So who ends up trading for Sherman

HawkGA

Reaction score
Let's put aside the good idea/bad idea discussion and focus on, if a trade happens, who is he going to and what are the Hawks getting in return? I can see this making sense since the Saints already have 2 #1s and the Seahawks have some trade history with them.

Saw something a bit ago that listed the Saints as the Vegas front runner. Think the Hawks could get the 11 pick for him or would they be more likely to get the 32? Any chance they get both?

penihawk

Reaction score
DJrmb proposed RS & 26 for 11 & 32 from the Saints over in the draft forum. That trade gives us lots of possibilities in the draft but if I had to guess nobody trades for him.

nash72

Reaction score
Knowing Sherm, if a trade does go through, he would probably want to play for an NFC West team just to get back at us.

He wont go to Tennessee because they stink and he'll never be heard from again. The Saints stink too. The Raiders I could see. Who knows. Hopefully he stays put.

modernman

Reaction score
Contenders....which is what Sherm said he is only willing to consider.....that makes pretty short list...Patriots.......and then who else....

Raiders with Lynch? they would have most of the tools to make a good run for it, however IMO that would really suck if they had Sherm and Lynch from a Seahawk view..

.....Giants, are a could be this season....

Falcons...well that run could be done.....

Dallas....not a lot of cap or trade to work with, but could use Sherm

Steelers....maybe list?

Chiefs....might be a nice one two punch with Eric Berry, they may have the tools...not sure if Alex Smith can carry the load

Packers....Rodgers with a shut down corner..hmm could be a good fit...but hard to see them making a move in trade etc..

Colts....who?

Titans...I think this team may surprise many very soon...If Mariota can stay healthy..

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
nash72":3h9u7up4 said:
Knowing Sherm, if a trade does go through, he would probably want to play for an NFC West team just to get back at us.

He wont go to Tennessee because they stink and he'll never be heard from again. The Saints stink too. The Raiders I could see. Who knows. Hopefully he stays put.

And I'm betting that's exactly what happens after the media hoopla runs its course.

RussB

Reaction score
nash72":1xhew8av said:

Titans were pretty good last year before mariota got injured. A top o line and great offense.

Boycie

Reaction score
nash72":1r02zx4r said:

Good for him. Too bad he doesn't get to pick where he goes, but nice try sunshine. Aren't there some new born Labrador puppies you can go and kick.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The simple answer is no one.
....and the local sports media ends up exposed as the fools they are. 8)

toffee

Reaction score
nash72":2wcuju46 said:

Sherman sharing same locker room with that sorry receiver lol.

KillerB

Reaction score
Tennessee and the Saints have the need and draft capital. A low-ish first round pick, or similar value.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Jeez some people are just no fun. Yes we all know that the most likely scenario is no one will give up what it will take to get Sherman, but that wasn't the question.

IF Sherman somehow does get traded I think it will be to a team in "win now" mode. So the Saints definitely make sense with Brees basically at the end of his career. Patriots makes sense too in a similar situation as the Saints, especially if they lose Butler. I think a dark horse team could be the (now) LA Chargers. They have Rivers but who knows for how much longer and I think it could be important for them to try to win now to try and wrestle away as many LA fans from the Rams as possible before they set their aligences.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
While I don't believe a Sherm trade will happen this year, I can't rule out the Cleveland Browns. They have the draft pick capital, the cap space, the need for another CB, the need for a veteran alpha dog with a winning pedigree for their defense, and a known affinity for ex-Seahawks. Getting Gregg Williams as their new DC was a coup, and if he were to send out a defense this season highlighted by Sherm and Joe Haden on the corners, and the likes of Myles Garrett, Jamie Collins, Emmanuel Ogbah and Danny Shelton in their front 7- plus anyone else they get in the draft - the Browns D (and team) could get really good, really quick. Something like the Browns sending us pick #12 overall this year + a 2nd rounder next year (whichever is their highest since they have multiple) + Josh Gordon for Sherm and #26 overall this year would get my attention.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":unhm5x99 said:
While I don't believe a Sherm trade will happen this year, I can't rule out the Cleveland Browns. They have the draft pick capital, the cap space, the need for another CB, the need for a veteran alpha dog with a winning pedigree for their defense, and a known affinity for ex-Seahawks. Getting Gregg Williams as their new DC was a coup, and if he were to send out a defense this season highlighted by Sherm and Joe Haden on the corners, and the likes of Myles Garrett, Jamie Collins, Emmanuel Ogbah and Danny Shelton in their front 7- plus anyone else they get in the draft - the Browns D (and team) could get really good, really quick. Something like the Browns sending us pick #12 overall this year + a 2nd rounder next year (whichever is their highest since they have multiple) + Josh Gordon for Sherm and #26 overall this year would get my attention.
Can you trade a player who's on the commissioner's suspended list?

adeltaY

Reaction score
RussB":269isbsm said:
Titans were pretty good last year before mariota got injured. A top o line and great offense.

Great point. Their line was nasty and Conklin and Lewan should only get better as they are both quite young. Mariota struggled early on, but settled into great form right up until his injury. Dude has 30+ TDs and no INTs in the red zone over his career. That's amazing!

The Titans also seem to be stockpiling draft picks and not making huge free agency splashes a la Jacksonville. Sounds like their GM knows what he's doing. A great defensive draft and adding Sherm should make them good enough to wrest the division from those damn Texans. Doubt they would give up a boatload of picks for him though.

nash72

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":fhp5in1n said:
nash72":fhp5in1n said:

Good for him. Too bad he doesn't get to pick where he goes, but nice try sunshine. Aren't there some new born Labrador puppies you can go and kick.

Everybody has a choice. An already wealthy man that doesn't want to play for a crappy team really doesn't have to if he doesn't want to sunshine. He could sit out. Now, where's your dog?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Above all else I have to believe that one of the primary factors in the Seahawks decision making in regards to a potential trade for Sherman would be to NOT trade him to a competitive NFC team for obvious reasons.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Schneider’s in the market of acquiring high picks for Sherman here, not giving them — plus Seattle’s All-Pro cover man — away to create holes at both of the Seahawks’ cornerback spots this preseason.

Then there’s Sherman’s contract. It has two years remaining on the four-year, $56 million extension he signed in 2014. Sherman’s 2017 base pay of $11,431,000 is fully guaranteed. His salary-cap charge for this year is $13.63 million.

That would take up half or more of the cap space currently available for all but eight teams. The four that could afford him the most are the 49ers, Browns, Jaguars and Titans. Those four teams combined to go 15-49 last season.

Think Sherman would want a deal to San Francisco, Cleveland, Jacksonville or Tennessee? At age 29? At age 109?

We don’t, either.

But next year? Sherman’s so-called “dead money,” the cost against the cap should the Seahawks cut him loose, goes from $15.8 million to $2.2 million, and his scheduled base pay of $11 million is not guaranteed. That would be the time the Seahawks would have the most leverage for a rich deal. They’d have more competitive offers to trade him, to avoid him playing a final year of his contract at age 30. They’d know that unlike other potential suitors Seattle wasn’t going to give him another extension, at least not for anywhere near the cash he got in his last one.

Oh, yes, Sherman knows that in 2018 the Seahawks can cut him for just that $2 million cap charge, with an attractive cap savings of $11 million. That alone could be why he is searching for his way out of Seattle now, well before that could happen.

As Sherman said last week on ESPN: “It’s a business.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... rylink=cpy

Boycie

Reaction score
nash72":216t2esy said:
Ace_Rimmer":216t2esy said:
nash72":216t2esy said:

Everybody has a choice. An already wealthy man that doesn't want to play for a crappy team really doesn't have to if he doesn't want to sunshine. He could sit out. Now, where's your dog?

This isn't the NHL with their no trade clauses. This is a business, and sitting out isn't in his best interest because he isn't a young rookie anymore, and his days of making large money is limited.

Steve2222

Reaction score
nash72":1vpgvsjk said:

lol the Titans don't stink. They're a few pieces away and play in a poor division.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The Titans shouldn't be scoffed at. They were 9-7, lost the tiebreaker to Houston, and lost Mariota during their stretch run, so they can easily be viewed as being a couple players away from contention, and they have both cap space as well as draft capital. They belong in the discussion.