFA signings. Just get him under contract.

Has plenty of speed for a fullback to lose with getting older, competent blocker, will definitely be a plus for our weak OL, and has good hands out of the backfield.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
IMO, we have consistently undervalued the FB position since 2013. I don't know why we are doing it, but I know I don't like it. To really compete, we should be trying to be the best at every single position. Fullback is undervalued across the league, but that does not mean it's not a critical position for a team that wants to run the ball half the time and to establish a physical presence.

I suspect that Darrell Bevell prefers having the extra WR on the field. At USC, Carroll preferred the I-formation with a true fullback, while his offensive coordinators (Steve Sarkisian/Lane Kiffin) were angling to do away with the position. Perhaps the ex-QBs turned OCs have finally won the argument.

Does Marcel Reece want to continue playing? I thought he was playing at the highest level we have seen from the fullback position since at least 2013. He was opening up some beautiful holes, which helps the running game, which in turn takes more pressure off Russell Wilson and opens up the passing game, as the defense is forced to key on the run. Reece is also a very good receiver, which is sort of rare for the position.

RussB

Reaction score
They still havent signed him? Wow i thought he still was signed with them. They should do it asap he is very valuable. Can block, run, and catch out of the backfield as well rare to find players with that versatility.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
If the issue is saving less than $500k, by training an undrafted free agent instead of having one of the league's best all-around veteran FBs, then that's not a good way to save money. That would not be enough savings to justify what we are losing, IMO. I really hope that's not the case.

Davidess

Reaction score
Whats the rush? he doesn't have a market, he hasn't done any FA visits. I think the hawks will see how the draft plays out and bring in some vets (e.g Reece, possibly Jarhi Evans)

Hes going to be 32 by the start of the season and so I think the hawks feel there is no rush to sign him.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Davidess":39y6h0wd said:
Whats the rush? he doesn't have a market, he hasn't done any FA visits. I think the hawks will see how the draft plays out and bring in some vets (e.g Reece, possibly Jarhi Evans)

Hes going to be 32 by the start of the season and so I think the hawks feel there is no rush to sign him.

I agree with this and it is consistent with the way they handled the situation with Tukuafu. There is still a lot of roster churn to be done before game 1 and there is no reason to commit to Reese early.

Maybe there is someone in the lower rounds of the draft they feel could be better should they be available at the right value pick or perhaps another team cuts a FB with less tread on the tire and just as much percieved talent. A lot of dominoes yet to fall and they know what Reese is.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Reece probably has an offer from the team but is still looking around to see if he can do better. As others have said here there is no rush, and perhaps the draft might offer up a young candidate that is cheaper with promise to be as good.

HawkGA

Reaction score
hawknation2017":ek4kgk6l said:
If the issue is saving less than $500k, by training an undrafted free agent instead of having one of the league's best all-around veteran FBs, then that's not a good way to save money. That would not be enough savings to justify what we are losing, IMO. I really hope that's not the case.

*cough* long snapper *cough*

HawkFan72

Reaction score
If he's not on the roster Week 1, his contract is not guaranteed for the rest of the season. Look at what the Hawks did last year: they cut Tukuafu before Week 1 last year and signed him in Week 2 for that reason. Look for something similar this season.

Hyak

Reaction score
The answer is an easy one. No need to sign him until you see how the draft unfolds. If they end up drafting a FB for a spot that is on the field say 20% of the snaps, going younger and cheaper makes sense.

Reece was on the market all year until they signed him so it's not like the demand for him is crazy. I did like what he did here once he did sign on.

DJrmb

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2y8r8g5l said:
If he's not on the roster Week 1, his contract is not guaranteed for the rest of the season. Look at what the Hawks did last year: they cut Tukuafu before Week 1 last year and signed him in Week 2 for that reason. Look for something similar this season.
This is exactly right. With as close to the cap as they played things last year and as close as they are going to be this year every dollar matters. At one point last year in December they got down to 17k under the cap. By waiting they can get Reece on kind of a pay as you go plan and not be tied to him in any way. Plus they really like Cottom for the role I think.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawknation2017":ugvp68le said:
Well, they did that at long snapper last year and it cost them a game or 2 IMHO.
This FO as much as we love them, does have a few bad decisions from time to time.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
JTB":c5zyt8pe said:
The answer is an easy one. No need to sign him until you see how the draft unfolds. If they end up drafting a FB for a spot that is on the field say 20% of the snaps, going younger and cheaper makes sense.

Reece was on the market all year until they signed him so it's not like the demand for him is crazy. I did like what he did here once he did sign on.

That is the problem I am talking about. I wish we would have a FB of Reece's skill level on the field for more than 20% of the snaps - closer to 50% would make me happy. There have been games over the last two years where we didn't use a fullback at all. I think the offense needs to move away from finesse and get back to consistently establishing a physical presence.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":3knek0ie said:
HawkFan72":3knek0ie said:
This is exactly right. With as close to the cap as they played things last year and as close as they are going to be this year every dollar matters. At one point last year in December they got down to 17k under the cap. By waiting they can get Reece on kind of a pay as you go plan and not be tied to him in any way. Plus they really like Cottom for the role I think.

This may be the plan alright for Reece and I suspect he's looking for a better deal elsewhere.

BTW Cottom was an ERFA this offseason and the team did not tender him. Thus I doubt he's still in the team's plans at FB.